Forum Jump: 

post #3841 of 4033 Old 06-01-2010, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gakon View Post

Good to see that they took away most of the analog channels already (at least a week before May 31 - just didn't post about it right away) but that we won't see the new HD channels for 3 more weeks.

I see Fox News in the new lineup . It doesn't say HD, but I would assume that it is? Any confirmation?

742 = FOX News HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3842 of 4033 Old 06-01-2010, 03:56 PM

Did anyone catch the Stanley Cup playoffs the other day? The compression made everything look horrible when there was any motion. Hello, hocky may not be a high scoring game, but there is movement! I am assuming that this is Comcasts fault, that if I hook up rabbit ears to my TiVo the picture would be much better?
post #3843 of 4033 Old 06-02-2010, 10:52 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkauf View Post

Did anyone catch the Stanley Cup playoffs the other day? The compression made everything look horrible when there was any motion. Hello, hocky may not be a high scoring game, but there is movement! I am assuming that this is Comcasts fault, that if I hook up rabbit ears to my TiVo the picture would be much better?

It's not Comcast's fault. NBC has two digital subchannels (Weather Plus and Universal Sports) that steal bandwidth from the main HD signal. Comcast does not apply any extra compression to any of the local HD stations. Complain to KUSA, not to Comcast (though I think KUSA is obligated to carry the subchannels).

User error. Replace user.
post #3844 of 4033 Old 06-02-2010, 02:23 PM

Any idea when Tivo/Lafayette is going to get program info for the new HD channels...the Zap2it site has the listings, but my Tivo does not. We've had the channels since 5/12.
post #3845 of 4033 Old 06-02-2010, 09:05 PM

Thanks dvdmth, for the information on first, Boulder, and second NBC. I noticed the problem in the hockey game, and I always see it on Sunday Night Football. Certain kinds of motion, especially in close up, are completely fragmented.
post #3846 of 4033 Old 06-03-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbogus1 View Post

Any idea when Tivo/Lafayette is going to get program info for the new HD channels...the Zap2it site has the listings, but my Tivo does not. We've had the channels since 5/12.

Try zip 80516 if you have the same lineup as Aurora or try zip 80501 if you have the same lineup as Longmont.

I have been communicating with Tivo by phone and e-mail for a month now to get my zip fixed but it just is not happening. Those two zip codes work.
post #3847 of 4033 Old 06-03-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Having a problem that Comcast haven't been able to resolve yet buy maybe someone here knows the answer. I'm in Lafayette. I have an activated Tivo Premier that Comcast just came out and installed a MS cablecard into. We subscribed to the digital starter package with HD and also got a full service box. The full service box gets HD channels in the 600s OK but the Tivo won't. The Tivo will get all of the SD channels in the digital starter package and the HD locals in the 650s but not the HD channels. Both the Comcast tech and myself re-ran the guided setup a couple of times and did channel scans but still get the HD channels. Comcast tech says signal is OK and service is OK (because full-service box gets HD channels). He even thinks the cable card is OK but the problem eludes him. We're trying to get another cable card but they're apparently not easy for Comcast techs to get a hold of.
post #3848 of 4033 Old 06-03-2010, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmth View Post

My TV still gets KTVD-DT on 20.1 (remapped from QAM 117.1). When Comcast added KTFD-DT (14.1) and KCEC-DT (50.1), they were placed at QAM 20.1 and 20.2. My TV properly remaps them to 14.1 and 50.1 and properly maps KTVD-DT to 20.1, but I have heard of some TV's not mapping things right if the virtual number of one channel coincides with the physical number of another channel. Further confusion may arise from the fact that, at least right now, Comcast is remapping both the SD and HD digital version of KTFD and KCEC, resulting in two different 14.1's and 50.1's (which may also be confusing some TV's).

If you can't get KTVD-DT at 20.1, try a rescan. Also try pressing channel up or channel down while at 20.1 to see if the TV will reach it that way. Your TV may also accept direct input of physical numbers, so try tuning 117.1.

