Anchorage, AK - HDTV - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 549 Old 10-09-2005, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not exactly sure, but the programming is different than channel 7 and seems like pretty good picture quality to me.

On another note, I've installed MythTV over Linux Fedora Core 4 and it works beautifully with the firewire connection on my DCT-6208, even changes channels properly. HD content playback is pretty good with my Nvidia GF4 Ti4200 and A64 3500+. Still working on getting the right modelines for my Hitachi 51F500, so if anyone out there can give me some pointers on this I'd be extremely appreciative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 549 Old 10-10-2005, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post

Here's a question of a different sort.... I've got the 6412 and a plasma monitor that does not generate closed captions. In order to use cc on the 6412, I have to go into the setup menu to turn them on or off.

Isn't it a legal requirement that all televisions have to be capable of displaying closed captioning on their own? This is something that happened back in the mid 90's. Is your Plasma display Industrial, or does it not do CC on every input? That's a very strange limitation, considering the legalities.
post #243 of 549 Old 10-10-2005, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraytonAK View Post

Isn't it a legal requirement that all televisions have to be capable of displaying closed captioning on their own? This is something that happened back in the mid 90's. Is your Plasma display Industrial, or does it not do CC on every input? That's a very strange limitation, considering the legalities.

If it is just a monitor with no tuner built in, then it doesn't have to have CC. Any STB is required to decode and display CC.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #244 of 549 Old 10-10-2005, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

If it is just a monitor with no tuner built in, then it doesn't have to have CC. Any STB is required to decode and display CC.

Yeah, that's what I meant by "Industrial". Monitor vs TV with Tuner. I know some people have bought the Monitors instead of sets with tuners because they're cheaper.
post #245 of 549 Old 10-10-2005, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Regarding CC...... The Pio TVs will decode CC through antenna, composite, and maybe S-Video, not through component or HDMI.

My kludge may be to run the STB to two inputs, HDMI and composite. I'll watch HDMI and when CC is needed, switch to the composite input. Better than messing with the settings on the STB unless it's a good quality feature movie or something.

Hopefully a future STB will allow turning CC on and off with the remote in the future, particularly since more TVs won't do it as well with digital inputs.

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

post #246 of 549 Old 10-10-2005, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acruxksa View Post

Not exactly sure, but the programming is different than channel 7 and seems like pretty good picture quality to me.

657 is very good quality! Unfortuately they seem to be among the worst offenders with their stationary logo always showing in white!

post #247 of 549 Old 10-13-2005, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know anything about GCI and the new revision of the Moto 6412 called "Phase III" (as shown in this thread)?

It has HDMI out and RF out as well as some reported improvement in SD PQ.

I would like all three of these things. The RF output would help with my closed caption dilemma.

post #248 of 549 Old 10-13-2005, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post

Anyone know anything about GCI and the new revision of the Moto 6412 ...

This is the first I've heard of the new box. Nice to see them doing upgrades to it. Would be even nicer if GCI jumped on the bandwagon....I'm not holding my breath.
post #249 of 549 Old 10-22-2005, 03:19 AM

I heard that GCI is about to dump the low-end moto box for something else entirely.. Not sure if thats true for people who want HD or DVR.
post #250 of 549 Old 10-31-2005, 07:22 PM

Got snail mail from GCI today. They are enabling the dual tuner and I-Guide on Nov 1!
post #251 of 549 Old 11-01-2005, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoWorm View Post

Got snail mail from GCI today. They are enabling the dual tuner and I-Guide on Nov 1!

This also was told to me today by a CSR and the Tech who came to my house and swapped out my box. (dual tuner)

I was having the audio/video dropouts some of the other posters here have talked about.

The Tech said he thinks the problem is with one of their fiber nodes, (hillside area) but swapped the box anyway. He said alot of folks were having this issue.

Some people just need their own planet!
post #252 of 549 Old 11-01-2005, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoWorm View Post

I see the change in the TV Guide but not sure about the tuner yet. What's the easiest way to tell if it's enabled?

I generally like the new Guide, but I'm not crazy about the placement of the fast forward indicator. It's good to have, but why not at the very bottom or very top?

post #253 of 549 Old 11-01-2005, 07:55 PM

My fast forward indicator comes up at the bottom of the screen. Maybe you can change a setting on yours?

I was fairly happy with the upgraded firmware/software on the 6412 until about 10 min ago when I tried to use my skip button. Now I'm pissed... They removed the skip function. It appears that GCI is not the only cable provider to do this. There are a lot of people on other threads complaining about comcast doing the same thing. DAMN!!!
Anyone else notice this?
post #254 of 549 Old 11-01-2005, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post

My fast forward indicator comes up at the bottom of the screen. Maybe you can change a setting on yours?

I was fairly happy with the upgraded firmware/software on the 6412 until about 10 min ago when I tried to use my skip button. Now I'm pissed... They removed the skip function. It appears that GCI is not the only cable provider to do this. There are a lot of people on other threads complaining about comcast doing the same thing. DAMN!!!
Anyone else notice this?

Thanks for pointing out the indicator location. I'll fool with the settings.

I haven't used the skip function. I always use fast forward since you can press it twice and move along pretty quickly.

post #255 of 549 Old 11-10-2005, 12:19 AM

So is this I-Guide only for certain models? I don't have a dual tuner or a new guide at all. My box is the 80 GB version. I've been thinking of exchanging it because of the %@#*& audio dropouts and skipping...and pixelization. I just need to get my HD recordings transfered to DVD before I take it in, though. Fun stuff.
post #256 of 549 Old 11-10-2005, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So is this I-Guide only for certain models? I don't have a dual tuner or a new guide at all. My box is the 80 GB version. I've been thinking of exchanging it because of the %@#*& audio dropouts and skipping...and pixelization. I just need to get my HD recordings transfered to DVD before I take it in, though. Fun stuff.

