I think I have a direct line of sight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 549 Old 09-27-2005, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A question for those using the Motorola DVR for HD viewing on GCI...

Does the show you are watching ever hiccup (drop audio, pause for a moment and then stutter) when the show fades to black? I've noticed this not only just as the credits are about to roll, but anywhere that a show or movie will fade out.

-Begin Fade-out
-Drop Audio
-Stutter Audio
-Skip forward into video
-Play (sometimes with sync pixelation)
post #213 of 549 Old 09-27-2005, 09:22 AM

I am getting a lot of pixelation, random, seems more often on KTUU-HD. and the higher channels than on the lower ones.

Audio drops out then the video starts to pixelate. lasts for 2-5 seconds.

Some people just need their own planet!
post #214 of 549 Old 09-27-2005, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_K View Post

I dont use the box as a Media Center PC control device, but I do have my DCT6208 connected via Firewire to my XP box. A While ago GCI turned off the firewire ports, but I emailed them repeatedly and pointed out that the FCC mandates leased set top boxes be provided with a functioning firewire port upon request of a customer, so they turned it back on =).

Do you have a link to the FCC info? Also, what GCI email address did you use?
Thanks............

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter
post #215 of 549 Old 09-27-2005, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshark View Post

I am getting a lot of pixelation, random, seems more often on KTUU-HD. and the higher channels than on the lower ones.

Audio drops out then the video starts to pixelate. lasts for 2-5 seconds.

I talked to GCI this w/e and was told there has been greater than usual solar flares causing interference. I don't think it was a run around since they offered to have a tech come out and check my signal anyway.

post #216 of 549 Old 09-27-2005, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

One more tidbit. A GCI guy told me that Channel 2 is now HD (we know that), channel 7 should show up on 657 any day (maybe it is now?), 11 and 13 are converting to ED instead of HD to save money. Signal will certainly be cleaner, but not HD. Don't know about channel 5.

post #217 of 549 Old 09-27-2005, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post

One more tidbit. A GCI guy told me that Channel 2 is now HD (we know that), channel 7 should show up on 657 any day (maybe it is now?), 11 and 13 are converting to ED instead of HD to save money. Signal will certainly be cleaner, but not HD. Don't know about channel 5.

And watch me lunge for the jugular if they try to advertise themselves as being HD, instead of DTV. I was getting annoyed with Ch 13's horrible audio quality on everything they air, but I figured that since they're spending their money on the DTV equipment, I'll be patient and let them work on that, which is more important. Ch's 13 and 4 have always been the "low-fi" channels in this town. DTV may help make it less noticable.

As far as the solar flares go, that has credibility. I've seen mention of the solar activity being a lot higher this year.

akshark: Yeah, I get the random screw ups, too, but one I can always count on is the fade-to-black burp.
post #218 of 549 Old 09-27-2005, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Damn...
I guess we'll only see the sunday evening football game in HD... Doesn't sound good for an HD superbowl for a long time. It would also be nice to see "Lost" in HD.

I've also seen some pixelation on my 6412. It seems only to happen shortly after switching channels. I'm not seeing the fade to black problem. Could that be a 6208 problem? I'm still waiting for the firmware update to enable the dual tuner function...
post #219 of 549 Old 09-27-2005, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post

Damn...
I guess we'll only see the sunday evening football game in HD... Doesn't sound good for an HD superbowl for a long time. It would also be nice to see "Lost" in HD.

I've also seen some pixelation on my 6412. It seems only to happen shortly after switching channels. I'm not seeing the fade to black problem. Could that be a 6208 problem? I'm still waiting for the firmware update to enable the dual tuner function...

Has GCI ever said anything about really allowing the dual tuner function? That's ONLY on the 6412, isn't it?
post #220 of 549 Old 09-27-2005, 02:11 PM

Quote:

I just spoke to the GM of KIMO and he said it would be about a year before they transmit a HD signal, he did confirmed that they are transmitting a EDTV signal now. I asked why they can't give GCI the ABC network feed in HD and was told that GCI will not take a signal that way and they don't want to give up the bandwidth on the cable tv until the station is broadcasting in HD. He did say that they will be testing a HD signal off and on and that one of the tests will be the superbowl. Hopefully GCI will carry it.

Cheers
post #221 of 549 Old 09-27-2005, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraytonAK View Post

A question for those using the Motorola DVR for HD viewing on GCI...

Does the show you are watching ever hiccup (drop audio, pause for a moment and then stutter) when the show fades to black? I've noticed this not only just as the credits are about to roll, but anywhere that a show or movie will fade out.

-Begin Fade-out
-Drop Audio
-Stutter Audio
-Skip forward into video
-Play (sometimes with sync pixelation)

I have noticed drop audio on the non dvr digital box, but not within the last few weeks.

I will get picture pixelation on both of my cable boxes (HD & regular). SCI-FI on Friday nights are extremely bad during Stargate and Battlestar on the regular cable box. The mid season finale of Battlestar was in a stretch mode for some reason, the SCI-FI logo in the bottom right of the screen only showed SC.

