post #23011 of 23475 Old 09-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

I have a pretty simple question but wanted to ask the experts. My brother just bought an Insignia 720p plasma that has a QAM tuner. He has the most basic (I think 18 channels) Time Warner cable hook up. He connected his cable directly to the set, hit auto scan but he is not seeing any of the local HD channels (3.1, 5.1 etc). When he enters 3.1 with his remote it goes to channel 4. So my question is should he be getting those channels even with the cheapest service or would TW be blocking those channels or something else. thanks for the help.

Some TVs have separate modes for scanning either OTA channels (ATSC/8VSB format) or Cable (QAM format). Make sure his set isn't configured to look for "antenna" channels only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23012 of 23475 Old 09-13-2011, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Cable CSR's have little (if any) training for QAM service so you will almost always get goofy or inaccurate info from them.

As Cathode suggests make sure he is properly selecting the correct input and settings for QAM.
Is he getting anything on these scans like the shopping & public access ch's? Or he is getting everything except the local HD's?
post #23013 of 23475 Old 09-13-2011, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
IIRC with a digital tuner available you should also be able to receive the music channels. So that's something else to look for. Now I"m not saying Paladia or VH! HD, just the digitial music channels that cable provides.

MY NAME IS NOT BILL (but you can call me hook)

post #23014 of 23475 Old 09-13-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just an update on this weird situation. My brother still can't get the local HD stations even after scanning on cable or antenna or whatever other setting is on the 42" 720p Insignia plasma. We confirmed that his new display has all three tuners but after scanning and going to channel list he is only showing 22 channels (when he scans set to cable he says it goes to 120 or so). So no matter what he does only those channels are showing up after a scan. I don
't know if this matters but he has been on TW old $8 a month plan for their most basic cable plan for a very long time so could that be the problem? Would they not include the clear channels for that plan or have a filter placed on his line. Anyway, it's all a bit strange to the point that I even suggested since he only wants those 12 or so channels to just get an antenna since FoolTV indicates he can get all those easily with one. So the beat goes on. thanks again.

post #23015 of 23475 Old 09-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just an update on this weird situation. My brother still can't get the local HD stations even after scanning on cable or antenna or whatever other setting is on the 42" 720p Insignia plasma. We confirmed that his new display has all three tuners but after scanning and going to channel list he is only showing 22 channels (when he scans set to cable he says it goes to 120 or so). So no matter what he does only those channels are showing up after a scan. I don
't know if this matters but he has been on TW old $8 a month plan for their most basic cable plan for a very long time so could that be the problem? Would they not include the clear channels for that plan or have a filter placed on his line. Anyway, it's all a bit strange to the point that I even suggested since he only wants those 12 or so channels to just get an antenna since FoolTV indicates he can get all those easily with one. So the beat goes on. thanks again.

You likely have the upper frequencies trapped out if you only have lifeline basic, so this would explain the behavior. Regular basic and above would not have this issue. Your options would be to move to upgrade to a higher tier or use an antenna for the OTA HDs. If you're on the SW side of Cleveland you could probably get by with an indoor antenna.
post #23016 of 23475 Old 09-13-2011, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathode Kid View Post

You likely have the upper frequencies trapped out if you only have lifeline basic, so this would explain the behavior. Regular basic and above would not have this issue. Your options would be to move to upgrade to a higher tier or use an antenna for the OTA HDs. If you're on the SW side of Cleveland you could probably get by with an indoor antenna.

thanks for the update. I don't think he wants to upgrade his cable so maybe he'll opt for the antenna. I just feel bad for him since he finally broke down and got the new display only to have this happen after I told him he could at least have local HD with a new set, not realizing this was a possible scenario.

post #23017 of 23475 Old 09-13-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks for the update. I don't think he wants to upgrade his cable so maybe he'll opt for the antenna. I just feel bad for him since he finally broke down and got the new display only to have this happen after I told him he could at least have local HD with a new set, not realizing this was a possible scenario.

It really depends on where he is at in regards to several thing as to whether or not he's going to get a good signal.

Where I live I could only get about 5 channels via antenna. Now granted, I didn't have a good high quality antenna and it was an indoor antenna. But some of the channels, like FOX 8 still broadcast on VHF. Digital signals do not carry well on VHF.

Most of us are familiar with antennaweb.org and they do the best they can but as I said it sort of depends where you live. I'm about 40 minutes from Cleveland and I can't get squat, but someone in Akron probably can.

He's entitled to free HD television if he can receive it. If that doesn't work though he will have to get basic cable, not life line. If he does get a good signal he will be quite pleased I'm sure.

Now I'm not throwing you out of here, I'm just letting you know that if you need more assistance in regards to antennas and such there is another Cleveland forum on OTA that split off of this one. Good people over there, they will be more then willing to help you. Good luck.

post #23018 of 23475 Old 09-14-2011, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I second the idea of just getting a good antenna for the HD locals, picture quality will often be better than on cable anyway.

I'm in SW Cleveland (Strongsville, almost into Columbia Station) and I use a very discreet outdoor antenna to pick up all Cleveland HD locals.

