Forum Jump: 

post #3781 of 4033 Old 04-29-2010, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Trout_Bum View Post

Yep, I'm fed up with Comcast! I am likely going to be telling them to talk a long walk off of a short pier tomorrow (to put it rather nicely).

The way I look at it, they could just leave the expanded basic package in-the-clear so the QAM tuners could handle it. But no, they somehow managed to sweet-talk the FCC out of that and it is now a hassle for us, the consumers, to deal with. They're sticking it to the consumer, in part because they know they've placated most of them and can get away with it. Ever heard the term "sheeple"? They're out to make the most money they can for the least amount of work/service provided in the easiest way possible. Yes, it's capitalism, take it or leave it, and I will. I'm not the type of person who will eat BS and say I like it, or continue to eat it and not complain. I'm more of the type who would get up, kick "The Man" in the nads, and walk away to go it alone.

I can get more than enough from OTA. Yes, my kids will miss Disney and I'll miss some of my channels, but (Audixium, you are right) this IS only tv! I'm fed up with paying out the wazoo for this! I can do a lot with $600 - $700 a year, so I think it's time to take my money and do something else with it. My Netflix will easily fill the void, especially with all of the new streaming content.

This reminds me of when I swore off Blockbuster and switched to Netflix. The store manager even lived two doors down from me, and we were friendly. I got fed up with fighting to get a movie, dealing with taking it back, and relentless late charges on my account that were for movies I had not ever rented. They have not gotten a penny of my money since (wow, thinking about it, that's been a lot of years ago).

What REALLY SUCKS for me here is that I will still have to deal with comcast's crap. My in-laws will not switch. If I don't help them, they're going to get taken like everyone else. I can't/won't stand by and watch them WASTE hundreds of dollars. Just TODAY, they told my MIL that she didn't need the free DTA's, but instead had her convinced they needed to RENT several more STB's, for a grand total of $24/month more than they're already paying (two $5/month boxes, and 2 $7/month boxes)! That's the kind of bull that I'm fed up with! I don't just walk around trashing companies that don't deserve it. In this case, comcast certainly does!!!

Comcast has never supported QAM so I don't understand why you expect them to provide it? And the main reason they are encrypting it is most likely that is what the content providers want. ESPN, Discovery, Disney etc don't want their content being passed in the clear digitally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 4033 Old 04-29-2010, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh404 View Post

Comcast has never supported QAM so I don't understand why you expect them to provide it? And the main reason they are encrypting it is most likely that is what the content providers want. ESPN, Discovery, Disney etc don't want their content being passed in the clear digitally.

Yes, but other providers (TWC) in other areas do a better job of supporting QAM - like not scattering the channels around in random locations, or moving them on a regular basis. Next time I'm in that TWC area, I'll check to see if they scramble all of channels that are scrambled here.

I called tonight to see about what happened to FitTV. Yes, they did move it to Digital Preferred - which I pay for. But since I'm only using a DTA on my analog TV, not a digital cable box, I can't get that channel on that TV, even though I pay for the service that used to give it to me. I need to pay $7.45 to get a cable box for an analog TV to see that channel. I can't wait until their transition is complete to see what else they have in store.
post #3783 of 4033 Old 04-30-2010, 12:25 AM

You do NOT need to pay Comcast $7.45 for the FIRST cable box. One FREE set-top box comes with the the Digital Preferred package. You should be able to go in and pick up one from you local Comcast store. I have Digital Preferred with TWO Motorola DCT700s and TWO of the new DTA boxes. I am paying ONLY for the second DCT700. If Comcast tells you otherwise, they are pulling your chain.

Actually, I'm a little confused. If you have Digital Preferred, you could not have been receiving the channels you are paying for without already having the first set-top box of some type. Did they try and substitute the DTA box for the real thing?
post #3784 of 4033 Old 04-30-2010, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh99 View Post

You do NOT need to pay Comcast $7.45 for the FIRST cable box. One FREE set-top box comes with the the Digital Preferred package. You should be able to go in and pick up one from you local Comcast store. I have Digital Preferred with TWO Motorola DCT700s and TWO of the new DTA boxes. I am paying ONLY for the second DCT700. If Comcast tells you otherwise, they are pulling your chain.

