Anchorage, AK - HDTV - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 549 Old 04-17-2006, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yep, sure did!

Last time they did this on the 6208 I called and the tech rep didn't even know what a 30 sec skip was. It was a waste of my time... I think I'll pass on the phone call this time...it's pretty much hopeless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 549 Old 04-19-2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog_AK View Post

Anyone else notice that sometime this last week the "30-second skip" function was removed again from the Phase III boxes for GCI cable? The skip function worked fine last weekend. Firmware is now 12.31, I think it was 12.21 or something prior. Anyway, nothing like new "less improved" features.....

You might like this.

http://www.anchoragehd.tv/bb/viewtopic.php?t=11
post #423 of 549 Old 04-19-2006, 03:58 PM

Here's what I got from the link on that page...
Nice of them to consider the 30 sec skip function a "Bug."

Firmware
Version 12.x firmware is used by the 6412 Phase III and the 3412

Version 12.31
Available: 2006-02-23
Bugfixes:
Disabled 30-second skip feature
post #424 of 549 Old 04-21-2006, 08:23 PM

Did anyone take the plunge and buy the new HD-A1? If so, where did you get it?
post #425 of 549 Old 05-04-2006, 05:34 PM

Or for that matter, has anybody bought/seen the xbox360 HD adapter?

Edit: I went around yesterday to Sears, Walmart, and Shimeks looking for the HD-A1. The guys at Shimeks said they aren't going to have any for acouple of weeks, and that they heard that BestBuy had 2 in which sold immediatly.
post #426 of 549 Old 06-11-2006, 07:01 PM

does anyone know if i can pull recorded shows off of my motorola dct6412 3

and if so how do i do it?

i want to send some tv shows to my brother in the sand box (iraq)

peace
post #427 of 549 Old 11-17-2006, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Bump to avoid archiving.
post #428 of 549 Old 12-25-2006, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joakwin View Post

does anyone know if i can pull recorded shows off of my motorola dct6412 3

and if so how do i do it?

i want to send some tv shows to my brother in the sand box (iraq)

peace

There used to be a thread in the HDTV forum that describes how to hook up via firewire to a win XP machine and do it... It looked fairly involved from what I saw a while back. Things may have changed by now though.
post #429 of 549 Old 01-01-2007, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post

There used to be a thread in the HDTV forum that describes how to hook up via firewire to a win XP machine and do it... It looked fairly involved from what I saw a while back. Things may have changed by now though.

joakwin, pm me, I have the single tuner (DCT6208) but I archieve HD from my box via firewire with no problems.
post #430 of 549 Old 01-04-2007, 10:37 AM

Anyone have a successful experience recording shows off of GCI using MythTV?

Considering a new HTPC build, and testing waters before jumping in and getting my feet wet.
post #431 of 549 Old 01-10-2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_Thompson View Post

Anyone have a successful experience recording shows off of GCI using MythTV?

Considering a new HTPC build, and testing waters before jumping in and getting my feet wet.

I record off the Motorola boxes directly to my PC just fine, never tried MythTV.

Side note, anyone seen the new Atlas DVR's GCI is handing out? They are very nice with flashy blue LED's up front, SATA, Firewire, USB, Ethernet, HDMI etc, only downside was it didnt work with the D-VHS drivers I use to cap from the Moto boxes. The CS rep said they are phasing out the moto boxes and will be handing out Atlas boxes to new customers.
post #432 of 549 Old 01-10-2007, 01:40 PM

Justin,
Do you happen to have a link?

GCI's site still shows the motorola, and the only thing I could find on the net was for the atlas dvr universal remotes, which it looks like what comes with the motorola currently.
post #433 of 549 Old 01-10-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Justin,
Do you happen to have a link?

GCI's site still shows the motorola, and the only thing I could find on the net was for the atlas dvr universal remotes, which it looks like what comes with the motorola currently.

Hmm, I saw the Atlas branding on the remote so I thought that was the brand of the cable box as well, maybe its a diff brand, Ill see if I can grab a model number and some specs off it later tonight. Physically it looks MUCH different than the Moto boxes. (especially when the front LED indicator is lit). Sigh, yet another manufacturer adding hyper-blue LED's to an electronic device.
post #434 of 549 Old 01-10-2007, 08:23 PM

Ok did some googling, it looks like its not an Atlas, my mistake, its made by Pace Micro, model is a TDC775 Tahoe. Here's some specs I found

http://www.pacemicro.com/corporate/p...TDC775%20Tahoe

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/82...cro_technology

The GCI store on Northern lights had *STACKS* of these behind the counter if you want to swap your moto box for them. Id guess they had 75-100 easy.

