Forum Jump: 

post #3511 of 3820 Old 08-22-2011, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashman2 View Post

It's a guess, but they may be waiting until the new TV season kicks off in late September to debut everything.
WZTV is also going with HD news, also soon.

I wish the new set was less traditional, not much "wow" factor. Still, it looks far better than WSMV's set.

I've always thought WSMV's HD set was inspired by the elevators at The Cool Springs Galleria. The stone is pretty much an exact match. Not good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 3820 Old 08-23-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romer979fm View Post

I've always thought WSMV's HD set was inspired by the elevators at The Cool Springs Galleria. The stone is pretty much an exact match. Not good.

That is exactly what it reminds me of too!
post #3513 of 3820 Old 08-23-2011, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashDigie View Post
WKRN is making the switch to HD News. They have been posting pictures of the new HD news set on facebook. You can click here to see it.
About time! I mean, HD broadcasts have been around for over a decade now, SD TVs haven't been available for sale in years and even the digital transition seems like ancient history now.

Last summer I was waiting in line at the Green Hills AT&T store for an iPhone 4 on launch day and WKRN was there to cover the story and interview people. I pulled one of the cameramen aside and joked "so, which of you guys will be last to HD, WKRN or WZTV?" He burst out laughing and then said "I dunno, not sure when they are going to do it!". Well at least it looks like it's finally going to happen. And at least the process is underway enough for them to handle an self-produced HD live broadcast on the road.

Rick
post #3514 of 3820 Old 08-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Good View Post

I have both a Tivo HD and Tivo Premiere, each with an M cablecard in them. I am now missing the following HD channels, when I was receiving them since the 4-digit channels started a few weeks ago.

1530 ABCFamily HD
1341 Style HD
1325 Game Show Network HD
1290 HGTV HD
1270 History HD
1240 Universal HD
1225 BBC America HD
1222 G4 HD
1206 TNT HD

Should I even both calling Comcast? Or just wait for them to sort things out, since it seems it isn't just me?

This weekend, some channels have gone missing again, more than last time! Here is what is not showing up on either of my TiVoHDs with CableCards using Comcast cable:

59 TV Land
1014 MyTV 30
1018 The CW
1111 Weather Channel HD
1205 USA HD
1209 Spike HD
1221 Comedy Channel HD
1222 G4 HD
1242 HD Theater
1250 Discovery HD
1260 Animal Planet HD
1270 History Ch. HD
1305 Lifetime HD
1341 Style HD
1405 MTV HD
1406 VH1 HD
1421 Palladium HD
1521 Nick HD

Anyone else in Nashville having a similar experience the past couple of days?

Roger Ebert--"This is one more pathetic example of the dumbing of America--to show the films in the wrong aspect ratio to placate the stupid, instead of in the right aspect ratio to reward the knowledgeable."
post #3515 of 3820 Old 08-29-2011, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Anyone else in Nashville having a similar experience the past couple of days?

I'm getting all of those fine in both my TiVos.
post #3516 of 3820 Old 09-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Went out of town for two days. Returned to nearly all channels on both Tivos gone. Only getting PBSHD and ionHD. Everything else gone. Troubleshooting with Comcast by phone proved useless; they sent pairing signals to both Tivos then pressed me to set up service call. Yes, they're coming tomorrow.

Odds of both units and/or both cable cards failing in exactly the same way at same time is nil. On a hunch, I checked signal strength on both units with Tivo's built-in meter. One is at 41% other at 48%. Normally I get high 80s to low 90s on these, so something is up. Nothing inside the house has changed, so something is wonky on the line to house or further up street, though Comcast insists that everything looks good on their end...

Ugh.

Roger Ebert--"This is one more pathetic example of the dumbing of America--to show the films in the wrong aspect ratio to placate the stupid, instead of in the right aspect ratio to reward the knowledgeable."
post #3517 of 3820 Old 09-01-2011, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
About a month ago I had to have a service call cause my internet was screwing up. The reason the tech gave sounded potentially valid and it may hold true for you also. He had to change out some splitters at the pole as well as some of the cabling. He said with the heat during the summers, over the course of several years the cables can expand and contract making the connections less than ideal. With the whole cliff effect that's what could be happening with you losing the signal strength like you did. Could be just under that threshold.
post #3518 of 3820 Old 09-02-2011, 06:13 AM

It sounds kind of odd to me that you would lose everything over the course of a few days. My bet is a squirrel has been chewing on the cable.

Do you have Comcast internet service? If so, how is it doing?
post #3519 of 3820 Old 09-02-2011, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, I have Comcast internet, which seems to be running fine, but then again... I don't download/upload lots of big files, Netflix, or intensive stuff. Websurfing and email doesn't need lots of bandwidth...

All channels are back today, but signal strength meter shows mid-60s to low 70s now, and fluctuates from channel to channel. Also, looking at the TiVo's Cablecard diagnostics and status screens, the tuner flickers from saying QAM256 (which is what it should be, I think) to QAM64. Weird, huh?

