Nashville, TN - Comcast - Page 127 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3781 of 3802 Old 04-19-2014, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed the Xfinity on demand app show up on my TiVo yesterday. I'm able to click into it and view all of the on demand options. However, I'm not yet able to actually watch anything. When I try to start a program, the TiVo jumps over to the CableCard diagnostics page. I never actually get an error message. Hoping it's just part of the initial rollout. I fear having to call Comcast for support on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 3802 Old 04-21-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by clordatl View Post

I noticed the Xfinity on demand app show up on my TiVo yesterday. I'm able to click into it and view all of the on demand options. However, I'm not yet able to actually watch anything. When I try to start a program, the TiVo jumps over to the CableCard diagnostics page. I never actually get an error message. Hoping it's just part of the initial rollout. I fear having to call Comcast for support on this.

Let us know how it goes. I'm tempted to upgrade from my HD tivo that doesn't support this to a Roamio.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #3783 of 3802 Old 04-21-2014, 12:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

Let us know how it goes. I'm tempted to upgrade from my HD tivo that doesn't support this to a Roamio.

I would upgrade to the Roamio whether it works or not. I chose the four tuner basic Roamio and dropped a $100 3TB drive in it, and it works like a charm. Roamios actually require zero prep to upgrade now - you just take any drive, throw it in, turn it on, and it formats it and throws you right into Guided Setup (after an hour or so.) It's faster, and you always have the option to kick Comcast to the curb with it.
post #3784 of 3802 Old 04-21-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard25 View Post

I would upgrade to the Roamio whether it works or not. I chose the four tuner basic Roamio and dropped a $100 3TB drive in it, and it works like a charm. Roamios actually require zero prep to upgrade now - you just take any drive, throw it in, turn it on, and it formats it and throws you right into Guided Setup (after an hour or so.) It's faster, and you always have the option to kick Comcast to the curb with it.

My HD Tivos (2 of them) have lifetime subscriptions so in order for me to consider getting a new box is it'd HAVE to access the on-demand Xfinity stuff. Otherwise I'll stick with my HD Tivo. Between the two HD Tivos and the one Comcast DVR we've always been able to record what we want. It's a @$700 investment when you include the 3TB drive, box and lifetime.

post #3785 of 3802 Old 04-21-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Redbeard have you tried the OTA capability of your basic Roamio? I am wondering how the tuner sensitivities may differ from what is used in HDhomerun units, etc.
post #3786 of 3802 Old 04-21-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:

When we try to view on our Premiere, the shows play for about 3 seconds and then freezes. I'm hoping Comcast will work out whatever bug is in the system and I'll give them a few days as I don't want to call the hell that is Comcast support.
post #3787 of 3802 Old 04-21-2014, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My HD Tivos (2 of them) have lifetime subscriptions so in order for me to consider getting a new box is it'd HAVE to access the on-demand Xfinity stuff. Otherwise I'll stick with my HD Tivo. Between the two HD Tivos and the one Comcast DVR we've always been able to record what we want. It's a @$700 investment when you include the 3TB drive, box and lifetime.

Sounds like my house - one original HD TiVo with drive upgrade, one Elite (XL4), and one Comcast DVR I would love to replace the Comcast DVR, but I was told that if I drop it for another cable card I would start being charged the $10 HD access fee. Supposedly having their HD DVR includes the fee. So it would cost me new TiVo + lifetime + $10 + $1.50? cable card rental - HD DVR rental.

I will check the Elite and mini tonight and see if on demand is on them. I assume this one more thing my lifetime HD TiVo can't do :-(
post #3788 of 3802 Old 04-21-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwynne View Post

Sounds like my house - one original HD TiVo with drive upgrade, one Elite (XL4), and one Comcast DVR I would love to replace the Comcast DVR, but I was told that if I drop it for another cable card I would start being charged the $10 HD access fee. Supposedly having their HD DVR includes the fee. So it would cost me new TiVo + lifetime + $10 + $1.50? cable card rental - HD DVR rental.

I will check the Elite and mini tonight and see if on demand is on them. I assume this one more thing my lifetime HD TiVo can't do :-(

Yup. We have a guest house that currently has the small black box to get the channels (non-HD). So IF I was to get the Roamio I can possibly see one HD Tivo going into there BUT we rent it out so I'd have to be sure the box is unpaired w/Amazon to download any 'pay' stuff....I'd have to look into it more to ensure that no one (we rent it out from time to time) can do something that would cost us money.

We have the triple-play and, like you, includes a DVR so on my calendar in the next few weeks is to swap out the crappy old box for the new X1 box so I suggest you keep the box since you're already paying for it to avoid more $.

