Cleveland, OH - TWC - Page 784 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #23491 of 23517 Old 05-30-2015, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Wow this box is fast nothing to report as I just got it installed and took the kids swimming but it boots and operates so stinking fast even the tech saw it as well and liked how quick it was. Also i know my signal always g
Toed the line but with this box j had to have a amp installed (I am too far off the road). This box is well worth cost!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23492 of 23517 Old 05-30-2015, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Sorry about cables I put it in a side room with plans on moving it to theater/main room

post #23493 of 23517 Old 06-04-2015, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 35
WEWS 5.3 "LAFF" was on an unlabeled QAM channel, but just yesterday, started with a 5.3 label. I didn't even have to rescan channels.
post #23494 of 23517 Old 06-04-2015, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So for those wanting a report about the "Enhanced DVR"...

I rushed out and grabbed one of these after work today once I discovered that they had become available. The press release from 5/27 states that they're available for "Central Ohio" but a quick conversation with @TWCHelp on Twitter revealed that the entire midwest can get them now.

The box is the Cisco 9865HDC. It's lightning, lightning fast. It boots up fast. It runs fast. The new UI is available as a feature that you have to turn on in the menus. It's definitely built off of the same platform as the previous UI (which is still available to use on the box) but it's laid out more sensibly. I've gotten most of my shows set to record again, but it appears to be reliant on the web platform (think iOS app, twctv.com, etc.) in order to work properly. My account is still updating to reflect the new MAC address and new box, so right now all the shows I've set to record have not shown up in my series manager. Once it's reporting to the web platform, I'll check back to make sure everything is working properly.

Other than that, there's not much to say. 1 TB of space and six tuners... totally worth the +$10 TWC will charge you to convert to one of these if you're a heavy usage household.

Time Warner Cable NEO
post #23495 of 23517 Old 06-24-2015, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Is it just me or has anyone else experienced a huge increase in sound volume everytime a TWC promo commercial comes on? It happens every time on any station (I'm talking on the HD tier). It is at least 8-10 clicks higher than what I have my sound bar is set at before the commercial starts. It's a real pain. Just wondering.
Clint S. likes this.

post #23496 of 23517 Old 07-02-2015, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post
Is it just me or has anyone else experienced a huge increase in sound volume everytime a TWC promo commercial comes on? It happens every time on any station (I'm talking on the HD tier). It is at least 8-10 clicks higher than what I have my sound bar is set at before the commercial starts. It's a real pain. Just wondering.

Oh yes. It's out of hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #23497 of 23517 Old 08-18-2015, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

So I finally purchased my own modem and when I returned the one I was renting to TWC the very nice woman behind the counter checked my account and said my bill was pretty high considering the specials (?) they were running and promptly reduced my bill from $185 to $126 a month for all the same services! I asked would this eventually change and she said it would probably go up about 20 bucks after a year but all I had to do was come back in and they would adjust it. I was so shocked I actually moved up to the middle tier internet service so for the next year at least my bill we be around $140 bucks. They also reduced my mom's bill from $140 to $86. I was just wondering if this is fallout from the increase in cable cutting. Might be having more of an affect on cable companies than we really know. So if you've been paying the same amount for a long while, give TWC a call and see if you can get a reduced rate, too.

post #23498 of 23517 Old 08-18-2015, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post
So I finally purchased my own modem and when I returned the one I was renting to TWC the very nice woman behind the counter checked my account and said my bill was pretty high considering the specials (?) they were running and promptly reduced my bill from $185 to $126 a month for all the same services! I asked would this eventually change and she said it would probably go up about 20 bucks after a year but all I had to do was come back in and they would adjust it. I was so shocked I actually moved up to the middle tier internet service so for the next year at least my bill we be around $140 bucks. They also reduced my mom's bill from $140 to $86. I was just wondering if this is fallout from the increase in cable cutting. Might be having more of an affect on cable companies than we really know. So if you've been paying the same amount for a long while, give TWC a call and see if you can get a reduced rate, too.
I've noticed that my bill is around $125+ and with standard internet.
It was supposed to be closer to 150, but I think they re-upped me for the internet promo price.
Didn't even have to threaten to switch to DirecTV this time

Time Warner Cable North East Ohio
SA 4250 HDC
Let's Go Bucs!
post #23499 of 23517 Old 09-11-2015, 03:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusMMIV View Post
So for those wanting a report about the "Enhanced DVR"...

I rushed out and grabbed one of these after work today once I discovered that they had become available. The press release from 5/27 states that they're available for "Central Ohio" but a quick conversation with @TWCHelp on Twitter revealed that the entire midwest can get them now.

