Denver, CO - Comcast - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #271 of 4033 Old 11-28-2003, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jim Schoedler,

Thanks for the site to check out the up and coming PBS in HD programing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JimD03,

I too would like to see Comcast update the HD on screen programing guide. I also would like to see them add more HD content soon - very soon .

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 4033 Old 11-30-2003, 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JimD03
I would like to see the Comcast on-screen guide showing the KRMA HD channel (658) schedule rather than a copy of the channel 6 schedule.

Thanks for the feedback. We are working on adding program guide info (dynamic PSIP) to our signal; then we'll need to work with Comcast to have them translate it to cable. This could be many months away.

At the present time Comcast seems to use a program listing service. They are displaying what's on analog CH 6 rather than our DTV channel 18, which differs except during the simulcast periods.

Jim Schoedler
post #273 of 4033 Old 12-02-2003, 11:44 AM

I recently purchased a Samsung HLN507w and just signed up to have the Comcast HD package installed on Dec. 18. I am very much considering this a trial. This might be a can of worms, but is there any new info regarding additional programming? Any movement on the ABC/CBS fronts?

ÂI hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts. -Orson Welles
post #274 of 4033 Old 12-02-2003, 02:04 PM

How about Voom? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get it myself due to LOS problems, but what is the scoop with local channels in HD through Voom in the Denver area? I searched this forum for info on Voom in Denver and got no matches. It is being advertised on the Denver Post Web site, so I would assume there is some availability. Anyone know the scoop?

ÂI hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts. -Orson Welles
post #275 of 4033 Old 12-02-2003, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It's my understanding that VOOMs local HD channels are simply the OTA signals integrated with their satellite programing. The same as D*TV & Dish...

MiD
post #276 of 4033 Old 12-02-2003, 03:38 PM
DP1
AVS Special Member

Any of you guys getting Starz! HD yet on Comcast? Apparently it launched and theres been at least one report of Comcast carrying it already in Utah.

Dan

Don't confuse me with facts...
My mind is made up.
;-)
post #277 of 4033 Old 12-02-2003, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well,

I got excited seeing all the posts of people getting CBS HD / Starz HD etc. in their Comcast areas. SO I called up Comcast and asked what we could expect here in Denver. All the CSR could tell me is that they are continually trying to get new contract agreements for HD and will air the material as soon as the contracts are made. Nothing new at this time... I just hope that we get CBS in Denver before the Superbowl is here.

Jeff
post #278 of 4033 Old 12-02-2003, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

Funny thing is, I've seen Comcast adds claiming they have all 3 major networks available in HD now the last week.

" I say down with stretch-O-vision and any channel to use it! "
post #279 of 4033 Old 12-07-2003, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm new to this forum. I'm currently a Dish subscriber with HDTV (6000 receiver). I'm going to be switching to Comcast later this week and have 2 questions:

1) I'd really like to be able to get the Superbowl in HDTV but I understand that Comcast is not offering CBS yet in Denver. Is there speculation that they may offer it before Feb 1st? My other option is to keep my Dish until the Superbowl which will cost me.

2) As I understand it Comcast will install a DCT2000 in one room and the 5100 for my HDTV set. On the system with DCT2000 I will have a Tivo attached. Does anyone know if I'll be able to use serial control on the DCT2000 from the Tivo. I've heard this unit offers that capability but it depends on your local cable provider also. Does Comcast/Denver offer this option?

Thanks,
David
post #280 of 4033 Old 12-07-2003, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by davidwsica
Does anyone know if I'll be able to use serial control on the DCT2000 from the Tivo. I've heard this unit offers that capability but it depends on your local cable provider also. Does Comcast/Denver offer this option?

Thanks,
David

I have both boxes on the same TV, and I control the DCT 2000 (actually, I'm not sure that's the right model but its a DCT 2xxx) with the serial connection from the TiVo. Works great, but I have to keep the DCT 2xxx covered up because of its close proximity to the DCT 5100. They use the same remote control. Sounds like you won't have this problem.

