AVS Forum banner

Using DirecTV cabling for OTA

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  rabbit73 
#1 ·
I am installing a OTA antenna on my roof. Will go to one tv.
I have a Direct tv dish on the roof I'm not using and I'd like to use the cable from that to connect to the antenna.
There are two cables I disconnected from the Dish, I connected my OTA antenna to them but I can't get a signal using either Direct tv cable.

Can I use the Direct tv cable or do I need to run a seperate one from the OTA antenna?
The Direct tc cable is run into my house very neatly so it would be great If I could use it

#2 ·
#4 ·
#6 ·
There is a splitter on the side of the house where the cable goes into the house. I'll look at that. The two cables from the dish are on the splitter then one cable goes into the house.
If I can't get a signal I'll run a new cable from the Antenna into the house

#7 · (Edited)
THAT's the source of your problem....it's a MULTISWITCH which selects which of the two cables coming out of the LNB is to be connected to the DirecTV Receiver....based on different DC Voltages from the Receiver selecting either Right or Left Hand Polarized signals from the Satellite.

#8 · (Edited)
To answer your question:
Can I use the Direct tv cable or do I need to run a seperate one from the OTA antenna?
Yes, you can uae the coax cable if it is in good condition, but you must not use any DirecTV equipment that is connected to it.
If I can't get a signal I'll run a new cable from the Antenna into the house
As a test, you can connect one outside cable to one inside cable using an F-81 adapter.

If that doesn't work, you will need to tell us more about your setup and try a new separate cable from the antenna to the TV.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.