Denver, CO - Comcast - Page 133 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3961 of 4033 Old 09-22-2010, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Our DCT3416 DVR received the new A28 I-Guide software this morning shortly after 2AM.

User error. Replace user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 4033 Old 09-22-2010, 06:59 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmth View Post

Our DCT3416 DVR received the new A28 I-Guide software this morning shortly after 2AM.

Got it too, like it so far. Hopefully myDVR will how up on my phone soon.
post #3963 of 4033 Old 09-23-2010, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I live in Littleton Co. and have Comcast cable. I have a HDDVR upstairs and a HDDVR downtairs in my theater. The one downstairs is a new model although I don't have the specs with me (at work). My cable comes in from outside and from what I can see goes downstairs to a junction box (looks like a circuit panel but white) the main cable goes into a splitter and then to the rest of the house as well as my theater. When I watch a Blu ray movie in my theater the picture is sharp and vivid, but when I watch TV programs they aren't as sharp. Now I am talking about local broadcasts such as Monday Night Football and the Tonight Show, programs that should look pretty good. Is there a way to test signal strength, or is this not going to help with this problem. I have been told that Comcast does not compress the local channels so I should get a pretty good picture from these channels, correct?

Thanks
post #3964 of 4033 Old 09-23-2010, 06:11 PM

I am also in 80016 and have had the "upgrade" for sometime now.
Are you using the 700 series channel numbers, the 600 or the 000?
I get KCNC (CBS) on 004 (analog) 654 (digital) and 704 (HD).
All my HD channels tune in up in the 700 series.
post #3965 of 4033 Old 09-23-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay5298 View Post

I live in Littleton Co. and have Comcast cable. I have a HDDVR upstairs and a HDDVR downtairs in my theater. The one downstairs is a new model although I don't have the specs with me (at work). My cable comes in from outside and from what I can see goes downstairs to a junction box (looks like a circuit panel but white) the main cable goes into a splitter and then to the rest of the house as well as my theater. When I watch a Blu ray movie in my theater the picture is sharp and vivid, but when I watch TV programs they aren't as sharp. Now I am talking about local broadcasts such as Monday Night Football and the Tonight Show, programs that should look pretty good. Is there a way to test signal strength, or is this not going to help with this problem. I have been told that Comcast does not compress the local channels so I should get a pretty good picture from these channels, correct?

Thanks

It's a digital signal, if you had signal strength issues you would get stuttering playback, dropouts, and pixelation issues. What you are noticing is the compression comcast applies to the signals to conserve bandwidth and stuff more qvc's down the same line.

I'm pretty sure even the locals are compressed, but there have been discussions about compression "materially degrading" the signal and thus being for forbidden (by whom I'm not sure)

Try hooking up an antenna and see if ota looks better.

Regardless, it will never look as good as BD
post #3966 of 4033 Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwad666 View Post

It's a digital signal, if you had signal strength issues you would get stuttering playback, dropouts, and pixelation issues. What you are noticing is the compression comcast applies to the signals to conserve bandwidth and stuff more qvc's down the same line.

I'm pretty sure even the locals are compressed, but there have been discussions about compression "materially degrading" the signal and thus being for forbidden (by whom I'm not sure)

Try hooking up an antenna and see if ota looks better.

Regardless, it will never look as good as BD

Thanks, I will try and hook up an antenna and see if I can notice a difference. I should have done that before I finished the basement, oh well.
post #3967 of 4033 Old 09-24-2010, 01:51 PM

One more quick question. What type of antenna should I use? They installed a new tower on look out mountain a while back so I'm wondering if I need to point my antenna at that source. My attick is on the other side of the house that faces that direction which will be difficult to run a cable to my basement.
Thanks
post #3968 of 4033 Old 09-26-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay5298 View Post

One more quick question. What type of antenna should I use? They installed a new tower on look out mountain a while back so I'm wondering if I need to point my antenna at that source. My attick is on the other side of the house that faces that direction which will be difficult to run a cable to my basement.
Thanks

check out http://antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx for the antenna type and the direction signals are coming from. chances are an omni-directional antenna would catch tons of signal if you are near the metro area.

