Denver, CO - Comcast - Page 128 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3811 of 4033 Old 05-14-2010, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As well NBA TV HD is listed as a channel in the Longmont, Firestone, Frederick area on both zap2it and Comcast web sites but not showing up yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 4033 Old 05-14-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient-sky View Post

An update for those using Windows Media Center. Microsoft's guide provider seems to have updated the channel lineup yesterday, restoring the 600's and removing the 700's.

So for most of us, things should be back to normal. If you're in Parker or Lone Tree, I suspect you may have to manually edit your channel lineup. It will be interesting to see what happens to the guide lineup when Highlands Ranch and Littleton switch to the new channels on May 17.

Interestingly, I now have all the old 600's and 8 or so 700's on media center. Does anyone have word on when the South burbs will have the final new lineup?
post #3813 of 4033 Old 05-15-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh99 View Post

Page 125 of this forum has an image of the Comcast postcard that shows the new channel assignments for the previous 600 block HD channels and the 72 new channels.

In my area, the 600's are not moved, and the 700's and 800's were added without any notice that they were coming. Nice surprise this week, but this seems to be the norm, that Comcast adds HD channels without any notice.
post #3814 of 4033 Old 05-16-2010, 03:32 PM

Liked: 14
Anyone else having an issue with DTA's and SD cable boxes tuning the wrong channel temporarily when changing channels? For instance, going to ESPN (channel 34) will instead tune Cartoon Network (or some other channel), then fix itself a few seconds later. Our HD DVR does not have this problem, but our other boxes (including both DTA's) do, as well as my sister's cable box. We live in south Jeffco, while my sister is in Westminster.

User error. Replace user.
post #3815 of 4033 Old 05-16-2010, 04:38 PM

My DTAs (2) and SD cable boxes (2) all tune to the correct channel every time. If I enter 34 (ESPN), I get 34 (ESPN) without any "temporary" channel appearing. You seem to have a rather unique problem.
post #3816 of 4033 Old 05-18-2010, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

So i ask my M-I-L while out to Mother's Day dinner whether she ever got a letter from Comcast regarding the digital transition (she has analog cable, but is currently using Clear QAM to view her channels without a STB). She tells me yes, she got the letter a couple of weeks ago. So, what did she do with it? She threw it away because she thought they were just trying to sell her something. Arrgh!

I tell her to call Comcast and see if she can get another copy of the letter. When she calls, they say she doesn't need the letter and they will just send her a STB, which they do. I haven't seen it, but she tells me the model number is DCT2224, which seems like a likely candidate for a "free" "full-function" receiver. I'll be going over there later this week and wire in her setup with the STB as a composite or s-video input to her LCD HDTV. I'll keep Clear QAM as an alternate input so she can watch the locals in HD.

The interesting part of her story is that whomever took her order told her the box was "free" and her monthly rate would now be $39 and change plus taxes and fees. Why is that interesting? Well, she currently pays $64 and change for analog Expanded Basic. Does this sound right to you guys? Will she be getting the Expanded Basic version of digital cable for $25/month less than she was paying for analog cable?

I'd like to check her account on-line, but the Comcast site won't let me since they know my location isn't her location (I have Comcast broadband internet) and my M-I-L isn't on-line at all. If they've reduced her channels, she'll have a kitten, but OTOH, why on earth was analog cable $25/month more than digital cable? Something just doesn't jive here. Helpful comments will be appreciated.
post #3817 of 4033 Old 05-19-2010, 12:53 AM

When you have an "issue" with Comcast, they often will offer you their current "promo" deal which currently is Digital Preferred for $39.99/month for six months. I'm just guessing, but that sounds like what your M-I-L was given. At the end of six months, the price will increase to either $59.99 for another six months, or the full price of $74.94. All of these will have fees and taxes added. Comast is currently also offering Digital Starter for $29.99(1-6)/$49.99(7-12)/$57.99(Full) for new customers only. However, the promos are sometimes offered to keep existing customers happy so they don't switch to satellite.
post #3818 of 4033 Old 05-19-2010, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Did Comcast pull the clear-QAM digital local channels that were on 4-1, 7-1, 9-1, etc?
post #3819 of 4033 Old 05-20-2010, 07:51 AM

No. In Erie, all 54 clear QAM channels are available as well as the 27 analog channels.
post #3820 of 4033 Old 05-20-2010, 12:09 PM

I've been reading posts for the past couple of weeks regarding Comcast modifications throughout the Denver metro area.

I wish to remind readers that I am not directly affiliated with Comcast in any way. However, I have made extensive research on the subject and wish to inform readers who live specifically in the Littleton/Highlands Ranch area.

