Forum Jump: 

post #3751 of 3802 Old 10-15-2013, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by McTNN View Post

It is amazing how much the cost of cable has risen since Intermedia first came to Nashville 30 years ago. Does anyone else remember when the entire bill including misc fees was $9.95?

Yes, I do, McTNN!

After Intermedia, I believe there was Viacom, and then Comcast?

Technology has improved, with internet access, VOD, etc.; but the cost is driving me back to OTA.

What bothers me is loyal customers do not get any loyalty from Comcast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 3802 Old 10-16-2013, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think a lot of people feel the same way. Not everyone wants to pay $100/mo. for 200 channels when they watch maybe five. What's funny is more and more customers decide to drop cable each year due to high prices and Comcast's answer is to raise rates even more to make up for the shortfall.

Here is a good analysis of the situation.....

http://www.tvpredictions.com/comcast080113.htm

Comcast reported that it lost 159,000 video subscribers in the second quarter of 2013

"Comcast had 25.1 million video subscribers in October 2008. But it has since lost 3.3 million, dropping its overall total to 21.8 million."

"In recent months, Comcast officials have struggled to explain the losses suggesting everything from rate increases to housing issues are at fault. But the company's rivals face the same problems and, as we noted, it doesn't seem to stop DIRECTV and the telcos from adding subs. Although DIRECTV did lose 84,000 subs in the second quarter"

"Comcast has tried several things to appeal to TV fans, such as bolstering its HD lineup in smaller markets and launching a new set-top box that promises faster service, more program recommendations and social media features. But it doesn't seem to be working."
post #3753 of 3802 Old 10-29-2013, 11:07 AM

Liked: 13
Has anyone ever been told that you can't take your cable boxes from one zip code to another? I just moved from Brentwood to Franklin and On Demand stopped working the other day. I called customer service and they said I need to take my boxes back and get new boxes since they won't work switching zip codes. I have never heard of such. That really goes against the "Mover's Edge" program that tells you to take the equipment with you. Morons!
post #3754 of 3802 Old 11-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Strange thing just happened last night. I have two TiVo units with CableCards (one Series 3 HD and a Premiere). I noticed last night that the Series 3 HD unit lost about half of the HD channels it used to have. Seems pretty random: History HD is gone, but History HD2 is still there. USA and Sci-Fi gone, but Travel is there. Most of the local affiliates are there but not CW or MyTV30. The Premiere unit is not having this issue at all--no channels missing. Do I have a failing CableCard? It is about 8 - 9 years old. When I do a channel strength on the missing channels, I get 0%. Remaining channels are anywhere from 44 - 70%, which also is lower than I once had. Nothing has changed in wiring outside or inside house.

Any thoughts?

Steven

Roger Ebert--"This is one more pathetic example of the dumbing of America--to show the films in the wrong aspect ratio to placate the stupid, instead of in the right aspect ratio to reward the knowledgeable."
post #3755 of 3802 Old 12-03-2013, 08:22 AM

Liked: 11
Xfinity on Demand and Tivo

About a zillion years ago, then-Comcast promised that their on demand service would be coming to Tivo boxes. It's in about two dozen markets (http://www.tivo.com/discover/cable), but not here.

What's the hold-up? COMCAST TAKE MAH ON DEMAND MONEY.
post #3756 of 3802 Old 12-03-2013, 08:25 AM

Steven, see my post on the previous page. They ended up having to roll a truck to my house to fix the issue, and since it was at least partially due to the poorly buried cable outside, it was a $0 fee for me. Make the argument that you're not getting what you're paying for. smile.gif
post #3757 of 3802 Old 01-03-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ever since the Sugar Bowl last night, ESPN HD sounds absolutely terrible. Its crackling and sounds like a 64 kbps mp3 file. It doesnt affect any of the other ESPN channels, just the main one. Please tell me you guys have noticed this, how do we get this fixed??
post #3758 of 3802 Old 01-03-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

Ever since the Sugar Bowl last night, ESPN HD sounds absolutely terrible. Its crackling and sounds like a 64 kbps mp3 file. It doesnt affect any of the other ESPN channels, just the main one. Please tell me you guys have noticed this, how do we get this fixed??