since you are just testing it out, do what i did and build your own (BYO)

fancy kind: http://www.tvantennaplans.com/
fast and easy kind:http://members.shaw.ca/hdtvantenna/

i did the fast and easy one (using a shoebox, coat-hanger, and tin foil for the reflector) and can get all but KUSA with no dropouts (i live near rose medical center, in a tall building, and face lookout).

if you are super close to the antenna, you may actaully get too much signal, in which case build your antenna crappier, try a longer coax cable, or get an antennuator.
post #3969 of 4033 Old 09-29-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaybee View Post

So I currently am a DirecTV customer. But the advent of the new Ceton 4 tuner cable tuner card has me considering a switch to Comcast. I am just SW of Longmont and Comcast serves my area. It seems that if the cable co is using SDV then in addition to a cablecard you need one or more tuning adapters to use the Ceton tuner. Does anyone know if Longmont Comcast is using SDV?

Thanks in advance

I'm in that area, but am serviced by "Boulder digital" Comcast. I was the first person to install the Ceton tuner, according to the tech. It's a beautiful thing. Clear-QAM was no fun, compared to CableCard. I think our subscription is one level higher than basic, no HD, no premium channels. We get a crappy free set top box with analog out, but don't use it. However, we now get a LOT of HD channels, probably due to using CableCard with an HTPC (running Windows Media Center). There's no SDV in the near future, as far as I can tell. They just got finished with transitioning completely away from digital, and that consumed a lot of customer communications and truck rolls.
I hope that helps.
post #3970 of 4033 Old 10-06-2010, 05:28 AM

Longmont, Firestone, and Frederick area on the Comcast website states that we should be getting these channels but they are not showing up on either the Comcast box or a Tivo HD. Any one experiencing the same thing?
post #3971 of 4033 Old 10-28-2010, 11:11 AM

I see that Comcast is picking up Altitude 2 games in HD, finally. Saturday's Avs/Jackets game is listed in the guide on channel 664.

post #3972 of 4033 Old 01-13-2011, 02:11 PM

Is this tread officially dead? I would think there would be something to discuss regarding Comcast in Denver....

I am looking for the latest on Comcast DVR technology in the Denver area. I had read somewhere that we should now have the ability to record on one box and watch that recoding on another one. If true, then I would assume there must be a new box available.

I currently have a few DCH3416 boxes. Can someone provide an update as to weather or not there are new boxes available that provide something other than maby more disk space?

Thanks!
post #3973 of 4033 Old 01-19-2011, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

It's almost dead because there isn't much more with respect to additional HD channels, which has been one of the biggest issues. The QAM discussion has also subsided; most people may have accepted the fact that Comcast is scrambling most non-OTA HD channels, and I think the QAM channels have stopped moving around as much as they were earlier.

As far as cable boxes, the DCX boxes do have additional storage capability (I think mine is 250 GB). There are threads that talk specifically about the DCX boxes.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=19816058
post #3974 of 4033 Old 01-21-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkelley View Post

Is this tread officially dead? I would think there would be something to discuss regarding Comcast in Denver....

I am looking for the latest on Comcast DVR technology in the Denver area. I had read somewhere that we should now have the ability to record on one box and watch that recoding on another one. If true, then I would assume there must be a new box available.

I currently have a few DCH3416 boxes. Can someone provide an update as to weather or not there are new boxes available that provide something other than maby more disk space?

Thanks!

I don't know if it's available yet in Denver, but Comcast does offer "AnyRoom DVR" service in some parts of the country, using the DCX3400-M for the server box and the DCX3200-M for each client. The server is a dual-tuner DVR with a 500GB hard drive, while each client is a regular HD set-top with no DVR function or hard drive. You are only allowed one DVR, so if you want more than two tuners you have to use normal DVR's without the multi-room feature (this is a major limitation of Comcast's multi-room solution, a deal-breaker for some people).

post #3975 of 4033 Old 01-25-2011, 09:30 AM

So let me get this straight. Are there now QAM channels on Comcast? I haven't searched since the changeover to digital. I live in Golden,CO. Also, would that mean that I would just plug the cable into the back of a unit with a QAM tuner and do a channel scan?
post #3976 of 4033 Old 01-25-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakon View Post