As for squirrels... yes, our landline phone service was intermittent for a couple of weeks, and Bellsouth came out to replace line from house to pole. Chewed up by squirrels. Service was better, then went out sporadically again. They came out again, and guy ended up staying on street all day, and replaced nearly a quarter mile of line on our road. He said he'd never seen so much squirrel damage in one place.

post #3520 of 3820 Old 09-02-2011, 09:29 AM

I had the internet go out once but TV was fine. I was told by the Comcast service person when the cable becomes dinner for the squirrels, the internet is the first to go because it is more sensitive. Since your internet is fine, must not be the squirrels.
post #3521 of 3820 Old 09-02-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Yesterday I noticed on every station I was watching (MLBHD, HIHD, ESPNHD, and a few others) the pic would 'stutter' and 'catch up' to live action. Did anyone else see this yesterday? I'll check again tonight to see if it's still doing it.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #3522 of 3820 Old 09-02-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know why (i've tried two units) I have one TV using the small cable adapter switch-box (the deck of cards size box in order to get cable on my smaller LCD) that fails to get all the stations? It keeps giving me an error and to call but Comcast said (after sending hits to it) that it's the unit, get a new one. I had another one I hadn't used yet and same thing: missing channels. MTV and others and they are not sequential (meaning it's not one continuous block of stations). I'm using the coax from the little box directly to my TV. Does anyone know what is "really" going on with this? Prior to these new boxes I split the incoming line since the TV has two tuners and on one tuner I got the HD stations and digital stations (music channels etc) while the other input got basic cable. Now no HD or digital stations (if i switch to that input the TV freezes and I have to turn it off and on again). In other words, I got all the stations before this little box entered my life and now I have missing channels (and i miss the HD!)

post #3523 of 3820 Old 09-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, I have Comcast internet, which seems to be running fine, but then again... I don't download/upload lots of big files, Netflix, or intensive stuff. Websurfing and email doesn't need lots of bandwidth...

All channels are back today, but signal strength meter shows mid-60s to low 70s now, and fluctuates from channel to channel. Also, looking at the TiVo's Cablecard diagnostics and status screens, the tuner flickers from saying QAM256 (which is what it should be, I think) to QAM64. Weird, huh?

As for squirrels... yes, our landline phone service was intermittent for a couple of weeks, and Bellsouth came out to replace line from house to pole. Chewed up by squirrels. Service was better, then went out sporadically again. They came out again, and guy ended up staying on street all day, and replaced nearly a quarter mile of line on our road. He said he'd never seen so much squirrel damage in one place.

Comcast dropped another line from the street. It was one cable with a 2-way splitter... one for TV one for internet. Now I have one dedicated to the cable modem, which was getting lower than expected signal before, but I hadn't noticed... it was still fast enough for me. The other cable is for my 4 TVs. Also replaced the 4-way splitter itself, which had crapped out, evidently. All okay now!

post #3524 of 3820 Old 09-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

I have not been following along lately and the word Tivo appears all over the place in the thread when I search.

Is the rental Tivo available yet from Comcast Nashville? A Tivo owning friend just got a new HDTV and is deciding between upgrading to a Premier or renting a DVR from Comcast. Renting a Tivo (for the same price) might be a better option.

http://www.comcast.com/tivo/

Thanks!
post #3525 of 3820 Old 09-06-2011, 03:19 PM

I don't think Comcast ever offered those TiVo softwared boxes in Nashville and I believe they have even abandoned that venture altogether.
post #3526 of 3820 Old 09-07-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Comcast and Tivo dissolved their relationship. Tivo is now producing a new unit for direct sales (a new quad tuner only valid for digital or FIOS locations).
http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/07/t...rage-to-retai/

post #3527 of 3820 Old 09-12-2011, 02:03 PM

i would go back to comcast if they would pick up all the subchannels of WRTN.. not worth it if they never do....
post #3528 of 3820 Old 09-17-2011, 08:12 AM
csd

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So my guide just added Fox Soccer Channel HD, Fox Soccer Plus HD, and GOLTV HD on 1653, 1654, and 1656. There's no signal on them however. Anyone know anything?

charlie
post #3529 of 3820 Old 09-17-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd View Post

So my guide just added Fox Soccer Channel HD, Fox Soccer Plus HD, and GOLTV HD on 1653, 1654, and 1656. There's no signal on them however. Anyone know anything?

None of those channels show up on my guide in Bellevue.
post #3530 of 3820 Old 09-19-2011, 05:30 AM

When the 3 digit HDs go away - what happens to the SD channels currently scattered among them?
Namely what about the premium (HBO, ect.) SD versions?

The 4 digit HDs don't stand a chance until the 3 digit HDs go away - at least in my house.

A real problem we have is trying to enter the 4 digits on older (or more heavily used) remotes. I am tired of ending up on 118 instead of 1108 or worse 10 instead of 1004. I'm uncoordinated, but not that uncoordinated.