YES! I thought it was my speakers since I was like "is my center channel cracking?". So it's not just me. I heard it before the Sugar Bowl while watching PTI and ATH.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #3759 of 3802 Old 01-13-2014, 11:39 AM

I don't suppose there is a plan for Comcast to pick up Fox Sports 2. I just saw where "2" will televise the Continental Tire Challenge Series races on the day of the race but doesn't look like we get to watch it.
post #3760 of 3802 Old 01-15-2014, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Comcast to begin encrypting Limited Basic on February 25, 2014 in the Nashville market. (see last page of most recent bill for the notice which I will attach below)

post #3761 of 3802 Old 01-17-2014, 07:19 PM

Well it looks like I won't be getting basic local channels through coax then. I only have the business class internet into my home and right now I am able to get basic local channels through the coax. Once they start to encrypt it I will have to go to other means to watch local channels.
post #3762 of 3802 Old 01-20-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Why don't you buy an antenna? That way you'll get all the local stations and, in some cases, the quality is better then Comcast/cable. Go here to find out what antenna works best: http://www.antennaweb.org/

post #3763 of 3802 Old 01-21-2014, 11:48 AM

2014Comcast_Nashville_Channel_Lineup_Packages.pdf 1001k .pdf file

2014 Comcast Nashville Channel Lineup and Packages
Wryker likes this.
post #3764 of 3802 Old 01-21-2014, 02:37 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyeox View Post

Well it looks like I won't be getting basic local channels through coax then. I only have the business class internet into my home and right now I am able to get basic local channels through the coax. Once they start to encrypt it I will have to go to other means to watch local channels.

You mean pay for what everyone else has been for years?

I'm so glad they're finally encrypting signals, and putting the thieves (of which you're one) out of business.
post #3765 of 3802 Old 01-22-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolesmagic View Post

You mean pay for what everyone else has been for years?

I'm so glad they're finally encrypting signals, and putting the thieves (of which you're one) out of business.

First off you need to quit calling me a thief when I am not. How do you figure? All I am doing is getting the same local channels that you get over an antenna without having to worry about the hassle of moving the antenna every five minutes. It's people like you that I can't stand. Jumping to conclusions that I am ripping off Comcast. I have been a loyal Comcast subscriber for years. I feel it's ridiculous they are encrypting free over the air channels anyway!! It's not like I am getting channels that I wouldn't get if I had an antenna hooked up. If you pay for local channels then your an idiot. I will just use an antenna when they start encrypting them. It's just easier using the coax coming out from my wall.

Also if you read the letter, it states I have to pay for equipment just to watch over the air channels. That is my problem.
post #3766 of 3802 Old 01-22-2014, 07:40 AM

You are not entitled to local channels over Comcast wires. Comcast pays to receive the signal of those channels. Comcast charges for a service you are receiving for free. You are stealing service. You are a thief.

Most of the people complaining about encryption are just like you, thinking they're entitled to receive something free that other people pay for.
post #3767 of 3802 Old 01-22-2014, 11:47 AM

Sir-- You are a horses A$$. Comcrap is required by federal law to provide you with your local stations at no add'l. charge
post #3768 of 3802 Old 01-22-2014, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
That is not true. The law was changed to allow them to encrypt all channels (even local) recently -- which most systems are now doing.

There has never been a law that says they were supposed to provide you with local channels for free.
post #3769 of 3802 Old 01-22-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus511 View Post

Sir-- You are a horses A$$. Comcrap is required by federal law to provide you with your local stations at no add'l. charge

That has never existed as a law.

The only laws that exist (and they only exist in some locales) regulate the cost of broadcast TV service. Never has it been given to anyone for free.
post #3770 of 3802 Old 01-22-2014, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolesmagic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus511 View Post

... [humongous cable company] is required by federal law to provide you with your local stations at no add'l. charge

That has never existed as a law.

The only laws that exist (and they only exist in some locales) regulate the cost of broadcast TV service. Never has it been given to anyone for free.

You're right, and in many places the cable companies charge twenty dollars (or more) per month for that very basic package (typically the local stations along with some public access and governmental affairs channels) that exists only because federal law mandates that the cable company must offer such a package.

The law is very weak and is set up to benefit the cable companies.

In most cases, local governments do not have the right to regulate those rates, even though there is typically only one cable company in an area.

The law says, if I understand it correctly, that if there is any "significant competition" for the cable company, then the local government cannot regulate the rates for that package.  Because the availability of satellite TV is considered "significant competition" in most locations, the local government rarely has any power to cap prices, though it may have some small amount of power to regulate some aspects of the service.

