post #451 of 549 Old 02-12-2007, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoWorm View Post

NASCAR starts this Sat... on FOX

Hey there! I'm over here in Kodiak and we get our "Digital, HDTV" on Wed the 14th! I am personnaly P.O'ed that we do not have Fox in HD! What gives? I have a Sony KDL46V2500 LCD 1080p and the PQ is horrible because of the stupid cable we have here! I cant wait to see the upgrade on Wed! Or should I say I cant wait to hear GCI's excuses for why my signal is so bad! Sorry had to vent!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 549 Old 02-21-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhankins View Post

Jim,
I suspect your problem is more related to the Ch11 inline issue than multipath, but may be a little of both. The big issue with multipath is that refelcted signals arrive at the antenna out of phase with the direct sicnal and partially cancel the direct one. So a reflection from in front of you like the metal roof wouldn't provide a large difference in path length and therefore not much cancellation. Usually multipath is more a problem for significantl off-axis signals but not always. On an analog set multipath shows up as ghosting. In dtv it causes a hole in the freqency spectrum which the receiver may be able to compensate for if it's a newer model - 4th or 5th generation tuner. The early tuners were not very good with multipath and it didn't take a lot to cause them to display no signal.

The Ch11 problem is more likely to be the culprit. One thing we've noticed ove the last couple weeks is tha propogation in general has been changing. I'm guessing it has to do with a lot of weather factors like moisture content in the air, layers of significantly different temperatures, etc. and ice in the Knik Arm moving in and outwith the tide. At my place near the airport some nights I get very poor reception (and poor Clearwire internet service) while other nights everything is 5/5.

I wonder about hte Dish receiver. Maybe someone else has some experience with this stb that they could give us. If your TV tuner gets the signal solid, the stb should do the same with the same setup. Maybe it's actually older technology - an early generation tuner - and is more affected. Not sure.

Only way to tell if it's Ch11 or multipath that I know of is to put a spectrum analyser on the signal and look at it. That gives you a pretty graphic representation of what's up. I might be able to come out next week and take a look with you if you want. Call the station andask for me if you want to do that. We're still trying to get a good hadle on propogation here in town and I'd be willing to do that.

As for preamps - I haven't found one yet that works with the digital signsls reliably and gives you enough gain to do any good. I tried 3 or 4 different ones at my house and found that anything over 10db of gain trashed the signal completely. Critical antenna aiming was much more help than preamp gain.

Lance

Lance
Some months ago, we had a conversation about the OTA signal problems that I was having with my Dish 921 receiver. I upgraded to a Dish 622 two weeks ago and am happy to report that the 622 locks on to Channel 2 HD signal just fine.

Jim
post #453 of 549 Old 02-21-2007, 03:04 PM

Hi everybody

I upgraded both my Dish and GCI equipment a couple of weeks ago and thought that I would offer my opinion on the Dish 622 vs GCI TDC775 Tahoe.

Picture quality:
All channels except locals: Dish. The picture has better detail and less motion artifacts.
Locals: GCI. Dish does not carry the local channels in HD. I do have a rooftop antenna connected, but Dish does not have the EPG info for KAKM HD and the guide for KTVA HD shows the info for NBC. This makes it very hard to set the DVR to record any HD off of either 7 or 11. The 622 Channel 2 HD does show the correct info. The 622 OTA for 2, 7 and 11 picture quality is better than GCI. However, the problems with the EPG out weigh the slight difference in picture quality.

User interface: Dish. I can record 3 channels simultaneously (2 from satellite and one OTA), the PIP works, the hard drive is bigger for about 200 hours of SD storage, the channels are in a better order in the guide, the guide is faster to scroll thru, no TV guide ads in the guide, 4 favorite lists instead of 1, Dish has Name Based Recording (record only new episodes of a program skipping repeats for example) and a 30 second skip forward.

Costs: comparable, but Dish just raised the price $5/month for the "everything" package. and I have not sat down with the bills to do a complete comparison.

Number of channels available: Comparable. Each has a few minor channels that the other does not. GCI has Starz HD, Dish does not. Dish has the old Voom channels on satellite 129, but due to problems with it, Alaska can not get it. Perhaps they will fix it in the future with the launch of a new satellite.

Bottom line for me: Dish. Just my 2 cents worth.
Jim
post #454 of 549 Old 02-21-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatcop1 View Post

Hey there! I'm over here in Kodiak and we get our "Digital, HDTV" on Wed the 14th! I am personnaly P.O'ed that we do not have Fox in HD! What gives? I have a Sony KDL46V2500 LCD 1080p and the PQ is horrible because of the stupid cable we have here! I cant wait to see the upgrade on Wed! Or should I say I cant wait to hear GCI's excuses for why my signal is so bad! Sorry had to vent!

