Anchorage, AK - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 549 Old 09-14-2005, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I get very high signal strength from KTVA in Spenard. I almost have a direct line of sight to their tower. Alas, it is only standard definition -- and fuzzy at that. Channel 28-1 (may show up as 11-1)

KYES is located due east of you on the hillside. If you have a window on the east, place the antenna there and aim it to mountains. Channels 22-1, 22-2, 22-3, 22-4 Signal strength is somewhat less.

KTUU has both HD and SD feeds on channel 10-1 and 10-2 (may show up as 2-1 and 2-2) From where you are, aim north towards downtown. You may be pushing the limits of an indoor antenna at that range. Signal strength for me is quite low, yet I manage to get a good picture most of the time.

My best reception is always with the antenna sitting in a bay window... even if the broadcasting antenna is on the opposite side of the house. Don't ask me why. It's a typical wood house.

And double check all your cable connections from antenna to HDTV card!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 549 Old 09-14-2005, 05:57 PM

KAKM!!! On Channel 657????

That's what I just saw at TitanTV.com

I did a little more surfing and found this interesting -- and apparently recent .pdf newsletter from KAKM:

http://kakm.org/soundbites/soundbites-2005-3dtv.pdf
post #183 of 549 Old 09-15-2005, 03:57 PM

Liked: 10
Hello,
I'm not sure how many Anchorage people are checking on this thread, but I thought that I would check and see if anybody knows what the current status of KAKM is.

I heard that KAKM HD was up and transmitting, but I do not find it.

I put up a rooftop antenna last week and get KTUU in HD, KTVA in SD and KYES HD (Wealth TV on 22.1) and SD on 22.4.

Also, is KTUU HD transmitting on full power yet?

I have a Dish 921 that does not lock on the signal from KTUU (both HD and SD) or KTVA very well. It has pixelization break up every 1 to 2 minutes. KYES is stable. My Hitatchi TV locks onto all channels without an problems at all. I am hoping that KTUU is still low power and once it goes full power, the problem will go away.

This is with a CS1100 that I got at Frigid North and is mounted 30' above ground. Unfortunately I am just to the south of Klatt Elementary school and have a sloped metal roof between me and KTUU and KTVA transmitters. I got the deep fringe 1100 so as to avoid problems with the roof. The analog signals are not very good, with herring bone patterns in most channels.

There is an FM transmitter a mile away, so I'm not sure if I am seeing interference from it, the roof or just a low power signal.

Jim Parker
post #184 of 549 Old 09-15-2005, 06:04 PM

Try this great URL

http://www.kyes.com/antenna/interfer.../fmfilter.html

Notice particularly the bit that says with HDTV signals, there's no way of telling if they are being interfered with by looking at them.

Fortunately, you should soon be able to watch these HD channels on GCI cable if you can't filter your antenna signal.
post #185 of 549 Old 09-15-2005, 06:28 PM

Yay! I just picked up a few seconds of ABC on channel 12. Power seems to be even lower than KTUU. It seems to help when I stand next to antenna... maybe the signal is bouncing off me. Time to diet!

I now seem to be picking up a signal of similar power on channel 8 -- KAKM I assume. There's no picture though -- just blackness.

Update! I get a picture on channel 8! It's not showing anything that's now playing on the analog broadcast stations, so I assume it's some sort of PBS network feed? I suspect my little Silver Sensor antenna is flakey. Signal strength is a miserable 21% on my MyHD120 HDTV card.

Further Update: After realizing I had to use the MyHD software to properly add channels, I added in all THREE KAKM channels - KAKM-HD (yay), KAKM-DT (blah) and KAKM-SD? The SD channel only had an audio tone. The HD channel has different programming than the DT channel -- which is what we watch on our analog TVs. They come in as 7-1, 7-2 and 7-3, but are actually located on channel 8. Which leds me to wonder whether a different antenna might be called for.

BTW, tomorrow at Best Buy (9/16/05) they are having a grand-reopening with the addition of an area for recently-purchased Magnolia Hi-Fi. If you thought HDTVs were expensive before, just wait! I peeked in today and the new mini-store within-a-store is much nicer for checking out big TVs.
post #186 of 549 Old 09-16-2005, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roginator View Post

BTW, tomorrow at Best Buy (9/16/05) they are having a grand-reopening with the addition of an area for recently-purchased Magnolia Hi-Fi. If you thought HDTVs were expensive before, just wait! I peeked in today and the new mini-store within-a-store is much nicer for checking out big TVs.