PS - I upgraded both our HD Tivos w/1TB drives inside along w/the 500GB WD external drives purchased prior to my upgrading.

post #3789 of 3802 Old 04-22-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

No new feedback w/Xfinity and tivo folks?

post #3790 of 3802 Old 04-22-2014, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I only had time to try the mini - last night it would stream 3-4 seconds of video then freeze on screen, I could back out and resume and get 3-4 more seconds, Live TV and TiVo shows worked fine, just on demand would not stream, I tried it again briefly this morning and it worked (for the minute or so I watched)..
post #3791 of 3802 Old 04-22-2014, 05:13 PM

Our Premiere is still freezing after about 3 seconds.
post #3792 of 3802 Old 04-22-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:

I still am getting the CableCARD diagnostic screen after pushing play. If I still am having problems this weekend, I'll brace for a Comcast call.
post #3793 of 3802 Old 04-23-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I still am getting the CableCARD diagnostic screen after pushing play. If I still am having problems this weekend, I'll brace for a Comcast call.

Rats - I decided to pull the trigger and my Roamio arrives tomorrow. Purchasing the 3TB drive today to upgrade it. They better have this fixed by tomorrow or I'll be swinging the phone w/their tech support and SOMETHING I learned today:

IF you have an MCard (which most of us will have) you can NOT get the X1 box! That's what they told me today when I wanted to get one. Anyone else heard of this limitation? You must have X1 boxes or the SD adapters!?!

post #3794 of 3802 Old 04-29-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Boy it's quiet. NO one called Xfinity!?? I DID. I got my Roamio - made FOUR f*)*^%ng trips to my Comcast office since they screwed up (it turns out) each time w/the MCard set up. I called over EIGHTEEN times to get it paired with no luck. None of the pay stations would work BUT my first MCard DID have on-demand work. But after giving up on Comcast I did some searching and decided to call Tivo - BEST MOVE EVER.

They connected me on a conference call with a Tier 2 tech person they had the number for and after 30 minutes I had my pay stations. BUT on-demand I get the same issue as previously posted - 2 seconds it plays and it freezes. The bar at the bottom continues to count up like the movie is playing. If i quite and go back to play it it plays the 2 seconds of where i stopped it and freezes the picture.

The tech called me back at 9pm to see if it had changed but no luck. He's going to investigate it - I have a ticket number, his name, number and extension so I hope to get it working soon. BTW I did get one error message ONE time and when I looked it up it was a message others had received (WAY back when it first rolled out in SF) so I'm hoping it's a 'quick' fix.

post #3795 of 3802 Old 04-29-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:

\BUT on-demand I get the same issue as previously posted - 2 seconds it plays and it freezes. The bar at the bottom continues to count up like the movie is playing. If i quite and go back to play it it plays the 2 seconds of where i stopped it and freezes the picture.

The tech called me back at 9pm to see if it had changed but no luck. He's going to investigate it - I have a ticket number, his name, number and extension so I hope to get it working soon. BTW I did get one error message ONE time and when I looked it up it was a message others had received (WAY back when it first rolled out in SF) so I'm hoping it's a 'quick' fix.

Thanks and please keep us posted as to the result. My gut feeling is Comcast doesn't have on demand running here yet but it'll be good to get an official word.
post #3796 of 3802 Old 04-29-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janryAVS View Post

Thanks and please keep us posted as to the result. My gut feeling is Comcast doesn't have on demand running here yet but it'll be good to get an official word.

I know it works since it worked on the first Mcard I used. I've done research and I think I've found the solution. The Card has to be coded on your account as a TIVO AO billing code and that took care of the same exact issue others were having. I left a vmail for my tech to see what he has to say about it. I'm at work so I can't call to have it activated (I'll wait until I'm in front of it tonight).

I think they coded the first one correct when i called to activate it since i watched the first several minutes of a FOX show. As usual, - it all depends on WHO you get to determine WHAT level of service/techie you get.

post #3797 of 3802 Old 04-30-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

UPDATE: It's now working! The tech escalated it to the head-end folks and it appears they 'did' something. I called my tech back and told him it was working but at that time he hadn't received an email/notice from the head -end that they did anything. I confirmed the tech had already put that 'flag' on my account that's required for a tivo w/on-demand. He mentioned I might need a firmware update that the head-end would send and my 'guess' is that's what happened. Sweet sweet on-demand goodness. SO nice!

post #3798 of 3802 Old 04-30-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:

UPDATE: It's now working! The tech escalated it to the head-end folks and it appears they 'did' something. I called my tech back and told him it was working but at that time he hadn't received an email/notice from the head -end that they did anything. I confirmed the tech had already put that 'flag' on my account that's required for a tivo w/on-demand. He mentioned I might need a firmware update that the head-end would send and my 'guess' is that's what happened. Sweet sweet on-demand goodness. SO nice!