It's not GCI's fault. Fox isnt transmitting a OTA DTV signal yet so GCI can't carry it. I keep hearing alleged launch dates, but it inevitably gets delayed. I'm still waiting

WORLD SERIES IN HD DAMNIT!
post #455 of 549 Old 03-06-2007, 02:01 AM

Is there a list anywhere for what we can get over GCI cable with a QAM tuner? On my Sony Bravia KDL-40S20L1 I get the basic channels 2-16 and then I get some random channels as well as HDNET and TNT HD, but without audio. I was kind of hoping I'd at least get the same channels I got with the old NTSC cable, without the need for a cable box to get more than very basic cable.

Anyways if I have some time this week I'll try to make up a list of what I can get in Juneau with a QAM tuner, shouldn't take that long not like its much.
post #456 of 549 Old 03-06-2007, 08:57 AM

Here's what I can pick up in anchorage:
2.1 nbc
7.1 pbs
11.1 cbs
post #457 of 549 Old 03-13-2007, 02:15 PM

Hey folks, glad I found this forum. Just dipping a toe in the water with this stuff. I'm up at the end of Eagle River Road (past the Nature Center). Analog TV reception on any channel (VHF or UHF) with indoor rabbit ears is iffy. Only channel I'm interested in receiving right now is the KAKM-DT on 7.1. I have no problems with making my own antenna, altho I may wait a month or two before trying to put it up high (that snow and ice thing).

So here's my first question: On antennaweb, they say the 'channel' is 7.1, but that the "Frequency Assignment" is 8. Is that VHF channel 8?

Thanks!
post #458 of 549 Old 03-13-2007, 06:38 PM

Liked: 12
You realize that PBS-HD isn't the same as local PBS?
post #459 of 549 Old 03-15-2007, 11:44 AM

Hm, no, I hadn't really thought about it. But the stuff I'm interested in (Great Performances, Masterpiece Theater and stuff like that) probably is?
post #460 of 549 Old 08-01-2007, 06:28 PM

Word of the KTBY / Fox antenna up on the Hilton downtown and broadcast to start in the near future.
post #461 of 549 Old 08-01-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parker View Post

Lance
Some months ago, we had a conversation about the OTA signal problems that I was having with my Dish 921 receiver. I upgraded to a Dish 622 two weeks ago and am happy to report that the 622 locks on to Channel 2 HD signal just fine.

Jim

Jim,
Glad to hear you're getting us fine now. We're still seeing occasional problems with NBC - last week we had 3 days straight where there was no center channel in the 5.1 - but overall, they're doing pretty well.
Lance

<")))>< <")))>< ><((("> <")))><
Lance Hankins
KTUU-HD
post #462 of 549 Old 08-01-2007, 11:47 PM

For more skinny about what's going on with DTV in Anchorage don't forget to stop by www.AnchorageHD.tv
See ya there!
Lance

<")))>< <")))>< ><((("> <")))><
Lance Hankins
KTUU-HD
post #463 of 549 Old 08-02-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z510z View Post

Word of the KTBY / Fox antenna up on the Hilton downtown and broadcast to start in the near future.

Nice!
How soon?
post #464 of 549 Old 08-03-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Nice! - How soon?

"Hopefully in time for NFL preseason"
post #465 of 549 Old 09-18-2007, 12:34 PM

Almost there !!!!!!

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
post #466 of 549 Old 09-27-2007, 10:29 AM

Hi all!

I'm just getting back into thinking about getting an HDTV antenna to put on my roof here in the Spenardagain neighborhood in Anchorage. I'm wondering if there are any local dealers that would sell me a good antenna for the job, or if online retailers would have more of what I need. Anyone using just an antenna to get their TV? I'd like to drop my Dish satellite in favor of an antenna, since the only TV we watch is on local channels.

Do I need a VHF/UHF antenna or only UHF? Mid or long range? What's the current thinking about this in the ANC?

Thanks!
post #467 of 549 Old 10-29-2007, 01:47 AM

Anyone have any news if GCI might be adding any channels any time soon(like before 08)? Right now the selection is pretty poor TBH. I want to upgrade to a nicer TV, but can't really justify it with only a few channels.
post #468 of 549 Old 10-29-2007, 10:03 AM

I dropped GCI for D i rect TV just for the HD channels they are really coming through for us right now and it looks like it is just getting better all the time. Not to mention the football package . Still nobody seems to be getting Fox anytime soon ? I hope we get it before 24 kicks back in .

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
post #469 of 549 Old 02-28-2008, 03:34 PM

Can anyone with directv post their complete satellite signal strengths for comparison of what to try to achieve.
101,110 and 119 for certain, all transponders.
99 and 103 if you have MPEG 4 equipment.
Also if you have MPEG 4 please give a brief description of your dish hardware setup.