Poster Coldwar just posted a pic of his Winegard MS 2000 amplified omnidirectional saucer antenna (same one I use) in the Cleveland OTA forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...139546&page=73
post #23019 of 23475 Old 09-14-2011, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Has he tried to punch in the HD channels directly? 3-1, 5-1, 8-1, etc. Just wondering.

Ben Music
post #23020 of 23475 Old 09-14-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Music View Post

Has he tried to punch in the HD channels directly? 3-1, 5-1, 8-1, etc. Just wondering.

Ben Music

Already been asked and answered.

post #23021 of 23475 Old 09-20-2011, 10:15 AM

Hello. My old SA8300HD is taken a dump. I'll be heading to an office to swap for a new one tomorrow. Is there any thing newer/better/higher capacity available then the old SA8300 I should be asking for?
post #23022 of 23475 Old 09-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I know this is really stupid but is he punching in 3-1 or 3.1?
JJK
post #23023 of 23475 Old 09-20-2011, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petem23 View Post

Hello. My old SA8300HD is taken a dump. I'll be heading to an office to swap for a new one tomorrow. Is there any thing newer/better/higher capacity available then the old SA8300 I should be asking for?

What they have available may depend on where you live. There is a Samsung that they use now, and you certainly can ask for it but what you get is what they have available for you.

Most people seem to have pretty good luck getting what they want.

I'm sure you know they also offer a whole house DVR. More money, of course.

post #23024 of 23475 Old 09-20-2011, 06:48 PM

Im in Westlake. Hopefully they will have the Sammy when i trade in tomorrow.

I received an update on the Sa8300 last night. Anyone know if there are any new features? The only thing i can see is it looks like a different font when you fast-forward or rewind and if you hit guide twice it brings up a new menu called "select guide channels".
post #23025 of 23475 Old 09-20-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I've only heard one negative report about the Samsung and that member doesn't come around anymore. He also preferred SARA over Navigator.

I really don't see what difference the machine you use matters. You'll still be running Navigator, and it will update just like yours did last night.

post #23026 of 23475 Old 09-20-2011, 07:27 PM

For some reason my Samsung pn50c550 plasma has never played right with the SA8300. I have to force 1080i resolution to the tv or the picture gets funky when resolutions change. Hopefully a Sammy box will play nicer. Plus the Sa8300 is an eye sore.

The reason im trading is the record light never goes off on the box, the remote dvr service never works, and the box freezes at least once a week.
post #23027 of 23475 Old 09-21-2011, 03:23 PM

No luck on the Samsung box. North Olmstead office gave me a sa8300hdc and a new remote ur5u-8780L both of which are absolute junk! The lag on the box is unbelievable. Push guide and 2-3 seconds later it comes up. The software is also different than my old 8300hd with fewer features.
The new remote has to be pointed directly at the box! If your off by a degree or two, nothing. Extremely annoying.

Anyone know how/where i can get the Samsung DVR?

These boxes have been out since 2007. I have paid for this thing 10 times over, you'd think i would be able to get the box i want or at least things that work.
post #23028 of 23475 Old 09-21-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No luck on the Samsung box. North Olmstead office gave me a sa8300hdc and a new remote ur5u-8780L both of which are absolute junk! The lag on the box is unbelievable. Push guide and 2-3 seconds later it comes up. The software is also different than my old 8300hd with fewer features.
The new remote has to be pointed directly at the box! If your off by a degree or two, nothing. Extremely annoying.

Anyone know how/where i can get the Samsung DVR?

These boxes have been out since 2007. I have paid for this thing 10 times over, you'd think i would be able to get the box i want or at least things that work.

I'm not even certain you can use the Samsung Box in your area. I know that in the old "Native" TWC area they were available.

To the best of my knowledge the HDC is the "latest" TWC box. And yes, you could have paid for it several times over but remember that even if you did your average DVR probably goes 5 years IF you're lucky. That's why you rent, right?

Of course you could upgrade to their new whole house system. But don't expect anything new in DVR's, TWC is just going to recycle what they have. They probably are out of Samsung (if available) anyway.

TiVo's and other DVR's are available as well. I didn't get a TiVo just so I could have my own DVR, I thought the SA 8300 was a piece of garbage.

post #23029 of 23475 Old 09-21-2011, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Well over bere in Bainbridge we are enjoying the luxury of a power outage and cable outage. Anybody else? I've been down on power for a couple of hours and cale went out around 6:30.

I do have a natural gas powered generator.