652 will sometimes drop the picture / audio and display a pink screen for a second. Strange, hard to say if it is KTUU or GCI problem.

651 had some minor pixelation during the NASCAR race on Sunday. Yeah, why watch football in SD when you can watch a race in HD... any 4 or 11 lurkers paying attention?

I wonder if the stutter problems could be with the Moto DVR box?

Cheers
post #222 of 549 Old 09-27-2005, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Has GCI ever said anything about really allowing the dual tuner function? That's ONLY on the 6412, isn't it?

Oh yeah... that was another thing I asked about since I have a 6412. I was told they are beta testing the dual tuner operation and it should be soon. We'll see. The upside is that it will be done remotely, you don't have to switch boxes or have a tech come out to your house. Whether it will be automatic or you will have to request the change, I don't know.

I was also told that the reason that it hasn't been enabled is that it causes premature burnout given the extra heat. Translation... costs them a bunch in replacements. Seems odd that the rest of the country seems to have dual tuners enabled and I haven't heard of any problems.

post #223 of 549 Old 09-27-2005, 11:00 PM

Quote:

That's ONLY on the 6412, isn't it?

You are correct. But the good thing is, it's free!
(at least GCI hasn't charged me anything more for the 6412... hopefully it'll stay that way)
post #224 of 549 Old 09-27-2005, 11:15 PM

Quote:

Oh yeah... that was another thing I asked about since I have a 6412. I was told they are beta testing the dual tuner operation and it should be soon. We'll see. The upside is that it will be done remotely, you don't have to switch boxes or have a tech come out to your house. Whether it will be automatic or you will have to request the change, I don't know.

I was also told that the reason that it hasn't been enabled is that it causes premature burnout given the extra heat. Translation... costs them a bunch in replacements. Seems odd that the rest of the country seems to have dual tuners enabled and I haven't heard of any problems.

Okay, isn't that just a perfect admition of a problematic design of the product?

I have taken a liking to the term Space Heater for these stupid cable boxes. There really isn't any reason they need to be so damn hot. I can barely put my hand on the top of mine sometimes, and it sits by itself in the open. It appears that Motorola is using cheap power supplies, rather than more efficient switching power supplies.
post #225 of 549 Old 09-27-2005, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoWorm View Post

I have noticed drop audio on the non dvr digital box, but not within the last few weeks.

I will get picture pixelation on both of my cable boxes (HD & regular). SCI-FI on Friday nights are extremely bad during Stargate and Battlestar on the regular cable box. The mid season finale of Battlestar was in a stretch mode for some reason, the SCI-FI logo in the bottom right of the screen only showed SC.

652 will sometimes drop the picture / audio and display a pink screen for a second. Strange, hard to say if it is KTUU or GCI problem.

651 had some minor pixelation during the NASCAR race on Sunday. Yeah, why watch football in SD when you can watch a race in HD... any 4 or 11 lurkers paying attention?

I wonder if the stutter problems could be with the Moto DVR box?

Cheers

652 has been oddly reliable. Of course it can stutter when fading to black. But other than that, it hasn't been too bad. I've always been annoyed by TNT (651, now) because they play SO much SD material and stretch it. That's not HD, and if we could pick channels a la carte, I'd pass on that one.

I tend to think that some of the burps in playback are from line noise on the cable. HD obviously requires more data, so it's more susceptible to momentary blips. The blurry SD channels seem fairly reliable. I'm downtown, right between City Market and the Pioneer Home, by the way.

Any rumors of ACS trying IPTV? I thought MTA was attempting that?
post #226 of 549 Old 09-27-2005, 11:20 PM

Quote:

You are correct. But the good thing is, it's free!
(at least GCI hasn't charged me anything more for the 6412... hopefully it'll stay that way)

hahaha They must have missed that opportunity. Soon, they'll be charging a fee to use the display on the front of the box. hahaha
post #227 of 549 Old 09-27-2005, 11:22 PM

Quote:

I just spoke to the GM of KIMO and he said it would be about a year before they transmit a HD signal, he did confirmed that they are transmitting a EDTV signal now. I asked why they can't give GCI the ABC network feed in HD and was told that GCI will not take a signal that way and they don't want to give up the bandwidth on the cable tv until the station is broadcasting in HD. He did say that they will be testing a HD signal off and on and that one of the tests will be the superbowl. Hopefully GCI will carry it.

Cheers

I can understand KIMO's long rollout period. They seem to be struggling, at least it always appears that way.

EDTV is 480p, right?
post #228 of 549 Old 09-28-2005, 01:33 PM

ugh, I want some CBS/ABC in HD, not ED
post #229 of 549 Old 10-02-2005, 11:07 AM

Sat 9-24-05, I exchanged my 6208 box for a 6412 box. On Sun after the guide was populated, I created recurring recordings for the upcoming week for channel 652.

Sunday and Monday nights recordings worked, but when I looked at My Recordings late Thursday night, the recordings for Wed & Thu was from Channel 2. I still had not deleted Mon night recording from 652 and looking ahead that recurring recording was now scheduled to record channel 2.

