Denver, CO - Comcast - Page 135 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4021 of 4033 Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
According to Zap2It, HBO Comedy, ActionMax, ThrillerMax and WomanMax HD have been removed.

Added has been GSN HD, NatGeo Wild HD, Sportsman Channel HD, Ovation HD, TV Guide Network HD, Bloomberg HD, IndiePlex HD and RetroPlex HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4022 of 4033 Old 10-15-2013, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I woke up this morning to find that Comcast is now encrypting all local OTA channels here in Indian Hills (80454). Anyone else find this?
post #4023 of 4033 Old 10-15-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I thought Comcast has been encrypting all channels since they went all-digital in the Denver area a year or more ago.
post #4024 of 4033 Old 10-15-2013, 04:29 PM

I'm having the same issue in Castle Rock. I'm on the Blast+ plan which should include limited basic cable with my internet connection. My coax is connected directly to my TV using its tuner. All channels are showing scrambled. Doing a scan now to see if they have been moved.
post #4025 of 4033 Old 10-15-2013, 05:36 PM

I'm in Littleton and I received a letter last month explaining what was happening (see attachment). I cancelled my Limited Basic cable because I don't want a cable box. I'm using a $15 antenna from Radio Shack and I feel lucky that it's working pretty well.
comcast-letter.pdf 168k .pdf file
post #4026 of 4033 Old 10-15-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphish View Post

I'm having the same issue in Castle Rock. I'm on the Blast+ plan which should include limited basic cable with my internet connection. My coax is connected directly to my TV using its tuner. All channels are showing scrambled. Doing a scan now to see if they have been moved.

I scanned too. Only getting a channel with an xfjnity message saying a box or cablecard device is now required.

At least the letter says they won't charge for 2 years. Does the box give on demand function? If not seems like a needless "upgrade".
post #4027 of 4033 Old 10-15-2013, 08:30 PM

Everything is encrypted in Louisville now. Just got off the phone with a Comcast agent, who confirmed that they flipped the switch here today.

I wonder how many customers they will lose over this. I guess none of the high-value ones, but in the long run I'm not sure they want to be in the business of chasing people away, given how many entertainment options there are.
post #4028 of 4033 Old 10-15-2013, 09:55 PM

Oh Comcast, how I despise thee. rolleyes.gif Dark in Golden too. The in-laws don't ever recall getting the letter that jquest07 attached, so naturally they awoke to no signal on their bedroom TV today. That's the final straw!!! mad.gif I'm getting my in-laws to switch over to satellite. You're just way more trouble than you're worth now. I will have to refuse to help them with any of their TV related questions until they switch. redface.gif

I thought these crooks had to pass the local OTA feeds through free and clear (ie, NOT encrypted...) as required by Federal LAW? Did something change, or have I just been mistaken about that all these years? (I thought that was part of the digital switch-over) confused.gif
post #4029 of 4033 Old 10-15-2013, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwad666 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphish View Post

I scanned too. Only getting a channel with an xfjnity message saying a box or cablecard device is now required.

At least the letter says they won't charge for 2 years. Does the box give on demand function? If not seems like a needless "upgrade".

They give you up to 2 extra regular cable boxes for free for 2 years, then charge you $1.99/month for each box. That's $24/year for each box. The guy who paid $15 for an antenna is saving $9 the first year, then $24 each year after. If my bedroom TVs had digital receivers, I'd buy antennas and drop the cable boxes, but they're old tube TVs. Maybe if I can find those cheap coupon digital tuners for $50 or less, I'd drop the boxes as the payback would be only 2 years and I bet regular old rabbit ears would work for my location.
post #4030 of 4033 Old 10-27-2013, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yep, I was out of town last week and the wife said the tv in our bedroom doesn't get channels. I re-scanned today and sure enough they cut off everything, bastards. I'm down in the springs. Will switch the one of the sat guys for tv service. This is absurd. I thought they were by law required to send local channels down the pipe.
post #4031 of 4033 Old 10-27-2013, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman76 View Post

Yep, I was out of town last week and the wife said the tv in our bedroom doesn't get channels. I re-scanned today and sure enough they cut off everything, bastards. I'm down in the springs. Will switch the one of the sat guys for tv service. This is absurd. I thought they were by law required to send local channels down the pipe.

They're allowed to encrypt now on an all-digital system. They fought for this right.

Even if the DTA's are required, they're cheaper than anything on the dishes. While you'll get all channels you subscribe to on the dishes, every box is an additional $6 on DirecTV.
post #4032 of 4033 Old 11-24-2013, 02:47 PM

Liked: 11
I am north of Longmont Colorado with Basic cable and I had to order the DTA from Comcast last month when they scrambled all my channels. So the little junk box is free for a couple of years and then I have to pay for this garbage? Thanks to the DTA:

1- My HD tv now only receives Standard Def
2- The same Wide screen tv now only receives 4:3 with the black bars or stretched picture
3- my DVR can only record the SAME station I am watching
4- If I want to record two differnt shows on different channels and different times I must be home to change the station
5- I can not delete the channels that I hate
6- I no longer receive the information on what I am watching like during a commercial I used to press the TV info button and I could see what the show was or what was coming up next etc
7- It is another remote control to have to deal with
8- The DTA is on all the time as a vampire power consumer

Are you freakin kidding me? This is the worst example of customer service I have ever seen. People talk about government crappy service? I wish the post office was running this or at least my town. After 25 years as a comcast customer I now have a roof antenna (not installed yet) and I CAN'T WAIT to call Comacast and tell them what to do with there "service". OTA on it's way.
jquest07 likes this.
post #4033 of 4033 Old 11-29-2013, 06:34 PM

Liked: 11
I cut the Comcast cable today. I did a mediocre installation of a RCA-ANT751R antenna in the attic. I am very happy. Receiving 21 channels that I want and many others that I deleted. Picture is crystal clear HD. All the problems in my post above are resovled and I get to keep hundreds of dollars in my pocket that Comcast used to get. In the spring I may move the antenna to the roof and install better cables. This should give me even more stations.

Wish I had done this long ago. What was the name of that cable company again?smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page