I think the QAM channels have stopped moving around as much as they were earlier. [/url]

So let me get this straight. Are there now QAM channels on Comcast? I haven't searched since the changeover to digital. I live in Golden,CO. Also, would that mean that I would just plug the cable into the back of a unit with a QAM tuner and do a channel scan?
post #3977 of 4033 Old 01-25-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

There have always been QAM channels on Comcast (OK, maybe not always, but for the past 4-5 years for me in HR - before the transition to digital). Yes, just plug the cable from the wall and do a digital channel scan. However, there are not that many clear QAM (unscrambled) HD channels. Just the locals plus a few more.
post #3978 of 4033 Old 02-02-2011, 12:23 PM

Deleted
post #3979 of 4033 Old 02-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Comcast has been slowly raising their prices. Time to call and threaten to give them the boot.
post #3980 of 4033 Old 02-13-2011, 07:51 PM

Does anyone else find it annoying that the prime time shows on the major Denver networks always start 1 to 1 1/2 minutes early, but the programming guide shows the rhetorical start time.

For example the first show on CBS, ABC and NBC (in Denver) start around 6:58 and end at 7:28.

When I use my DVR to record the shows, I loose the first 2 minutes unless I remember to use the option to start the recording early. When I record consecutive shows, the beginning of show 2 is at the end of show 1, the beginning of show 3 is at the end of show 2. I find this annoying.

Why do they do this? It has been going on since I have lived in Denver (15 years). Fox the CW manage to start on time. Other Mountain Time Zone Markets (Albuquerque NM) start all their show on time.
post #3981 of 4033 Old 02-16-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoWizard View Post

Does anyone else find it annoying that the prime time shows on the major Denver networks always start 1 to 1 1/2 minutes early, but the programming guide shows the rhetorical start time.

For example the first show on CBS, ABC and NBC (in Denver) start around 6:58 and end at 7:28.

When I use my DVR to record the shows, I loose the first 2 minutes unless I remember to use the option to start the recording early. When I record consecutive shows, the beginning of show 2 is at the end of show 1, the beginning of show 3 is at the end of show 2. I find this annoying.

Why do they do this? It has been going on since I have lived in Denver (15 years). Fox the CW manage to start on time. Other Mountain Time Zone Markets (Albuquerque NM) start all their show on time.

It started a number of years ago (don't remember when exactly). One of the three networks decided to begin prime time shows early, as a means to get more ratings by having programming a minute or two before the others (so channel surfers would stop on their network when trying to find something to watch). Shortly after they started doing this, the other networks followed suit as a counter move. It's been that way ever since.

And yes, it is annoying, especially since these DVR's don't have the option to end recordings early (unless you do a manual record). Adding padding to the start of every prime time recording will cause scheduling conflicts, and though these boses will clip shows to resolve conflicts, the clipping is always at the beginning, not at the end.

post #3982 of 4033 Old 03-14-2011, 02:07 PM
J\V

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmth View Post

I don't know if it's available yet in Denver, but Comcast does offer "AnyRoom DVR" service in some parts of the country, using the DCX3400-M for the server box and the DCX3200-M for each client. The server is a dual-tuner DVR with a 500GB hard drive, while each client is a regular HD set-top with no DVR function or hard drive. You are only allowed one DVR, so if you want more than two tuners you have to use normal DVR's without the multi-room feature (this is a major limitation of Comcast's multi-room solution, a deal-breaker for some people).

So, does anyone have any information implementation in Denver on the AnyRoom or Pace set top DVR, new guide, etc.? Information seems very hard to find, and Comcast customer service reps know little (ahem)...

My $0.02 in a world where pennies are obsolete...

Sony KDL-60NX810 | Denon 3805 | Polk RTi8+CSi5+PSW505

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3983 of 4033 Old 03-15-2011, 11:17 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by J\\V View Post

So, does anyone have any information implementation in Denver on the AnyRoom or Pace set top DVR, new guide, etc.? Information seems very hard to find, and Comcast customer service reps know little (ahem)...

