Old 11-19-2004, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by mr2828
I have limited basic and the dual tuner 6412 I picked up earlier this week is still working great. I am also though only seeing around 3 or 4 days of guide listings. Will it ever get a full week or more?

By "limited basic" or you meaning what they call or used to call "lifeline cable" - which is the locals, CSPAN, and government access. I think it is $14 a month.

I asked the guy on the phone today about the program guide into and he said "I don't know for sure, but I would think it should have at least a week". I will post what I have when I get home and check it.

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2004, 03:46 PM

which model remote did you guys get for the 6412. I exchanged mine today for the one with the swap button and it does not look the same at all.. in fact the MY DVR button no longer exists, it just says "LIST". It is a model DRC-800
Old 11-19-2004, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 16
man, i really like this new menu. Thank god they got rid of those annoying TVguide ads that would take up half the screen, and only show how long the show was in 30 minute intervals. Why would anyone get D* compared to what comcast is offering now. Not ComCrap any longer.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, limited basic is the "lifeline" version.

I also got the DRC800 remote. No sir, I don't like it. At least compared to my dish network remote. No UHF signalling, no 30 second skip button, the buttons have worse tactile feedback, etc. Even compared to my other IR-only remotes, this one seems to have less "power" - have to point it almost directly at the 6412 even from just 8 feet away.

If anyone figures out how to do the 30 second skip, please post it.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If anyone figures out how to do the 30 second skip, please post it.

For real, got used to that with the Tivos and miss it on the cable box.

When I got home Friday night I had lost all the free premium channels off the box, but did have Discovery and ESPN in HD as I should. No more trouble with the guide - except for lots of "to be announced" entries - until Sunday evening when it all got wiped out again. I will get it a few more days, but I think I will have to return this box and try another.

Dennis
Old 11-22-2004, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

We need to jump up on down on the heads of Comcast and Sinclaire(sp?) the local WB in now at 1080i.

Jerry

Jerry
Old 11-22-2004, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

I don't think swapping your 6412 for another one will increase the amount of guide listings. Mine also is still limited to 3-4 days worth. It's doubtful that both of our boxes are broken in that one single specific way. More likely that all 6412s in Nashville have the same issue.

I asked previously and got no response: is anyone seeing a full week or more of listings on their 6412?
Old 11-22-2004, 04:35 PM

30 Second skip: Go look in the "Official 6412/iGuide thread." There are instructions there.

Can someone with a 6412 (or maybe even 6208) try something for me? I've had lots of problems with Digital cable (SD). I can't really rewind or FF live or recorded TV on lots of channels. For instance, 129 BBC America is really bad. So, tune to it and let it record for a minute or two. Then try rewinding at the first or second speed. Does it really go all the way back? Mine doesn't, I get a "Code HW" error message.

After a lot of calls and a couple of service calls, they are now telling me this is the case everywhere in Nashville, which I find hard to believe since I don't see anything here about it. I live in Antioch and have had this problem for months. (Ever since I got a 6208).
Old 11-22-2004, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

The 30 second skip instructions posted elsewhere only apply to the old remote control (the one with a setup button). They don't work for the new one (DRC800).
Old 11-22-2004, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

okay, today i found out something interesting, if you subscribe to any premium channel, you can get access to the OnDemand service for that premium channel for free... doesnt matter if you have "digital tier" cable or not. How cool is that?

at first I was afraid to try it because I didnt want any additional fees, but then I called comcast and the serivce rep confirmed that it is free, so i guess if they charge me, i can yell at them.

anyway, so if anyone's confused, we just have basic cable + HBO + HDTV box. thats it, no digital tier channels like the ones from 100-169 or something in the middle that they normally try and stick you with whenever you sign up for premium service. in fact one cable guy who came to our house when i had service trouble said that if you wanted you could get any of their services with anything else, all you would have to do is be firm with them. Like there are a bunch of people acc to him that have like lifeline cable service (channels 1-13) or something, and HBO or showtime, or just the mexican channels! its news to me.. because i always thought you had to have some basic minimum service in order to get premium services or what not...

but back a few months ago, when we originally started to subscribe to HBO, i tried the ondemand thing, and it didnt work, which is what i expected since we didnt have "digital tier cable" that costs the extra $15. but today it works... and comcast says it should be that way. Whatever, cool i guess, just thought i'd share

btw, i'd much rather have TNT HD than FOX or WB, sinclair can suck it
Old 11-22-2004, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

I'd much rather have all three.