If they only had front projection...did they add a theater room too?
If you have a good room for it, front projection is the only way to go for home theater.
post #187 of 549 Old 09-17-2005, 12:01 PM

I rescaned the channels this morning and found that KAKM is transmitting. The HD signal is coming in pretty strong. It has different programing than is on the analog channel 7.

The Dish 921 is not showing guide data for KAKM, UPN HD or KTVA 11. I'm not sure if the problem is in the 921 (which is known for OTA guide problems) or the stations are not transmitting the data.

Roginator: Thanks for the link. That is just what my analog channels look like. I'll see if Frigid North has any and post the results.
post #188 of 549 Old 09-18-2005, 12:35 AM

Was just watching Saturday Night Live on KTUU and noticed that the signal was constantly breaking up when I watched the HD channel, yet was rock-solid when watching the SD channel. Why would this be?

And today KTUU started airing Enterprise. Did they use the HD version of Enterprise? NooooOOOOooooo...it's the same old low-res version.

Continuing in my series of gripes and complaints: It "appears" that PBS is only going to air their packaged feed in HDTV, while the programs we know and love will be aired at significantly reduced resolution. I could be wrong about this, but if this is true, and they don't air shows such as Masterpiece Theater and Mystery! at full resolution... what's the %&$$*& point?
post #189 of 549 Old 09-18-2005, 10:55 AM

I got a FM trap at Frigid for $5 yesterday. I installed it on the analog input on the TV and the signal cleaned up. It looks pretty good now. So, I reconnected the roof top antenna to the Dish 921 with the trap installed. The signal strength that the 921 shows jumped from 80 to 100 on a 0 to 125 scale. However, KTUU HD still pixelates but not quite as bad as before.

KAKM has a little bit of pixelization every 3 to 5 minutes on the 921, but is watchable. The 921 shows a signal strength of 112. KTUU just breaks up too much to watch.

My Hitachi TV is rock solid on KTUU. The 921 must not have as good a tuner as the TV.

Yeah, I was bummed about Enterprise being SD also.
post #190 of 549 Old 09-18-2005, 07:42 PM

Enterprise will never be in HD but it's not KTUU's fault. UPN, in their infinite wisdom, refused to distribute the show in anything other than an SD version for fear that it would be pirated and show up all over the internet. They may be right, but it would have been nice.

The public channels all over the country use a similar format as what you're seeing on KAKM. Their standard fare is always shown on the .1 channel and somewhere farther down the line they feed an HD service provided to them by PBS nationally. It's all HD (well, almost all) and bears no relation to their analog service. There are some good shows, but not what you're used to seeing there. That feed is typically available from late afternoon through prime time. During the day they usually use the bandwidth for multiple SD channels doing educational stuff.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Lance

<")))>< <")))>< ><((("> <")))><
Lance Hankins
KTUU-HD
post #191 of 549 Old 09-18-2005, 08:57 PM

"CBS and UPN announced that they have partnered with Zenith to broadcast scripted primetime television programming in high definition format. The partnership marks CBS's fifth consecutive year of offering its primetime programming in HDTV and the first year for UPN, which will kick off HDTV broadcasts with STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE and JAKE 2.0 starting Wednesday, Oct. 15, 2003"

You can download HDTV versions of Enterprise now. I imagine they are compressed so much it's hard to tell.

They appear to still be tweaking the signals from Goose Bay. KTUU's signal strength is much higher than it was, but the HD picture is again almost unwatchable due to pixellation. It reminds me of when I was a kid and our old TV went wacko whenever a small plane flew overhead (we were in the flight path of Merrill Field). It's doing that again.

And KIMO (ABC) is coming in strongly enough so you can see their SD signal. Apparently they don't have an HD signal at present. Picture quality rivals that of KTVA -- poor.

Now all we need is FOX!
post #192 of 549 Old 09-18-2005, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roginator View Post

They appear to still be tweaking the signals from Goose Bay.