The loss of the 10 premium HD movie channels has been a bigger blow than I thought it would be - again - in my house. The fact that the SD versions don't still follow the 4 digit HBOs, ect. has really made the perception of the loss much bigger. The complaints of cost verses benefits is starting to gain weight.
The reality that the content is still available - OnDemand, doesn't matter. The OnDemand menu is slow and clunky - especially in an ipad world.

I can't complain about the channels themselves. There are still a few I'd like to have but overall I'm happy. My picture quality is good.

What I'd like to see is a final, overall, not gonna change for a while, list of channels. A hard copy, from Comcast, sorry - xfinity, would be nice.
post #3531 of 3820 Old 09-22-2011, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I hate that they put AMC in sandwiched between the sports channels and the start of the premium channels.

I also hate that they made up new channel numbers instead of adding 10 in front of the 2-99 numbers we all know and love.
post #3532 of 3820 Old 09-28-2011, 03:15 PM

Does anyone know when news2 is going HD w/their newscasts?
post #3533 of 3820 Old 09-29-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer2006 View Post

There has to have been some kind of technical issue because the set appears to be long finished. Channels 17 and 4 have long since debuted their new sets, which appeared to have been constructed at the same time.

Check the WKRN facebook page as well as Neil Orne's (WKRN) facebook page. He has let a few clues out about the changes, but not many.
post #3534 of 3820 Old 10-02-2011, 08:54 PM

Any reason my signal strength is high?

I don't have a cable box, just basic cable and a DOCSIS3 modem (Zoom 5341) with cable running straight from the -3.5dB port on the splitter to the modem. Signal strength usually was 0dB up to a few dB positive in colder days but I just happened to be checking today and it's in the teens.

Code:
Scanning start frequency:       999000000 Hz
Channel Frequency:      710998047 Hz    698999878 Hz    705001221 Hz    716999268 Hz
Modulation:     256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM
Signal strength:     13.3663 dBmV    12.4606 dBmV    12.5711 dBmV    13.3846 dBmV
Signal noise ratio:     37.356 dB       36.844 dB       37.093 dB       37.356 dB
I've read that -15dB to 15dB is acceptable. Tomorrow I guess I'll take out the splitter and go straight to the modem and check the signal. Speeds are fine, I just don't want anything burned up.

I have noticed that every so often, when watching TV, the video and audio pop and drop out but come back in normally. Not sure if that would be related.
post #3535 of 3820 Old 10-06-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer2006 View Post

Neil Orne mentioned on his WKRN facebook page that Wednesday morning's show was his last (Wed. show) using the old studio. So sometime in the next week...
post #3536 of 3820 Old 10-07-2011, 08:19 AM

I just called comcast to see if they offer HD feeds of Center Ice games in Nashville. I was told they don't even have the service for us to even order it if we wanted too. The rep told me to wait a few days and I might be able to order it. She also told me that there is NO HD feeds of any of the games on Center Ice in our area. Is this true? I find it hard to beleive that rep don't even have info bout CI but she had info about that. I did notice that Toronto game last night was only in SD. I am new to the area and I had DTV before and I could get any game I wanted in HD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #3537 of 3820 Old 10-07-2011, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyeox View Post

I just called comcast to see if they offer HD feeds of Center Ice games in Nashville. I was told they don't even have the service for us to even order it if we wanted too. The rep told me to wait a few days and I might be able to order it. She also told me that there is NO HD feeds of any of the games on Center Ice in our area. Is this true? I find it hard to beleive that rep don't even have info bout CI but she had info about that. I did notice that Toronto game last night was only in SD. I am new to the area and I had DTV before and I could get any game I wanted in HD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

VersusHD (VS) shows a lot of NHL games in HD as well as the HDNHL channel.

post #3538 of 3820 Old 10-07-2011, 12:30 PM

Any word on Xbox TV with Comcast in Nashville? I've seen that AT&T will be using the Xbox as a set-top box so U-Verse subscribers will no longer need to rent a box but I guess your savings there depends on if you already pay for Xbox Live.

I know that you'll need to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold ($60/year) to access the Xbox TV service but what level of service will Comcast require to interface with the Xbox?
post #3539 of 3820 Old 10-07-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoye View Post

Any word on Xbox TV with Comcast in Nashville? I've seen that AT&T will be using the Xbox as a set-top box so U-Verse subscribers will no longer need to rent a box but I guess your savings there depends on if you already pay for Xbox Live.

I know that you'll need to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold ($60/year) to access the Xbox TV service but what level of service will Comcast require to interface with the Xbox?

It will be Xfinity that will be available through the XBOX 360 but it was just announced that in the future Xfinity will be available via other platforms including the PS3. When will we get it here? Dunno. But I'll wait for the PS3 since that's no additional charge since I have both the PS3 and XBOX 360 but don't have nor wish to have an additional charge per year/month by having to get the Live Gold membership. We have HDTIvo's so getting access to the OD stuff will be welcomed (and the PS3 supports 3D).

post #3540 of 3820 Old 10-07-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
This is all news to me, but seems like good news!

What function will the ps3 play? Just a simple tv cable box or dvr or ???
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page