Snap! I just don't know if I want on-demand bad enough to go through Comcast tech support hell.

Right now, everything else is working fine. Don't know that I want to risk it.
post #3799 of 3802 Old 04-30-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janryAVS View Post

Snap! I just don't know if I want on-demand bad enough to go through Comcast tech support hell.

Right now, everything else is working fine. Don't know that I want to risk it.

That's exactly how I feel.
post #3800 of 3802 Old 05-01-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

It's worth it. I suggest you DONT call Comcast but call TiVo instead. TiVo will call the Tier 2 Tech place in CO (I have the phone number but I'm at work and it's at home) and they will make sure to get it working. I jumped around on-demand last night and really love it. ADHD is in full effect w/the 4 tuners, on-demand, and the 477+hours of HD I can record thanks to my swapping out the 500gb drive for a 3TB one!!
Redbeard25 likes this.

post #3801 of 3802 Old 05-01-2014, 01:54 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

Redbeard have you tried the OTA capability of your basic Roamio? I am wondering how the tuner sensitivities may differ from what is used in HDhomerun units, etc.

Sorry for the big delay in responding.

I have not tried the OTA on my Roamio yet. Being in Nashville, you do wonder with all the hills... but ultimately, I think the signal strength is primarily a factor of the antenna.

Xfinity On Demand. It was activated on our Tivo when my friend got the email, and I never had any synchronization/cable card problems. Many times, when this is an issue, it's a signal strength problem on top of Comcast being out of sync at the headend. They finally rolled a truck for us, and ended up reburying the cable from the box to our house because it wasn't done right a decade ago.

Here are my top ten comments:
  1. I'm glad we got it finally.
  2. I'm glad it honors Tivo parental controls, and that you can disable Adult movies altogether (although it still displays the titles.)
  3. It's obvious it's calling the same menu API as the Xfinity boxes do, and that not everything is supported. Click "Search" and laugh.
  4. It is nice to have the featured things up at the top of the list. I hadn't even heard of the "Fargo" series, and now I'm sorta hooked.
  5. It is also obvious the pointlessness of how things expire on the list. Gee, look, I can watch the last five episodes of a series.
  6. I would love to be able to tell that whatever I'm drilling down to is included in my subscription before I get to the final final final link, but I guess that's marketing. (Maybe if they get all the way down to the title, they'll pony up the $1.99)
  7. The quality is VERY good. There's no "Netflix anxiety" about the stream.
  8. Disabling fast forward and reverse is moronic.
  9. Now that I can see the list of things that are included, I will never subscribe to Disney Family Movies.
  10. Unless you know exactly what you're looking for, it's pretty hopeless as far as interfaces go.
post #3802 of 3802 Old 05-02-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry for the big delay in responding.

I have not tried the OTA on my Roamio yet. Being in Nashville, you do wonder with all the hills... but ultimately, I think the signal strength is primarily a factor of the antenna.

Xfinity On Demand. It was activated on our Tivo when my friend got the email, and I never had any synchronization/cable card problems. Many times, when this is an issue, it's a signal strength problem on top of Comcast being out of sync at the headend. They finally rolled a truck for us, and ended up reburying the cable from the box to our house because it wasn't done right a decade ago.

Here are my top ten comments:
  1. I'm glad we got it finally.
  2. I'm glad it honors Tivo parental controls, and that you can disable Adult movies altogether (although it still displays the titles.)
  3. It's obvious it's calling the same menu API as the Xfinity boxes do, and that not everything is supported. Click "Search" and laugh.
  4. It is nice to have the featured things up at the top of the list. I hadn't even heard of the "Fargo" series, and now I'm sorta hooked.
  5. It is also obvious the pointlessness of how things expire on the list. Gee, look, I can watch the last five episodes of a series.
  6. I would love to be able to tell that whatever I'm drilling down to is included in my subscription before I get to the final final final link, but I guess that's marketing. (Maybe if they get all the way down to the title, they'll pony up the $1.99)
  7. The quality is VERY good. There's no "Netflix anxiety" about the stream.
  8. Disabling fast forward and reverse is moronic.
  9. Now that I can see the list of things that are included, I will never subscribe to Disney Family Movies.
  10. Unless you know exactly what you're looking for, it's pretty hopeless as far as interfaces go.

Number 8 only occurs on TV shows. Movies can be ffwd and rewound with ease.

I find the new interface MUCH MUCH better than my HD TIvo. I LOVE the fact that when you select an episode and click to view upcoming episodes it ONLY shows THAT episode to make it easy to reschedule it you want versus seeing EVERY episode for that show.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page