Actually, I'm a little confused. If you have Digital Preferred, you could not have been receiving the channels you are paying for without already having the first set-top box of some type. Did they try and substitute the DTA box for the real thing?

I already have an HD DVR on one TV, so this would be a second box. However, when I went to the most recent bill that included equipment prices (12/09), I see that a "Standard Digital Set-Top Receiver" is only $3.20. So I'll need to call back - maybe I'll be less annoyed at them in the morning. But I'll still be pissed off that I have to pay more money to get the same channels that I was getting a few weeks ago, even though I haven't changed anything.
post #3785 of 4033 Old 04-30-2010, 12:54 AM

I asked the same question about the $3.20 SD box and was told that it did not exist as far as Comcast Customer Service was concerned. What you see online and what you can actually get by phone are two different things. However, they did offer to discount the second box by 50% for one year. It was $6.95 at the time. When it went up to $7.45, the discount remained unchanged. The third box is $3.00 per month, but then the price goes back up again for additional boxes.
post #3786 of 4033 Old 04-30-2010, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Seriously, after people in Denver begging Concast to carry the Tennis Channel for the past half freaking decade, it still isn't on the new line-up, either SD or HD? Really???

Why is that???

I know the satellite companies have had it for years, but I'm not switching to satellite, and it sure as heck isn't because I'm satisfied with the cable company service quality and pricing. (*Ackkkk....*)

Concast carries it in Colorado Springs, so why not Denver? Honestly, I just do not understand what their problem is, and please don't even get started with some lame apologistic defense like "there's no demand for that channel". I mean, have you seen some of the junk in the line-up??? Adding the Tennis Channel should be a no-brainer, and with more tournaments / matches appearing exclusively on that channel, not getting it from Concast has meant a WHOLE lot less tennis viewing over the past year.

If somebody knows what the Concast vendetta in Denver is against the sport of tennis, people would really like to know, because it's just pathetic. There simply is NO good excuse left at this point for not finally resolving this after all these years. NONE.
post #3787 of 4033 Old 04-30-2010, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Since this has become a bash party here you go:

The Consumerist has awarded Comcast the Golden Poo award for the worst company in America.

Congratulations Comcast; You're The Worst Company In America!

Now, we can jump up and down, get red in the face, declare from the hilltop they are in fact the worst company in the universe (and clearly not get anywhere with Comcast), or make a choice:

-Live with it
-Switch

Let the bashing continue...

(unsub)

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #3788 of 4033 Old 04-30-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient-sky View Post

Comcast probably won't be able to help you with this. 7MC gets its guide data from Microsoft, not from Comcast.

Unfortunately, Microsoft's guide data provider seems to have jumped the gun and eliminated all the old channel IDs instead of just adding the new ones for those people in Parker and Lone Tree that were upgraded a couple weeks ago.

I fixed my guide data last night. The process isn't hard, but it is a bit messy (involving editing a 7MB XML file and doing a lot of search and replace). Basically you need to edit your guide lineups file manually and change the physicalNumber and logicalNumber for each channel back to the 600's.

If you want help, send me a PM or do an internet search on "loadmxf" and "mcepg1-1".

An update for those using Windows Media Center. Microsoft's guide provider seems to have updated the channel lineup yesterday, restoring the 600's and removing the 700's.

So for most of us, things should be back to normal. If you're in Parker or Lone Tree, I suspect you may have to manually edit your channel lineup. It will be interesting to see what happens to the guide lineup when Highlands Ranch and Littleton switch to the new channels on May 17.
post #3789 of 4033 Old 04-30-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Dude View Post

Seriously, after people in Denver begging Concast to carry the Tennis Channel for the past half freaking decade, it still isn't on the new line-up, either SD or HD? Really???

Why is that???