I originally had a 6208 (single tuner), I wanted to swap it out for a Moto dual tuner and from what I had read earlier it should have been a Moto 6412 but I got this Tahoe box instead. Swapped the Tahoe back in for a Moto dual tuner but the model number was DCT3416 instead of a 6214 . Oh well, its dual tuner and firewire works so Im satisfied I really liked that Tahoe box but its a shame the firewire didnt work else I woulda kept it. From the specs it had 40GB of extra HDD space and a functional SATA port as well.
post #435 of 549 Old 01-11-2007, 10:22 AM

Hmmm...cool. How was the software? Was it the same "tv guide" front end? Did you happen to test the SATA port with an external HD?

Here's someone else's review here on AVS from a different market

I'd like to hear a bit more about it before jumping ship with the motorola...
Anyone else grab one of these?
post #436 of 549 Old 01-11-2007, 10:29 AM

post #437 of 549 Old 01-11-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:

Hmmm...cool. How was the software? Was it the same "tv guide" front end? Did you happen to test the SATA port with an external HD?

Here's someone else's review here on AVS from a different market

I'd like to hear a bit more about it before jumping ship with the motorola...
Anyone else grab one of these?

It has the exact same TV guide interface. Noticed a few quirks tho. When accessing the mneu (Menu button while cable box is turned off) you no longer get the White screen with all the options to adjust, it comes up with a live feed in a little blue box overlay. It had most of the same options, however, noticeably missing was the 4x3 override option. The only thing they have is auto-pillarbox which just stretches a 4x3 image to a 16x9 frame. Also, using the dual tuners was a bit different. On the moto its seamless, you can record from another channel and then switch to a different channel seamlessly with no popups. I was recording Enemy Of The State off StarzHD and then switched channels and this prompt came up saying "Do you want to switch to the other tuner?" instead of just automatically switching. I didn't test the SATA but when i hooked up the firewire cable from my box to my HTPC an external drive was detected under removable storage but Windows wouldn't let me access it. The other negative thing I noticed was the remote was far less responsive to button presses versus the moto. I literally had to mash the buttons down HARD to get them to respond. Tried same remote on Moto 3416 and it works fine so I dunno One of the nicer things was that it had independent resolution settings allowing for native signal passthrough. So for example you could set 720p and 1080i both to yes and then display something like HDNet in 1080i and ESPN at 720p instead of having everything converted to 1080i or 720p.
post #438 of 549 Old 01-13-2007, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Justin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_K View Post

Noticed a few quirks tho. When accessing the mneu (Menu button while cable box is turned off) you no longer get the White screen

Just a little background to the TDC775 (aka Tahoe). It is not a clone of the 34xx/64xx. Both boxes run TV Guide, but the PowerMenu and Diagnostics have significant differences and Tahoe has a number of features that are not available on the other DVRs (i.e. a functional SATA port etc.).

More details on these differences can be found in the TDC 775 Thread.

In this particular case, it was intentional that video is visible when you are changing video attributes.

Quote:

noticeably missing was the 4x3 override option.

Could you describe what this feature does? Does this auto-switch to 480i?

Quote:

On the moto its seamless, you can record from another channel and then switch to a different channel seamlessly with no popups. I was recording Enemy Of The State off StarzHD and then switched channels and this prompt came up saying "Do you want to switch to the other tuner?" instead of just automatically switching.

This particular pop-up is presented by TV Guide. The version of TV Guide is likely different between the two platforms. When both boxes are at the same level of TV Guide, this difference will be gone.

Quote:

firewire cable from my box to my HTPC an external drive was detected under removable storage but Windows wouldn't let me access it.

External 1394 drives are not currently support on the TDC775. External SATA drives are supported.

If you or Borg have additional questions, please let me know.