It may only be for the 6412. You have the 6408? I think I have a 120GB drive.

How are you transferring to DVD from the STB?

post #257 of 549 Old 11-10-2005, 09:05 AM

Quote:

GCI CSR told me the other STB's would have the software upgrade around the 15th of November.

Some people just need their own planet!
post #258 of 549 Old 11-18-2005, 12:39 PM

was watching TV @ around 4:15 this morning when box shut off and the LED was flashing "DL". After a while turned back on with the new i-guide =). (DCT6208 Box)

From playing around with it so far seems much better than the old guide. Channel switches occur almost instantanous now instead of waiting 1-1.5 seconds. Also, skip is removed (as someone else mentioned) but the FF is *WAY* better. I like the length of program indicator tivostyle bar on the bottom as well.

Only bad thing i guess is the removal of skip and my page up and page down keys on the remote no longer seem to work. Oh well
post #259 of 549 Old 11-18-2005, 08:04 PM

Well, I was liking it, till that enormous ad banner popped up on the bottom of the guide eliminating an entire channel of viewability from the screen.
heh, oh well
post #260 of 549 Old 11-18-2005, 09:28 PM

I like the iGuide for the most part. It's still not nearly as easy as the Tivo, but at least I can live with it now. I have to agree that it was better before that huge Ad showed up at the bottom of the guide. My box lacks the Dual Tuner function, but I can tell that it's there now. (Pressing A/B on the front panel lights up the A/B light.)

Justin: Did you have your remote customized or something? My Harmony remote still makes the Page Up / Page Down function work. Although the Favourite view is not a default of the Guide yet, it is easier to get to. The Quick Menu seems to remember what you last used, so if you want to use the Favourites view of the Guide, you can just push Menu and then Select to get to that mode. I'd prefer it to be a setting on the Guide, rather than a separate function. But it's easier to get to now.

The channel changing speed has definitely improved, and not just on the SD channels. Although time will tell if the skipping, stuttering and pixelization are fixed, it seems good so far today.

The stupid Ads that were on the Info bar are gone, and the display-time for the "flip bar" is now adjustable down to 2 seconds. I wouldn't mind if it never displayed, only showing the Progress Bar instead, but I don't run GCI.
post #261 of 549 Old 11-19-2005, 01:46 AM

Brayton: Still using the same remote GCI gave me, don't know which model it is, but its definately different than the standard remote which GCI bundles with the regular GE Digital Boxes (the remotes with the flip down casing on the bottom).

Mine has a green list button and an "a" "b" and "c" button if that helps.
I'll probably be picking up either the Universal Media remote or the Logitech Harmony when I get my Xbox 360 on Tuesday morning
Maybe that will restore my page up/down functionality
post #262 of 549 Old 11-19-2005, 02:24 AM

12:23 am right now, watching tv and the ad bar on the bottom is gone

Wonder if GCI only displays the ad banner during the afternoon/evening
post #263 of 549 Old 11-19-2005, 09:39 AM

7:30am and my ad bar is gone too...
Nice!

I'm surprised more people don't miss the skip. Yes, the FF is much faster than it used to be, but I find it really hard to stop right at the end of the commercials.
post #264 of 549 Old 11-19-2005, 11:31 AM

I'm sure they removed "Skip" because advertisers don't like it. The fast forward and rewind on the box is definitely not like a Tivo in that it's literal. The Tivo compensates for your reaction time by jumping back or forward once you hit Play again. ie, Press FF three times to zip through something, then when you hit Play, the Tivo will jump back to where it would have been when you actually started to press play. Compensation for reaction times, in either direction.

I use the Logitech Harmony 880 for my system. I like that the setup guide will let you find buttons that you didn't know existed for a component. :-)
post #265 of 549 Old 11-21-2005, 06:54 PM

Does anybody here use DTV/Dish for thier cable and what do you think of it? I currently don't have cable tv, but I've been debating about getting a service, just not sure which one it will be at the moment. I was also thinking about getting Clearwire for broadband.

One more question. Is there any sort of TV/AVS club/meeting here in Anchorage? Anybody interested?

Thanks,

Lee
post #266 of 549 Old 11-23-2005, 08:51 PM

im interested

HLR-6168
Onkyo 670 HTIB
Moto 6208 STB
HTPC
post #267 of 549 Old 11-23-2005, 08:52 PM

Justin K i sent you a message a few weeks ago and you didnt respond. It was about recording from the STB via firewire. Did you get it?

HLR-6168
Onkyo 670 HTIB
Moto 6208 STB
HTPC
post #268 of 549 Old 11-23-2005, 09:35 PM

I live in Eagle River and want to see what Hidef OTA broadcasts look like on my set. If i go to radioshack what do i need and how do i receive the channels OTA?

HLR-6168
Onkyo 670 HTIB
Moto 6208 STB
HTPC
post #269 of 549 Old 11-23-2005, 10:29 PM

anyone have one of the 1080p sets yet.

HLR-6168
Onkyo 670 HTIB
Moto 6208 STB
HTPC
post #270 of 549 Old 11-25-2005, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minime9us View Post

Justin K i sent you a message a few weeks ago and you didnt respond. It was about recording from the STB via firewire. Did you get it?

pm sent
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page