Anchorage, AK - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 549 Old 11-09-2004, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did you notice on the GCI channel lineup GCI Channel Lineup
That GCI lists channel 629 as HDNET Sports?

Where are the sports? Oh... Bikini Destinations... silly me

Quote:

Originally posted by Justin_K
And let me add on how totally useless the NFL HD Network is.
It's just a damn rebroadcast of the SDTV feed in 4x3 windowbox format. I mean christ, whats the point of that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 549 Old 11-10-2004, 11:47 AM

I just tried TitanTV and I must say, what a nice website! They really did a good job putting that together. TVGuide has a long way to go.

Here's what would be really nice...
Have GCI use TitanTV instead of TVguide and have the ability to use that web interface to set your recordings on your DVR. It can't be that hard, can it? I think I'll send an email to GCI requesting this feature.

I agree about NFL HD net....what a waste of bandwidth.
post #93 of 549 Old 11-10-2004, 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by geoWorm
Did you notice on the GCI channel lineup GCI Channel Lineup
That GCI lists channel 629 as HDNET Sports?

Where are the sports? Oh... Bikini Destinations... silly me

That listing is incorrect, it says HDNet Sports but its really just the standard HDNet channel.

Got some HD episodes of Smallville coming on tommorow should be good stuff since we dont have a HD UPN/WB feed
post #94 of 549 Old 11-12-2004, 12:24 AM

heh, The "NFL Game Of The Week" 1 hour show is in HD on the NFL HD network, only thing Ive seen so far on the channel in high def.

Did anyone catch the NBA games on TNTHD today? It seems like theres a lot of macroblocking mpeg artifacts on TNT. I have a problem with one of my cable jacks (the one with the HD box) with a weak analog signal. Channels 1-13 or whatever come in VERY low quality, the digital and HD channels seem fine, although I can't say for sure if its 100 %. I had to have GCI come and install a signal amplifier because my original cable quality was so craptastic, not sure if this is affecting my HD signal and giving me these artifacting errors.
post #95 of 549 Old 11-12-2004, 12:00 PM

I'm having a problem too...
The problem I'm having is severe blocking, video and sound dropouts when you change channels (only on HD channels). It sometimes takes up to 20-30 seconds in order for the motorola to "catch up" and display the high def channel properly. Sometimes it doesn't ever catch up and ends up just going black. I'm using the component connection. It does this on two different displays on different connections, so I know for sure it's the box. I also had some signal strength issues with my cable modem before -- don't know if it's related but they fixed it a few months back.

The Nuggets game last night looked fine to me. Only on fast moving shots could I see some artifacting, but that's probably due to a lower bitrate broadcast to save bandwidth.
post #96 of 549 Old 11-12-2004, 01:42 PM

I notice the same thing when I channel hop thru the HD stuff. One time after waiting 30 secs for the channel to come in, I hit pause, waited 2 secs and hit play and everything was fine. I'm also using component outs, DVI isn't enabled is it?

I remember the same thing when the digital boxes first came out many years ago. Probably a bandwidth issue at the headend controllers.

I'm wondering if setting the box to native 720p will be better for Sunday's ESPN-HD Bills - Pats game. Since ESPN and ABC broadcast HD in 720p and my display device is native 1280 x 720?

During last nights ESPN-HD college game I didn't notice any difference in the sound as compared to channel 29. I'm using the s/pdif connection to my a/v receiver.

FWIW, I have noticed what seems to be dolby 2.0 surround from channel 2.

Cheers
post #97 of 549 Old 11-13-2004, 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by geoWorm
I notice the same thing when I channel hop thru the HD stuff. One time after waiting 30 secs for the channel to come in, I hit pause, waited 2 secs and hit play and everything was fine. I'm also using component outs, DVI isn't enabled is it?

I remember the same thing when the digital boxes first came out many years ago. Probably a bandwidth issue at the headend controllers.

I'm wondering if setting the box to native 720p will be better for Sunday's ESPN-HD Bills - Pats game. Since ESPN and ABC broadcast HD in 720p and my display device is native 1280 x 720?

During last nights ESPN-HD college game I didn't notice any difference in the sound as compared to channel 29. I'm using the s/pdif connection to my a/v receiver.

FWIW, I have noticed what seems to be dolby 2.0 surround from channel 2.

Cheers

ESPNHD is broadcast in 720p so if you set the DCT6208 to out @ 720p it will be displayed in its native resolution on your display instead of being upconverted to 1080i and in theory should look better. I must say the DCT6208 does a pretty damn good job of upconverting 720p > 1080i. And the reason you didnt notice any sound difference is because ESPNHD doesn't broadcast a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal. They use a proprietary matrix format called Circle Surround 5.1 but it will show on your reciever as most like Pro Logic II. Try the stuff on TNTHD or HDNet, the majority of those broadcast should be in DD5.1

Also, did anyone else here get The Movie Channel HD for free? I had Showtime for the sole purposes of ShowtimeHD but to be honest, with the exception of maybe 1 movie a month, that channel is crap. I switched to Starz which has a MUCH better movie lineup and Im also recieving TMCHD which I believe is part of the Showtime subscription. Oh well, I'm not complaining =P
post #98 of 549 Old 11-14-2004, 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Justin_K
Also, did anyone else here get The Movie Channel HD for free? I had Showtime for the sole purposes of ShowtimeHD but to be honest, with the exception of maybe 1 movie a month, that channel is crap. I switched to Starz which has a MUCH better movie lineup and Im also recieving TMCHD which I believe is part of the Showtime subscription. Oh well, I'm not complaining =P

Yeah, same here. I'm getting both TMC and Starz. I'm guessing it's the same type promo as when you first get your 6208. I got all movie channels for about a month.