The box is the Cisco 9865HDC. It's lightning, lightning fast. It boots up fast. It runs fast. The new UI is available as a feature that you have to turn on in the menus. It's definitely built off of the same platform as the previous UI (which is still available to use on the box) but it's laid out more sensibly. I've gotten most of my shows set to record again, but it appears to be reliant on the web platform (think iOS app, twctv.com, etc.) in order to work properly. My account is still updating to reflect the new MAC address and new box, so right now all the shows I've set to record have not shown up in my series manager. Once it's reporting to the web platform, I'll check back to make sure everything is working properly.

Other than that, there's not much to say. 1 TB of space and six tuners... totally worth the +$10 TWC will charge you to convert to one of these if you're a heavy usage household.
Any more details on how well this new DVR works? Has anyone else got one and can give a review?
post #23500 of 23517 Old 10-12-2015, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HD feeds on all TW channels

It looks like all the channels are being broadcast in HD now. In the past, only those channels in the 1000s were in HD. For example, ESPN is high def on 33, 301 and 1301. Channels that were never HD -- ESPN Classic, for example -- are unaffected. Has anyone else noticed this?
post #23501 of 23517 Old 10-13-2015, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I know even sometime ago, locals on 3, 5, 8, 19 etc. were subbed out on the lower channels with a digital SD feed if you have a box.

I still see these SD feeds on my set today. 13-170 is 8, 13-171 is 3, etc.

All the 13-x feeds are 480i, and all are in addition to the properly mapped HD/subchannel feeds (3-1, 3-2, 3-3, 5-1, 5-2, 5-3, etc.).
post #23502 of 23517 Old 10-14-2015, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJay View Post
It looks like all the channels are being broadcast in HD now. In the past, only those channels in the 1000s were in HD. For example, ESPN is high def on 33, 301 and 1301. Channels that were never HD -- ESPN Classic, for example -- are unaffected. Has anyone else noticed this?
MichaelJay,

I posted back in early May when the local HDs were first remapped to the low single digit channels. I wish TWC would eliminate all the duplicate channels.

Ray
post #23503 of 23517 Old 10-14-2015, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbuchina View Post
MichaelJay,

I posted back in early May when the local HDs were first remapped to the low single digit channels. I wish TWC would eliminate all the duplicate channels.

Ray
Are there still SD-only boxes on TWC NEO? Maybe that's why those SD versions of the locals are still there.
post #23504 of 23517 Old 10-18-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbuchina View Post
MichaelJay,

Ray
Ray, is it possible TW rolled this out at different times in northeast Ohio? I know I've mistakenly gone back to the single-digit feeds many times since May and this is the first I've seen them in high-def. And I agree with you -- TW should simplify their lineup.
post #23505 of 23517 Old 10-18-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
Are there still SD-only boxes on TWC NEO? Maybe that's why those SD versions of the locals are still there.
I spoke with a TW techie on an unrelated matter but then asked why high-def signals were appearing where SD feeds once reigned. Apparently TW can now detect the type of box one has and sends along the correct feed. (Somehow that explanation seemed a little patronizing, but I let it go.) So if one has a high-def box, you will no longer receive any SD signals.
post #23506 of 23517 Old 10-22-2015, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJay View Post
I spoke with a TW techie on an unrelated matter but then asked why high-def signals were appearing where SD feeds once reigned. Apparently TW can now detect the type of box one has and sends along the correct feed. (Somehow that explanation seemed a little patronizing, but I let it go.) So if one has a high-def box, you will no longer receive any SD signals.
And as such, SD boxes get those SD digital duplicates, and of course, analog customers get the analog locals.

At some point, TWC will presumably go with DTAs, killing analog entirely.
post #23507 of 23517 Old 10-22-2015, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
And as such, SD boxes get those SD digital duplicates, and of course, analog customers get the analog locals.

At some point, TWC will presumably go with DTAs, killing analog entirely.
I'm surprised by how little they've changed - never expected unscrambled analog or digital to last this long. I figured maybe the Comcast and now Charter deals incentivized them to avoid changes and minimize complaint volume?

They did kill off WGN on channel 18, but then brought it back on 118.55 - that must have been at least a year ago now?

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???