Tim
post #281 of 4033 Old 12-07-2003, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by davidwsica
Is there speculation that they may offer it before Feb 1st? My other option is to keep my Dish until the Superbowl which will cost me.

Yes, there's speculation, but no hard facts. I posted on 11/5 about my discussion with a CSR, but that was a while ago, and I haven't talked to them since.
post #282 of 4033 Old 12-10-2003, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

This is a compare of Denver's Comcast HD Vs. DirecTV HD Quality

I've only compared a few things. I have basic cable. For My high Def I have a Zenith SAT520 with DirecTV. From Highlands Ranch I pick up all of the station OTA (Even KMGH). I recently bought a LG 3100A and decided to hook it up to the cable to see what it could pick up via the QAM Comcast. Well, It got HBOHD, ShowtimeHD, ESPNHD, INHD1 and 2 (although it's been off since yesterday), KUSA, KRMA and KDVR.
I compared OTA "The Tonight Show" to the Comcast "The Tonight Show". The OTA broadcast was clearly sharper. Tonight I watched the U of F game and compared the two. I couldn't discern any difference in picture quality between the two. The few QAM unscrambled channel's that I got looked worse than DirecTV SD. INHD seems pretty worthless, definitely no competition for HDnet.
All this was done with the same cables, both LG boxes via a mechanical switch box. Mitsubishi 55857 TV.
post #283 of 4033 Old 12-11-2003, 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Greg T
This is a compare of Denver's Comcast HD Vs. DirecTV HD Quality

I've only compared a few things. I have basic cable. For My high Def I have a Zenith SAT520 with DirecTV. From Highlands Ranch I pick up all of the station OTA (Even KMGH). I recently bought a LG 3100A and decided to hook it up to the cable to see what it could pick up via the QAM Comcast. Well, It got HBOHD, ShowtimeHD, ESPNHD, INHD1 and 2 (although it's been off since yesterday), KUSA, KRMA and KDVR.
I compared OTA "The Tonight Show" to the Comcast "The Tonight Show". The OTA broadcast was clearly sharper. Tonight I watched the U of F game and compared the two. I couldn't discern any difference in picture quality between the two. The few QAM unscrambled channel's that I got looked worse than DirecTV SD. INHD seems pretty worthless, definitely no competition for HDnet.
All this was done with the same cables, both LG boxes via a mechanical switch box. Mitsubishi 55857 TV.

That was a interesting post. I had been wondering how Comcast compares to DirecTV.

I have a question about the movie channels. Showtime has an annoying lip-sync issue that ruins some movies. Have you seen this on Comcast?

Steve
post #284 of 4033 Old 12-11-2003, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched a little of Vanella Sky this evening, and didn't notice a lip sync problem. I'll let you know if I do.
post #285 of 4033 Old 12-12-2003, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Does anyone know where I can go to see a daily/weekly schedule of what HD programs are broadcast on Comcast? A fried of mine just got a new HDTV and Comcast HD and I need to know when to invite myself over
post #286 of 4033 Old 12-12-2003, 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by David James
Does anyone know where I can go to see a daily/weekly schedule of what HD programs are broadcast on Comcast? A fried of mine just got a new HDTV and Comcast HD and I need to know when to invite myself over

I use titantv.com, which you can manually configure for some of the stations that are not in their list for Comcast. I also subscribe to HDTV Magazine, which is an online magazine that sends out a daily email with the schedule for all stations currently broadcasting in HD. http://www.ilovehdtv.com is the website for HDTV Magazine.

Steve
post #287 of 4033 Old 12-17-2003, 09:28 PM

In case anyone didn't know, the Broncos game against Indianapolis on Sunday 21st December is in hi-def on ESPN HD. Looking forwards to my first HD Broncos experience.
post #288 of 4033 Old 12-17-2003, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm gonna miss it...sucks
post #289 of 4033 Old 12-17-2003, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Wait! We ain't leavin' 'till Monday! YeeeHaawww!!!!
post #290 of 4033 Old 12-18-2003, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a couple of friends who each have big screen TV's but don't have HD, so I've invited them over for the game on Sunday to show them how REAL TV should be viewed!!!!