For starters, Comcast took the entire Denver metro area and divided it into 12 different service zones. The modifications to the network have rolled out over the past month and will continue over the next two months. The modifications have taken place on a zone by zone basis so as to accommodate as many customers as possible within a particular zone and eliminate many customer service inquiries.

Comcast is not particularly forthright in how zones are drawn up. Thus, it is quite possible that some customers may be a block or neighborhood apart from one another, but will be in different zones with wildly differing roll-out dates.

The Longmont/Fort Collins zone was essentially the first zone to see the modifications. Customers should have seen those modifications last month. The Littleton/Highlands Ranch area, on the other hand, is slighted to be one of the last zones to see modifications.

Definitively, in the Littleton/Highlands Ranch area, the change-over from analog to digital featuring many channels in the 1-99 line-up should occur on May 31. 40 channels in that group will make the permanent change over from analog to digital on that day. The new HD channel line-up, featuring the move of the existing HD channels (from the 600s to the 700s) as well as the addition of 72 other HD channels, will take place on June 21.

According to customer service, Comcast kept its tentative network modification schedule in all cases except one. The Northglenn zone had a delay of approximately two days. Comcast was on time, according to its timetable, with all other zones receiving modifications.

Furthermore, if you are a TiVo user, whether yours is the old school Series 3 or the shiny new Premiere, Comcast has gone on record by saying that service should not be interrupted going forward. When the modifications take place, updates should roll out to CableCARDs at the same time as they do to Comcast HD boxes and HD DVRs. Personally, I figure that the handshake between the Tribune Media Services guide data and Comcast's channel lineup will be set to go for the Littleton/Highlands Ranch zone next month when the new channels become available.

Finally, you may have heard Comcast mentioning adding other new channels in the Denver metro area. One of the particular channels Comcast has paid particularly close attention to locally is ESPNU. Apparently, customer service has received many calls requesting the channel because of the recent NCAA College Hockey Tournament and NCAA College Lacrosse tournament and the University of Denver's involvement therein. Comcast claims that deciding to provide new channels to customers is simply a bandwidth issue. The concern is whether or not enough bandwidth is available to support additional channels regardless of whether those channels are in HD or SD. The reality is that in Denver, Comcast takes DirecTV's signal, compresses it heavily, repackages it with its own advertising and then streams it out across its bandwidth. Smart money is on Comcast providing this particular channel sometime in the near future. The belief is that customers should see it as an option before the end of the year.
post #3821 of 4033 Old 05-20-2010, 07:49 PM

i'll be moving to denver in 2.5 weeks. is there a convenient listing somewhere for the denver metro lineups that shows that minimum level of service you need to get various HD channels?

in virginia the locals are in the clear, and i get them without any digital service. but i think i might upgrade to be able to get things like food, dsc, abcfam, etc in hd.
post #3822 of 4033 Old 05-21-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agolod View Post

Furthermore, if you are a TiVo user, whether yours is the old school Series 3 or the shiny new Premiere, Comcast has gone on record by saying that service should not be interrupted going forward. When the modifications take place, updates should roll out to CableCARDs at the same time as they do to Comcast HD boxes and HD DVRs. Personally, I figure that the handshake between the Tribune Media Services guide data and Comcast's channel lineup will be set to go for the Littleton/Highlands Ranch zone next month when the new channels become available.

When you say that updates should roll out to the CableCards at the same time, does this mean that I should be getting my old HD channels at their new locations like I do on my Comcast provided DVR? For example, should I be able to get channel 709 (NBC HD) via my CableCard? My Tivo has guide data for 709, but the CC will not let me tune in that channel.

Comcast wants me to replace my CC's in my Tivo to fix the issue. I am thinking its not two bad CC's. I noticed that other areas were notified that the old HD channels would relocate, where as in our area we just got a postcard indicating the new HD channels would be coming. Was this intentional, maybe a two-phase approach? Or did they simply not mention the relocation of channels?

-Greg
post #3823 of 4033 Old 05-21-2010, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwad666 View Post

i'll be moving to denver in 2.5 weeks. is there a convenient listing somewhere for the denver metro lineups that shows that minimum level of service you need to get various HD channels?

in virginia the locals are in the clear, and i get them without any digital service. but i think i might upgrade to be able to get things like food, dsc, abcfam, etc in hd.