Jerry
Old 11-22-2004, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The 30 second skip instructions posted elsewhere only apply to the old remote control (the one with a setup button). They don't work for the new one (DRC800).

i dont know which remote you're talking about, but we have this silver looking one, and if you open the part that contains batteries, it has a jp 1.1 connection, supposedly you could reprogram it if you wanted. In fact, the cable guy "punched through" the volume button on that remote, so no matter what device i select for the remote to operate (TV, Cable, Aux, etc), the volume control always controls my Onkyo reciever. if yours has that jp 1.1 slot, you could forseeably reprogram a button to do what you wanted with relative ease...
Old 11-22-2004, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Vondo, re: moto 6208

FF and REW works fine on digital channels 100-168. FF2 FF3 FF4 and REW2 REW3 REW4 will sometimes lock up. Seems to happen a lot on NFL Network.

Freaking weird...
Old 11-22-2004, 09:06 PM

That's what I saw with my 6208's. But, the channels are consistent. For instance, I never have a problem with 122 on any speed, but never got 129 to really work.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
I don't think swapping your 6412 for another one will increase the amount of guide listings. Mine also is still limited to 3-4 days worth. It's doubtful that both of our boxes are broken in that one single specific way. More likely that all 6412s in Nashville have the same issue.

I asked previously and got no response: is anyone seeing a full week or more of listings on their 6412?

I'm only seeing three days at most as well. This seems to be a Comcast issue in general, not specific to any of us. You don't appreciate the two weeks of program guides you get with Tivo until you try another service that doesn't have it.

Rick
Old 11-23-2004, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally posted by Ou8thisSN
okay, today i found out something interesting, if you subscribe to any premium channel, you can get access to the OnDemand service for that premium channel for free... doesnt matter if you have "digital tier" cable or not. How cool is that?

but back a few months ago, when we originally started to subscribe to HBO, i tried the ondemand thing, and it didnt work, which is what i expected since we didnt have "digital tier cable" that costs the extra $15. but today it works... and comcast says it should be that way. Whatever, cool i guess, just thought i'd share

btw, i'd much rather have TNT HD than FOX or WB, sinclair can suck it

But does OnDemand extend to HBO HD or just the SD channel?

And I agree, Sinclair can suck it, but they have the Super Bowl this year in our market and I have no way to get them over the air because of terrain (Bellevue).

Rick
Old 11-23-2004, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jl1718
We need to jump up on down on the heads of Comcast and Sinclaire(sp?) the local WB in now at 1080i.

They have UPCONVERTED 1080i - they are passing no HD content so I would not expect Comcast to get in any hurry. The same is true for Fox (almost no prime time HD content) and channel 8 (lacks the ability to pass HD). I WOULD like to see "Enterprise" in HD on UPN, though - I can pick it up if they ever broadcast it.....

Dennis
Old 11-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vondo
30 Second skip: Go look in the "Official 6412/iGuide thread." There are instructions there.

After wading through all the posts it seems this will not work with the new remote - only the old one (which I turned in with the HD box). Maybe someone in the area could host a "remote party" where we all bring over a programmable remote and learn this IR sequence ?

Dennis
Old 11-23-2004, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sevenfeet
But does OnDemand extend to HBO HD or just the SD channel?

no, its just all SD stuff, but the list is fairly comprehensive. its a nice feature (if indeed its free) HD or no.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:21 AM

Subscribing to this thread.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dwynne
After wading through all the posts it seems this will not work with the new remote - only the old one (which I turned in with the HD box). Maybe someone in the area could host a "remote party" where we all bring over a programmable remote and learn this IR sequence ?

