post #23161 of 23464 Old 04-02-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill View Post

Sure, or something similar. If the channel isn't available then it can't record anything.

I frequently have an issue with Spyke on my oldest TiVo. I think it's just a matter of either the tune adapter doesn't change to the channel fast enough because it's SDV or my TiVo is slow following up.

I don't have Tivo or a tune adapter, and I thought SDV would make a channel unavailable if few people were trying to tune to a channel. But I find it hard to believe that nobody in the Cleveland suburbs wanted to watch the highly touted season opener of The Killing. And I have seen zero problems with "channel not available" messages in many, many months.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23162 of 23464 Old 04-02-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

I don't have Tivo or a tune adapter, and I thought SDV would make a channel unavailable if few people were trying to tune to a channel. But I find it hard to believe that nobody in the Cleveland suburbs wanted to watch the highly touted season opener of The Killing. And I have seen zero problems with "channel not available" messages in many, many months.

What it does is basically lock the channel up, at least that's what I see. I know that SDV isn't just for one individual channel but for a group of channels. So if you have a lot of people say on Spike and True is on the same group then True will stay on.

And it does it by polling. How that works exactly Cathode Kid would have to explain if he knows. I don't have a clue.

SDV didn't cause that channel to go down. Something else did, maybe a technical issue coming out of your head end. Hard to say.

MY NAME IS NOT BILL (but you can call me hook)

post #23163 of 23464 Old 04-15-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I tried to turn on MLBnet HD this morning and I see the message saying TiVo does not receive this channel or something similar. Looked at my Tuner Adapter and saw that green light flashing 8 times and a pause. Started towards my computer area and thought maybe I should check upstairs too. Yep, same thing up there too.

Sent an email out and didn't get a response. After 3 hours I sent another message saying If she's busy I'll call customer service, after all it's Sunday and everything.

So I waited an hour and didn't hear from her. I decided then to call customer service. Now sometimes you get reps here in the U.S. other times you can get reps in other countries. I personally have a problem with CSR in other countries. Not only do you have the lack of understanding with the English issue but they usually waste a half hour of my time before turning me over to an American CSR.

So I got a non American rep on the phone and admittedly copped an attitude. The guy put me on hold and I thought "Here we go." He ask me to unplug the device. I'd already done all those tricks so I said yes, ah, ha...etc. So then he said he sent a hit out to me. I'm surprised by that right there and I go upstairs and yes, the light is solid. I did have to unplug the USB and plug it back in to get it going but wow, and I'm starting to feel like a real jerk. Downstairs I see a solid light but still no access to SDV so I unplug that and did not see the channel download but I was tuned to MLBnet and it came on.

I thanked him for his help, stunned and a bit embarrassed and went to my computer.

Guess what? It appears my person at TWC was working on it at the exact same time. I'm putting my money one her fixing it, not him but I guess I'll never know.

I notice these issues with the TA seem to be happening now about once a month on weekends so I think TWC does something and that causes the issue.

How about you other Tivo people. Any issues?

post #23164 of 23464 Old 04-18-2012, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a "new" Cisco 8742 DVR and was wondering if anyone here knew the HD size and how I can view the diagnostics screen to see which which ODN version it had running.

One persons bug is a developers unintended feature.
post #23165 of 23464 Old 04-18-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

You lost me at HD size.........

post #23166 of 23464 Old 04-18-2012, 02:56 PM

Sorry should have been more specific. I meant HD as in Hard Drive.

i.e. The theoretical amount of programming I could record before this thing blows up.

post #23167 of 23464 Old 04-19-2012, 03:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Generally most of these newer boxes come with 500GB stock. Now as far as how that equates to 'hours of recording time', all depends on what you are recording and what the bitrates are. But just talking theoretically here and doing some simple math, lets say you are recording 100% 1080i programming. Guesstimate on the high end a channel pushes 18mbps at 1080i.

18mbps = 2.25 MB/s = 135MB per min = 7.9GB per hour = roughly 69 hours and 20 minutes reocrding time. That doesn't include stuff like overhead as these DVR's also separate a few gigs for non-DVR use and no hard drive out there comes to exactly 500GB, usually 475 or so. So more like 65 hours give or take at the lowest guessing number. More likely you'll see higher hour numbers of what you can record.

post #23168 of 23464 Old 04-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by its.mike View Post

Sorry should have been more specific. I meant HD as in Hard Drive.

i.e. The theoretical amount of programming I could record before this thing blows up.

320gb.
post #23169 of 23464 Old 05-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Just replaced my 8300HD with a Cisco 8742HDC. Can't get my external hard drive to work with it. Any suggestions?
post #23170 of 23464 Old 05-11-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scnrfrq View Post

Just replaced my 8300HD with a Cisco 8742HDC. Can't get my external hard drive to work with it. Any suggestions?

