Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 549 Old 02-14-2006, 01:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhankins View Post

Now we have to get the mechanism worked out to turn it on and off as we swap sources between 5.1 and 2/0. You'll probably notice stuff going on with our audio for the next few days while we sort it all out.
Lance

Noticed one commercial tonight without audio... (why am I watching live TV? oh its the Olympics of course... refraining from more sarcastic comments...)

Great that the 5.1 is working... the skate show tonight just doesn't drive the sub...

Cheers to KTUU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 549 Old 02-14-2006, 01:21 AM

sounds like an enjoyable weekend. We just got a whopping 2 inches in fairbanks.
post #363 of 549 Old 02-14-2006, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoWorm View Post

Noticed one commercial tonight without audio... (why am I watching live TV? oh its the Olympics of course... refraining from more sarcastic comments...)

Great that the 5.1 is working... the skate show tonight just doesn't drive the sub...

Cheers to KTUU!

Yeah, I caught the commercial without audio too. Actually there were 3 but only one was obvious. They were all Dept of Public Safety spots and I don't know if you noticed, but they were all 16:9 HD spots - the first local ones that have aired in Alaska. (BTW, they DID run with audio on Friday, Sat, and Sunday.) Well we are pretty sure we have that fixed today, so they should be OK tonight.

Keep watchin! We're trying really hard to get this together!
Lance

<")))>< <")))>< ><((("> <")))><
Lance Hankins
KTUU-HD
post #364 of 549 Old 02-14-2006, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodical View Post

sounds like an enjoyable weekend. We just got a whopping 2 inches in fairbanks.

Well, I don't know if "enjoyable" is exactly the word I'd use, but it was definitely an intersting, busy, stressful, expensive one.

Lance

Lance Hankins
KTUU-HD
post #365 of 549 Old 02-14-2006, 03:24 PM

Just in case anyone is watching us right now (1:30pm), we've got a crew up at Glen Alps doing the permanent repair on the microwave dish. THe digital signals are the first to go and they'll probably be on and off for an hour or so until the repair is completed and everything is tuned in again.
Lance

Lance Hankins
KTUU-HD
post #366 of 549 Old 02-14-2006, 04:41 PM

Work at Glen Alps is done now - 2:40pm. Everything should be stable until we see our next big wind anyway.
Lance

Lance Hankins
KTUU-HD
post #367 of 549 Old 02-14-2006, 05:10 PM

Lance,
Thanks for all the updates. It's good to have you on here. I don't suppose you can convince the other Anchorage station's engineers to sign up for the forum and contribute to the thread...??
post #368 of 549 Old 02-14-2006, 05:30 PM

I'll see what I can do.

Actually, I'm thinking about another plan... Maybe you all could let me know what you think of this.

How about a forum type web site here in Anchorage with sections for each of the stations, cable companies, satellite carriers, hardware, antennas, interference issues, etc. That way you wouldn't have to wade through all the posts looking for something about a particular station's issue. I think it'd be easier to get the other stations to participate. Maybe. It'd be better for us anyway. And if we promote it locally we'd probably be able to get a lot more participation.

Now I'm not thinking this'd be sponsored by the station. I'm thinking about doing it on my own.

So what do you think? Enough interest for me to try this?

If you want to email me directly, my address is hankins@clearwire.net.

Lance Hankins
KTUU-HD
post #369 of 549 Old 02-14-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:

How about a forum type web site here in Anchorage with sections for each of the stations, cable companies, satellite carriers, hardware, antennas, interference issues, etc. That way you wouldn't have to wade through all the posts looking for something about a particular station's issue. I think it'd be easier to get the other stations to participate. Maybe. It'd be better for us anyway. And if we promote it locally we'd probably be able to get a lot more participation.

Now I'm not thinking this'd be sponsored by the station. I'm thinking about doing it on my own.

So what do you think? Enough interest for me to try this?

Great idea...

It would be good to include the local TV stores and get them to promote the forum. Buy a TV, and here is a website to ask your questions.

Cheers
post #370 of 549 Old 02-14-2006, 07:47 PM

Yeah, I'd pay a visit if you set it up. Although, it's going to be hard to beat AVS forum's one-stop-shop for everything audio-video.
post #371 of 549 Old 02-14-2006, 09:22 PM

The idea would be to complenent this forum not take its place. There's a lot of great stuff here at AVS that I wouldn't even try to duplicate. I come here in the hardware forums all the time looking at what the best TVs, stb, home theater system is. But I think this place falls down a little at the local - what's happening in your town - level. Reading through a 13 page thread with 50topics in it isn't the easiest way to find anything out. So what I'm proposing would help organize that local information and make it available that might appeal to a wider audience than we are here (that'd be the Geek Squad).