In some states, the state legislature has taken away all local power and decided that any regulation has to be done at the state level. Often this happens in states that love big business and don't care about consumers.

post #3771 of 3802 Old 01-22-2014, 06:23 PM

If anyone is curious, here is a link to the FCC ruling that allows Comcast to encrypt our limited basic cable channels. Since 1994, they were required to transmit those channels (mainly the broadcast networks) in an unencrypted form. Now, no more.

http://www.fcc.gov/document/commission-relaxes-cable-encryption-prohibition

I currently subscribe to digital cable and have a box plugged into my main TV. In my two bedrooms, I have TVs plugged directly into the wall where I have been getting limited basic channels for years. For what it's worth, the Comcast tech who did my install back in the day said this was perfectly fine.

When I called to get my adapters, I was told the letter is in error. If you have digital cable of any type, you are entitled to zero free adapters. When I sent Comcast a copy of the letter, they apologized but told me the letter was incorrect. They offered me $5 off for six months. Disappointing but better than nothing I guess.
post #3772 of 3802 Old 02-12-2014, 08:08 AM

Hey folks,
I have always had a couple of HD channels that always displayed the S0a00 error, but they were channels that we never ever watched - MTV for instance.
In the past couple of months we have had this S0a00 error show up on many more channels and at different times. NBCSN is the main one that has been an issue. Within the last week, I have gotten the error on Discovery, NatGeo and a couple of others also - when I have wanted to watch them!!!! Programs set to record on these channels might record, but end up badly pixelated and unwatchable, or not record at all. Goggling the S0a00 error is no good as it seems the only remedy is tightening the connections - which I have checked.
I am assuming that calling Comcast will do not good - does that ever do any good?
Anyone with any good advice?
Thanks
post #3773 of 3802 Old 02-12-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

If this is using a Comcast box you should never have station issues like this otherwise I'd have called Comcast immediately to come out and fix the issue.

post #3774 of 3802 Old 02-13-2014, 10:37 AM

In a little over a week, my channels are getting encrypted, too. I'm planning on getting a Cablecard and a tuner to go with it. I subscribe to just the local channel package now. Does anyone know if the Cablecard will be able to pick up HD versions of the local channels or will I still have to pay Comcast the extra $9.95 to enable the HD channels on my account?
post #3775 of 3802 Old 02-13-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbeaird View Post

In a little over a week, my channels are getting encrypted, too. I'm planning on getting a Cablecard and a tuner to go with it. I subscribe to just the local channel package now. Does anyone know if the Cablecard will be able to pick up HD versions of the local channels or will I still have to pay Comcast the extra $9.95 to enable the HD channels on my account?

I have a TiVo/CableCard and I was told that I don't need to pay the HD access fee if I only want to watch HD on CableCard devices. When I was talking to Comcast about my options for the coming encryption, they told me if I wanted regular Comcast boxes for my other TVs, in order to get HD on those, I'd have to pay the $10/month. But if I was only interested in HD on CableCard devices, no HD fee was needed.
post #3776 of 3802 Old 02-25-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvvolfan View Post

Comcast to begin encrypting Limited Basic on February 25, 2014 in the Nashville market. (see last page of most recent bill for the notice which I will attach below)

I can confirm that this morning all of my channels are encrypted.
post #3777 of 3802 Old 02-25-2014, 11:42 AM
csd

Yeah, I noticed my clear QAM tuner stopped getting channels a week or so ago.

charlie
post #3778 of 3802 Old 02-25-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Mine stopped working today, as did a friends. Off to antenna I go (already had it mounted and set up in anticipation of this).
post #3779 of 3802 Old 02-26-2014, 04:29 AM

I was paying around $20 for Limited Basic Cable when I received the letter from Comcast about encrypting local channels. They shipped me one Standard Definition DTA . What a joke. I have no desire to use their lousy equipment with another remote. I'm sure they have HD DTA's, but it probably comes with more charges. I purchased the Winegard FlatWave Indoor Antenna to receive all of my locals in HD again. For those that don't want to mount an antenna on the outside of their home, this solution worked for me living in Brentwood.
post #3780 of 3802 Old 04-18-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Comcast XFINITY On Demand is now available on TiVo Premiere and Roamio Series DVRs throughout the state of Tennessee.

http://www.tivo.com/discover/cable
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page