Nashville, TN - Comcast - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 3813 Old 10-28-2003, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last I heard from Gibson we might have WB in HD and Fox ED later this year.

Do you really think WZTV will do ED at all? Considering that FOX will be HD late this year ar early next. And for everyone with Comcast I'm under the understanding that Comcast Nashville will not pass through anything but HD. But, who knows until we see it.

Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3813 Old 10-28-2003, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jl1718
Last I heard from Gibson we might have WB in HD and Fox ED later this year.

Do you really think WZTV will do ED at all? Considering that FOX will be HD late this year ar early next. And for everyone with Comcast I'm under the understanding that Comcast Nashville will not pass through anything but HD. But, who knows until we see it.

I don't know if it makes a difference but we do have Fox digital (not HD, of course) included for what they call the HD channels on Comcast in the Atlanta area.
post #33 of 3813 Old 10-30-2003, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wineman
I think adding NFL Sunday ticket games in HD will do nothing for Titans fans because every game is sold out and will be on TV anyway.

NFL blackout rules apply to Sunday ticket as well, so if a game isn't sold out, you can't get it from your local station or on ST. The only thing ST is good for is watching games that are out of your local market (like if you were a Pittsburgh Steelers fan in Nashville and couldn't ever watch their games because our local carries the Titans.

FWIW...Antennaweb.org says PBS is supposed to be broadcasting as of Nov 1 (Saturday). Anybody know any more info?

Lee
post #34 of 3813 Old 10-30-2003, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by leewcraft

FWIW...Antennaweb.org says PBS is supposed to be broadcasting as of Nov 1 (Saturday). Anybody know any more info?

Lee

Lee that's weird you bring PBS up, I e-mailed the tonight to get specifics. I was told at one time a deal with Comcast was already done. I will post the response as soon as I get it.

Jerry
post #35 of 3813 Old 10-31-2003, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the response from WNPT 8.

Thanks for your email, Jerry. Yes, when a program in our schedule is available in HD from PBS, it will be broadcast in HD on our digital channel. DT46 will not be HD all the time, though. Unfortunately the delivery of part we need has been delayed so our digital broadcast may not happen until December. We had planned to be up and running on 46 some time in November. Digital will be a reality soon though, and carried by Comcast.

Jerry
post #36 of 3813 Old 11-06-2003, 03:10 AM

Can someone please confirm for me that INHD and INHD2 are available on Comcast Nashville as part of the regular HDTV package? I have been unable to get either channel since they started up and when the technician finally showed up the other day, the office told him that channels 174 and 175 are PPV only. I told him that was crazy, but would like someone to confirm it for me based on atually seeing it.

The technician is returning today, so a prompt response would be most appreciated.

JimS

Rough business this movie business. I may have to go back to loan sharking for a rest.
post #37 of 3813 Old 11-06-2003, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Yea it's apart of the basic HD package. I know people who get the service with expanded basic programming subscription. They are by now means pay per view only. If the tech can't solve the issue call Comcast and ask for the HD department.

Jerry

Jerry
post #38 of 3813 Old 11-06-2003, 07:20 AM

INHD 1 and 2 have always been pretty unreliable for me. Some days they are there and some days not. And even when there are they there, I sometimes experience artifacts (what is the term for when portions of the picture seem to freeze and then gradually get updated as the picture changes later?) for a few moments every now and again. The other 4 channels are perfectly fine. It's a shame because the INHD channels tend to have the type of programming that lends itself well to demonstrations of HDTV to friends and family. I heard reports of the same type of behavior from folks not on this message board too, but I'm not sure where to take these issues.
post #39 of 3813 Old 11-06-2003, 10:59 AM

I have had just the opposite experience with the INHD channels, save for one time when inhd2 froze at launch they have been incredible. Some of the best HD that I have seen, the underwater shows are especially stunning. As Jl1718 said THEY ARE NOT PAY PER VIEW.
post #40 of 3813 Old 11-06-2003, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

I like inhd as well. Excellent PQ. It's a shame Comcast doesent have NBA TV I was really looking forward to those games. Cant wait to see the collage hockey though.

BTW I'am hearing that we may have the PVR's in Nashville late Nov. early Dec. I hope it's true.

Jerry

Jerry
post #41 of 3813 Old 11-06-2003, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Our Fox and WB stations are also owned by Sinclair in Baltimore. Actually this is the corporate Sinclair headquarters. And their stations here have no plans for widescreen 480p transmissions (States so on their own website). Sinclair is infamous about not supporting Fox's WS or other network stations' HD. So you may have a much longer wait than you would think.

Rich N.
Baltimore
post #42 of 3813 Old 11-06-2003, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

I'm hopefull for FOX next year in HD. I rteally think it will be awhile before we see WB.

Jerry

Jerry
post #43 of 3813 Old 11-06-2003, 02:28 PM

Hey Jl you mentioned college hockey, I have really been looking forward to this but I have emailed INHD twice with no response regarding college hockey. It showed up on the guide a couple of times but the programming did not match. DO we or DON'T we get college hockey on INHD?
post #44 of 3813 Old 11-06-2003, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Wonder if it is the same reason we dont get the NBA? Is it blacked out on Comcast or was there something else on? We may not receive it here because we do not have the Collage Sports Network. I'll do some digging.

Jerry

Jerry
post #45 of 3813 Old 11-06-2003, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bluepred
It showed up on the guide a couple of times but the programming did not match. DO we or DON'T we get college hockey on INHD?

Yeah, I tuned in for it like you did and did not get it. It was Minnesota-Duluth at Minnesota. But I went back and looked at the inhd.com schedules for those days, and there were no references at all for it. (It might have been there at one time, but if so it was removed.)