I tried 3 different drive enclosures plus a WD My DVR Expander with the 8742 I had and none of them worked. I wound up getting a Tivo Premiere and put a 2TB drive in it.

Dennis
post #23171 of 23464 Old 05-12-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dponeill View Post

I tried 3 different drive enclosures plus a WD My DVR Expander with the 8742 I had and none of them worked. I wound up getting a Tivo Premiere and put a 2TB drive in it.

Don't know if you'll find help here, I haven't got time to look for you but give this a shot: http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/su..._set_tops.html

post #23172 of 23464 Old 05-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Don't know if you'll find help here, I haven't got time to look for you but give this a shot: http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/su..._set_tops.html

Thanks, but the 8742 is not listed. For everyone's "enjoyment", here's a transcript of my talk with TW chat on this. Yikes, talk about confusing!!

Tom_>

I just got a Cisco 8742HDC DVR. Can you tell me how to hook up my external hard drive thru the eSATA port? This worked on my old 8300HD DVR.

Carlton>

The Port to connect the external drive is disabled on the New Cable boxes it cannot be added

Tom_>

Do you know why? I should be able to add as much storage as I want to.

Carlton>

eSATA (Extended Serial ATA) is an external hard drive that can be connected to a subscriber's DVR set-top box via an eSATA connector, not a USB. Once connected, the eSATA drive will allow the subscriber to record and store more TV shows, sporting events, and movies.

PATA, (Parallel Advanced Technology Attachment) was the original interface to connect hard disks to desktop computers, originating in 1986. SATA (Serial ATA) was launched in 2002, and provided faster speeds, and SATA II provided even faster speeds. eSATA, which is faster than SATA II, allows drives to be connected externally, whereas with the previous technologies, only internal connections were possible. With the ability to connect external drives came the issue of choosing the appropriate eSATA connector, and while other external hard drives may connect using USB 2.0 or FireWire 400 or 800, the eSATA connector is distinct from these, as well as from the internal connector. eSATA connectors are also hot pluggable, meaning the cable running to it can be connected and disconnected while the computer is running without requiring a shut-down for safety.

Carlton>

eSATA devices are only supported on set-top boxes running MDN (Mystro Digital Navigator.)

Tom_>

My box does say Mystro when it boots up?

Carlton>

Mystro is a software language

Carlton>

OCAP...... APP...........ALT................MYSTRO..........

Carlton>

These are all software messages.

Tom_>

yes - so should it work on my box or not?

Carlton>

No external equipments can be attached to the ports as they are disabled and can be used by a technician to resolve the issue.\\

Tom_>

ok - do you know the size of the hard drive in the box? Is it 500GB?

Carlton>

Shows up 80 hours can be recorded. However we do not have any information for the capacity in Bytes

Tom_>

ok, thanks.
post #23173 of 23464 Old 05-15-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:

How about you other Tivo people. Any issues?

Knock on wood, my setup has been extremely stable so far. I have two Tivo Premieres with the Cisco tuning adapters attached. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had problems tuning channels that are switched.

After my initial installation problems and trying to get CableCards and tuning adapters (with power supplies) from Time Warner, I've not seen the 8 blinks authorization error. About the only thing I see is occasionally when I turn on the TV I get a message stating that a Tuning Adapter has been connected, presumably because the TA rebooted. Had them since July of 2011.

One thing I can't explain is some of my wife's shows on Bravo and E! occasionally have the last minute or two cut off unexpectedly. The Tivo says it was a partial recording and have 28 or 29 of the 30 minute show. It's not clipping since I have that turned off. Doesn't happen on other channels.
post #23174 of 23464 Old 05-15-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzymate View Post

Knock on wood, my setup has been extremely stable so far. I have two Tivo Premieres with the Cisco tuning adapters attached. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had problems tuning channels that are switched.

After my initial installation problems and trying to get CableCards and tuning adapters (with power supplies) from Time Warner, I've not seen the 8 blinks authorization error. About the only thing I see is occasionally when I turn on the TV I get a message stating that a Tuning Adapter has been connected, presumably because the TA rebooted. Had them since July of 2011.

One thing I can't explain is some of my wife's shows on Bravo and E! occasionally have the last minute or two cut off unexpectedly. The Tivo says it was a partial recording and have 28 or 29 of the 30 minute show. It's not clipping since I have that turned off. Doesn't happen on other channels.

The clipping issue, I have no idea.

The tuner adapter message. I've seen that a lot and I suspect that you are correct. If you see that today let me know because both of my TA's bricked and guess what? The last time they did it was the 15th of April.

