Forum Jump: 

post #23041 of 23471 Old 10-01-2011, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scnrfrq View Post

Does anyone else hate the new TW Navigator update as much as I do? The screens look like they were designed by a 6 year old, you now need multiple clicks just to get out of the guide, and the worst is how they screwed up the Scheduled Recordings list. It seems that you can't just easily delete shows like you always could before. I've spent the last half hour trying to delete Terra Nova and Homeland (set up as Series), but Navigator keeps them in the list and changes the recording date instead of deleting them. It insists on recording Terra Nova tonite, when it is a rerun from earlier in the week. What a pain!

Anyone have any ideas on how to live with this mess?

Press "List" on the remote, then go to "Series Manager" on the menu list at the bottom of the screen, then select the series that you want to delete or make changes to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23042 of 23471 Old 10-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbclev View Post

Press "List" on the remote, then go to "Series Manager" on the menu list at the bottom of the screen, then select the series that you want to delete or make changes to.

I finally did have to go into the series list and delete it there. It still didn't cancel Terra Nova until I went in again and deleted it separately.

Now I see I also have an issue with picture size on 2 of my my TVs. I always had the DVR in Stretch mode before, but now it is cutting off the scrolls on TBS for the playoff games. If I change it to normal, it looks OK. But then non-HD programs don't fill the screen. My 3rd TV is also on stretch, but it still looks OK. Can anyone suggest proper settings? Why would picture size change with a revised Navigator?
post #23043 of 23471 Old 10-01-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I finally did have to go into the series list and delete it there. It still didn't cancel Terra Nova until I went in again and deleted it separately.

Now I see I also have an issue with picture size on 2 of my my TVs. I always had the DVR in Stretch mode before, but now it is cutting off the scrolls on TBS for the playoff games. If I change it to normal, it looks OK. But then non-HD programs don't fill the screen. My 3rd TV is also on stretch, but it still looks OK. Can anyone suggest proper settings? Why would picture size change with a revised Navigator?

This use to be done in set up. You are using the buttons on your TW remote to stretch it. That's not how HD is done.

Setup Wizard. UG-3 Instructions for Advanced Setup Wizard to choose TV type and resolutions, done after the box has received it's initial download from your cableco.
Using Power button on unit (not remote), turn off power, then press both GUIDE/INFO at same time.
Choose Easy or Advanced setup - Easy selects 1080i output only - Advanced provides options for TV type (4x3 or 16x9) and user selected outputs.
Follow instructions on the screen. Read instructions carefully. If screen goes blank, it is trying to display a resolution not supported by TV - disable resolution.

Everything you need to know about how to work your DVR is here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=471859.

That should get you straightened out.

MY NAME IS NOT BILL (but you can call me hook)

post #23044 of 23471 Old 10-02-2011, 05:20 PM

Anyone else getting audio-only on the History International / H2 channel (1136)?

Believe it has been this way for a few days.

TiVo user if that makes a difference.
post #23045 of 23471 Old 10-05-2011, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm just putting this up here for anybody who may have thought about TiVo. I don't think you can possibly get one cheaper then this, but they do lock you into a whopping $20.00 a month.

I'm not biting, I have lifetime service, it only offers 25 hours more HD record time then my current TiVo's and I have eSATA's on both of them.

But if you want hulu plus, netflix, 1080p, then you might be interested. 1 day only.

http://www3.tivo.com/promo/cascade/c...T.mc_id=EM6031

post #23046 of 23471 Old 10-05-2011, 12:50 PM

Your forgot to mention that you have to have a subscription to hulu plus and netflix so that's roughly another $20 a month for both. Plus the cost of the Cable card and tuning adapter.

One persons bug is a developers unintended feature.
post #23047 of 23471 Old 10-05-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by its.mike View Post

Your forgot to mention that you have to have a subscription to hulu plus and netflix so that's roughly another $20 a month for both. Plus the cost of the Cable card and tuning adapter.

lol, I didn't forget to mention it, I just thought everyone knew that. Of course netflix, Amazon, all that stuff you see is extra. The only thing that isn't would be YouTube and I think Pandora is free, I'm not certain. But you can't access any of that with any TW DVR, including their new whole house one. This just gives you access to these things on your television. That and it does 1080p.

Like I said it's a good deal if you want TiVo. You can always negotiate a lifetime service with them, thats what I did.

Tuner adapter is free. Cable card is $5.00.