I know the satellite companies have had it for years, but I'm not switching to satellite, and it sure as heck isn't because I'm satisfied with the cable company service quality and pricing. (*Ackkkk....*)

Concast carries it in Colorado Springs, so why not Denver? Honestly, I just do not understand what their problem is, and please don't even get started with some lame apologistic defense like "there's no demand for that channel". I mean, have you seen some of the junk in the line-up??? Adding the Tennis Channel should be a no-brainer, and with more tournaments / matches appearing exclusively on that channel, not getting it from Concast has meant a WHOLE lot less tennis viewing over the past year.

If somebody knows what the Concast vendetta in Denver is against the sport of tennis, people would really like to know, because it's just pathetic. There simply is NO good excuse left at this point for not finally resolving this after all these years. NONE.

I noticed that BBCA HD isn't in the new channel lineup either. But I can live with that because I can eventually get most of that content on Blu-Ray, Netflix, iTunes, etc. Sports is one case where anything but live is almost pointless.

I find it frustrating that congress is so easily swayed by the cable companies lobbying against a la carte pricing. If individual channels had to stand on their own merits, the free market would decide which ones were actually worth carrying.

For now, your best option is to speak with your wallet and talk to your city council and congress about your dissatisfaction with your cable company.
post #3790 of 4033 Old 04-30-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:

I noticed that BBCA HD isn't in the new channel lineup either. But I can live with that because I can eventually get most of that content on Blu-Ray, Netflix, iTunes, etc. Sports is one case where anything but live is almost pointless.

I find it frustrating that congress is so easily swayed by the cable companies lobbying against a la carte pricing. If individual channels had to stand on their own merits, the free market would decide which ones were actually worth carrying.

For now, your best option is to speak with your wallet and talk to your city council and congress about your dissatisfaction with your cable company.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I was so disappointed when I noticed that the Tennis Channel was still missing from the new line-up that I totally spaced looking for BBC America. I watch that channel regularly for certain shows (Doctor Who, Torchwood, the talk shows, etc.), and I also would LOVE to see it in HD, as I have requested several times over the past year. Of course, getting a channel in SD is a lot better than not getting it at all, as is the case with the Tennis Channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audixium View Post

Since this has become a bash party here you go:

The Consumerist has awarded Comcast the Golden Poo award for the worst company in America.

Congratulations Comcast; You're The Worst Company In America!

Now, we can jump up and down, get red in the face, declare from the hilltop they are in fact the worst company in the universe (and clearly not get anywhere with Comcast), or make a choice:

-Live with it
-Switch

Let the bashing continue...

(unsub)

Great link! Thanks!
post #3791 of 4033 Old 04-30-2010, 04:01 PM

I think this story says a lot about Comcast's business practices:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/07/sp.../07tennis.html

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ente...cc-filing.html

http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/01/06/co...ennis-channel/

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-update1-.html

Quote:
"Comcast said the Tennis Channel is available to almost every home it serves."

Uhhh, no, actually. To discount the Denver market so summarily is smugly arrogant and rather insulting to its residents.

Thing is, even at $5 a month for the sports tier, I would actually be thrilled to pay that at this point, but it is not even offered here in Denver, despite false promises for years that it would be.

Just pitiful.
post #3792 of 4033 Old 05-02-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:

An update for those using Windows Media Center. Microsoft's guide provider seems to have updated the channel lineup yesterday, restoring the 600's and removing the 700's.

So for most of us, things should be back to normal. If you're in Parker or Lone Tree, I suspect you may have to manually edit your channel lineup. It will be interesting to see what happens to the guide lineup when Highlands Ranch and Littleton switch to the new channels on May 17.

Seeing the new guide data as well. Since Comcast took ownership of the issue by offering a service credit I am assuming that they are at least sourcing the data used by the guide host and therefore can and did help. The question is then who screwed up: Did Comcast feed the data to the guide host too quickly or did the host post an update prematurely? I would bet that the guide data is provided in an automated fashion via an API of some sort and that Comcast borked it up. Either way, it doesn't matter.
post #3793 of 4033 Old 05-03-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydeathsonic View Post

Seeing the new guide data as well. Since Comcast took ownership of the issue by offering a service credit I am assuming that they are at least sourcing the data used by the guide host and therefore can and did help. The question is then who screwed up: Did Comcast feed the data to the guide host too quickly or did the host post an update prematurely? I would bet that the guide data is provided in an automated fashion via an API of some sort and that Comcast borked it up. Either way, it doesn't matter.