And yeah, I'll probably try to enlist the local AV dealers for some banner ads and maybe some $$ to help support the board.

I'll start looking into it in earnest and see what I can do.
Lance

Lance Hankins
KTUU-HD
post #372 of 549 Old 02-14-2006, 09:56 PM

Sounds like a great idea, Lance. I'd be willing to help out setting up & contributing to the site.

Matt
post #373 of 549 Old 02-15-2006, 07:40 AM

You're right Lance, this forum can be a real pain to find something.

What are you going to name the site?
post #374 of 549 Old 02-15-2006, 04:10 PM

It'll be called AnchorageHD.TV and we're starting the process now. I'll let you know when we get closer to launch...

Lance

Lance Hankins
KTUU-HD
post #375 of 549 Old 02-15-2006, 04:19 PM

Back to the quality of the Olympic coverage for a minute. I found this on another board and cecked with NBC. They say it's true:

Quote:

The in-studio cameras are HD and many of the venues are actually 16:9 SD upconverted to HD. Here's a list of what's what:

HD Events:
Opening and Closing Ceremonies
Ice Hockey - Both Sites
Figure Skating
Short Track Speed Skating
Speed Skating
Ski Jumping
Aerials
Moguls

- Where the host broadcaster has elected to do SD coverage, mostly for difficulty in cabling issues and lack of availability of HD trucks in Europe, they will offer 16:9 SD coverage. NBC will upconvert the 16:9 SD to HD format.
SD Events:
Alpine Skiing
Nordic Skiing
Snowboarding
Bobsled
Luge
Curling
Biathlon

That will definitely have some impact ofn the quality of the signal, but I'm guessing most of us wouldn't notice it. While it's true that some things are being shot in SD, the quality of that SD is a lot higher than you might think. It converts to almost as good a picture as true HD would have been to begin with. However, you would see more pixelization because of the lower bit-rate capture as we dscussed before.

Overall, I've been pretty impressed with the whole thing. They're doing a pretty good job. I'm just haveing a tough time staying awake through all that figure skating/dancing...

Lance

Lance Hankins
KTUU-HD
post #376 of 549 Old 02-15-2006, 11:48 PM

Quote:

Back to the quality of the Olympic coverage for a minute.

but I'm guessing most of us wouldn't notice it. While it's true that some things are being shot in SD,

Lance

Thanks for the update... note to self... cancel eye doctor appointment...

HD quality aside... how much of the commentary is done from the trailer vs actually being at the event?

Cheers
post #377 of 549 Old 02-16-2006, 12:02 AM

I counted 22 cameras in use at the luge. I figured that there's no way they had 22 HD cameras available...
post #378 of 549 Old 02-16-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:

HD quality aside... how much of the commentary is done from the trailer vs actually being at the event?

Not 100% sure (now hedging on any info being given...) but I believe all the "expert commentators" are in studio. They do have folks at the actual events to talk to the competitors, but for the most part the commentators are seeing the exact same feed you and I see.

Having done about a bazillion remote events - from mushing to bball, soccer to news stuff - I have to tell you that commentating at the event has its pitfalls. When I used to work for another station here in town (a long time ago) we used to put the announcers at the start line for dog mushing. Worked OK but I still think it would have been just as good for them to have been in the studio. But at another station (in Boise) we did a lot of parades. For that you almost HAD to have the announcers on site or they couldn't see enough of what was going on to make semi-literate comments about it.

With an event like Skiing or biathlon where the course is long and there's nowhere (except the blimp) you can see the entire thing - it makes a LOT more sense to put them somewhere quiet with a good feed or 2 to watch that lets them actually evaluate what's going on.

My 2 cents.
Lance

Lance Hankins
KTUU-HD
post #379 of 549 Old 02-16-2006, 12:34 PM

Lance: Thanks for all of the hard work and great info!

I have a question on OTA pixelization that maybe you can shed some light on. I am a Dish subscriber with a 921 receiver and an Hitachi TV with an HD tuner. I installed a large roof top antenna - the deep fringe recommended antenna from Frigid (14 element IIRC). On channel 2 HD, the 921 pixelates every minute or so, but the TV is rock steady. KAKM HD is much more stable than 2.