TiVo is a luxury. it's not for someone who has a tight budget, no doubt. And you have to be willing to lose a lot of TWC features like On Demand. I just was passing along word since it's a 1 day deal, nothing more.

post #23048 of 23471 Old 10-06-2011, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Pandora has an ad supported free service and is limited to 40 streaming hours per month.
Paid Pandora has no commercials and is unlimited streaming, also offers higher bitrate streams.
I presume Tivo is like any other device and allows access to the free Pandora service.

BTW & OT: Napster is going away being absorbed (purchased by) Rhapsody.
post #23049 of 23471 Old 10-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post

Pandora has an ad supported free service and is limited to 40 streaming hours per month.
Paid Pandora has no commercials and is unlimited streaming, also offers higher bitrate streams.
I presume Tivo is like any other device and allows access to the free Pandora service.

BTW & OT: Napster is going away being absorbed (purchased by) Rhapsody.

40 hour limit is gone
post #23050 of 23471 Old 10-08-2011, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Stuewe View Post

40 hour limit is gone

Great news! Thanks
post #23051 of 23471 Old 10-11-2011, 03:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Now I'm also having issues with the DVR needing to be rebooted fairly often and the closed captioning hardly works at all. Is no one else having any issues since the Navigator latest release?
post #23052 of 23471 Old 10-11-2011, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I reported the same thing a few weeks ago after the last update.
I typically have to reboot the dvr every few days. Besides locking up at times it cant go to any of the channels or sometimes will only go to 1 or 2 channels and the rest are blank.
Seems to occur most often late night and I have lost recordings due to the problem.
post #23053 of 23471 Old 10-11-2011, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguitarman View Post

I reported the same thing a few weeks ago after the last update.
I typically have to reboot the dvr every few days. Besides locking up at times it cant go to any of the channels or sometimes will only go to 1 or 2 channels and the rest are blank.
Seems to occur most often late night and I have lost recordings due to the problem.

Exactly what I'm experiencing! All of sudden, I only can see a couple locals, and the rest are just blank. Very strange. A reboot is then necessary. It happened again last nite, and I also lost recordings. Glad I'm not alone with this. Way to go, TW!
post #23054 of 23471 Old 10-11-2011, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

First, I'll assume both of you have actual HD televisions. Now if you have an HD television and you have it set on the basic 1080i setting, then you will have panels on both sides of the non had programming. If you use the stretch on the remote it will stretch the HD picture beyond the parameter of the HD picture. This will only happen if you use the stretch on the HD. So you need to put the picture back at the normal setting when watching HD.

Really it shouldn't happen at all, my TiVo will not stretch any HD, it knows that's the proper size without me telling it. But I've seen the SA 8300 and I know it does this.

Now this is why I gave you the instructions on setting up HD. That way when you are watching an HD channel you with HD programming you will see it as it is meant to be seen.

If you're watching a SD channel, be it digital or analog then you can set your DVR to show that picture on the proper setting on your television, however you may also have to do the same thing with your television to make it work properly. Depends on the television.

If this was working all fine before you got the update and you have gone through set up again and checked both the television and the DVR, I don't know. I do know that you do not stretch your picture when you are on TBS HD. That will distort the picture and put the logo where you can't see it.

Now as far as these other issues about not having a picture in the instructions I copied it said this: Read instructions carefully. If screen goes blank, it is trying to display a resolution not supported by TV - disable resolution.

I'm just going back over the basics here and maybe you're saying yeah, we know all that. If that's the case I can't give you any further help on picture.

A DVR that reboots frequently is usually the sign of either a hard drive that's going bad or a bad power supply. You may have to return it again. As far as night time goes, there might be something to that. Maybe they are making adjustments or doing something at TWC. I don't know. I do know that SDV can cause some issues on my TiVo from time to time. However that's like talking apples and oranges.

My guess with the reboots is with all these old DVR's they got out there it's probably hard drives going out. I have no idea how closely they check these things when someone turns it in.

In any case an update shouldn't be causing all these problems. I'm sorry if I wasn't much help.

One bit of a warning: If you have TWC come out to look at the issue ask if they will charge you something for coming out. They are slipping in $9.95 house visits now and not informing people. If you catch it you can say something and they will take it off, but ask first in case they stop doing that. Comcrap will charge you the same thing if they come out and they don't find anything wrong with your cable. They all are making money anyway they can.

post #23055 of 23471 Old 10-11-2011, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My TV displays all resolutions 480,720 and 1080
I had no problems at all until a few weeks ago when the most recent update came through. This update also changed some of the menus and functions and added the favorites menu to the channels display.
Its not a display problem, its like the DVR refuses to decode various channels until a reboot.
post #23056 of 23471 Old 10-11-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, maybe Cathode Kid knows what's going on, he's got all the info on all this stuff.

post #23057 of 23471 Old 10-11-2011, 02:34 PM

I have been all kinds of problems recently with pixilation and stuttering on HD channels. Also, my DVR has been stuttering during almost every recording. Makes watching anything super annoying. I have a 8300HD connected via HDMI to the tv.
post #23058 of 23471 Old 10-11-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I rarely watch live television unless it's the news or sports. I did notice some problems on TBSHD but this was a complete drop off of the picture and sound. I checked other channels and they were fine and after about two minutes it was back up.