LOL

Now a member of the Marquee Maniacs Club
post #291 of 4033 Old 12-19-2003, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

For anyone who missed the announcement over in HDTV Programming, CBS and Comcast have finally reached an agreement which *should* allow the Super Bowl in February to be seen in HD on Comcast.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=340133

You are indeed a wise man! - TotallyPreWired
post #292 of 4033 Old 12-19-2003, 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dr_mal
For anyone who missed the announcement over in HDTV Programming, CBS and Comcast have finally reached an agreement which *should* allow the Super Bowl in February to be seen in HD on Comcast.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=340133

That's HUGE! I just got my Comcast HD STB yesterday and I asked the obligitory questions of the installer. Who knows how accurate his info is, but here's what he told me: Comcast will be releasing an HD STB with HD PVR capabilites complete with an active DVI output. I thought that was pretty huge. I'm a Tivo fan, but if I can get HD PVR functionality, I'm sold.

post #293 of 4033 Old 12-19-2003, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm still holding out for the HD DirecTiVo, but I'm happy for all you Comcast customers who currently don't have CBS-HD. CSI and CSI: Miami are probably some of the best looking HD primetime shows out there.

You are indeed a wise man! - TotallyPreWired
post #294 of 4033 Old 12-19-2003, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

This is great news! The question now is when will channel 4 actually appear on Comcast? I've checked both parties' Web sites and don't see anything about the announcement as of this morning. In another thread, one guy claimed that his CBS O&O station was supposed to be up and running by this afternoon. I assume that Comcast already has the fiber link to them, as they apparently do to channel 7. Anybody know anything?

Quote:

Originally posted by Your User Name:
Comcast will be releasing an HD STB with HD PVR capabilites complete with an active DVI output. I thought that was pretty huge. I'm a Tivo fan, but if I can get HD PVR functionality, I'm sold.

I was excited about getting a Moto 6208, but the other day I read that the PVR in that unit doesn't come close to TiVo in functionality. I don't think I want to pay $10 a month (that's the number I've heard) for a PVR that has a lousy guide, no season passes, etc. I wonder if a stand-alone HD TiVo will be out around the same time as the HD DirecTiVo.

Tim
post #295 of 4033 Old 12-19-2003, 11:06 AM

So this is only good news to those whose local CBS affiliate is owned by Viacom? Is that the case in Denver?

post #296 of 4033 Old 12-19-2003, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, this agreement applies here in Denver. There are other markets where the CBS affiliate is owned by somebody other than Viacom/CBS, and many (most, all?) of them have been on Comcast in those areas.
post #297 of 4033 Old 12-19-2003, 11:18 AM

Well I just called Comcast and the CSR I talked to (for whatever that is worth) told me he doubts CBS will be up in HD in time for the Super Bowl, but he expects it shortly thereafter.

post #298 of 4033 Old 12-19-2003, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

From what I heard they are planning on launching CBS ASAP (before the superbowl). Also Starz HD and Cinemax HD are to launch here in Denver on 1/6/2004 (less thatn a month away)...

Jeff
post #299 of 4033 Old 12-19-2003, 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jefftaz
From what I heard they are planning on launching CBS ASAP (before the superbowl). Also Starz HD and Cinemax HD are to launch here in Denver on 1/6/2004 (less thatn a month away)...

Jeff

Yeah the CSR I spoke with mentioned the Starz and Cinemax launch, but said CBS by the SB was a possiblilty, but unlikely. I hope and pray he doesn't know squat.

post #300 of 4033 Old 12-20-2003, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

So how much more compressed with the non-HD channels become? This CBS-HD news is making Comcast that much more attractive, but I am very concerned the SD channels will look like ca-ca. I guess I have time before I think about switching from Dish...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page