Well on May 31st, 20-1 was spanish HD, but on June 1st it was My20 as I was hoping. Maybe I caught them in the midst of one of their many on-going changes.
post #3849 of 4033 Old 06-04-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

Having a problem that Comcast haven't been able to resolve yet buy maybe someone here knows the answer. I'm in Lafayette. I have an activated Tivo Premier that Comcast just came out and installed a MS cablecard into. We subscribed to the digital starter package with HD and also got a full service box. The full service box gets HD channels in the 600s OK but the Tivo won't. The Tivo will get all of the SD channels in the digital starter package and the HD locals in the 650s but not the HD channels. Both the Comcast tech and myself re-ran the guided setup a couple of times and did channel scans but still get the HD channels. Comcast tech says signal is OK and service is OK (because full-service box gets HD channels). He even thinks the cable card is OK but the problem eludes him. We're trying to get another cable card but they're apparently not easy for Comcast techs to get a hold of.

Try another zip code. Either Aurora 80516 or Longmont 80501. Whichever has the same lineup. It seems that they are the only two that Tivo has been working on.
post #3850 of 4033 Old 06-05-2010, 06:37 PM

I'm in the Northglenn/Thornton area, using a TiVo HD -- no guide updates yet. Went through guided setup again using the Aurora zip, and can now tune the new HD channels, but still no program guide info. Anyone else up North having any luck?
post #3851 of 4033 Old 06-07-2010, 08:58 AM

Saw an ad on television this morning announcing Xfinity. I guess that means they are about done with the conversion. Now I just wish I knew when my area was due to have all the new HD channels. I had them start sending bill notices via email some time ago and now I never receive anything via snail mail from Comcast.
post #3852 of 4033 Old 06-07-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiesel View Post

Try another zip code. Either Aurora 80516 or Longmont 80501. Whichever has the same lineup. It seems that they are the only two that Tivo has been working on.

Didn't make any difference. Comcast came out and fixed the problem with a new cablecard. However, although I can view them there are a bunch of HD channels way up in high numbers that have no guide info.
post #3853 of 4033 Old 06-08-2010, 04:37 PM

Who all seems to have the HD channels now. I am curious to see how accurate the Comcast press release was today. Our analogs went away 3 weeks ago but the press release today said we were a few weeks away from the added HD
post #3854 of 4033 Old 06-08-2010, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Update on my M-I-L's digital conversion adventure. Exchanged STBs, per technical supports direction, at Wheatridge Comcast center on June 1. Replacement STB was a slightly different model than the original, but everything "upscale" had also been deactivated or blocked, including a set of component outputs. These boxes look like they were re-manufactured and de-contented in the process.

Anyway, hooked up the replacement STB that day. The good news was that the Guide actually showed up on the screen with this box, but other things weren't there yet. Made the activation phone call (third time the charm, maybe) per the notes provided by the Comcast person who did the STB exchange. Activation robo-message stated that activation had been initiated; however, near the end of the message there is a break in message that Comcast is having system problems and repairs will be done shortly. Nothing going on with the box so I call technical support and I get the message that Comcast is having system problems. I try to get to a tech support person, but the robo-phone just cuts off my call. I give up for that day.

Finally got back to my M-I-L's digital conversion yesterday (she was starting to panic as they were showing a message on her analog channels that analog would be shut off on 14 June). Seems the activation took place in my absence (probably initiated and completed after Comcast's system problems were resolved). All was working as described in the book. Guide is rather slow and clunky, but it will get you there if you are patient. Channel changing is also rather slow, but it gets it done. Bottom line, although the transition wasn't seamless or smooth it got done and M-I-L likes having a guide back and somewhat sharper PQ on her non-local channels.