But I haven't had issues with recordings, at least nothing worth mentioning. If there is Sunspot activity going on that's usually the cause.

It could be a variety of things. If it's cable then it may be that you are either running hot or not getting enough signal. TWC can fix that. It could be the DVR I suppose too.

You can try getting another DVR or have them do a service call if it doesn't improve.

post #23059 of 23471 Old 10-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPilot_Mike View Post

I have been all kinds of problems recently with pixilation and stuttering on HD channels. Also, my DVR has been stuttering during almost every recording. Makes watching anything super annoying. I have a 8300HD connected via HDMI to the tv.

Right off the bat, try removing the HDMI cable and using YPbPr analog. This will isolate whether the stuttering is happening at the input or output of the box. HDMI has it's own set of issues so it's good to isolate it from the equation. If it still stutters using analog, chances are that your signal is either too hot, too low or distorted. TWC can read your signal levels remotely so it only takes a phone call to have this checked.

Not too familiar with the latest firmware push.

Also sun outage activity ran from October 1st to about October 10th and occurs between around noon - 5:15pm. Sun outages happen every spring and fall and are related to position of sun, earth and satellite dish. Sun spots and CMEs are different and can happen anytime, but they usually affect radio comms and power lines.
post #23060 of 23471 Old 10-17-2011, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathode Kid View Post

Right off the bat, try removing the HDMI cable and using YPbPr analog. This will isolate whether the stuttering is happening at the input or output of the box. HDMI has it's own set of issues so it's good to isolate it from the equation. If it still stutters using analog, chances are that your signal is either too hot, too low or distorted. TWC can read your signal levels remotely so it only takes a phone call to have this checked.

Not too familiar with the latest firmware push.

Also sun outage activity ran from October 1st to about October 10th and occurs between around noon - 5:15pm. Sun outages happen every spring and fall and are related to position of sun, earth and satellite dish. Sun spots and CMEs are different and can happen anytime, but they usually affect radio comms and power lines.

Picky picky picky. Sunsposts, sun outages, it has to do with the sun.

Please excuse my lower comprehension on such hi-tech matters, most knowledgeable one.

I'll bet a hundred dollars it's not the HDMI but it's a good idea to test with component cable just to make sure. That's what most of us not so hi-tech common folk refer to YPbPr as.

post #23061 of 23471 Old 10-24-2011, 05:13 PM

Hi everybody:

Just wanted to invite you all to check out the new (3 weeks old) Cleveland Classic Media Messageboard;;

http://clevelandmedia.boardhost.com/index.php

Not a lot of activity as yet..This board is related to my Cleveland Classic Media Blog..I have several forums going, including General TV/Radio talk, either vintage or recent..We also talk about recent stories about media as well..

There's also forums for every full-power station in the Cleveland Market, and a place to talk about former stations..

Been wanting to do this for awhile, but more people would make it more fun..

Two things:

1. Just follow the instructions to join..To avoid spam from the outset, I will approve all new members..

2. Any technical TV questions, reception, etc..will be referred to this thread and the Cleveland/OTA Thread at avsforum.com..

Thanks..
post #23062 of 23471 Old 11-04-2011, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

TWC has once again increased the price for their services. This time it has come in the form of HBO going from $12 to $14.oo and then they have rolled several of my services into a packadge. Bottom line, my cable bill went up over 8.00.

Something to think about. They said to me that you were informed of this on your last statement, but the wording wasn't cleara all.

So ceck you bills TWC people. Tells us about your price increase.

post #23063 of 23471 Old 11-05-2011, 05:37 AM

Anybody else having trouble with "Series Manager" and NBC shows?

For the past couple weeks my NBC shows that I have set to record have not been scheduled by the DVR.
I've had to manually schedule episodes to record. Specifically it has been "The Office" and "Parenthood."

I double checked. Set to record as follows:
New episodes
All showings
Keep up to 5 episodes

I checked and I have plenty of room (approx 50%) of available space.
I have no conflicts.
These shows are at top of priority list.
I'm not at the limit of shows to keep.

