post #23461 of 23475 Old 05-25-2014, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Music View Post

I just got a call from TWC saying that some kind of digital changes are coming soon. They mentioned some kind of digital adapter is needed. I already have a tuning adapter for my Tivo S3 HD. Are they the same thing? Do they do the same thing?

Please advise,
Ben Music

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential-home/support/topics/tv/digital-adapters.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23462 of 23475 Old 05-26-2014, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Music View Post

I just got a call from TWC saying that some kind of digital changes are coming soon. They mentioned some kind of digital adapter is needed. I already have a tuning adapter for my Tivo S3 HD. Are they the same thing? Do they do the same thing?

Please advise,
Ben Music
They'll be scrambling many of the channels. So if you don't have a TWC box or DVR they won't work. They will provide free adapter but I'm not sure how that works and I believe it's only free for 12 or 18 months.

The letter I saw indicated some channels (probably the locals) will still be available to TVs and other devices that can decode the Clear QAM signal. However the channels and frequency may be moving so you'll need to rescan for channels after the system updates.

I'm using a "Simple TV" DVR and hope all the local channels (and sub channels) are still in the clear.
post #23463 of 23475 Old 06-26-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just wanted to publicly thank TWC for my $12 monthly increase in my bill! If I just didn't have all these trees....

post #23464 of 23475 Old 07-03-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Late responding here, but about the TWC DTA scrambling:

I only have analog expanded basic here right now, and sure enough, channels like WVPX/23 are only displaying the "get a DTA" static message with a white screen.

I did a clear QAM scan and all the missing channels are there digitally, including Retro TV affiliates WAOH-LP/29 and WIVM-LD/39. (Yes, last I checked, I can now get WIVM via clear QAM in Akron.)

The mess is that there's no PSIP for any of these channels. I believe WAOH is on 97.1 and WIVM is on 90.63, but that's just from memory since I haven't looked in some time.

WVPX has PSIP as usual as WVPX HD, since it always had it since they added the HD feed.

I get scattered local access channels, including for Stow, Silver Lake and Doylestown.

Again, this is all clear QAM only. The only channel I haven't been able to find in this mess is the Akron Public Schools on 15. 15 doesn't have that static message on analog, and I'm sure APS 15 is in the clear QAM scan somewhere...I just haven't gotten to most of the non-labeled channels to check yet.

It is correct that the DTA is only free for a year.
post #23465 of 23475 Old 08-02-2014, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I wonder if all of you can help old man. I have "Starter Tv" package now, but I am thinking about getting "Standard TV" package.
My TV can take Cable Card. Is there any advantage of having a cable card over no card and no box. I also plan on using the TWC App for a lot of my viewing. Thanks
post #23466 of 23475 Old 08-04-2014, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenager62 View Post
I wonder if all of you can help old man. I have "Starter Tv" package now, but I am thinking about getting "Standard TV" package.
My TV can take Cable Card. Is there any advantage of having a cable card over no card and no box. I also plan on using the TWC App for a lot of my viewing. Thanks
Goldenager,

I believe there are more disadvantages than advantages. You would not have any interactive features like "On Demand" or "Look Back". The one big advantage is, I belive, a Cable card is charged less than a Cable box. So you would save money.

Ray
post #23467 of 23475 Old 08-04-2014, 04:44 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbuchina View Post
Goldenager,

I believe there are more disadvantages than advantages. You would not have any interactive features like "On Demand" or "Look Back". The one big advantage is, I belive, a Cable card is charged less than a Cable box. So you would save money.

Ray
Thanks
post #23468 of 23475 Old 08-05-2014, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbuchina View Post
Goldenager,

You would not have any interactive features like "On Demand" or "Look Back".

Ray
You would have "on demand" available on the TWC app. I use the app all the time to watch shows. Works great.
post #23469 of 23475 Old 08-16-2014, 11:06 AM

What's the deal with Channel 8, Fox (21 UHF). I can't seem to get it. I get all of the other stations from that azimuth, but not Fox 8. Is their power weak? I picked up 45 stations with the wineguard box: http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-FL655...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

I also have a 2-bay UHF flyswatter, that I could try as well. Anyone else having trouble picking up Channel 8?
post #23470 of 23475 Old 08-16-2014, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

This should be moved to the local OTA thread, but briefly... WJW Channel 8 is RF 8. VHF. Is your antenna good on VHF? What part of town?
post #23471 of 23475 Old 08-17-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
This should be moved to the local OTA thread, but briefly... WJW Channel 8 is RF 8. VHF. Is your antenna good on VHF? What part of town?
I made another post in the right area (OTA) sorry about that and thank you for responding.

Last edited by Commodore 64; 08-17-2014 at 12:10 PM.
post #23472 of 23475 Old 10-20-2014, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
DVR Slow

If anyone is still on this thread, have you noticed lately that the DVR responses to the remote is very slow? Sometimes takes 2-3 seconds for a response in the guide or list. Just came back from vacation, and it wasn't like that before. Did they do an update of some kind?
post #23473 of 23475 Old 10-20-2014, 04:47 PM

Deleted

Last edited by Gary16; 10-20-2014 at 04:48 PM.
post #23474 of 23475 Old 10-25-2014, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I had an interesting experience at the Chapel Hill location yesterday. I have 2 DVRs. They are usually controlled using the remotes that came with my TVs but I occasionally use the TWC supplied remotes for certain functions. One of the TWC remotes started acting flakey a few years ago, so I switched to the other one on the DVR I usually use. Recent, that remote also started acting flakey as well. For example, pressing volume down caused zeroes to be sent. The DVR would record the zeroes and then question channel number 0000. I took both of the bad remotes to the Chapel Hill location (actually across the street from Chapel Hill). As I approached the desk, the guy saw I had two remotes in my hand, reached behind him, grabbed two new ones, and swapped the new ones for my old ones without even asking for my name or what symptoms I was experiencing. A painless but surprising experience. He didn't even ask if I tried new batteries. I assume those newer remotes (the ones with a D button in addition to A, B, C) have had lots of problems.
post #23475 of 23475 Old 11-11-2014, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Obama's comments yesterday about making the Internet a "public utility" and empowering the FCC to force net neutrality on the telecoms sent both Time Warner and Comcast stock dropping about 5%. In other words, the market is skittish that the cost of this merger isn't worth having the Federal government controlling their services and pricing. Since Comcast never negotiated a breakup fee, they are free to walk from this deal if the government mucks up the works too much. As bad as Time Warner can be, the uncertainty of becoming a Charter Communications customer scares me more. Time will tell.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page