Last edited by cc_in_oh; 10-22-2015 at 12:11 PM. Reason: typo
post #23508 of 23517 Old 11-05-2015, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry for the long sob story, just wondering if anyone else is having any internet speed and streaming problems since TWC two outages in the Akron area. So it seems that early in the week according to TWC, they did have two outages in the NE Ohio area, the second one, according to the voice on the phone, was major to the point where customers could lose half or all their services. The first, they said on the phone, was an outage and that work was being done in the area. I mention this because I was wondering if anyone else has developed problems with their internet downloads and streaming. My service has been perfect for nearly two months. Bought my own modem (TWC approved and new dual band router) and once a new heavy duty line was replaced to my house everything couldn't have been better. Internet speeds in the upper 20's. Then the first outage occurred and I couldn't log into the TWC Roku channel. Waited till morning after hearing the recorded message and yes I could sign in and all was right with the world. Until that night when my 30Mbps service dropped into single digits and I couldn't use any channels on the Roku. Anyway, tried working with an online guy who took control of my computer, was changing setting in my router and doing whatever when everything shut down. This was when I called the second time and heard about the second, more serious outage. I called in the morning around 9am and they said that service had been restored and sure enough my internet speeds were again in the 19-25 range. Until about four hours later when I tried to watch something and sure enough the speeds had again dropped into the single digits. Tried working with two TWC customer reps, one who did seem to restore my speeds, but for only 45 minutes when the bottomed out again. Second CR tried hard also but speed tests with the TWC speed test and Speedtest.net both showed single digits and the modem was working fine and she said something was definitely wrong and so I have a technician coming Sunday to do what they do. Other than buying a new iMac, nothing was changed or was altered on any of my devices since the first tech came and installed the new outside line. Can't understand what is going on and have to give the TWC customer reps a hand, they tried hard but couldn't solve the problem. So anyone else have a sad story like this or experiences problems. I'll check back on Sunday after the problem is hopefully solved (and that it has nothing to do with my modem (which is a Surfboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem) or router, a TP-Link AC1750 Wireless dual band Gigabit device.

post #23509 of 23517 Old 11-08-2015, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

So as the follow up, turns out what was causing the problem was that the coding for my new, personal modem was being combined with coding for, I think he said, my old TWC modem and causing all the really bad slowdowns for my internet speeds. Funny thing was that my technician (nice job, Eric) said the job before mine was the exact same problem, only with video. So even though the customer reps that tried to help me did their best, they had no idea this was happening. The outages were because of work TWC is doing on setting up newer, high speed lines and that was probably what caused my problem. He made a phone call and everything is back up and working.

post #23510 of 23517 Old 11-11-2015, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Gee, what a shocker. Yet ANOTHER outage with TWC.

post #23511 of 23517 Old 12-27-2015, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 62
What does everyone think of the color on HD programming on TWC? To me, it looks pretty drab. I know the correct setting on my Samsung TV is 50, but that it with bluray material. Anyone bump up their color, and (for samsung users) are you using 'auto' or 'native' color space?
post #23512 of 23517 Old 01-08-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post
What does everyone think of the color on HD programming on TWC? To me, it looks pretty drab. I know the correct setting on my Samsung TV is 50, but that it with bluray material. Anyone bump up their color, and (for samsung users) are you using 'auto' or 'native' color space?

I would suggest doing a search for your particular Samsung model. Often reviewers -- particularly CNET -- or commenters will provide the settings that provide what they consider an ideal picture. You may still have to tweak for your particular setting, but I have found those suggestions to get closer to perfect than anything I could ever devise on my own.
post #23513 of 23517 Old 01-21-2016, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 568
I upgraded to TWC's enhanced DVR unit. Wow, where have you been all my life. It can record 6 shows at once, has 150 hours of storage, and some nice features like being able to stream the content to devices in other rooms. The fast forward is insanely fast and makes things almost like a blur. Very responsive unit, you hit list and select a show and it starts playing almost before you release the button. Leaps and bounds above their other DVRs (still probably falls way short of big name units out there though). Great unit, highly recommend it to those interested.

post #23514 of 23517 Old 01-21-2016, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
I upgraded to TWC's enhanced DVR unit. Wow, where have you been all my life. It can record 6 shows at once, has 150 hours of storage, and some nice features like being able to stream the content to devices in other rooms. The fast forward is insanely fast and makes things almost like a blur. Very responsive unit, you hit list and select a show and it starts playing almost before you release the button. Leaps and bounds above their other DVRs (still probably falls way short of big name units out there though). Great unit, highly recommend it to those interested.

Sounds nice. Worth the extra $400/mth in equipment fees though?

post #23515 of 23517 Old 01-21-2016, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleising View Post
Sounds nice. Worth the extra $400/mth in equipment fees though?

Yeah, it was an extra $26 a month (actually $21 extra since I turned I my old one that was $5 a month). Kind of steep but I think worth it for the 6 recordings alone.

post #23516 of 23517 Old 01-21-2016, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Yeah, it was an extra $26 a month (actually $21 extra since I turned I my old one that was $5 a month). Kind of steep but I think worth it for the 6 recordings alone.
26 isn't too bad for that if you need the 6 tuners. It would be overkill for me, not having any premium channels, not a sports fan, and not minding the delay to catch up via on-demand...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #23517 of 23517 Old 01-29-2016, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Anyone notice a weird issue with letterbox content on TWC? I only saw this while flipping through a few of the movie channels (TMC and showtime). As the picture changes, the black bars don't stay black. There are intermittent flashes where they get a little lighter. If I get really close to the screen, it kind of looks like compression artifacts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception