Cleveland, OH - TWC - Page 785 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #23521 of 23547 Old 02-17-2016, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Today, my TV found and added TV channel 8.5 WJW-DT5 in Cleveland. The channel is black with no programming being transmitted. Does anyone know what they are planning to add on that subchannel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23522 of 23547 Old 02-18-2016, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't even have 8.3 or .4 yet.
JJK
post #23523 of 23547 Old 02-18-2016, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
I don't even have 8.3 or .4 yet.
JJK
Same here, but my channels don't scan the same on all devices - e.g. my recorders find mostly scrambled channels on 118.x except a few like WGN on 118.55. My TV only finds a bunch of music channels there. (Neither finds 8.3, 4 or 5)...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???

post #23524 of 23547 Old 02-24-2016, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What was the problem last night - Both 5.1 and 19.1 were constantly breaking up?

CC

post #23525 of 23547 Old 10-28-2016, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone else getting "BBCA currently unavailable"? I couldn't record The Living and the Dead last night...

CC

post #23526 of 23547 Old 01-14-2017, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 210
For those with Samsung TVs, are you guys using Digital Clean View when watching so-called HD cable? I've found that the PQ is pretty awful with it turned off, especially in darker scenes. The two biggest issues seem to be mosquito noise that is constantly moving around in the background, and also on people's faces. The other thing is the block-type artifacts. I'm sure my 65" TV just magnifies the effect, as I don't remember it being nearly as offensive on a smaller screen.

Anyway, bottom line (unless there is something wrong with my equipment) most of the channels look like crap. If I turn on DCV, it makes a significant difference, but at the expense of a little blur. I'm still wondering about the best setting—low, auto or something else?
post #23527 of 23547 Old 01-19-2017, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
So, I think TW officially becomes Spectrum today. It looks like the channel packages have changed too. The channels I currently get look like they are part of the gold package now, which forces you to get the movie channels. Not sure if I like the change yet and how the pricing will be different, when my current offers expire next month.

When will the Internet speeds increase in the Cleveland area?
post #23528 of 23547 Old 01-19-2017, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregF2 View Post
So, I think TW officially becomes Spectrum today. It looks like the channel packages have changed too. The channels I currently get look like they are part of the gold package now, which forces you to get the movie channels. Not sure if I like the change yet and how the pricing will be different, when my current offers expire next month.

It does seem they are transitioning or just have. I rebooted my modem and connected to 16x4 channels (from 12x4). I'm getting about 70 megs down now when I was getting a little over 60 on the legacy 50/5 internet plan. Upload speeds are unchanged if not a bit slower. It would seem that the 100mbps and 300mbps plans (if they will even exist in NEO) should be available however I'm not seeing anything on their website. I may call however I don't really want to pay more than my promo plan now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #23529 of 23547 Old 01-19-2017, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Still getting unscrambled analog and local digitals thankfully...

CC

post #23530 of 23547 Old 01-19-2017, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Still getting unscrambled analog and local digitals thankfully...
That will change in the not too distant future. One of the changes Spectrum will surely make is going all encrypted digital, as they have in other markets. OH is one of the few untouched markets left at this time as TWC was rolling through their upgrades before the Charter purchase.
post #23531 of 23547 Old 01-27-2017, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anyone have an update on Spectrum?

Quote:

post #23532 of 23547 Old 01-27-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Anyone have an update on Spectrum?

Seems like all markets have been converted. You should be able to call in and get Spectrum promos and/or 60mb internet. I've heard 100 meg is not available yet.

post #23533 of 23547 Old 01-27-2017, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleising View Post
Seems like all markets have been converted. You should be able to call in and get Spectrum promos and/or 60mb internet. I've heard 100 meg is not available yet.

All of OH has been converted. Within the former TWC footprint, I don't think some portions out west (ID), the Carolinas, Upstate NY and New England have been converted yet to Spectrum. Neither has Oceanic in Hawaii.
post #23534 of 23547 Old 02-12-2017, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Spectrum - Be Careful What You Wish For

I live in the Erie, PA area and have been talking to Spectrum about converting to their packages. Problem is I keep getting different stories on the phone and on chat. Of course I'd like to double my internet speed to 60, which would require a new modem, but they'd send it to me and have no monthly charge. That part sounds OK. But things got confusing when it came to DVR's and channels available.

First they said I couldn't keep my enhanced DVR's (which I really like), then they said I could, then I couldn't. Also, they only offer one model DVR, which only stores 35 hours of programs, and can only record 2 shows at once!! It's like going back in time 10 years with Time Warner. Also, one station I have to have is only listed in the Miscellaneous section of their channels lineup (https://www.timewarnercable.com/cont...s-lineup.html/). I asked about it, and first they said if you get the Gold package you get all channels, the later they said none of the Misc. channels are available in my zip code????

After all that discussion, they would only lower my bill by $17, so its not worth it to me to take chances. They also said all current TW customers are grandfathered, and wouldn't be made to change to Spectrum's plans. So I'm stayin as is for now. 30 Mbps is fast enough for me, and we have a fiber optic company installing cable here to offer 150 Mbps as its slowest speed.
Bad_penny likes this.
post #23535 of 23547 Old 02-12-2017, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scnrfrq View Post
I live in the Erie, PA area and have been talking to Spectrum about converting to their packages. Problem is I keep getting different stories on the phone and on chat. Of course I'd like to double my internet speed to 60, which would require a new modem, but they'd send it to me and have no monthly charge. That part sounds OK. But things got confusing when it came to DVR's and channels available.

First they said I couldn't keep my enhanced DVR's (which I really like), then they said I could, then I couldn't. Also, they only offer one model DVR, which only stores 35 hours of programs, and can only record 2 shows at once!! It's like going back in time 10 years with Time Warner. Also, one station I have to have is only listed in the Miscellaneous section of their channels lineup (https://www.timewarnercable.com/cont...s-lineup.html/). I asked about it, and first they said if you get the Gold package you get all channels, the later they said none of the Misc. channels are available in my zip code????

After all that discussion, they would only lower my bill by $17, so its not worth it to me to take chances. They also said all current TW customers are grandfathered, and wouldn't be made to change to Spectrum's plans. So I'm stayin as is for now. 30 Mbps is fast enough for me, and we have a fiber optic company installing cable here to offer 150 Mbps as its slowest speed.
I'm skipping their offers for now - IIRC the fine print indicated an undisclosed bump in year 2. I'm also guessing taxes and fees would soak up the few dollars of nominal savings, and switching might trigger immediate loss of unscrambled channels.

I am hoping that eventually Spectrum credentials will access more streaming sources - TWC excluded TNT, SYFY, AMC and others. I think BBCA, FX and HIST were the only ones I was ever able to get any use out of...

CC

post #23536 of 23547 Old 02-15-2017, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post
For those with Samsung TVs, are you guys using Digital Clean View when watching so-called HD cable? I've found that the PQ is pretty awful with it turned off, especially in darker scenes. The two biggest issues seem to be mosquito noise that is constantly moving around in the background, and also on people's faces. The other thing is the block-type artifacts. I'm sure my 65" TV just magnifies the effect, as I don't remember it being nearly as offensive on a smaller screen.

Anyway, bottom line (unless there is something wrong with my equipment) most of the channels look like crap. If I turn on DCV, it makes a significant difference, but at the expense of a little blur. I'm still wondering about the best setting—low, auto or something else?
I watch with an antenna, and with the digital clean view turned on, the picture does get a little cleaner on the 480i channels. MPEG artifacting is also less noticeable as well as composite artifacts. However, as you mentioned, there is motion blur with it turned on. For this reason, I keep the digital clean view setting off. Even with it off, the artifacting on my Samsung (46" 1080p) isn't too bad. In fact, compression artifacts are less noticeable compared to my old HDTV, which has a 37" 720p display. As you stated, larger screens will increase the uglyness of the MPEG compression artifacts. If your TV is 4K, lower resolution channels will look very soft and smudgy.

Check your connections going between your cable box and TV. Make sure you are using a HDMI cable as this will give you the best picture possible. If you are using an HDMI cable, make sure your cable box is outputting a 1080p signal, then set the zoom setting on your TV to screen fit as this can slightly help improve sharpness by not over-scanning the picture.

Newer is not always better.
post #23537 of 23547 Old 02-20-2017, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Update: Just got off the phone with Spectrum again. My bill just went up $20/month and I asked them why and what they could do about the promotion that went up. The answer - NOTHING! They said they won't be recognizing any of Time Warner's promotions/sales. I then asked what they could offer me. Again - NOTHING! They won't be offering any promotions of their own, now or in the future. They only offer "standardized" pricing. Basically, take it or leave it. Also today I got an email from our new fiber optic company, who will offer internet up to 1000 mbps, TV with DVR's that can record 8 shows at once, and cheap phone service. This is sounding better all the time!
post #23538 of 23547 Old 02-20-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Update: Just got off the phone with Spectrum again. My bill just went up $20/month and I asked them why and what they could do about the promotion that went up. The answer - NOTHING! They said they won't be recognizing any of Time Warner's promotions/sales. I then asked what they could offer me. Again - NOTHING! They won't be offering any promotions of their own, now or in the future. They only offer "standardized" pricing. Basically, take it or leave it. Also today I got an email from our new fiber optic company, who will offer internet up to 1000 mbps, TV with DVR's that can record 8 shows at once, and cheap phone service. This is sounding better all the time!

Who is this "new fiberoptic company"?

post #23539 of 23547 Old 02-20-2017, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleising View Post
Who is this "new fiberoptic company"?

It is VNET Fiber in Erie, PA. Their website: https://www.vnetfiber.com/
post #23540 of 23547 Old 02-20-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
It is VNET Fiber in Erie, PA. Their website: https://www.vnetfiber.com/

Lucky you!

post #23541 of 23547 Old 02-21-2017, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My Time Warner bill went up $15.00 this month. Called Spectrum and they said that I had a Time Warner promotional discount that had expired. Asked if they had something better to offer, since WOW was wiring our area. Response was yes, but I had to convert from Time Warner to Spectrum. That was confusing, since I thought they were now one and the same. Yes and no. Apparently they still operate as individual companies as far as packages are concerned and that the customer has to request a transfer over to Spectrum. I did and saved about $15.00 a month at a non promotional rate. Also received more channels. Bundled my phone and dropped Frontier, which saved me another $40.00 per month. Was told to call back in 30-60 days and I might be able to get some additional promotional discounts. So far I like the change and have no complaints.

FYI. The tech that was out told me that analog will be going away in July. You will no longer be able to plug the cable directly into the outlet or use the adapter box. You will have to go with a DVR, although Spectrum's prices are lower than Time Warner.
post #23542 of 23547 Old 02-21-2017, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer6871 View Post
My Time Warner bill went up $15.00 this month. Called Spectrum and they said that I had a Time Warner promotional discount that had expired. Asked if they had something better to offer, since WOW was wiring our area. Response was yes, but I had to convert from Time Warner to Spectrum. That was confusing, since I thought they were now one and the same. Yes and no. Apparently they still operate as individual companies as far as packages are concerned and that the customer has to request a transfer over to Spectrum. I did and saved about $15.00 a month at a non promotional rate. Also received more channels. Bundled my phone and dropped Frontier, which saved me another $40.00 per month. Was told to call back in 30-60 days and I might be able to get some additional promotional discounts. So far I like the change and have no complaints.

FYI. The tech that was out told me that analog will be going away in July. You will no longer be able to plug the cable directly into the outlet or use the adapter box. You will have to go with a DVR, although Spectrum's prices are lower than Time Warner.
Hmm...they told me no promotions. I get different stories from different people there. What adapter box do you mean? I would think you could still use a cable box that wasn't a DVR?
post #23543 of 23547 Old 02-22-2017, 06:45 AM

The adapter box allowed those individuals with no cable box to view analog channels. Apparently in some areas you could no longer run the cable directly into the wall jack Think it was free. In my case I had the cable into the jack in a spare bedroom. Now I'll have to get a regular box if I want to continue to view Spectrum.

There were no promotions on the conversion/upgrade from Time Warner, but I still saved money. CS said to call back in a month or two and they might have something they could offer to further lower the cost.

QUOTE=scnrfrq;50949297]Hmm...they told me no promotions. I get different stories from different people there. What adapter box do you mean? I would think you could still use a cable box that wasn't a DVR?[/QUOTE]
post #23544 of 23547 Old 02-22-2017, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer6871 View Post
The adapter box allowed those individuals with no cable box to view analog channels. Apparently in some areas you could no longer run the cable directly into the wall jack Think it was free. In my case I had the cable into the jack in a spare bedroom. Now I'll have to get a regular box if I want to continue to view Spectrum.

There were no promotions on the conversion/upgrade from Time Warner, but I still saved money. CS said to call back in a month or two and they might have something they could offer to further lower the cost.

QUOTE=scnrfrq;50949297]Hmm...they told me no promotions. I get different stories from different people there. What adapter box do you mean? I would think you could still use a cable box that wasn't a DVR?
[/QUOTE]

That's the first I've heard of that too - I assumed all subscribers got the unscrambled analog and local digital channels directly from the cable...

CC

post #23545 of 23547 Old 02-22-2017, 10:09 AM

This is the explanation. Like I said however, you'll now be forced to get a cable box for every room as the adapter box is now being phased out as well as analog channels.

"A Digital Adapter is a small converter that allows viewing of digital TV services on your television. An adapter is about the size of a deck of cards.
If you connect your TV set directly from the wall with a cable wire, you will need equipment, such as a Digital Adapter, for every TV in your home."
post #23546 of 23547 Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
So I discovered I can't get the local HD channels anymore (audio plays but no video on 3.1, 5.1, etc.) after buying my new 4K display for my bedroom which is what has been posted would happen. Just didn't know it had happened. No biggie since I will just use the Spectrum channel on my Roku Ultra. What's strange is how confusing the whole update thing is right now. I eventually just upgraded my internet speed from turbo to the next level (forgot what it's called) and apparently if you don't switch to Spectrum that $10 increase in speed and the $40 increase is all you can get now by staying as TWC. If you want the 60 or 100 Mbps you have to switch and depending on what channel package you have you are sort of screwed. With my current channel package I would have to enroll in their gold package unless I wanted to lose a bunch of channels and to add the 60 Mbps to the gold my bill would have gone up from 164.60 to 197.00. No one was offering any type of discounts. Very confusing since the first three CS reps I talked to didn't mention I could just go with the $10 increase (which is giving me around 39 Mbps) until the fourth guy said I could just do that since I was still considered TWC. Not sure what to think about this but at least my speed is up and my bill only went up $10.

EQUIPMENT:Panasonic TH-65PZ850U plasma
OPPO BDP-103 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Onkyo PR-SC5507P-Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-2 Mythos 4 (l/r)-1 Mythos 8 (c)-2 Mythos BPX (sides)-2 NHT Super Zero (rears)-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Sony SDP-EP9ES digital surround processor-Xbox 360 Elite-Xbox One S-Roku 3 streaming player-DVDO Edge, Darbeevision Darblet
post #23547 of 23547 Old Today, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
So just in case anyone was interested I followed up with a possible switch from TWC to Spectrum last night. As my previous post, things were sort of confusing when talking to four different CS reps and I eventually just stayed with TWC but increased my internet speed from turbo to their next tier for $10 a month which left me with a bill of $174 a month for cable service and internet. Decided to see if there were any deals to make switching worth it and after looking online I decided to call and talk with Spectrum again. Well the person I talked to was very nice and patient and explained and answered my questions pretty much. I wanted to keep my top tier cable lineup that I have now (which included one of TWC sports packages) and possible increase my interenet speed, plus just keep my 2 HD cable boxes (the rep said they do have newer Spectrum boxes that are basically the same just a bit quicker menu and guide-wise if you want but I think you have to pay $4.95 per month, not sure about that though.), keep my own modem and no phone. So to keep the same cable service I had to use their Gold tier which has every channel that I have now plus quite a few more and 5 or 6 movie channels such as HBO and others (I still haven't been able to find an actual list of what the Gold channel lineup is, though). This was part of the Gold tier for no extra charge (included in this tier is a free modem if you want it, free DVR though you do have to pay the 16.95 a month charge) and you also get, for no extra charge, either 60 Mbps or 100Mbps internet (the speed you get depends on where you live and from what I understand you eventually will be bumped up to the higher speed, again for no extra charge, once they finish converting your area to be able to get the higher speed). So now I'm looking at keeping my same channel lineup plus new channels, internet speed that went from the 30 Mbps I had just signed up for from TWC for that extra $10, to 60 Mbps, being able to keep my 2 boxes and modem for $163 a month for the next 12 months. The rep did throw in a $30 discount. After a year this would go up to $183 then, after 2 more years, would go up another $20 which would be the fee for the movie channels that were included. But the rep said there was no reason I would have to pay that rate and that all I had to do was call before the end of the year and they would fix me up with whatever discount was available. So I switched since I was getting more channels, an increase of 30Mbps in my internet service and keeping my own equipment for $11 less per month for the next year. It seemed a bit too good to be sure but you do have a 30 day guarantee. My service should switch over sometime today and we'll see how that goes. So I guess you should look at what they have to offer since you may be able to get a pretty good deal. They do have all types of bundles, also.

EQUIPMENT:Panasonic TH-65PZ850U plasma
OPPO BDP-103 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Onkyo PR-SC5507P-Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-2 Mythos 4 (l/r)-1 Mythos 8 (c)-2 Mythos BPX (sides)-2 NHT Super Zero (rears)-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Sony SDP-EP9ES digital surround processor-Xbox 360 Elite-Xbox One S-Roku 3 streaming player-DVDO Edge, Darbeevision Darblet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page