post #181 of 4033 Old 10-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by JKM
On Comcast INHD and INHD2 I often get no picture (or audio) but instead get a message something like "the program will arrive shortly..." But it never does. This seems to happen more often when the overlying graphic indicates a movie should be seen in progress, but happens on the national geographic stuff, too?

Anyone else with this problem, or an explanation?

That's never happened to me. I think the next time it happens you should call Comcast and they'll send a signal that will reset your box. If that doesn't work, I assume that you have a bad 5100.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4033 Old 10-09-2003, 12:31 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by gakon
The KMGH logo and ABC lineup are no longer on the Comcast web site. Hmmm...

I just viewed the html source for the comcast web page, and the KMGH information is still there but commented out. I guess we can hope they are still working on getting this into the lineup quickly. They don't have anything other interesting secrets in there, however.
post #183 of 4033 Old 10-09-2003, 12:56 PM

After seeing a similar post (on page 4 or 5 of this thread) I'm wondering how folks picture quality is on their HD channels. An earlier poster said they were having problems with INHD (1). I get lots of stuttering and pixilation on this channel. I'll get it once in a while on other channels, but I get it every 10 seconds or so. It's very consistent.

The earlier poster how had a similar problem was from Boulder. I'm from Boulder too and I'm wondering if this is a problem for us here.

I've had the service since 16 September and its been like this since the beginning. Is anyone else getting this? If so, where are you located? Maybe its a localized thing.

Thanks in advance.
post #184 of 4033 Old 10-09-2003, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Originally posted by LaVike

I've had the service since 16 September and its been like this since the beginning. Is anyone else getting this? If so, where are you located? Maybe its a localized thing.

Thanks in advance.

FWIW, I live in the So Parker area and have not had many problems. Occasionally, for a split second or so, I may get some minor pixelization or an audio dropout, but this occurs (maybe) once per hour, if that. It doesn't seem to be confined to one channel or another. Frankly, these problems seem to be much less frequent than with Dish.

I have always had a very good analog signal where I live; my signal strength is strong. I wonder if you're dealing with a borderline signal... Did the installation tech check the signal strength at the MOT 5100?

MiD
post #185 of 4033 Old 10-09-2003, 01:21 PM

I'll have to check on the signal strength. Will these guys come out and check it?
post #186 of 4033 Old 10-09-2003, 03:59 PM

LaVike,

I am the person in Boulder who was having problems with their INHD1 signal. It would pixelate every 5 seconds or so, and the sound would drop out at the same time. I was told that almost everybody in Boulder was having this problem. I have been working w/ Comcast to get this fixed since day 1. It took probably 45 phone calls, and 7 different techs coming out. Finally when I got home from work today, there was a Comcast tag on my door, saying my INHD 1 should be working now. I was very skeptical, since I have been trying to get it fixed for 3 weeks. To my suprise, the problem really had been fixed. I called the tech, and he told me that it was in fact a head end issue. They basically knew this since day 1, but had to jump through all kinds of hoops for 3 weeks to get the guys at head end to admit the problem was theirs, and fix the problem. So, check your INHD 1 today. If mine was fixed due to a repair at the head end, logic tells me that yours should be fixed as well. As a bonus, now I am receiving Showtime HD, before I only got HBO.

Brett
post #187 of 4033 Old 10-09-2003, 09:05 PM

Yep. Those of you that have the hd package that gives you HBO HD on 651, will get Showtime HD on 650. It is also now listed on the comcast web site, so they must have snuck it in while HDJello wasn't looking at the html source code.
Well, it's not the network that I wanted, but at least it's something.
post #188 of 4033 Old 10-10-2003, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just posting a note on how nice it is to finally have the high definition channels. I worked late and got home last night around 4 AM. I turned on the TV and watched part of A River Runs Through It in high def. Wow the picture was great, and it is one of my favorite movies. It is amazing how clear the picture is...

Jeff
post #189 of 4033 Old 10-11-2003, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by nu2this
Yep. Those of you that have the hd package that gives you HBO HD on 651, will get Showtime HD on 650. It is also now listed on the comcast web site, so they must have snuck it in while HDJello wasn't looking at the html source code.
Well, it's not the network that I wanted, but at least it's something.

Any idea on why us HBO subscribers are now getting Showtime? I verified it last night, but I never received any notification of a temporary free trial. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to get an additional HD movie channel.