Go here: comcast channel lineup and input your new information. It may be tricky if someone there already has a comcast account. You can also call. Pretty soon there won't be any non-digital service, but the HD locals should still be available via clear QAM. No other HD will be, though.
post #3824 of 4033 Old 05-21-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakon View Post

Go here: comcast channel lineup and input your new information. It may be tricky if someone there already has a comcast account. You can also call. Pretty soon there won't be any non-digital service, but the locals will still be in the clear. No other HD will be, though.

thanks gakon, i am already familiar with that lineup information and it just lists all of the channels they provide. if one selects "digital basic" is shows ZERO HD channels, even though we know this to be untrue. the menu lists a generic "DIgital HDTV" option which tells you all of the HD channels they carry, but not what digital tier you need to get the various channels.
post #3825 of 4033 Old 05-21-2010, 03:50 PM

The Comcast online channel lists by package are almost always inaccurate. The "print channel lineup" will come closer, but is still inaccurate. Comast is in the process of adding 72 new HD channels across the Denver metro area. Added to the 36 HD channels already available, Comcast will have over 100 HD channels available. In general, you will have access to the HD channels that correspond to the SD channels in the package level you choose. If you pay for an HD set-top box or HD DVR, then you will get those matching HD channels. Comcast only has two digital package levels (Starter and Preferred), not counting the packages adding two and five premium channels like HBO and Showtime. There is also a separate Sports package, but many of those channels are already included in the Preferred package. Right now, you can get the Preferred package for $9.99 more per month than the Starter package for six months. The Preferred package provides most everything except the premium channels and few sports channels (not counting the MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL seasonal packages). The only way you will ever know for sure what you will get is to choose a package, have the equipment installed and see what you actually get.
post #3826 of 4033 Old 05-21-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkauf View Post

When you say that updates should roll out to the CableCards at the same time, does this mean that I should be getting my old HD channels at their new locations like I do on my Comcast provided DVR? For example, should I be able to get channel 709 (NBC HD) via my CableCard? My Tivo has guide data for 709, but the CC will not let me tune in that channel.

Comcast wants me to replace my CC's in my Tivo to fix the issue. I am thinking its not two bad CC's. I noticed that other areas were notified that the old HD channels would relocate, where as in our area we just got a postcard indicating the new HD channels would be coming. Was this intentional, maybe a two-phase approach? Or did they simply not mention the relocation of channels?

-Greg

OK, I just checked my Comcast DVR, and the old HD channels that had been remapped to the 7xx locations are now gone. So the Cablecard and my DVR are now the same.
post #3827 of 4033 Old 05-26-2010, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When you have an "issue" with Comcast, they often will offer you their current "promo" deal which currently is Digital Preferred for $39.99/month for six months. I'm just guessing, but that sounds like what your M-I-L was given. At the end of six months, the price will increase to either $59.99 for another six months, or the full price of $74.94. All of these will have fees and taxes added. Comast is currently also offering Digital Starter for $29.99(1-6)/$49.99(7-12)/$57.99(Full) for new customers only. However, the promos are sometimes offered to keep existing customers happy so they don't switch to satellite.

Someone previously noted that the digital conversion of those on analog with the Expanded Basic package puts them in the Digital Starter package. Assuming that is true, what is the monthly cost, before taxes and fees, for Digital Starter with no promotional reductions (i.e., what is the standard, none promotional cost of Digital Starter)?

Thanks in advance.
post #3828 of 4033 Old 05-26-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

Did Comcast pull the clear-QAM digital local channels that were on 4-1, 7-1, 9-1, etc?

Update: after 4-1, 7-1, 9-1, etc went away (new Tivo Premiere) I did a rescan and they came back...but...I ended up with two sets of each, one that worked and one that did not. I know I can delete the older, non-working set but I don't quite understand why 4-1 (or 7-1 or 9-1) can owrk, then not work then be replaced by duplicates. Shouldn't the new overwrite the old?
post #3829 of 4033 Old 05-26-2010, 01:06 PM

As indicated in the entry you quoted, the "Full" price of Digital Starter is $57.99.
post #3830 of 4033 Old 05-26-2010, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

As usual, trying to get what you need from Comcast is a pain as they (like DirecTV) try to deny certain things in order to try and upsell to higher cost services. What I'm trying to get is Digital Starter (on sale for $29.99) + HDTV ($10) + CableCard ($3). Is this unreasonable?
post #3831 of 4033 Old 05-26-2010, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

So far, so good. Despite a lot of protest and attempts to upsell they let me have that configuration. They say I can pick the equipment up from their office in Boulder later today, including the cablecard. Is it possible to install a cablecard into a HD Tivo Premier and activate it myself somehow or will I have to wait until the technician visits late next week?
post #3832 of 4033 Old 05-26-2010, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As indicated in the entry you quoted, the "Full" price of Digital Starter is $57.99.