When I switch my 6208 to 720p I get video dropouts. They are about 1-2 sec in duration and happen about every 5-15 min. The sound stays on during the dropout. You guys seeing the same?
post #99 of 549 Old 11-16-2004, 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Borg
When I switch my 6208 to 720p I get video dropouts. They are about 1-2 sec in duration and happen about every 5-15 min. The sound stays on during the dropout. You guys seeing the same?

I switched my 6208 to 720p before Sunday's ESPH-HD Bills - Pats football game. I didn't notice any dropouts.

I have noticed that the picture quality on the HD channels are darker and I have to boost my brightness and gamma settings on the projector. Thank goodness for presets.

Cheers
post #100 of 549 Old 11-19-2004, 09:08 AM

Are any of you able to pause or rewind channel 49 (discovery)?
I am unable to do this. I wonder if this is part of that new legislation making it illegal to ffwd thru commercials....I didn't think it was signed yet..?? I won't be a happy camper if I can't ffwd thru commercials; that's one of the main reasons to pay $15 more per month for the 6208.
post #101 of 549 Old 11-23-2004, 02:57 AM

Borg: My Discovery channel pauses and RW/FF etc just fine.

To everyone else, I *HIGHLY* recommend you take a look at the following thread

Record from 6208 to PC

I have been downloading HDTV movies ever since they have been released on the net and have compiled a collection of around 275-300 movies in 1080i and 720p formats. Only problem is the movies are generally 10-15 GB and take quite sometime to download on our relatively crappy broadband connections here in Anchorage. The methods in the above mentioned thread will allow you to make your own perfect HDTV caps in 1080i (raw MPEG2 transport streams) and save you a heap of download time. If you have a HTPC, I *HIGHLY* suggest you try this. Made perfect 1920x1080i caps of Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Pirates Of The Caribbean off StarzHD last week =).

BTW, you can also cap regular SDTV cable feeds if you are into that sort of thing
post #102 of 549 Old 11-25-2004, 07:21 PM

Right after I posted that (about CH 49) I called GCI and they said "Huh? Let me check ours.....wow, ours won't pause either."

After reading your post Justin I checked mine again and sure enough it works now. I've read a few of those posts about recording to HTPC but I just don't have the HD space to make it happen.
post #103 of 549 Old 12-02-2004, 12:45 PM

I know this is a little OT but it's one of the only places I could find a group of Alaskans on the forum. I've got three CRT projectors for sale and I'd love to be able to sell them within the state for obvios shipping reasons. What I have are:

Electrohome Marquee 8000 w/ beautiful tubes
Sony VPH-1270Q
Sony VPh-1271Q

If any one is interrested PM me or drop me a email at ufdah at alaska dot net.

<><
post #104 of 549 Old 12-04-2004, 11:08 AM

Anyone else notice that BravoHD is now Universal HD?
Check out the following article:
http://www.mediaweek.com/mediaweek/h..._id=1000709383
Looks like we'll get some better programming than what bravo used to carry. They'll even carry some unedited universal movies.

Ufdah, I'm not in the market (just purchased a panasonic AE700), but how'd you end up with three crt's?
post #105 of 549 Old 12-04-2004, 11:23 AM

Quote:

Anyone else notice that BravoHD is now Universal HD?
Check out the following article:
http://www.mediaweek.com/mediaweek/h..._id=1000709383
Looks like we'll get some better programming than what bravo used to carry. They'll even carry some unedited universal movies.

Ufdah, I'm not in the market (just purchased a panasonic AE700), but how'd you end up with three crt's?

I'm wondering if they are talking about the new Battlestar Galactica series that is due to start in January, and if so, will it be on 'U HD' the same day or week as Sci-Fi channel. Doesn't look like Sci-Fi channel will be going HD anytime soon.

Borg - How do you like the AE700? I just had to replace the lamp in my year old Sanyo Z2. HD on 106" screen is awesome.

Cheers
post #106 of 549 Old 12-05-2004, 03:45 PM

Geoworm - My AE700 hasn't shipped yet, the place I ordered it from doesn't have any in stock yet and it may be a while. How do you like your Z2? I've heard good things about the Z3.
post #107 of 549 Old 12-06-2004, 01:32 PM

Quote:

Geoworm - My AE700 hasn't shipped yet, the place I ordered it from doesn't have any in stock yet and it may be a while. How do you like your Z2? I've heard good things about the Z3.