Tim
post #190 of 4033 Old 10-11-2003, 10:48 AM

Tim, I don't know. Maybe it has something to do with people complaining to them about the lack of HD programing. I'm not really naive enough to think that my letter had much to do with such a huge corporate decision, (you can read my ranting and their response is on page 9.) but it's nice to pretend that Comcast actually listens to their customers.
post #191 of 4033 Old 10-11-2003, 10:32 PM

I have only the most basic package and a 5100 which means I should only get the local stations in HD but a couple days ago coincident with the pixellation problems clearing up, I started getting all of the Comcast HD programming. Just a guess on my part, but I think the pixellation problem in Boulder was probably caused by whatever hardware they were using to control who got what parts of the HD package. They probably took the hardware (or software) package off the feed to clear it up and voila - the whole deal. I would also bet that they are looking for a fix while we sleep. I shall enjoy it while it lasts.
Happ
post #192 of 4033 Old 10-12-2003, 10:59 AM

I am also setup for the basic package with the 5100 and when the Comcast technician came out to install it last week he got it setup so that I would get inHD, inHD2, and ESPN-HD along with the locals. Then I noticed on Wednesday that they were gone, so I called CS and they said that many people were compaining about that and tried to reset it from their. When I got up the next morning everything was back again, and now I realized on Friday evening that we have Showtime and HBO HD as well!

From how I read the information on the new HD package we are supposed to get everything that they offer in HD (inHD, inHD2, ESPN-HD, and locals) at least until the end of the year. I didn't think that included HBO and Showtime, but hey I'm not complaining!

The one that I have learned over the last week with the 5100 reciever is how spoiled I am with the Dish receivers and the online guides. The guide on the 5100 sucks, it is the hardest guide to use that I have ever seen! I would have expected much better from TV Guide and Motorola.
post #193 of 4033 Old 10-12-2003, 06:19 PM

[
The one that I have learned over the last week with the 5100 reciever is how spoiled I am with the Dish receivers and the online guides. The guide on the 5100 sucks, it is the hardest guide to use that I have ever seen! I would have expected much better from TV Guide and Motorola. [/b][/quote]

Same here- It's terrible
Happ14
post #194 of 4033 Old 10-12-2003, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by b5lurker
The one that I have learned over the last week with the 5100 reciever is how spoiled I am with the Dish receivers and the online guides. The guide on the 5100 sucks, it is the hardest guide to use that I have ever seen! I would have expected much better from TV Guide and Motorola.

Wow -- the 5100 is worse than Dish receivers? I didn't even know that was possible. (I have an ExpressVu [Dish Network rebranded] receiver -- worst piece of garbage I've ever used)

You are indeed a wise man! - TotallyPreWired
post #195 of 4033 Old 10-13-2003, 07:17 AM

Brett,
I finally rechecked INHD and the pixilation problems are gone. Thanks for sending all the letters. I'm also getting the "full" lineup of HD channels.
post #196 of 4033 Old 10-13-2003, 07:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

What channel numbers are the local HD channels?

Mark Lamutt
www.DBSTalk.Com - A Proud Member of the AVS Community
post #197 of 4033 Old 10-13-2003, 08:57 AM

I am in Boulder, and when I started service about two weeks ago the Comcast person told me they were running a special until the end of the year where if I moved to Digital Cable (which he had to do to get my HD signal working) that I would get HBO and Showtime free until the end of the year. So maybe they just figure they can put everyone on that plan as well for the time being.

I have also had my INHD signal problems fixed, I'm glad to the member who complained so much to get them to fix the head-end problem.
post #198 of 4033 Old 10-13-2003, 09:07 AM

Currently I have Comcast HD, but since they are not broadcasting CBS (CSI) or most Broncos games (CBS and ABC), I am wondering about getting those channels over the air in addition to my Comcast signal. Unfortunately, I am in Boulder (Foothills and Arapahoe), and I'm not sure that I will be able to get any of the downtown Denver broadcasts. Has anyone had luck pulling those in to Boulder?

Also, when the lookout mountain broadcasts start, will I be able to receive those in Boulder? Any information (sites, threads) on the lookup mountain rollouts?

Thanks,
Josh
post #199 of 4033 Old 10-13-2003, 10:34 AM
JKM

Two diff. CSRs at Comcast assured me I'd get HBO-HD and SHW-HD if I signed up for HD. But the installers said no, not w/o buying the premium channels. Then just last week, w/o warning or explanation, I too began getting these 2 HD channels, just like I was promised when I signed up.

Now how about the promised ABC...........
post #200 of 4033 Old 10-13-2003, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

chamelion - try this thread for Lookout Mountain reception information:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=28456
post #201 of 4033 Old 10-14-2003, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Hi,

I called Comcast day before yesterday asking the possibility for ordering PPV by the remote. The answer is it will be enabled by 13th (yesterday). Is there anyone getting it now? What's the story?

Xiaoyu,
post #202 of 4033 Old 10-14-2003, 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by markdl
What channel numbers are the local HD channels?