Dennis

If you work downtown and want to stop by Vanderbilt, I'll bring in my remote. For Pronto and (I think) Harmony owners, there are codes out there on other boards. I've got a Pronto 3000 file I can send to anyone who wants it.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by vondo
If you work downtown and want to stop by Vanderbilt, I'll bring in my remote. For Pronto and (I think) Harmony owners, there are codes out there on other boards. I've got a Pronto 3000 file I can send to anyone who wants it.

My daughter works at Vandy so I get down there from time to time to take her to lunch, but I DO have one of the original Pronto remotes. I assume any of the Pronto codes will work on my "early adopter" version Pronto?

Thanks!
Dennis
Old 11-25-2004, 08:21 AM

I would think so. I don't have the hex code at hand right now, but do a search and you should find them for mute, swap (both useful for 6412) and 30sec skip for 6208/6412.

If you don't find it, let me know.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

I set my Comcast DVR to record the Colts game on 5 in HD today (so I didn't miss the start while eating lunch with the family). Big mistake - nothing but freezes, drop outs, and pixels. I checked and channel 2 in HD is also hosed, but all the other HD channels are OK. I should have programmed the HD Tivo to record it off the air, since that was fine.

Anyone else having this problem with the locals in HD today?

BTW, the Cowboys game on Fox in HD is breaking up on my HDTivo. Seems to be a low signal level, since all the other locals seem fine.

Some days you just can't win

Dennis
Old 11-25-2004, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

not here in nolensville/brentwood... it was crystal clear as the colts dominated. i didnt see any hiccups although i only saw most of the first and 3, 4th quarters, didnt see any of the second...
Old 11-25-2004, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

I just re-checked and 2 and 5 are fine in HD on the Comcast box now....

Dennis
Old 11-28-2004, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Are INHD & INDH2 still down for everyone here? I read over in the main hdtv programming thead that their satellite died, but it seems many local comcast cities have already resolved this issue and gotten these channels back, but so far my 6412 tells me they are still gone here in Franklin.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

They are down here as well.

BTW, my box lost the guide info again this morning, so I guess I will be taking it back for a swap out at Comcast this week.

Dennis
Old 11-30-2004, 02:58 PM

Hi guys. I'm an HD virgin...I've read the entire thread and I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

I just placed an order for a Sony 36" WEGA HDTV, model KD-36XS955. I can't stand projection TVs, and this was the largest HD tube I could find.

The Sony KD-36XS955 has a CableCard slot and a built-in HDTV tuner. That means I should be able to get HD channels without needing a cable box, right?

I tried calling Comcast to verify everything with them, and all they did was confuse me. First, they said the CableCard is $15/month. I told them I thought it was provided for free, and please check again. Then they said the actual CableCard is free, but you have to subscribe to digital cable. I told them I don't want digital cable, I just want my regular channels in HD. Ultimately, they said to drop by Mainstream Drive and pick up a CableCard, and I should get the networks and a couple other channels for free. But that took 25 minutes to figure out, most of which was spent on hold as the CSR told me she doesn't know much about HD and needed to ask someone else about it. I am an HD newbie, and I felt like I almost knew more about it than they did. So I wasn't left with total confidence that I had ultimately been given the correct answer.

Can anyone verify this for me, that the CableCard and regular (non-premium) HD channels are free, and that's all I need to be able and watch HD on this TV?

Also, what are the current HD channels I should expect to receive? I assume ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, ESPN and Discovery, and then there are two INHD channels, correct?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Folks,

Pardon the interruption, but I'm wondering if anyone watched the "Seinfeld" special on Thanksgiving Night on WSMV-DT? Did anyone have problems with the audio or video? I'm trying to compare complaints in other markets to see if they also showed up in Nashville. Thanks for your help.

Just post it here, and I'll check back.