I noticed a new set of lineups last night going through guide/tuner setup. In addition to Comcast Aurora/Suburbs, and Comcast Aurora/Suburbs (digital), one can now choose Comcast Aurora (upgrade, digital).

So it looks like whoever created this SNAFU has fixed it by creating new guide lineups.

I also know someone in Parker with a TiVo unit that had the guide lineup for all their HD channels switch back to the 600s late last week. I left them a message to try setting up their TiVo guide again to see if TiVo now offers the same option to choose Comcast Aurora (upgrade, digital).

I suspect Comcast did a poor job communicating/coordinating the channel lineup change with their guide data affiliates.
post #3794 of 4033 Old 05-04-2010, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Anyone here have one of the new Tivo Premiers and been able to receive the clear-QAM HD locals from Comcast WITHOUT a cable card, including the channels higher than 99? If so, how?

P.S> I currently have basic cable.
post #3795 of 4033 Old 05-05-2010, 09:32 AM

You can receive them (after a manual scan) but you won't have any guide data associated with them for recordings. season passes, etc. All you can do is set manual recordings.
post #3796 of 4033 Old 05-05-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

Anyone here have one of the new Tivo Premiers and been able to receive the clear-QAM HD locals from Comcast WITHOUT a cable card, including the channels higher than 99? If so, how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post

You can receive them (after a manual scan) but you won't have any guide data associated with them for recordings. season passes, etc. All you can do is set manual recordings.

In case you weren't aware, Comcast only charges $3 per month for the TiVo3 CableCard Pkg. Seems a small price to pay compared to the cost of your Digital Cable and TiVo subscriptions so you can get all the channels and guide data without the hassles.
post #3797 of 4033 Old 05-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Dishnetwork has all but stopped broadcasting Rockies baseball in HD in 2010 despite FSN Rocky Mountain's promo of "all Rockies games in HD in 2010". Is Directv showing Rockies in HD?
post #3798 of 4033 Old 05-09-2010, 10:38 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by roller11 View Post

Dishnetwork has all but stopped broadcasting Rockies baseball in HD in 2010 despite FSN Rocky Mountain's promo of "all Rockies games in HD in 2010". Is Directv showing Rockies in HD?

Both Comcast and DirecTV carry FSN Rocky Mountain in HD full-time, including every Rockies game. FSN Rocky Mountain is owned by DirecTV, by the way.

User error. Replace user.
post #3799 of 4033 Old 05-09-2010, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Regarding the last two posts:

I haven't kept an exact count but I believe there have probably been 4-6 Rockies games not shown in HD on Dish Network this year. A couple of have been JIP in HD, but I'm counting them as HD. The Rockies have played, what, 30+ games so far?

FSN Rocky Mountain is not owned by DirecTV, if the reference to DirecTV is the satellite programming provider. Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirecTV_Sports_Networks.
post #3800 of 4033 Old 05-10-2010, 07:40 AM

I noticed this weekend that the Longmont, Firestone, Frederick area received the new HD channels in the 700 and 800 range. There is guide data on the Comcast receiver but zap2it and Tivo have yet to get guide data.
post #3801 of 4033 Old 05-11-2010, 02:11 PM

Today in Lafayette we received the Comcast HD update postcard listing the 72 new channels. It states that the lineup will start May 12th...tomorrow. We'll see...
post #3802 of 4033 Old 05-11-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbogus1 View Post

Today in Lafayette we received the Comcast HD update postcard listing the 72 new channels. It states that the lineup will start May 12th...tomorrow. We'll see...

We got the same postcard in Commerce City. I am hoping that they remap the existing HD channels, though the postcard does not mention this.
post #3803 of 4033 Old 05-12-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkauf View Post

We got the same postcard in Commerce City. I am hoping that they remap the existing HD channels, though the postcard does not mention this.