Mark,

Here is the current Comcast HD lineup:
650 - Showtime East HD
651 - HBO East HD
653 - KUSA
655 - KDVR
658 - KRMA
664 - INHD
667 - INHD
668 - ESPN-HD

Steve
post #203 of 4033 Old 10-15-2003, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Hi,

There is a wide black border around the whole picture on the Showtime. Does anyone see it, but why?

Xiaoyu,
post #204 of 4033 Old 10-15-2003, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

xiaoyu,

It may have been the particular program.

Or if you have a 720p display maybe the install tech did not set the Motorola cable box up correctly.

To switch the Motorola to display 720p you need to access the cable box's service menu:

From the ON position hit the "power" and then "menu" buttons.
A black and white service menu will appear.
Select output 720p
Select 4:3 override to Off
To exit the menu turn the cable box off

Hope this helps,

Jeff
post #205 of 4033 Old 10-16-2003, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your response. My box has been set on the 720p, but the 4:3 overide is on. I don't really understand what is this overide mean. Can you explain more? All the HBO works OK. Only the Showtime.

Xiaoyu,
post #206 of 4033 Old 10-17-2003, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Got a flyer from Comcast offering Cinemax or HBO for free for three months. So now I get HBO HD, SHO HD, and Skinemax (SD) for free (don't know how long the first two will last). I still miss MNF, but I'll give Comcast a break for a little while. When I called to get Cinemax, I asked the usual question, and got the usual answer: "We have no schedule for the addition of any more HD channels". Disappointing.
post #207 of 4033 Old 10-21-2003, 10:41 AM

I don't know how many of you saw this article in the New York Times yesterday, but it gives some insight on why we don't have CBS and ABC on Denver's cable system.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/20/bu...20comcast.html

It appears that the networks and/or the stations are not the only ones playing hardball and refusing to let Comcast carry their signal. Comcast is now so powerful, they are apparently being just as obstinate in coming to some sort of agreement.

I, too, was thinking Comcast was doing it's best to get both HDTV signals on their system and that the stations were being unreasonable. This article pretty much shoots down that theory.

It could be a LONG time before we see CBS and ABC.

John in Jeffco
post #208 of 4033 Old 10-21-2003, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

This NY Times article doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know before about Comcast. And it doesn't say anything about negotiations for the CBS O&O's HD signals being carried by Comcast.

I don't know why your ABC isn't carried by Comcast-- it is carried in just about every Comcast system regardless of whether the station is owned by ABC or an independent broadcasting group. So that is a local issue-- you should find out who owns your local ABC and contact them for their version of why you aren't getting ABC HD via Comcast. (I can tell you that it is not owned by Disney/ABC.)

As to CBS, this is a different situation. Your CBS along with 16 others are owned and operated by Viacom/CBS, which is refusing to give Comcast permission to carry these 17 stations' HD signals. Viacom won't give Comcast that permission until Comcast agrees to renegotiate agreements regarding all of Viacom's other channels-- CBS analog, UPN, MTV and all its digital versions, Nickleodeon and all its digital versions, etc.

I don't think Comcast is going to capitulate to Viacom's renegotiation demands on all these different networks at the drop of a hat just so it can get carriage of HD signals-- if CBS is going to take this aggressive/unyielding position, it is going to take a long time to work out all the details of new carriage contracts on all of these Viacom broadcast and cable channels.

Bear in mind two things regarding CBS HD carriage over Comcast: (1) Comcast has entered into HD/digital carriage deals with relatively little problem for the O&O stations for ABC, NBC, Fox (ED now, HD in fall 2004) and PBS as well as many independently owned stations for these networks; and (2) Comcast has entered into HD/digital carriage deals with no problem for the local CBS stations which are NOT owned by Viacom.

So CBS/Viacom has taken a negotiating position about its O&O's HD signals which was not taken by ABC, NBC, Fox, PBS or by the independently owned CBS stations.

The one thing that will push Viacom-Comcast negotiations to a head by early January 2004: The 2004 Super Bowl is on CBS. You have to believe that Comcast is eager to get carriage of CBS HD in time for the Super Bowl-- but not so eager that it is going to pay whatever Viacom wants for MTV and Nickleodeon.

Right now at least, Comcast offers HD locals at no cost above the cost of basic analog service ($5/mo. equipment charge for the 5100 STB). If Comcast simply caved into Viacom's demands, you can be sure a precedent would be set and we would all end up having to pay extra for HD locals.
post #209 of 4033 Old 10-21-2003, 02:55 PM

I am running directv and fox OTA through my sony hd-200, After talking to a comcast rep I was led to believe that I will not be able to access the HD programming from Comcast without purchasing or renting their decoder. Does any one know if there is any way to bypass their cable box and use a HD tuner like mine to grab the locals?

Sean
post #210 of 4033 Old 10-21-2003, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Please consider taking the following Denver cable poll, here at AVS:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=316317

-Tim
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List