They broadcast from goose bay? All of them? If that's the case I imagine I have a chance of picking up signals in eagle river. Is anyone on the forum getting any signal here in eagle river?
post #193 of 549 Old 09-18-2005, 10:57 PM

Theoretically, NBC, ABC and PBS broadcast from Goose Bay. Here's a link showing the location of the Goose Bay tower in relation to Eagle River. (hope it works!)

http://www.sueandpaul.com/gmapPedome...0jwq%5BlxTahhA
Oddly, ER appears to be almost the same distance as me. It looks a lot closer on the map.

I can't get a signal aiming my little antenna at Goose Bay. I have to aim more towards Mt. Susitna. Perhaps AK Regional is blocking the direct signal.
post #194 of 549 Old 09-19-2005, 08:26 AM

The link didn't work, but I can see the same on a map. We do look a tad closer up here.
post #195 of 549 Old 09-19-2005, 12:23 PM

If you have not seen it, try antennaweb o r g
The forum will not let me post a url until I have 5 posts.

Click on the "select antenna" and put in your zip code. Be sure to look at the street level map. It is a great web site.
post #196 of 549 Old 09-19-2005, 12:24 PM

OK I have 5 post now.

www.antennaweb.org
post #197 of 549 Old 09-19-2005, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post

The link didn't work, but I can see the same on a map. We do look a tad closer up here.

You tried clicking on the link or did you try copying and pasting? Clicking works for me, copying and pasting probably won't.

(I just tried using T-I-N-Y-U-R-L to make the link shorter and AVSForum thinks it's some sort of cuss word or something..)
post #198 of 549 Old 09-19-2005, 06:53 PM

Yeah, just tried clicking on it. There must be a cookie ID in the URL or something. I think I'm SOL for getting a signal where I'm at. There's a big hill between me and goose bay.

Anyone heard if/when GCI will activate the dual tuner function in our HD-DVR's? Earlier this year a CS rep told me late summer...well, here we are...
post #199 of 549 Old 09-19-2005, 07:52 PM

Here's a simple Google maps URL to see the tower at Goose Bay...
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=wasill...5062&t=h&hl=en

I used this other site to draw a line between the tower and my location, showing distance in miles.
http://www.sueandpaul.com/gmapPedometer/

Those 2 links SHOULD work for everyone!
post #200 of 549 Old 09-20-2005, 12:53 AM

I've been watching the KTUU HD feed via Cable for about a week now. It took a while for the Tivo Guide to be updated to reflect the channel realignment, but I can't use Tivo for HD, anyway. Thus, I must trudge through the hell that is the Motorola interface.

Has anyone else noticed, at least using GCI, that you can almost "anticipate" when the signal is going to skip or stutter on any channel? It seems that this happens whenever a show fades to black. End, middle or beginning of a show.

Is there anyone in town using a Media Center PC to control the cable box and take in Audio / Video? My dream would be to have it connected to the Firewire port for simplicity and use the remote IR emitter to control the box. I know someone on here has had the box working with Firewire, but I don't know how the box behaves in that aspect. We may even get a couple Media Center extenders to spread HD throughout the house. :-D Comments anyone?
post #201 of 549 Old 09-20-2005, 08:53 PM

I dont use the box as a Media Center PC control device, but I do have my DCT6208 connected via Firewire to my XP box. A While ago GCI turned off the firewire ports, but I emailed them repeatedly and pointed out that the FCC mandates leased set top boxes be provided with a functioning firewire port upon request of a customer, so they turned it back on =). With the firewire enabled, you can make flawless mpeg2 transport stream recordings of any HDTV program. You can also watch "Live" HD streamed over the firewire on your computer. If you are interested in doing this there are plenty of topics on this forum concerning the topic, or PM me and I'll lend you a helping hand.
post #202 of 549 Old 09-21-2005, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_K View Post

I dont use the box as a Media Center PC control device, but I do have my DCT6208 connected via Firewire to my XP box. A While ago GCI turned off the firewire ports, but I emailed them repeatedly and pointed out that the FCC mandates leased set top boxes be provided with a functioning firewire port upon request of a customer, so they turned it back on =). With the firewire enabled, you can make flawless mpeg2 transport stream recordings of any HDTV program. You can also watch "Live" HD streamed over the firewire on your computer. If you are interested in doing this there are plenty of topics on this forum concerning the topic, or PM me and I'll lend you a helping hand.