I think power just came on. Yep but still no internet. Modem is flashing like its on. Well thats back too. Nevermind.

post #23030 of 23475 Old 09-22-2011, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I see they updated the software recently. Some features such as favorites have changed.
post #23031 of 23475 Old 09-26-2011, 05:30 PM

So i've had this SA8300 HD box for a few days now. For some reason i dont have all of the menu options I had with the standard 8300HD. Most importantly I have no audio options. I have my tv connected HDMI but my audio receiver is connected via digital coax. Before i had the option under audio settings to choose where to route the audio signal. HDMI, Dolby Digital, or PCM where the options. Now i have no way to send DD to my receiver. Is this a limitation of the box or a software issue? I have unplugged and rebooted to try and get an update or something to try and resolve the issue but that has lead nowhere. Any help is much appreciated.
post #23032 of 23475 Old 09-26-2011, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So i've had this SA8300 HD box for a few days now. For some reason i dont have all of the menu options I had with the standard 8300HD. Most importantly I have no audio options. I have my tv connected HDMI but my audio receiver is connected via digital coax. Before i had the option under audio settings to choose where to route the audio signal. HDMI, Dolby Digital, or PCM where the options. Now i have no way to send DD to my receiver. Is this a limitation of the box or a software issue? I have unplugged and rebooted to try and get an update or something to try and resolve the issue but that has lead nowhere. Any help is much appreciated.

I'm pretty sure that setting is there. I remember seeing it there, there is no way they would not have it on the SA8300 HDC. Go through your settings again and don't look for sound, look for something like Audio and see if it's on Coax. If it is you should be able to just press the up button and it will switch.

Now if you had an SA8000, that was the one before that then that option wouldn't be available. But the first SA8300 definitely had it. I'm sure the HDC does too.

This is something that a CSR can step you through. If you can't find it give them a call. It's got to be there.

post #23033 of 23475 Old 09-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
If memory serves, and I don't know if it's changes since I've been with TW, but the HDC boxes have a completely extra menu for some box specific settings compared to the non-HDC boxes where it was all combined into the main Navigator settings menu. I wanna say to get to it you hit the settings button and then hit the 'A' button on the remote (should say on the screen somewhere?)

Another thing to keep in mind is I seem to recall the HDC boxes were bad about retaining settings specifically when it came to running HDMI and audio separate over optical/coax. It would revert to HDMI after soft-cycling the box. Once again, been a while and I'm fuzzy on all of it.

post #23034 of 23475 Old 09-26-2011, 06:17 PM

Thanks guys. I finally found it. Its under quick settings - devices for some reason. You will find the audio coding, audio d-range, and volume controll in this menu.
post #23035 of 23475 Old 09-27-2011, 11:36 AM

Since the software update last week I've had to reboot my 8300 box twice and it has rebooted on it own after locking up at least 3 times.
Nice
post #23036 of 23475 Old 09-27-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguitarman View Post

Since the software update last week I've had to reboot my 8300 box twice and it has rebooted on it own after locking up at least 3 times.
Nice

I remember one of the things I use to try to do with mine to get it working right was like a reset or a format. It didn't actually remove any recordings. but it cleaned things up, supposedly. I never could get it working right, I went through 3 of them and they all did the same thing. Miss recordings for no reason.

Anyway there is a page in the DVR section on the front of the forum where on page one they go through a lot of basic procedures. You may want to look at that.

post #23037 of 23475 Old 09-28-2011, 08:58 AM

It looks like I received some sort of software upgrade to my boxes in the Canton, OH area. Does anyone know what it was for or what it entailed? I couldnt find any info on it and this is the first I have heard of the upgrade. I am not sure if I am a fan of it. Seems like the guide goes to SD when you bring it up or my TV is fooled by the guide and tries resizing it. Also, when you cancel a show recording, the box to do so seems to fall off the bottom of the TV. Weird
Thanks for any info you could provide!

mgd

PSN: MGD6912
post #23038 of 23475 Old 09-28-2011, 11:18 AM

Another power cycle this morning. I get up and like only 1 channel works, the rest are blank.
post #23039 of 23475 Old 10-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Does anyone else hate the new TW Navigator update as much as I do? The screens look like they were designed by a 6 year old, you now need multiple clicks just to get out of the guide, and the worst is how they screwed up the Scheduled Recordings list. It seems that you can't just easily delete shows like you always could before. I've spent the last half hour trying to delete Terra Nova and Homeland (set up as Series), but Navigator keeps them in the list and changes the recording date instead of deleting them. It insists on recording Terra Nova tonite, when it is a rerun from earlier in the week. What a pain!

Anyone have any ideas on how to live with this mess?
post #23040 of 23475 Old 10-01-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Absolutely. Get rid of it and get a TiVo.

With TiVo you can set it up for first run only and there is a "28 day" rule. That means that if the same episode shows up on a season pass anytime after 28 days it won't record it. You can also tell it to skip a recording without canceling the season pass.

Now I'm pretty sure you can do the same thing with Navigator as far as setting up first run programs, but I have no idea why you wouldn't be able to cancel it.

My guess is that maybe it doesn't delete it immediately. The other guess I have as to why Terra Nova would show up when you already recorded it is that it's getting bad guide data from whomever is providing it.

Even my great TiVo has that happen once in a while. You'll see it is going to record a show that isn't suppose to be recorded. Usually it's because either the episode number is missing or it has a generic description of the show, not the description of the episode. However usually TiVo catches that and cancels the recording before it gets to it.

Truth is if you want better performance from a DVR you may have to pay extra for it. I haven't looked for a while but I'd try to find something that uses tru2way in a DVR if there is one available. They are obligated to allow you to use your own DVR if you choose.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page