I live 200' to the south of Klatt elementary school, which has a large metal roof directly between me and GB. The roof is about 15' higher than my antenna.

Also, channel 11 transmitter lies only 3 degrees off of the line between me and GB.

There is a radio transmitter about a mile away from me. Installing an FM trap helped, reducing the pixelization by about 1/2. I install a preamp, but that made the problem worse.

I am assuming that the problem is multipath, but don't know if the problem is the metal roof or channel 11.

Do you have any recommendations on improving the signal?
post #380 of 549 Old 02-16-2006, 01:31 PM

Jim,
I suspect your problem is more related to the Ch11 inline issue than multipath, but may be a little of both. The big issue with multipath is that refelcted signals arrive at the antenna out of phase with the direct sicnal and partially cancel the direct one. So a reflection from in front of you like the metal roof wouldn't provide a large difference in path length and therefore not much cancellation. Usually multipath is more a problem for significantl off-axis signals but not always. On an analog set multipath shows up as ghosting. In dtv it causes a hole in the freqency spectrum which the receiver may be able to compensate for if it's a newer model - 4th or 5th generation tuner. The early tuners were not very good with multipath and it didn't take a lot to cause them to display no signal.

The Ch11 problem is more likely to be the culprit. One thing we've noticed ove the last couple weeks is tha propogation in general has been changing. I'm guessing it has to do with a lot of weather factors like moisture content in the air, layers of significantly different temperatures, etc. and ice in the Knik Arm moving in and outwith the tide. At my place near the airport some nights I get very poor reception (and poor Clearwire internet service) while other nights everything is 5/5.

I wonder about hte Dish receiver. Maybe someone else has some experience with this stb that they could give us. If your TV tuner gets the signal solid, the stb should do the same with the same setup. Maybe it's actually older technology - an early generation tuner - and is more affected. Not sure.

Only way to tell if it's Ch11 or multipath that I know of is to put a spectrum analyser on the signal and look at it. That gives you a pretty graphic representation of what's up. I might be able to come out next week and take a look with you if you want. Call the station andask for me if you want to do that. We're still trying to get a good hadle on propogation here in town and I'd be willing to do that.

As for preamps - I haven't found one yet that works with the digital signsls reliably and gives you enough gain to do any good. I tried 3 or 4 different ones at my house and found that anything over 10db of gain trashed the signal completely. Critical antenna aiming was much more help than preamp gain.

Lance

Lance Hankins
KTUU-HD
post #381 of 549 Old 02-16-2006, 01:34 PM

Here's something I pulled off a trade mag site this morning - may be of interest to Nascar fans for this weekend:

Quote:

NBC Airs Nascar Daytona 500 in Hi-Def

John Consoli

FEBRUARY 15, 2006 -

NBC will air the 2006 Nascar Daytona 500 on Sunday, Feb. 19, in high definition, televising the action with 76 cameras, including 10 in-cars, from Daytona Speedway. The telecast will also feature a "crew-cam" helmut camera worn by a jack-man in Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s crew to capture pit stop actioon. NBC will also have a "squash-cam," a lipstick-sized camera buried in the grass in the oval that will give viewers the effect of being squashed by the race cars as they speed by.

NBC's coverage of the 48th running of the Daytona 500 will begin at 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, with a one hour Bank of America Countdown to the Green pre-race show, following by the race.

NBC will air Winter Olympics coverage before and after the race.

In 2004, the last time the race aired on NBC, which alternates coverage with Fox, the race was watched by 33.5 million viewers and posted a 10.6 national rating with a 24 share, according to Nielsen Media Research data.

The pre-race show will feature NBC Tonight Show host Jay Leno driving the pace car; Fergie of the group Black Eyed Peas singing the National Anthem, and a performance by rock band Bon Jovi.

Lance Hankins
KTUU-HD
post #382 of 549 Old 02-16-2006, 03:32 PM

Lance
Dish has a new HD receiver just out called the 622. It has MPEG4 capabilities that Dish is going to use for all future HD channels. I just read a post on dbstalk.com that reports the OTA tuner in the 622 does a better job of locking onto the signal than the 921 or 942. I'm going to upgrade to the 622, but not until April 1, as that is the date that Dish has set for customers that have the 921/942 to upgrade for $99.