Thanks, it wasn't clear to me the first time. So I'm guessing the $64 and change ($57.99 plus taxes and fees) she is now paying is what she will be paying again some time in the future after this $39.9? "gift" price expires. I don't mind that, I just wanted to be sure that she was getting the digital equivalent of her current analog package.
post #3833 of 4033 Old 05-26-2010, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I (or rather my wife - she's ruthless! ;-) was able to get Digital Starter today for $29.99/mo for 12 months instead of the usual 6 months promo. Plus, $8/mo for HD. They also threw in 3 months of HBO for free and waived the $15.99 cost for the tehnician to come out and install the cable card.
post #3834 of 4033 Old 05-27-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

I (or rather my wife - she's ruthless! ;-) was able to get Digital Starter today for $29.99/mo for 12 months instead of the usual 6 months promo. Plus, $8/mo for HD. They also threw in 3 months of HBO for free and waived the $15.99 cost for the tehnician to come out and install the cable card.

Obi-wan has taught her well...
post #3835 of 4033 Old 05-31-2010, 09:17 AM

Finally, TiVo seems to have fixed the guide to reflect the actual channel layout.
post #3836 of 4033 Old 05-31-2010, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agolod View Post

The Littleton/Highlands Ranch area, on the other hand, is slighted to be one of the last zones to see modifications.

Definitively, in the Littleton/Highlands Ranch area, the change-over from analog to digital featuring many channels in the 1-99 line-up should occur on May 31. 40 channels in that group will make the permanent change over from analog to digital on that day. The new HD channel line-up, featuring the move of the existing HD channels (from the 600s to the 700s) as well as the addition of 72 other HD channels, will take place on June 21.

Good to see that they took away most of the analog channels already (at least a week before May 31 - just didn't post about it right away) but that we won't see the new HD channels for 3 more weeks.

I see Fox News in the new lineup . It doesn't say HD, but I would assume that it is? Any confirmation?
post #3837 of 4033 Old 05-31-2010, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Regarding Comcast locals via Clear QAM, where might I currently find KTVD, Channel 20 (My20) in Clear QAM? If I punch in 20-1 I get some Spanish HD station. All the other locals come in on their OTA DTV channel numbers, except My20, here in Arvada.

BTW, the digital transition for my M-I-L is not going smoothly or well. Went through two Activation attempts so far (why on earth does it take 45 minutes to implement the activation and why does one need to speak to a CSR to implement the process; archaic) with the first activation attempt failing completely and the second activating the STB, but with most functions inoperable. Tech support worked with me on it for some time and decided the STB might be defective. So off to Comcast tomorrow to exchange the STB and try again. Also, that primary STB may be "full function", but they really "de-contented" it (e.g., s-video and digital audio out are disabled).
post #3838 of 4033 Old 05-31-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB II View Post

Regarding Comcast locals via Clear QAM, where might I currently find KTVD, Channel 20 (My20) in Clear QAM? If I punch in 20-1 I get some Spanish HD station. All the other locals come in on their OTA DTV channel numbers, except My20, here in Arvada.

My TV still gets KTVD-DT on 20.1 (remapped from QAM 117.1). When Comcast added KTFD-DT (14.1) and KCEC-DT (50.1), they were placed at QAM 20.1 and 20.2. My TV properly remaps them to 14.1 and 50.1 and properly maps KTVD-DT to 20.1, but I have heard of some TV's not mapping things right if the virtual number of one channel coincides with the physical number of another channel. Further confusion may arise from the fact that, at least right now, Comcast is remapping both the SD and HD digital version of KTFD and KCEC, resulting in two different 14.1's and 50.1's (which may also be confusing some TV's).

If you can't get KTVD-DT at 20.1, try a rescan. Also try pressing channel up or channel down while at 20.1 to see if the TV will reach it that way. Your TV may also accept direct input of physical numbers, so try tuning 117.1.

post #3839 of 4033 Old 06-01-2010, 08:45 AM

I just had a "Comcast Chat" requesting information on when Boulder would receive the new channels. It didn't go very well. The rep who chatted with me at first did not understand the question; then when he did, did not have the answer.

The quote was "all channels updates are uploaded by our Local center, as new channels are still being worked on by our engineers so we cannot put in an ETA for this."

This was obviously less than helpful.

I checked the channels this morning and they are the same as before.
post #3840 of 4033 Old 06-01-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoThistle View Post

I just had a "Comcast Chat" requesting information on when Boulder would receive the new channels. It didn't go very well. The rep who chatted with me at first did not understand the question; then when he did, did not have the answer.

The quote was "all channels updates are uploaded by our Local center, as new channels are still being worked on by our engineers so we cannot put in an ETA for this."

This was obviously less than helpful.

I checked the channels this morning and they are the same as before.

This article (from back in March) indicates that Boulder's transition is to take place in July.

http://www.coloradodaily.com/ci_1475...#axzz0pdezrubF

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page