Biggest problem now is getting M-I-L to smoothly transition back and forth from the Clear QAM tuner for her locals in HD to the Comcast STB for cable channels. That "Source" button on her Samsung remote is causing her no end of fear and trepidation. She also hasn't given up on watching her analog cable channels because she can't find some of her regular shows (i.e., Comcast uses some different channel numbers for certain cable outlets on digital versus analog; she doesn't know the channel names, she just memorized the analog numbers, so she is lost over in the digital guide). Things will get better when Comcast finally shuts off those analog channels and she is forced to deal with Comcast digital and local HD on Clear QAM.
post #3855 of 4033 Old 06-09-2010, 08:51 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiller80017 View Post

Who all seems to have the HD channels now. I am curious to see how accurate the Comcast press release was today. Our analogs went away 3 weeks ago but the press release today said we were a few weeks away from the added HD

Here in south Jeffco, half the expanded basic channels are still available in analog, while the other half have the lovely red screen. No new HD yet, obviously. Our system was the last to receive the "Rebuild" channel lineup several years ago, so it won't surprise me if we're the last to be converted in the Denver metro. (Our mailing address is Littleton, be we're in unincorporated Jefferson County, and I'm pretty sure our cable system is called the Jefferson County system, unless things changed since the Rebuild days.)

User error. Replace user.
post #3856 of 4033 Old 06-11-2010, 04:50 PM

I spoke with a Comcast CSR the other day who told me that at least around the Buckley AFB area the new channels will be on next Tuesday/Wednesday. It He even went as far to explain how some channels will be duplicated for awhile while the entire change takes place. Even if he didnt have entirely correct information, he at least understood what was going on which is more than some CSR's seem to know.
post #3857 of 4033 Old 06-11-2010, 07:34 PM

Hello Comcast Experts,

I'm currently a DirecTV & Qwest DSL subscriber, but contemplating making a move to Comcast. Comcast's new HD lineup appears to finally be competitive, and their Internet speeds have once again leap-frogged Qwest's.

A few questions before I place a call to Comcast:

- Is the expanded HD lineup available in Westminster? The website indicates it is on some pages, but shows the old lineup in other places.

- Is Comcast still over-compressing the national HD channels? I've seen their "old" HD offerings at a friend's house, and the locals looked fine, but the nationals appeared to pixelate with any sort of rapid motion.

- What can I expect to pay for a comprehensive HD lineup, HBO, Starz, 2 HD-DVR boxes, and the "Blast" 20 Mbps Internet service? (I have no desire for phone service, but if the triple play is cheaper, no harm having it.)

Thanks in advance!
post #3858 of 4033 Old 06-11-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikenski View Post

Hello Comcast Experts,

I'm currently a DirecTV & Qwest DSL subscriber, but contemplating making a move to Comcast. Comcast's new HD lineup appears to finally be competitive, and their Internet speeds have once again leap-frogged Qwest's.

A few questions before I place a call to Comcast:

- Is the expanded HD lineup available in Westminster? The website indicates it is on some pages, but shows the old lineup in other places.

- Is Comcast still over-compressing the national HD channels? I've seen their "old" HD offerings at a friend's house, and the locals looked fine, but the nationals appeared to pixelate with any sort of rapid motion.

- What can I expect to pay for a comprehensive HD lineup, HBO, Starz, 2 HD-DVR boxes, and the "Blast" 20 Mbps Internet service? (I have no desire for phone service, but if the triple play is cheaper, no harm having it.)

Thanks in advance!

I sent you a private message... please check your inbox
post #3859 of 4033 Old 06-14-2010, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a Tivo Premier with a MS cable card and Comcast HDTV servive. I can view the HD channels in the 700s and 800s but there is no guide data for them. No problems with the 600s. I've tried restarting/rescanning and rerunning guided setup but cannot get guide data. Its been over a week since the CC was installed. What am I missing in not being able to get guide data?
post #3860 of 4033 Old 06-14-2010, 08:08 PM

I am out in Brighton. I read through this thread and I'm a bit confused. It seems to me like some folks are saying that they're able to tune FSN Rocky Mountain (channel 26) without the Comcast DTA box. Is that true?