Thank you in advance

Doctor j
post #470 of 549 Old 04-25-2008, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Posted this on anchoragehd.tv as well hoping for some answers
Hey guys!
Moving to Eagle River area (still looking for houses) at the end of June. What I have found so far is the following.
1) Antennaweb tells me nothing is available in the Eagle River area.... - You guys agree?
2) ABC still not in HD up there and nothing known yet - anyone know anything new?
3) DirectTV only gives me CBS and PBS in HD - Fox hopefully coming, but still up in the air. Do you guys know about the other channels?
4) Dish gives me a pretty decent local HD offering

Questions (besides above)
1) Some post here stated that due to location of satellites Dish gives better strenght than Direct tv. This was an old post is it still correct according to you guys? Lets assume I don't live right next to a mountain like my in-laws...
2) Any succes with waivers around here so I can get national feeds? Obviously this is mostly interesting for ABC since that doesn't exist, but also Fox for fotball sundays..
3) Any issues with getting Sunday Ticket via Direct TV in HD there? Aware of the blackout rules
Final question - how is the cable company in Eagle River area assuming I move into an area that is served. Are there multiple companies I need to look at? Also is anyone of them better for anything above dial-up internet

Bought my first digital 50-inch around 2002 and got one of the first HD-DVR's that Time Warner gave out so this is going to be a BIG change for me...
Appreciate any and all answers!
post #471 of 549 Old 06-29-2008, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I too am moving to Eagle River shortly. Not sure whether I will go with GCI, Direct, or Dish. As a side note for those who have satellite, who do you use for internet service since cable internet would be out?
post #472 of 549 Old 06-29-2008, 10:14 AM

Liked: 12
AT&T is just now rolling out their Wimax service in Anchorage. According to the card I received in the mail yesterday, the slow 384 kbps service is only $19.99 combined with local and long distance. Speeds up to 2Mbps are available.

The less than useful website is http://www.attalascom.com/

Then there's Clearwire?, MTA?, GCI? Did I miss anyone? Oh yeah, cellular modem service via ACS Wireless.
post #473 of 549 Old 07-16-2008, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately the alaska people are all over at this site: http://www.anchoragehd.tv/phpBB3/

Now I was thinking about going direct tv (if possible). There are other houses that I can see up the road with direct tv, so think it will work but won't be sure on how good until they come out there. Then I was thinking of going GCI with cable, but it would be expensive. AT&T would be an option as well as MTA. MTA also does tv, but not sure how good they are.

Finally it looks like our basement won't be done for a few months so probably going to get GCI first since the downstairs will have the home theater and at least 2 other tv's. So figuring that getting 2-3 HD satellite boxes should be done at the same time to get the best possible deal....
post #474 of 549 Old 05-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
UPDATE: Direct Tv followed by Dish seems to be the best options for HD programming in Alaska. GCI cable provides some HD locals that you cannot get as of yet on Satellite. No NBC HD on the satellites.

The link posted #473 seems to be fairly active and certainly more active than here. Would love to keep this going if anyone has any info. Why hasn't Direct Tv picked up locals in HD?? We can't even get the national ABC/NBc HD stations. I don't want to set up an air antennae to get the locals in HD!!
post #475 of 549 Old 08-31-2009, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Well the issue now for us in Alaska is a semi-active forum that is getting spammed to death by advertisers or this inactive thread - hoping some of you subscribe to this - time to migrate back???

GCI is best option for locals. I just went to D* and am kind of regretting it right now
post #476 of 549 Old 09-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah but the hd programming on Direct TV blows away the GCI options. Believe it or not it is KTUU that won't set it up.
post #477 of 549 Old 09-05-2009, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure I agree with D blowing away GCI. GCI just added a ton of channels. I have just switched to D but it is only for the ST ticket package. I was very happy with the HD options and it was getting better by the day.

Having NCB local in HD was worth a lot - MNF is going to piss me off when I watch it.....

Also from the KTUU people they have given their feed to D - D doesn't have the space now. Probably next year so that also means that if ABC ever goes HD then they will fall in the same boat - pure speculation
post #478 of 549 Old 09-06-2009, 12:46 AM

Sorry about the spam to AnchorageHD.TV. I've been unable to gain administrative access to the web server to upgrade and fix phpBB to stop the spam registrations. I hope that someday I can either get this information from Lance, or even work out a transfer of the domain. But one thing is for certain - I can't log in every day to delete spam, when a bot can just post again or re-register.
post #479 of 549 Old 09-07-2009, 05:44 PM

I'm getting kinda angry with KIMO. GCI was ace adding a load more HD channels but KIMO is still dropping the ball. Now with College Football starting back up, and the final 11 races of the NASCAR season on KIMO I'm wanting KIMO in HD more than ever. What do we need to do get them to pull you know what out of you know where?
post #480 of 549 Old 09-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post

Not sure I agree with D blowing away GCI. GCI just added a ton of channels. I have just switched to D but it is only for the ST ticket package. I was very happy with the HD options and it was getting better by the day.

Having NCB local in HD was worth a lot - MNF is going to piss me off when I watch it.....

Also from the KTUU people they have given their feed to D - D doesn't have the space now. Probably next year so that also means that if ABC ever goes HD then they will fall in the same boat - pure speculation

But without adding premiums you are only getting about 20 hd stations. I get over 50 basic HD stations (100+ HD with the premiums) and I can watch 1080p movies. A couple of those stations like 101 is exclusive to direct and has excellent programming.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page