I got the 921 on Dec 31, 2003, making me one of the very first 921 owners in the country. The 921 has always had stability problems and needs to be rebooted every 2 weeks or so. I bought the Hitachi TV 3 months before the 921, so the tuners are about the same age, but the Hitachi is definitely better.

So, if you are interested in seeing how the signal propagates, I am more than happy to let you see what it's like at my place. Otherwise, I think that I will wait for the 622 and see how it does. I don't think that anything could be done about it anyway. It's not like KTVA will move their antenna for me.
post #383 of 549 Old 02-16-2006, 05:46 PM

Jim,
OK. I wondered if your boxes might be older. those are probably 3rd gen receivers and all of those had issues if conditions aren't pretty close to perfect. My 4th gen LG receiver does a much better job. I'm currently waiting for my 5th gen USB box to show up. I plan to hook it to my laptop and do the PVR gig with it.

So let's wait til you get your new box in April. If you're still having problems at that point, I'll drag out the test equipment and we'll see what's up, OK?

Lance

Lance Hankins
KTUU-HD
post #384 of 549 Old 02-17-2006, 01:27 AM

At the open of the skating comp tonight they showed the commentators - set up at a desk at the top corner of the ice. There was a bank of monitors set up in front of them so they could see the feeds, but they could also look over them directly to the ice. Interesting stuff.

Lance

Lance Hankins
KTUU-HD
post #385 of 549 Old 02-17-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:

At the open of the skating comp tonight they showed the commentators - set up at a desk at the top corner of the ice. There was a bank of monitors set up in front of them so they could see the feeds, but they could also look over them directly to the ice. Interesting stuff.

Lance

I just wish those guys wouldn't tell you what is going to happen, but instead what just happened.

Quote:

What I should had asked, How much of the commentary is done live vs voice over in the cutting room?

In the snowboard half pipe, before Shaun White last run, the camera showed him at the top for a good 2 minutes while the announcers went into a long bio about him and that he was the last competitor to compete in the event, that all others were done. But, if you looked at his visor, you could see from the reflection that another competitor was completing their run and awaiting their score.

I guess in a perfect world we would have continuous coverage with a different channel for every venue. We could see all competitors in an event, instead of only the selected few.

Cheers
post #386 of 549 Old 02-17-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:

... But, if you looked at his visor, you could see from the reflection that another competitor was completing their run and awaiting their score.

I guess you could call that a "drawback" for broadcasters broadcasting in HD...it's much harder to fib... Something you probably wouldn't have noticed in SD.

HA!
post #387 of 549 Old 02-17-2006, 04:30 PM

Actually I'm pretty surprised that we haven't heard more this year from the Sports Nazis - sorry, FANS - demanding that all these events actually be shown live no matter what time of day they occur, since if it's pre-recorded it's a complete waste of time... (they have no real lives - just TV)

Lance

Lance Hankins
KTUU-HD
post #388 of 549 Old 02-20-2006, 03:56 PM

Looks like KTUU's HD feed is kaput. I was hoping to watch the women's hockey game for the gold, but 2.1 is showing standard def.

Laaaaaaance!!!!
post #389 of 549 Old 02-20-2006, 04:53 PM

Sorry, but here's the deal. We've discovered that due to the age of the HD server we use for delay, it won't do 5.1 audio. So until the Olympics are over we're keeping the system set up for the live 5.1 feeds. But that means that wehen we HAVE to delay something - like today's show or the 4-5pm daily feeds - they have to air upconverted or there's no announcer audio. (This whole audio thing is a LOT more complicated thans we originally thought.) So that's why it looked like it did. Sorry, but I can't do both with the equipment we currently have. I spent most of Thursday, all of Friday, and about half of today on the phone and email with everyone up through Dolby's support techs trying to get answers to this problem. We may have figured out a solution, but I'm not sure corporate is going to buy into it since it's going to require spending another $15-20K to resolve. (We're already in about $9K for the Dolby Digital encoder...) When I get an answer later this week, we'll decide where this is going but I can pretty much guarantee that we'll be back to a 2/0 stereo feed (Dolby Prologic) at the end of the Olympics until we can get some more equipment in and installed to fix this.

So sorry for the upconverted - but I can't switch back and forth at will - we have to physically rewire part of the chain to make the switch back and forth. We'll be back to live Olympics tonight in prime time...

Lance

Lance Hankins
KTUU-HD
post #390 of 549 Old 02-20-2006, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the update. We know you're all working on it.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page