We got the new channels in Commerce City. It appears that the old HD channels are mapped both in the old 6XX location as well as the 7XX location. I am guessing that they will remove the old mappings as a seperate step, likely to reduce confusion. Now, I just need to get my TIVO to update with the new channels.
post #3804 of 4033 Old 05-12-2010, 08:52 AM

What is the new lineup? Would love to see the 72 channels.
post #3805 of 4033 Old 05-12-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkauf View Post

We got the new channels in Commerce City. It appears that the old HD channels are mapped both in the old 6XX location as well as the 7XX location. I am guessing that they will remove the old mappings as a seperate step, likely to reduce confusion. Now, I just need to get my TIVO to update with the new channels.

Good luck with that. I have contacted Comcast, Tivo, and Tribune and nothing has been updated for guide data. Tivo is telling me 7 - 10 business days. Comcast will not give me a date on when they will send the data to Tribune. We have had the new channels since last week. I am in the Longmont, Firestone, frederick area.
post #3806 of 4033 Old 05-13-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiesel View Post

Good luck with that. I have contacted Comcast, Tivo, and Tribune and nothing has been updated for guide data. Tivo is telling me 7 - 10 business days. Comcast will not give me a date on when they will send the data to Tribune. We have had the new channels since last week. I am in the Longmont, Firestone, frederick area.

I did get the Tivo to update with the new channels (I went back through the setup.) However, any of the old HD channels (6xx) do not seem to work at their new location (7xx). I can still get to them using the 6xx channel, but I dont have guide information for most of them. Comcast sent a signal to my cablecards that "would definitely fix the issue", but it appears it did not help.
post #3807 of 4033 Old 05-13-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuman1179 View Post

What is the new lineup? Would love to see the 72 channels.

The new HD channels in the 700's in Superior are
DSC, HSN, MTV, USA, ALT, NIK, AP, TOON,
HIS, HLN, CNN, FNC, LIFE, TWC, CNBC, SPK, BRVO, QVC,
AMC, MSNBC, VH1, TCM, E!, HLMRK, TRTVD, CMDY, TRAV,
DXD, SPD, WE, BIO, GRN, G4, STYLE, TVONE, HI, ID, FBN,
BET, WGN.
Not sure what all of these are yet.
As mentioned no BBC.
Jimy
post #3808 of 4033 Old 05-13-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD03 View Post

The new HD channels in the 700's in Superior are
DSC, HSN, MTV, USA, ALT, NIK, AP, TOON,
HIS, HLN, CNN, FNC, LIFE, TWC, CNBC, SPK, BRVO, QVC,
AMC, MSNBC, VH1, TCM, E!, HLMRK, TRTVD, CMDY, TRAV,
DXD, SPD, WE, BIO, GRN, G4, STYLE, TVONE, HI, ID, FBN,
BET, WGN.
Not sure what all of these are yet.
As mentioned no BBC.

Plus I just noticed the 800's added some HD including IFC, multiple HBO and MAX channels, STZ, ENC, MGM, some sports channels.
post #3809 of 4033 Old 05-14-2010, 01:12 AM

Page 125 of this forum has an image of the Comcast postcard that shows the new channel assignments for the previous 600 block HD channels and the 72 new channels. All of the new channels are HD. In Erie, many, but not all, of the listed channels are now included in the program guide. Also, there are additional channels not included on the postcard. My clear QAM scan now has six channels appearing twice. Two of the new 700 channels are now receivable on the DTA box, but NOT the standard set top box. At this point, there appears to be a great deal of work yet to be done. The dead analog channels have finally been removed. I'm guessing that it will be at least June before the last of the issues has been resolved. It is clear that it will take a while before the the DVR guide data and the online program listings for TV Guide, TitanTV, etc. actually match what Comcast is actually providing. Keep your fingers crossed.
post #3810 of 4033 Old 05-14-2010, 08:16 AM

There are two sets of HD updates right now. If you go to zap2it.com and put in zip 80516 and choose Aurora Rebuild, you will see one set of channels. If yours is similar use that zip. If you put in 80501 and choose Longmont, the channel lineup is a little different. If yours is similar use that zip code. I am in Firestone and had to use the Longmont zip even though Tivo told me to use Aurora.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page