Wow, it's good to have people like you around to stick up for us! haha I don't have any Firewire cables, so I won't be able to test mine. The last time I looked at the setup screen, it said Firewire was enabled.

If I have the Firewire cable connected to my computer, will Nero be a program that can capture this stream and save it to the hard drive? I've never actually tried to capture a stream before. I've toyed with the idea of putting a NAS on my home network and have Media Center, Windows and some other software store documents on that. It sure would beat the measley hard drive in the Motorola.

I'll search out some of this info on the forum. Very intriguing. My goal isn't to copy broadcasts from the box to be copied to DVD's or something, but rather to just have more plentiful space for time-shifting the HD material. And if Firewire does it, maybe Media Center can use it without a Tuner card. Yee haa!
post #203 of 549 Old 09-21-2005, 03:23 AM

Nero cant capture any data from the firewire stream. You can use either CapDVHS or dctrecord to record a raw transport stream to your HD and archive/watch it later. You can stream the data "live" and watch the feed on your computer monitor using Videolan (VLC). If you have TV-Out and plenty of HD space, you can timeshift as much data as you can store. You can use CapDVHS to set record times for programs to dump stuff to your PC HD in the form of a transport stream. Then later, you can stream the recorded files to your HD display via TV OUT. This is exactly what I do with my PC, ATI 9700 + HDTV Dongle, and Pioneer HDTV. Works fantastic. You can also choose to archive away any movies/shows you want although it will take plenty of discs. But if I so choose, I can throw in any of 500 or so HDTV movies and watch them at will. =)
post #204 of 549 Old 09-21-2005, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_K View Post

You can also choose to archive away any movies/shows you want although it will take plenty of discs. But if I so choose, I can throw in any of 500 or so HDTV movies and watch them at will. =)

I would imagine you could also use the VC10 codec to compress the HD stream for easier storage on DVD's. I wouldn't have a clue where to start on that beyond downloading WMP10 and encoder. You may be able to find something on this site:
http://www.videohelp.com/
post #205 of 549 Old 09-21-2005, 04:18 PM

Ah, I see! Thanks for the wealth of info!
post #206 of 549 Old 09-21-2005, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post

I would imagine you could also use the VC10 codec to compress the HD stream for easier storage on DVD's. I wouldn't have a clue where to start on that beyond downloading WMP10 and encoder. You may be able to find something on this site:
http://www.videohelp.com/

There are a number of things you can do to compress the stream for smaller sizes. Most notably, xvid and WMV9. I prefer to keep them in thier raw mpeg2 transport stream form because they can be transferred to D-VHS tapes in this format. Additionally, players such as the IOLinkplayer 2 can play native transport streams. With DVD-R prices so cheap these days I don't really flinch if I have to burn an extra DVD per movie.
post #207 of 549 Old 09-23-2005, 08:44 PM

Is anyone picking up the over-the-air signal from KAKM (PBS)? It seems to be at a power too low for me to receive now -- unless my antenna is aimed incorrectly.

I can get KTUU quite well. And KIMO. And they are both located on same antenna as far as I know.
post #208 of 549 Old 09-25-2005, 01:35 PM

I receive KAKM fine at the end of the Eagle River Valley, as well as KIMO and KTUU. And this is with a standard VHF antenna. Was planning on putting up a digital antenna, but my reception is so strong that I do not need to.
post #209 of 549 Old 09-25-2005, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotter Pin View Post

I receive KAKM fine at the end of the Eagle River Valley, as well as KIMO and KTUU. And this is with a standard VHF antenna. Was planning on putting up a digital antenna, but my reception is so strong that I do not need to.

Do you have good line of sight?
post #210 of 549 Old 09-25-2005, 08:46 PM

I seem to be having some sort of antenna problems. What I could use is a signal strength indicator that shows up in giant characters on my computer monitor.

Either that or an outdoor antenna with a rotator. Ahh someday.

My indoor antenna is aimed more towards Mt. Susitna than Goose Bay. Maybe I'm getting some sort of weak bounce off the mountain. If I aim it a few degrees either way, the signal is too weak for reception.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page