I suspect that what's happening with mine. It reboots but a handshaking error is occurring and that could mean I'm back to monthly calls. I had my person at TWC send out hits to both boxes but it didn't work. I remembered that usually I try powering off the boxes, it never helps but I didn't do it this time so I powered down the TA's and she sent me a hit out again. Success so I'm up for at least another 30 days.

She said she would look into the date of the 15th to see if she could find something. I may get back to her in a week if I don't hear from her, I doubt it was a coincidence.

post #23175 of 23464 Old 05-25-2012, 03:31 AM
Advanced Member

I'm having a hard time believing my new Cisco 8742HDC has a 500GB hard drive. It fills up very fast, even when recording non-HD shows. Can someone tell me how to get into the spec screens to check on this?

So far I still prefer my old 8300HD, with my 1TB external drive attached. But it missed recordings so often I had to replace it.
post #23176 of 23464 Old 05-25-2012, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm having a hard time believing my new Cisco 8742HDC has a 500GB hard drive. It fills up very fast, even when recording non-HD shows. Can someone tell me how to get into the spec screens to check on this?

So far I still prefer my old 8300HD, with my 1TB external drive attached. But it missed recordings so often I had to replace it.

Last time you asked a question I spent about 45 minutes of my life trying to find an answer for you.

OK....editing entire posts, still can't direct you to the page but Cathode Kid says 320 GB, he's the man, so that's what you got. You get 500 GB with their signature service. VChat 20 said aboyt 65 programs. No eSATA. What a joke.

If you want something that can record a lot of programs and has eSATA capability you are going to have to pay for it, no getting around it. TiVo Premiers have some that come with 1 TB hard drive and you can put I think a 3 TB eSata on that. Yes, you have to pay a service fee but if you play your cards right you might be able to talk them into giving you lifetime service for the price of 1 year. I've done it twice on two different TiVo's, just him and haw about purchasing at all.

Also keep in mind that with TiVos you no longer have on demand. Since you can stream from netflix, Amazon and others PPV shouldn't be an issue and if it's a fight, wrestling match or something of like that you can still set it up by phone.

One other thing to. TWC now supports Roku so you can get Roku and get HBO To Go with just your HBO charge.

post #23177 of 23464 Old 05-25-2012, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
On live local broadcasts (news) I can't tell the difference between 1080i and 720P on a Sony 1080P XBR 2 set. Depending on the movie (aspect ratio change, dvd, film noise, etc) the Bluray playback is the same or better on the 1080P set when compared to the live broadcasts on the 1080P set but is far superior to DVD. I do not have cable or satellite but do notice that the live OTA broadcasts are superior to them.
JJK
post #23178 of 23464 Old 05-25-2012, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post

On live local broadcasts (news) I can't tell the difference between 1080i and 720P on a Sony 1080P XBR 2 set. Depending on the movie (aspect ratio change, dvd, film noise, etc) the Bluray playback is the same or better on the 1080P set when compared to the live broadcasts on the 1080P set but is far superior to DVD. I do not have cable or satellite but do notice that the live OTA broadcasts are superior to them.
JJK

Live OTA broadcast are in 1080i or 720p. You can't compare them with 1080p.

post #23179 of 23464 Old 05-25-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Last time you asked a question I spent about 45 minutes of my life trying to find an answer for you.

OK....editing entire posts, still can't direct you to the page but Cathode Kid says 320 GB, he's the man, so that's what you got. You get 500 GB with their signature service. VChat 20 said aboyt 65 programs. No eSATA. What a joke.

If you want something that can record a lot of programs and has eSATA capability you are going to have to pay for it, no getting around it. TiVo Premiers have some that come with 1 TB hard drive and you can put I think a 3 TB eSata on that. Yes, you have to pay a service fee but if you play your cards right you might be able to talk them into giving you lifetime service for the price of 1 year. I've done it twice on two different TiVo's, just him and haw about purchasing at all.

Also keep in mind that with TiVos you no longer have on demand. Since you can stream from netflix, Amazon and others PPV shouldn't be an issue and if it's a fight, wrestling match or something of like that you can still set it up by phone.

One other thing to. TWC now supports Roku so you can get Roku and get HBO To Go with just your HBO charge.

We have signature and was told mine were 500GB by the installer as well. Granted we have two of them that are pooled together, but while we record a ton of HD shows (my kids record a zillion Disney HD shows in addition to my recordings) we are rarely above 30% total space used. When I had my old SA box, both were routinely maxed on both.
post #23180 of 23464 Old 05-25-2012, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It shows 487GB, so I guess it is 500GB. I'm wondering if since I changed my output resolution in Settings to be 1080i for all channels (to reduce delays in changing channels), does that mean it records all channels in that resolution, and thus takes up a lot more space than if they were recorded in 720p? It is showing 65% full with only about 15 programs saved. I rebooted with no change.
post #23181 of 23464 Old 05-25-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It shows 487GB, so I guess it is 500GB. I'm wondering if since I changed my output resolution in Settings to be 1080i for all channels (to reduce delays in changing channels), does that mean it records all channels in that resolution, and thus takes up a lot more space than if they were recorded in 720p? It is showing 65% full with only about 15 programs saved. I rebooted with no change.