Other shows on ALL others networks are recording fine.

The episodes have been NEW and the guide even says they are NEW in the description.
post #23064 of 23471 Old 11-09-2011, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Been having a lot of trouble lately with TW with having to reboot my boxes. Most of the channels just disappear with blank screens all of a sudden. Once I reboot, things are OK for a couple days. It started after their last update about a month ago.

Anyone else going thru this?
post #23065 of 23471 Old 11-09-2011, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I have started to switch back to Time warner because of costs of the switchback program which I am told my price WILL NOT go over 130 a month over the next three years for tv and internet, which is amazing to me...anyways I have had zero problems (its only been two weeks I know) and have really really enjoyed the new time warner ( I have been gone for 3-4 years) The look back and Start over programs are working very well and are life savers for people with newborns or kids in general as we always seem to miss some of prime time! I will write more later but I wanted to throw that out there now.
post #23066 of 23471 Old 11-09-2011, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Been having a lot of trouble lately with TW with having to reboot my boxes. Most of the channels just disappear with blank screens all of a sudden. Once I reboot, things are OK for a couple days. It started after their last update about a month ago.

Anyone else going thru this?

My 8300 DVR has been a mess for a few weeks now. We lost many of the series recordings that have been in the box for awhile now and we still have trouble recording when we reprogram the series. I have had this problem in the past with firmware upgrades but this seems more chronic than in the past. I am going to try swapping the box out next. The problem has not affected me much since practically all the shows I had been recording are in the Prime Time On Demand channel selections so I can get to them the next day.

I'm in Mentor,

Ray
post #23067 of 23471 Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Horrible performance on my TW box in the Macedonia area.

Recorded Glee, while watching the recording there was a scene that the macro blocking got so bad that the entire box froze and nothing worked. tried again and exact same spot froze. Pulled the power again and had to fast forward through that part of the show to get it to work.

I have noticed that a lot of recording at night now are getting lots of blocking, stuttering, and freezes, really ruining the shows. In addition, randomly a show will not record. No rhyme or reason. Just suddenly doesn't record something and there are no conflicts in the listing.

Getting so fed up, but my neighbor has satellite and he has nothing but problems in our area, they are out all the time, so hesitant to switch.

Does TW finally have a new box over this old gray (8300 I think it is)?

post #23068 of 23471 Old 11-10-2011, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

WilliamR, Satellite television is so much better then cable there is really no comparison. If your neighbor was having issues it could be due to solar activity, which would also explain your issue during whatever recording you may have been making.

You do get a bit of rain fade but that's only from a real heavy storm. If he's having issues all the time then maybe he needs to get his dish adjusted. Heavy winds and such can cause these thing to move a bit.

As far as DVR goes, we've discussed that many times. Please take the time to read a few pages back.

post #23069 of 23471 Old 11-10-2011, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, at least part of my house had a failure. It appears that on my set in the birds room where there are no boxes and TV is hooked up directly to the cable the message went off without a hitch, however my set where the TiVo is hooked up to the big screen got nothing but a grey screen. No message or sound, not even Lady Gaga.

I happened to be on CNNHD when the test occurred, which meant I was on an SDV channel. When the test concluded and programming resumed I heard the tone the my DVR makes when you are searching for something and it finds it. That was sort of odd.

So I'm kind of wondering how other boxes and DVR's did. Was anyone around that had a box or a DVR and what was your experience?

I think it's almost funny that as many years that we've had this, going back to when it was the Emergency Broadcast System this is the first time anyone tried to use it on a national level.

post #23070 of 23471 Old 11-10-2011, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill View Post

WilliamR, Satellite television is so much better then cable there is really no comparison. If your neighbor was having issues it could be due to solar activity, which would also explain your issue during whatever recording you may have been making.

You do get a bit of rain fade but that's only from a real heavy storm. If he's having issues all the time then maybe he needs to get his dish adjusted. Heavy winds and such can cause these thing to move a bit.

As far as DVR goes, we've discussed that many times. Please take the time to read a few pages back.

They came out and replaced his dish with a larger dark grey version. Then they have been out twice since with a large ladder on the side of his house.

My parents had satellite last year and the tech had to come out monthly, they always lost picture quality and it was always blamed on rain. We get some serious storms around here. Not sure if the location wasn't idea (picked up the wind) but they got so frustrated they took it out and switched back.

Makes me nervous, I can't take off work that often to wait for a tech to come out but my cable performance makes me want to smash something, I'm getting sooo fed up with this crap.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page