So "College Hockey" appeared on the on-screen program guide, but not at www.inhd.com.

So I think they must have been planning on getting an HD truck there but it did not work out.

This next game (on 11/14) IS showing up on www.inhd.com, so I think it will happen this time.

It's definitely not a black-out situation. That rarely if ever happens with college sports, and when it happened with the NBA game I got a blank screen (not any "substitute" programming).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #46 of 3813 Old 11-19-2003, 10:49 AM

I just noticed that WSMV is airing its local newscast in full widescreen with no black side bars. It is definitely a digital signal and almost looks HD.
post #47 of 3813 Old 11-19-2003, 11:42 AM

After further review, it appears that Comcast is sending the WSMV signal as it sends those from the digital tier (101-165)-with gray bars. My TV was in the stretch mode.
post #48 of 3813 Old 12-02-2003, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone have any idea when we might see Cinemax and Starz in Nashville? Wonder if we will be included in the 12/22 rollout? Nobody at the Comcast office knows.

Jerry

Jerry
post #49 of 3813 Old 12-05-2003, 07:28 AM

I see that Comcast is adding DVR capabilities to their set-top boxes soon. Any word on whether these boxes will record in HD?

(Since I don't have the necessary 5 posts, I'll have to break the URL into peices. Sorry)

news . com . com / 2100-1033-5113132.html
post #50 of 3813 Old 12-05-2003, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 58
According to Motorola's web site, the DCT 6208 set top box that I believe Comcast is going to use will support analog, DTV and HDTV recording.

Rick
post #51 of 3813 Old 12-05-2003, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

It is indeed HD capable. Some people at Cocmast say by the end of the year and some say after the first of the year. The Mot. 6408 is due out in the middle of the year and is a dual tuner.

Jerry

Jerry
post #52 of 3813 Old 12-10-2003, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, after getting my 55" Mitsu 55813 RPTV a couple of weeks ago, I began a quest on how to best get HD locals OTA. Well, after screwing around with several antenna including the Zenith Silver Sensor, a Radio Shack Omnidirectional dish, and the Channel Master Stealthtenna, I came to the realization that I had feared: my neighborhood in Bellevue is a OTA dead zone. The only thing I could get was WKRN (ABC) since their tower is to the southwest of me where line of sight is easy. WSMV (NBC) is about the same distance as WKRN, but it's blocks by several hills between my house and Knob Hill where WSMV's antenna is located. WTVF (CBS) has their tower located in North Nashville on the same vector as WSMV, and of course I did no better than trying to get WSMV.

Which means as a recent DirecTV customer, I had to sheepishly go back to Comcast and ask to be reconnected to limited basic service. Fortunately they didn't charge me for a re-hookup fee. I decided to allow my Mitsu's built in ATSC tuner to try to pick up the unscrambled QAM channels instead of getting the Moto 5100 cable box they offer for $5 a month.

The good news is that the Mitsu was able to pick up all unscrambled DTV channels that Comcast offers. WSMV, WKRN and WTVF are all available in their HD glory. Unfortunately, the Mitsu has one major annoying problem. NetCommand 3.0 allows the TV to search for all available DTV channels. It successfully does that, but it also picks up every scrambled DTV broadcast channel that Comcast is either using or has the frequency reserved. Of course, the TV can't make any sense of the scrambled channels and just blinks the screen at you. It takes manual intervention to go in and delete all the bad channels from the database. It's really important for a few channels since for some unknown reason, if you tune the TV to them, the TV completely loses its marbles and shuts down.

The only other weird thing is that there are some channels that are being broadcast as SDTV in the proper ATSC format that the Mitsu's tuner picks up. These channels are: the Tennis Channel, the Fine Living channel, ESPNow, the Independant Film channel, NickToo and Nick Gas as well as a Comcast channel explaining the virtues of digital cable. I'm not sure why Comcast is sending these channels in SDTV in the clear, but they are there in case anyone's interested.

Rick
post #53 of 3813 Old 12-10-2003, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thats some good info thanks for posting.

Jerry

Jerry
post #54 of 3813 Old 12-28-2003, 11:39 AM

Anyone else in Nashville having problems with INHD and INHD2. The signal seems to be breaking up on these 2 channels - distorted video and to a lesser extent, audio. No problems on the other HD stations.
post #55 of 3813 Old 12-28-2003, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

I have been having the same problems in Hendersonville, for about 2 weeks now.

Any one know when Stars or Cinemax are going to be added??

Trevor
post #56 of 3813 Old 12-31-2003, 10:11 AM

Ok so after some digging I found out the Titans game is going to be on ABC (WKRN) in HDTV this Sat.!!

A rare event for any Titans game, but it will be nice to see our team in HD finally.

I hope Comcast adds more HD channels soon.

My top picks would be PBS and UPN.
post #57 of 3813 Old 01-01-2004, 12:16 PM

I'd give an arm and a leg if we could get Fox digital so I can watch 24 in widescreen.
post #58 of 3813 Old 01-01-2004, 04:41 PM

Quote:

My top picks would be PBS and UPN. [/b]

Why UPN? What do they broadcast in HD?
post #59 of 3813 Old 01-04-2004, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by volfan
Why UPN? What do they broadcast in HD?

Right now, only Star Trek: Enterprise and Jake 2.0 on Wednesday nights.

Rick
post #60 of 3813 Old 01-04-2004, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by wineman
Ok so after some digging I found out the Titans game is going to be on ABC (WKRN) in HDTV this Sat.!!

A rare event for any Titans game, but it will be nice to see our team in HD finally.

And it was beautiful to watch. The last time the Titans were in HD, we lost. I'm glad to see the outcome was a little different this time.

Rick
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page