Thursday night, I fixed all the recurring recordings back to channel 652. Checked again yesterday and they were scheduled to record channel 2.

Has anybody else noticed this?

When GCI changed TNTHD from 652 to 651, I did not have to change my recurring recordings, they automatically adjusted.

Could this problem exist because Channel 2 and Channel 652 has the same name?

I searched other forums without success, decided to post here for the GCI Anchorage readers.

Cheers
post #230 of 549 Old 10-02-2005, 11:15 AM

[quote=BraytonAK]I can understand KIMO's long rollout period. They seem to be struggling, at least it always appears that way.
QUOTE]

KTUU marketing should take advantage of HD broadcasting, get some advertising dollars from Schimek's, Pyramid and other high end dealers.

KTUU is the real Superstation in Alaska.

Cheers
post #231 of 549 Old 10-02-2005, 11:45 AM

Quote:

... Checked again yesterday and they were scheduled to record channel 2. Has anybody else noticed this?

Yes I have. I thought it was my mistake for recording the wrong channel even though I could have sworn I recorded 652. Now I see that I may not be going crazy after all. Have you called GCI about it?
post #232 of 549 Old 10-03-2005, 07:45 PM

Quote:

Yes I have. I thought it was my mistake for recording the wrong channel even though I could have sworn I recorded 652. Now I see that I may not be going crazy after all. Have you called GCI about it?

They changed again from Channel 652 to Channel 2...

Just got off the phone with GCI, tier 2 support said I was the first one to report that problem. They wanted to send a tech to the house and check the cable box settings. I said I couldn't wait for a 5 hour window. I explained that others have noticed the same thing. They are going to test it in there lab to see if they can duplicate the problem.

My suggestion is for all with the problem is to spend 20 mins and call GCI.

Now back to MNF in SD...

Cheers
post #233 of 549 Old 10-03-2005, 10:26 PM

At 6:30pm today I set my box to do a weekly recurring recording of 652 at 7pm on Mondays, which records Surface. It certainly recorded Surface in HD today, and looking at the Future Recordings list, it's still set to 652. Will have to keep an eye on it to see if it changes.
post #234 of 549 Old 10-05-2005, 08:57 AM

Called GCI. They "claimed" that hadn't heard of that problem before. Either they are lying or it was a new group of support people. We may have to exchange our DVRs if we're the only ones with this issue...
post #235 of 549 Old 10-05-2005, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's a question of a different sort.... I've got the 6412 and a plasma monitor that does not generate closed captions. In order to use cc on the 6412, I have to go into the setup menu to turn them on or off. I was told one of the more knowledgable reps in the Northern Lights store that there is a way to configure so you can turn cc on/off with the remote.

Well, I had a tech come out at the store's recommendation and he hadn't heard of such a thing.

Anyone have any info on this?

Thanks........

post #236 of 549 Old 10-05-2005, 12:47 PM

Quote:

Here's a question of a different sort.... I've got the 6412 and a plasma monitor that does not generate closed captions. In order to use cc on the 6412, I have to go into the setup menu to turn them on or off.
Anyone have any info on this?

a quick google search didn't turn anything up... expect everyone complaining how kludgey it is to turn CC on and off.

Where did you get your A/V cabinet? Looks nice. Is it open on the back side? How is the ventilation?

Cheers
post #237 of 549 Old 10-05-2005, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Called GCI. They "claimed" that hadn't heard of that problem before. Either they are lying or it was a new group of support people. We may have to exchange our DVRs if we're the only ones with this issue...

It has been documented that Comcast has the same problem. This site has a proposed solution...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_6412

Cheers
post #238 of 549 Old 10-05-2005, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

a quick google search didn't turn anything up... expect everyone complaining how kludgey it is to turn CC on and off.

Where did you get your A/V cabinet? Looks nice. Is it open on the back side? How is the ventilation?

Thanks for trying. I've been searching and asking to no avail. I think it will have to be a design change (maybe just firmware), if they ever decide to do it.

I got my console at Fred Meyer for less than $250 as a kit. I put it together and finished it myself. I cut a few inches off the legs and attached the casters on my own. I also put in black window screen instead of the glass in the doors. It came with a back panel, but I didn't install it, leaving the back open. That, combined with the screen in front, makes for very good ventilation.

Fred's still has this unit available. In fact, it is part of a set. You can also get tall shelves for one or both sides, optional solid doors for the shelves and a bridge for the top.

Here's the manufacturer's photo of the complete set:
http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/5...console2uy.jpg

post #239 of 549 Old 10-06-2005, 11:33 AM

657 (KAKM) is up! woot 2 down 3 to go. It's nice to see some progress anyway.

On another note, anyone successfully using MythTV and Firewire on their 6208? Apparently it is working for some, but I've been unable to get things up using KnoppMyth.
post #240 of 549 Old 10-06-2005, 06:19 PM

Liked: 12
Yeah, but which KAKM is on GCI? They have a Hi-Def KAKM, and a low-def KAKM which consists of the normal programs on the analog channel 7. Not sure what the 3rd KAKM channel is -- it's always showing color bars when I check it. In some parts of the country they have educational stuff part of the day.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page