I'm a Comcast employee in Denver. We have launched the anyroom DVR here! The price is $19.99/mo. for the actual 2 tuner (500gb) DVR and then each additional HD box is $8/mo.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Thanks!
post #3984 of 4033 Old 03-16-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover408 View Post

I'm a Comcast employee in Denver. We have launched the anyroom DVR here! The price is $19.99/mo. for the actual 2 tuner (500gb) DVR and then each additional HD box is $8/mo.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

Wow, $28 a month just for 2 DVRs? That's ridiculous!!

Can't wait until FIOS is available...
post #3985 of 4033 Old 03-16-2011, 12:44 PM

You don't get two DVRs for $28 per month. The additional $8 per month is for a non-DVR. Also, in the past, the second and additional boxes of any kind cost $7 per month more than the first. So, two DVRs are likely to cost $47 per month not counting sales tax or programming charges. Also, unlike DirecTV, two DVRs cannot share recordings.
post #3986 of 4033 Old 03-16-2011, 12:51 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh99 View Post

You don't get two DVRs for $28 per month. The additional $8 per month is for a non-DVR. Also, in the past, the second and additional boxes of any kind cost $7 per month more than the first. So, two DVRs are likely to cost $47 per month not counting sales tax or programming charges. Also, unlike DirecTV, two DVRs cannot share recordings.

If you want MRV, you cannot have more than the 1 main DVR. If you do not want MRV, then each HD DVR runs $15.95/mo (so 2 HD DVRS would run $31.20). There are NO additional HD programming charges (unlike DirecTV). You get all your channels on all your HD boxes. As well as HD onDemand for no extra charge. Satellite can't touch the amount of HD content that we have at Comcast.
post #3987 of 4033 Old 03-16-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:

If you want MRV, you cannot have more than the 1 main DVR. If you do not want MRV, then each HD DVR runs $15.95/mo (so 2 HD DVRS would run $31.20). There are NO additional HD programming charges (unlike DirecTV). You get all your channels on all your HD boxes. As well as HD onDemand for no extra charge. Satellite can't touch the amount of HD content that we have at Comcast.

So basically what you're saying is if you want HD in multiple rooms you get reamed a new one no matter which option you choose.

What cable companies and probably satellite companies as well seem to fail to understand is that HD is now normal TV. It isn't anything special anymore, it is what almost every channel now broadcasts in. You can get the local HD channels FOR FREE over the air. That we have to pay some sort of premium to watch HD over cable, satellite or whatever is absurd!
post #3988 of 4033 Old 03-17-2011, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+ $70 installation. On the OK side, it's only $4 more than I pay now. On the minus side, you can't fast forward or rewind on the remote box.

Seriously - what does "HD onDemand for no extra charge" mean? I assume it means that I will pay the same for HD onDemand movies as I do for SD movies. If it's not that, what is it?

Thanks, raffin. Now you got me thinking about all of the things that bug me about Comcast.
post #3989 of 4033 Old 03-18-2011, 09:40 AM

Take a look at SageTV. I have Comcast DVRs at two primary viewing areas and stream a third HD comcast box to various other areas in full HD. Each set requires $150 SageTV HD300 box but that is it no additional monthly fees.

The reason I keep my primary sets with dedicated Comcast boxes is for WAF and channel surfing is slow with Sage.

BTW, you can also stream movies, music, etc to these boxes. Absoutely love it and don't get stung by huge Comcast bills...
post #3990 of 4033 Old 03-24-2011, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sheeshh, not to get complacent with the horrid Comcast service in Denver, let's not forget:

1) STILL no Tennis Channel available via Comcast in Denver. This is 100% inexcusable. Six years of waiting and still nothing.

2) STILL no BBC America HD. They carry the SD, what could be so hard about adding the HD? Comparatively, there are so many awful SD and HD channels I would never watch, it's ridiculous.

3) STILL no firmware fix to the Motorola 3400 STB's for the firewire port. This is just sheer anti-consumer nonsense.

4) STILL no firmware fixes for these hideously buggy cables boxes. They freeze/crash, don't always record when programmed to do so, rewind/fast forward with insanely annoying inaccuracy, and that's even with new ones, not refurbs that got drop kicked out some other customer's window.

Even with the unresponsive cable monopoly in this town, I still don't see satellite as being any better. Both companies have their own set of quirks that keep me away every time I look at them again when I've had it with Comcast.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page