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #439 of 549 Old 01-15-2007, 06:32 PM

@lindend

the 4x3 override lets you select a format to display 4x3 SDTV content in. The motorola boxes let you set it to 480i, 480p, or off (1080i). Whatever setting you have it on, all 4x3 content will be converted to that particular resolution, ie if you have ti @ 480p, all SDTV will be shown in 480p. We needed this for our plasma downstairs because excessive black bars would probably resulkt in burn in. Unfortunately, our Samsung plasma does not have any sort of Zoom options in 1080i so the only option was to choose auto-pillarbox and the image was just stretched to fill the image and everyone looked like fat midgets (TNT-O-VISION). I needed the motorola's ability to out @ 480p so I could use the panorama/zoom features of my TV and have a decent 4x3 SDTV viewing experience.
post #440 of 549 Old 01-16-2007, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

@lindend

the 4x3 override lets you select a format to display 4x3 SDTV content in. The motorola boxes let you set it to 480i, 480p, or off (1080i). Whatever setting you have it on, all 4x3 content will be converted to that particular resolution, ie if you have ti @ 480p, all SDTV will be shown in 480p.

Ok, so this is the same issue you raised on the TDC 775 thread correct?

BTW, sorry about misspelling your name in my previous post. I've corrected it.

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #441 of 549 Old 01-16-2007, 11:39 AM

Lindend,
There is a thread on our local HD forums about the pace box if you are interested:
http://www.anchoragehd.tv/bb/viewtopic.php?t=131
post #442 of 549 Old 01-16-2007, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Borg,

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Linden
post #443 of 549 Old 01-16-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindend View Post

Ok, so this is the same issue you raised on the TDC 775 thread correct?

BTW, sorry about misspelling your name in my previous post. I've corrected it.

Yes same issue (along with not being able to get firewire working) another user mentioned the lack of 4x3 override as well. Was a really nice box tho, I really liked the look of the LED display up front. I need the ability to record via firewire to my PC tho so that was the deal breaker.

The GCI rep @ 5th ave. mall confirmed that these Tahoe boxes will be the new standard box being given out to digital cable subscribers. The Moto boxes are officially replaced it seems. (I believe I grabbed the very last moto dual tuner box out of all the GCI stores, had to goto 4 different stores just to find one in stock for me to pickup.)
post #444 of 549 Old 01-22-2007, 01:15 AM

Ok, anyone up off dearmoun getting any OTA channels? I get locals over GCI cable but decided to check out an antenna feed because Ive read it should be bitter PQ wise (GCI compresses the bejesus out of thier feeds). In any event, bought an RCA AND525 UHF/VHF antenna from BB and hooked it up and get *ZERO* channels. Tried with the amplifier gain at off, medium, and max. Manually tuned to the CBS-DT channel and pulled up my TV diagnostics info and had a signal strength of 40-45 % and it my TV kept flashing "lock" and "unlock" repeatedly - no picture and no audio. I figure I should at least be able to get CBS (its in the "yellow" small antenna range on antennaweb for my address) Antenna is hooked up directly to my Sony 40xbr2 LCD which has ATSC/QAM tuners. My buddy lives about 3 miles from me down around O-Malley and he got all the OTA's just fine with his silver sensor. I'll try and exchange for a diff antenna tommorow after class if time permits, but I found it a bit strange that I get no digital or no analog signals whatsoever.
post #445 of 549 Old 01-22-2007, 06:36 AM

Liked: 12
The indoor antennas I tried all REDUCED the signal except for the Silver Sensor. See if you can borrow your friend's to test it out.

Let us know if you can get the Goose Bay stations (KTUU and KAKM).
post #446 of 549 Old 01-28-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindend View Post

Hi Borg,

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Lindend, Is the new pace box HDMI 1.3 capable, or even firmware upgradeable to 1.3?
post #447 of 549 Old 01-28-2007, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lindend, Is the new pace box HDMI 1.3 capable, or even firmware upgradeable to 1.3?

It's HDMI 1.1 and can transmit DD 5.1 to any HDMI receiver/repeater (I'm not aware of any Cable operator transmitting 7.1 or the new codecs in their content).

As far as upgradability, can't comment on that.

Do you have some type of compatibility concern?

Linden
post #448 of 549 Old 01-29-2007, 09:00 PM

Not yet, but I probably will when I upgrade my audio/video to the next gen.

My question is mainly out of curiosity for now...
post #449 of 549 Old 02-03-2007, 09:39 PM

mmmmmm, first time we get the superbowl in HD this year
Now if only we could get Fox for the world series
post #450 of 549 Old 02-06-2007, 07:17 PM