Anchorage, AK - HDTV - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 549 Old 09-09-2009, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I agree with posts about KIMO not having HD, is there some way to let them know that (in case they don't already) that there are quite a few of us that do not watch their programming because they only broadcast in SD? Or maybe let ABC know that they or getting a lot of the Anchorage market and pressure KIMO to broadcast in HD!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 549 Old 09-14-2009, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

How do you do the 1080p movies? Downloading through the receiver? Do you know how much data you are using up per movie or how long this takes?

Since I cancelled the GCI package I gave up my unlimited data so that part sucks...
post #483 of 549 Old 09-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
It payperview through the satellite. A phone line needs to connected for billing but there is no download and load on bandwidth (I am stuck with MTA DSL and fix usage). It doesn't look as good as a bluray and they are 5.99.
post #484 of 549 Old 01-07-2010, 05:50 PM

Nice to see KIMO is still stuck in the 20th Century when it comes to HD. Would have been nice to see tonight's BCS Championship game in a decent picture that doesn't look like someone took a #2 on my screen
post #485 of 549 Old 01-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

or last week's Winter Classic!! Aren't they broadcasting in HD on GCI?
post #486 of 549 Old 01-07-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandrin View Post

or last week's Winter Classic!! Aren't they broadcasting in HD on GCI?

The Winter Classic was on NBC and in HD (looked quite good too!). GCI has quite a few HD channels, but KIMO/ABC isn't one of them. They don't even have an HD OTA broadcast yet.

One has to wonder if they will ever be HD at this rate.
post #487 of 549 Old 01-24-2010, 10:53 AM

Liked: 12
Since KIMO was just sold, it's looking better! Why would the old owners dump money into HD if they were just going to turn around and sell the station?
post #488 of 549 Old 01-24-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roginator View Post

Since KIMO was just sold, it's looking better! Why would the old owners dump money into HD if they were just going to turn around and sell the station?

The first thing the new owners need to do is get rid of the slogan 'Alaska Superstation' !
post #489 of 549 Old 02-17-2010, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Didn't know it was sold -- Great news

Now we need them in HD and D* to put up NBC in HD
post #490 of 549 Old 02-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

I filed a waiver with DTV to get NBCHD out of LA so I could enjoy the Olympics. The funny thing is that KTUU has to approve the waiver and it can take 45 days. Between Vs and KTUU on DTV I am frustrated. Needless to say I got an over the air for the Olympics. Is it DTV or KTUU that is holding up the HD broadcast? I thought it was KTUU?
post #491 of 549 Old 02-17-2010, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

How do you expect to get a waiver approved? They provide you with the local channel through D there is no requirement for this to be in HD. I looked into that route too, but did not file as there is no way that they should approve it if you live in the Anchorage area. Separately you say that you are getting it OTA then definately there is no way you will get the waiver approved -- sorry.

KTUU has stated that they have now agreed with D*. The answer is complicated as KTUU wanted money (from what I read on AnchorageHD before that site went under). Then finally KTUU gave up on it but now D* claims to be out of room so they won't put up the HD feed. Very annoying but hopefully with the next satelitte launch we will get there
post #492 of 549 Old 02-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post

How do you expect to get a waiver approved? They provide you with the local channel through D there is no requirement for this to be in HD. I looked into that route too, but did not file as there is no way that they should approve it if you live in the Anchorage area. Separately you say that you are getting it OTA then definitely there is no way you will get the waiver approved -- sorry.

Glad you have it all figured out. You haven't submitted a waiver or followed through on the process yet you seem to know the outcome?

KTUU doesn't know that I am barely getting it over the air. I pay for locals and HD channels in Direct TV and my topographic and micro-conditions could certainly prevent me from getting it all together. My filed argument is that there is only one NBC station in the state, I don't live in Anchorage, and I would like NBC in HD. The supervisors at DTV thought it warranted a shot so I got nothing to lose. I will let you know how it turns out - but you already know.
post #493 of 549 Old 02-18-2010, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

lol

if you get it great for you and I would spend my time submitting a waiver.

"if you live in the Anchorage area." -- That statement has a big fat if in front of it

Separately you say that you are getting it OTA then definately there is no way you will get the waiver approved -- sorry. -- ok that one has no if. The rules are pretty clear - if you can get OTA then you shouldn't get a waiver approved.

I can't get OTA in Eagle River but I can get the KTUU via Direct TV. All the reading I did about the waiver rules came out pretty clearly and stated that if I can get any signal (SD or HD) from the local station then I will not get a waiver approved. If you are in the KTUU "broadcast area" AND can get Direct TV then you SHOULD not qualify for the waiver.

IF KTUU still grants you the waiver then one big FAT Congrats to you - that would be fantastic and I would submitt mine right away. BUT per the rules you do NOT qualify.

As you say that doesn't mean it wouldn't be worth trying.
post #494 of 549 Old 02-18-2010, 10:56 AM

Anyone know if GCI has updated their HD-DVRs in the past year or so? I have the Pace 787 and it'd be great to have a bigger hard drive.
post #495 of 549 Old 03-19-2010, 03:02 PM

Anyone else notice that it appears KTUU HD is on now on DIRECTV EXCEPT downconverted to SD?