I just set up Windows Media Center on my laptop and it doesn't seem able to tune 26.
post #3861 of 4033 Old 06-14-2010, 08:28 PM

if its of any interest to anyone, i just spoke with a rep and the new expanded lineup is scheduled for the 80206 area on July 14

sorry if this has already been covered.
post #3862 of 4033 Old 06-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

I have a Tivo Premier with a MS cable card and Comcast HDTV servive. I can view the HD channels in the 700s and 800s but there is no guide data for them. No problems with the 600s. I've tried restarting/rescanning and rerunning guided setup but cannot get guide data. Its been over a week since the CC was installed. What am I missing in not being able to get guide data?

Nothing as far as we know. I've been without guide data for over a month. There was a 1 to 2 day period a couple weeks ago where I had the guide data, but it then disappeared and I haven't had guide data for the newly added HD channels. 'To be announced' is my new favorite series

After seeing all the various current HD providers, I really, really miss Voom
post #3863 of 4033 Old 06-15-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frottage View Post

Nothing as far as we know. I've been without guide data for over a month. There was a 1 to 2 day period a couple weeks ago where I had the guide data, but it then disappeared and I haven't had guide data for the newly added HD channels. 'To be announced' is my new favorite series

What zip are you using? I have had tickets open with both Comcast and Tivo and it seems to have been resolved. It took about a month. If your lineup is similar you can use either 80501 or 80516. There are two different lineups. Check them out on zap2it and see which one is your lineup.
post #3864 of 4033 Old 06-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What zip are you using? I have had tickets open with both Comcast and Tivo and it seems to have been resolved. It took about a month. If your lineup is similar you can use either 80501 or 80516. There are two different lineups. Check them out on zap2it and see which one is your lineup.

My real zip is 80134. I believe I tried the 80516 zip based on the suggestions here and while I get listings for all the SD channels and the "older" 600 to 700 HD channel block, any of the newer HD channels in the 700+ range still show "To be announced"...perhaps it's time to open a ticket with tivo.

post #3865 of 4033 Old 06-15-2010, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwad666 View Post

if its of any interest to anyone, i just spoke with a rep and the new expanded lineup is scheduled for the 80206 area on July 14

sorry if this has already been covered.

That kind of sucks. I'm inferring from previous posts that the Highlands Ranch area will be one of the last to receive the new lineup, and thought that would be around June 21. This suggests it will be probably a month later. I could certainly be wrong - and I hope that I am.
post #3866 of 4033 Old 06-15-2010, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My real zip is 80134. I believe I tried the 80516 zip based on the suggestions here and while I get listings for all the SD channels and the "older" 600 to 700 HD channel block, any of the newer HD channels in the 700+ range still show "To be announced"...perhaps it's time to open a ticket with tivo.

Same here. My actual zip is 80026 (Lafayette) and I tried 80501 (Longmont?) as aldiesel suggested a page or two back but it still didn't provide guide infor for the 700s and 800s.
post #3867 of 4033 Old 06-15-2010, 02:22 PM

I am in 80504 Firestone. I have re-run guided setup for 80516 and I get guide data, though it is the wrong channel lineup. I just re-ran guided setup for both 80501 and 80504 and am getting guide data. That is strange that the posts above are not getting guide data. When you run guided setup for 80516 you need to choose Aurora digital rebuild.
post #3868 of 4033 Old 06-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am in 80504 Firestone. I have re-run guided setup for 80516 and I get guide data, though it is the wrong channel lineup. I just re-ran guided setup for both 80501 and 80504 and am getting guide data. That is strange that the posts above are not getting guide data. When you run guided setup for 80516 you need to choose Aurora digital rebuild.

Maybe that is the problem....my only choices are (1)comcast and (2)comcast suburbs (tried both 80516 and 80504). There is no Aurora digital rebuild choice.

post #3869 of 4033 Old 06-16-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:

Maybe that is the problem....my only choices are (1)comcast and (2)comcast suburbs (tried both 80516 and 80504). There is no Aurora digital rebuild choice.

Try 80516 and choose suburbs. I think it gives you a choice after that for the rebuild.
post #3870 of 4033 Old 06-16-2010, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Why should we even have to go through these gyrations? Is it really that hard for Comcast to provide accurate guide information to its paying subscribers?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page