No, you record whatever signal you are sent. For example if you watch something on WEWS (ABC) then you will use up as much space as it took to record that show. ABC is in 720p. That does not mean it will use less GB of space then CBS (WOIO) which broadcast in 1080i.

Just an FYI ultimately what you actually watch is dependent on the television. So if you set your DVR to 720P and your set is 1080i, your signal will get cconverted to 1080i by the set.

I'm not sure how that works with a set that is 1080p. I don't think you can convert 720P to 1080p. Probably it will show it at 720p but I'm not positive about that.

No matter, bottom line is you receive th amount of data that it takes to record that show from the original signal. You convert the signal after it is recorded on the disk.

post #23182 of 23464 Old 05-25-2012, 03:09 PM

Most newer TV's will just display whatever is fed to them. If your box is set to 720p then that's what you'll see and so on for the other possible resolutions.

post #23183 of 23464 Old 05-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No, you record whatever signal you are sent. For example if you watch something on WEWS (ABC) then you will use up as much space as it took to record that show. ABC is in 720p. That does not mean it will use less GB of space then CBS (WOIO) which broadcast in 1080i.

Just an FYI ultimately what you actually watch is dependent on the television. So if you set your DVR to 720P and your set is 1080i, your signal will get cconverted to 1080i by the set.

I'm not sure how that works with a set that is 1080p. I don't think you can convert 720P to 1080p. Probably it will show it at 720p but I'm not positive about that.

No matter, bottom line is you receive th amount of data that it takes to record that show from the original signal. You convert the signal after it is recorded on the disk.

Rebooted and usage went from 40% to 12%. Another TW extra feature I guess...
post #23184 of 23464 Old 06-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Rebooted and usage went from 40% to 12%. Another TW extra feature I guess...

Well, lo and behold, my new Cisco 8742HDC is definitely junk just like my old 8300HD was. It may have a 500GB hard drive, but it's useless since the % of use of the hard drive is wildly inaccurate. It showed 37% and after reboot it showed 6%??? Today it was about 35% and I taped the NASCAR race. It then went to 73%, and DELETED about 15 of my shows since it thought it was full! AND, it still shows 73% even after deleting all those shows.

Tomorrow it's back to TW to try and get another 8300HD, so I can at least use my 1TB external drive, and have an accurate % of use. I have a feeling satellite TV is not far away for me.
post #23185 of 23464 Old 06-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, lo and behold, my new Cisco 8742HDC is definitely junk just like my old 8300HD was. It may have a 500GB hard drive, but it's useless since the % of use of the hard drive is wildly inaccurate. It showed 37% and after reboot it showed 6%??? Today it was about 35% and I taped the NASCAR race. It then went to 73%, and DELETED about 15 of my shows since it thought it was full! AND, it still shows 73% even after deleting all those shows.

Tomorrow it's back to TW to try and get another 8300HD, so I can at least use my 1TB external drive, and have an accurate % of use. I have a feeling satellite TV is not far away for me.

UPDATE - Got an 8300HD and my external drive is working again! Does anyone know how long it takes for the Caller ID prompt to start working for the phone? It shows up in Settings and the prompt is set to On. Called TW, and they said everything is set up correctly. It's been about 3 hours so far.
post #23186 of 23464 Old 06-04-2012, 11:50 AM

I think it may take up to 24 hours-But don't quote me..
post #23187 of 23464 Old 06-05-2012, 03:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Lones View Post

I think it may take up to 24 hours-But don't quote me..

It finally showed up after about 8 hours.
post #23188 of 23464 Old 06-06-2012, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I noticed on TWC's channel change notices from other Midwest systems that when ESPN Deportes HD will be added (as it will here in this area), it will be on channel 833, rather than the logical place of channel 1813 (1000 plus standard definition channel 813). Why is TWC going against logic here?
post #23189 of 23464 Old 06-06-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, all your sports channels like NBA, MLB, NHL are in ranges below 1000 and hey have HD channels in those ranges (In the 700's) so I get your theory but it really doesn't hold up in this case. If I'm correct the 800's are where the Spanish channels are at so in fact it makes sense for them to put that there.

post #23190 of 23464 Old 06-11-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
YaH! I love TW and I love giving them more money. Just got my bill and my Double Play Bundle was increased by $10. Maybe I will cut down all my trees and switch to satellite just for spite. Oh well.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page