The Z2 is more than I expected for the price. I orig was going to get a HS-20, but the waiting list was long last year and I wanted it before superbowl. The salesman at ProjectorPeople talked me into the Z2. I had to return it after six weeks due to bad streaking in the middle of the screen, but I had it back in service in less than a week. Having the lamp go out after 2,737 hours was a little disappointing, but it was only two weeks from being a year old. The Z2 does well with digital SD channels from GCI cable, and NBC, ABC, & CBS is not that bad either. FOX & UPN are very grainy on 106" screen. HD stuff is the bomb.

Back on topic... will we be able to watch the SuperBowl on a big screen from the inferior KTBY FOX broadcasts? Will KTBY FOX be broadcasting a DTV signal by then? Looks like KTUU-DT is awaiting a FCC permit. KTVA-DT is suppose to be live on Jan 1, 2005.

Cheers

geo
post #108 of 549 Old 12-06-2004, 07:03 PM

Wow, 2737 hrs in a year. Nice job...that's more than 7 hrs/day!
post #109 of 549 Old 12-06-2004, 09:58 PM

Quote:

KTVA-DT is suppose to be live on Jan 1, 2005.

Cheers

geo [/b]

Don't hold your breath on this one!

Some people just need their own planet!
post #110 of 549 Old 01-02-2005, 01:18 AM

Liked: 12
hey! That's today!! (aiming antenna towards Spenard)
post #111 of 549 Old 01-03-2005, 03:57 PM

I'm not alone!

Hi guys I'm pretty new to this stuff can any of you recommend who the best provider for basic TV as well as HD up here (Anchorage) right now I've got Dish Network and I'm trying to decide if I should stick with them or try GCI or Direct TV.
post #112 of 549 Old 01-05-2005, 10:47 PM

KYES has started broadcasting in HDTV!

Well...er... um... the picture quality is sorta low. And there are some problems with the picture... jerkiness and changing colors... and the bandwidth currently allocated to the subchannel 4 on digital channel 22 is not very high. I would probably cringe if watching it on a large TV. Hey...Rome wasn't built in a day. It's still in testing.

But technically, they are the first again! Now where's KTVA, KENI, KAKM. KIMO & KTBY??? Are they waiting until one of us complains to the FCC about their foot-dragging?

UPDATE: Picture quality is much improved over earlier this evening. Still not HDTV, but close to SDTV. I'm going to try to burn a DVD to test the quality on my analog TV.
post #113 of 549 Old 01-06-2005, 10:06 PM

I thought they were already doing that on CH22 for a while now?
post #114 of 549 Old 01-06-2005, 10:40 PM

They've been showing demo HDTV material -- lately the Wealth Channel on subprogram 1, but this is the actual, local KYES feed. (on subprogram 4)

Someday they might even upgrade the KYES feed to HD quality.

For the miniscule dollars he's put into it so far, it's utterly amazing how far he's come with HDTV.

Does anyone in Anchorage even have an ATSC tuner???
post #115 of 549 Old 01-07-2005, 06:14 PM

I wonder if GCI will now carry KYES in digital?
post #116 of 549 Old 01-07-2005, 06:55 PM

GCI will not likely carry KYES as a digital channel until they go to true HDTV. There's not much point in carrying it as digital if the signal quality is roughly the same as analog.

The chief tinkerer at KYES, Jeremy Lansman, says that the present quality can be improved with better equipment. Apparently I missed a test of the best quality they are capable of at this point. (he is still experimenting). Most of what he says is wayyy over my head, but he definitely seems to know what he's doing. I hope the same can be said for the other TV station techies.

I tried a test capture of a show with MyHD card. Running it through ProjectX to fix any sync issues caused ProjectX to run out of memory. I tried making a DVD anyway and the picture looked pretty strange.

Capturing the full HDTV subprogram seems to work ok. A/V sync and occasional signal loss seem to be the stumbling blocks to successful capture of that.
post #117 of 549 Old 01-08-2005, 05:32 AM

christ I wish we had some OTA DTV so we could watch the damn NFL playoff games in HD. I don't see any scheduled on ESPNHD

But on the bright side, American Ninja comes on HDNet Movies next week - Funniest 80's movie ever!
post #118 of 549 Old 02-12-2005, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

It looks like HD is going to finally be offered in Fairbanks. An email from GCI advised that they would deliver in May 05. No word on networks.
post #119 of 549 Old 02-17-2005, 09:28 AM

I believe FOX switched to 720p sometime last year. I'm not sure how this will apply to KYES though, but I'd assume they will eventually be 720p like all the other FOX affiliates.
post #120 of 549 Old 03-06-2005, 10:00 AM
ATR

Shaun,

Thank you for contacting us concerning HD service in the Fairbanks/Eielson service area. This service is tentatively scheduled to be available around the end of this year, 2005; however, a definite timeframe has not yet been announced.

Thank you for your interest! If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to either e-mail us or call 452-7191 or 1-800-800-4800 and a customer service agent will be happy to assist you.

Debby T.
E-Mail Specialist
GCI Customer Service

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2005 2:29 AM
To: rcs@gci.com
Subject: HDTV

Hello I am just wondering if you will be adding HDTV to the FAIRBANKS/EIELSON service area?
thanks
Shaun
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page