There are now always blacks bars on the top and bottom of the screen for HD programming and bars on left, right, top, and bottom for non HD programming.
post #496 of 549 Old 05-14-2010, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

So Tandrin -- have you gotten any reply on your waiver? Just curious and hope it worked so I can apply

Thanks!
post #497 of 549 Old 05-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Shut down....but I heard back in three weeks!
post #498 of 549 Old 05-17-2010, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

That was quick -- sorry it didn't work out. As I said I didn't think it would, but I would have LOVED if it did....

I did email Direct TV again about it and they said sorry and confirmed that it was because of space.

Now with that said while looking around at some sites this weekend there are some issues with the new satellite. The speculations are that the fix they came up with can be applied to the spot-beam satellite as well (which apparently didn't reach expected capacity). The stuff is a bit over my head as it got real technical but they are doing stuff the next 1-2 months that people think will open up to more local channels. I am hoping it will work and expect that we will know before the end of the summer which means BEFORE football season
post #499 of 549 Old 05-17-2010, 07:04 PM

I had heard ABC was recently sold, but when I stopped by KTBY's office at Benson and Denali today I found the door locked and a sign saying to go to ABC at 2700 E Tudor if you have questions. The tech staff was still there broadcasting.

Did I miss a story in ADN? Or is this an accidental scoop?
post #500 of 549 Old 05-17-2010, 07:44 PM

I hadn't heard anything about KTBY or KIMO. Would be nice to finally get KIMO in HDTV, as the station now looks just horrible (GCI Cable). I don't even bother watching and instead stream in HD online from ABC.com
post #501 of 549 Old 05-18-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Agreed on streaming from ABC the issue is I missed out on 10 lost episodes and they don't have that many online. I do have them on the DVR and that is what I am stuck with (no spoilers please).

Yeah I can't really blame D* for not carrying ABC in HD when it isn't being provided to them -- but KTUU / NBC is something that I want and I recommend everyone (all five of us here) to email D* and ask about the status of getting it on there. I do so every 3rd month......
post #502 of 549 Old 05-19-2010, 09:23 PM

Maybe if KIMO and KTBY join forces, KIMO can get HD and KTBY can get surround sound!

(Front door of KTBY was locked today again, but signs saying to go to ABC were missing.)
post #503 of 549 Old 05-20-2010, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Doubt it -- Fox paid for the install of the HD stuff way back when to make sure it got done right. Well maybe the stations reimbursed them but Fox managed the whole thing and setup their system that is different than what the others are using.

No it will be interesting to see how it plays out and it is sad to see the state of HD and even just sound up here. There is enough money in this city to have these things work properly.........
post #504 of 549 Old 05-24-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

So I filed a FCC complaint today against the four local stations. Below is the text. I read a little about this - not much so there may be some excuse that they can use. Hope not and will be interesting to see what comes out of this.

The four local TV stations in Anchorage Alaska (Kimo, KTUU, KTVA and KTBY) have taken it upon themselves to add additional commercials beyond what is normally slotted for. This in itself is not a violation of FCC broadcast rules, but it does mean that programming in the evenings does not end at 8pm, 9pm etc as is standard in the lower 48. It means that one program may end at 8.33 and the next one at 9.07. These adjustments to a "standard" broadcast schedule is not being communicated to the consumers through any media. Local papers, guides on cable and through satellite providers are inaccurate.

I believe that this is a clear violation of the Program and System Information Protocol as issued by the FCC. While the intent of the order may originally have been against live broadcasts running long it should also be implemented against incorrect "up-front" information. I look forward to your review of the matter.
post #505 of 549 Old 05-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Right on!
post #506 of 549 Old 05-30-2010, 12:44 AM

I scooped the ADN concerning KTBY and KIMO....

http://www.adn.com/2010/05/29/1300192/alaska-ear.html
post #507 of 549 Old 05-31-2010, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone else have NBC outage - direct tv for me
post #508 of 549 Old 05-31-2010, 06:36 PM

KTUU's over-the-air signal was down the other day, but their GCI connection still worked.

I had assumed they got that fixed, but maybe not.
post #509 of 549 Old 06-02-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roginator View Post

I scooped the ADN concerning KTBY and KIMO....

http://www.adn.com/2010/05/29/1300192/alaska-ear.html

I saw that

Maybe KIMO get's their act in order in time to get the World Cup finals on TV in HD... Probably not though
post #510 of 549 Old 06-02-2010, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah called KTUU on Monday and was told it was down for all except cable.

Great so with Direct TV -- NHL finals may or may not be on and if they are on they are in SD.

Then we flick over to the NBA Finals and they are on in SD........then we get the World Cup in..........SD

They suck (Direct TV sucks for not having KTUU on in HD, but KTUU sucks for their lousy quality and KIMO just sucks even more)
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page