Nashville, TN - Comcast - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2004, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know when the PVRs will be available thru Comcast? TIVO is the SINGLE reason I am holding onto DirecTV at this point. Considering how much I travel, I couldn't function without it. I'm in the Mt. Juliet area and would love to hear from anyone who has info. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2004, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still hearing that it should be sometime in the first qtr. But, noone seems to know for sure. A post earlier in this thread by unk seems to be dead on the internet stuff. I was told they may have quicker speeds up by Friday but, again, not for sure. Supposedly they have increaded internet speed in some other markets maybe someone could chime if they have seen that.

Jerry
Old 01-28-2004, 03:51 PM

Do you know if it will be able to record both HD and SD programming?
Old 01-28-2004, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

I would hope so but the person I talked too wasnt for sure. The ones being rolled out through do.

Jerry
Old 01-28-2004, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

yes both SD and HD recording

Trevor
Old 01-28-2004, 07:44 PM

Called comcast today. They say 2 weeks on PVR. Although, I think that they are confused with VOD. I pushed hard and they said that it was the PVR. I will believe it when I see it.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:20 PM
unk

from my sources there is no specified date for PVR yet. I wouldn't expect it till the 2nd or 3rd quarter.. to be honest. No way they are getting PVR in 2 weeks, had to be VOD. If they were to release it, I'm sure my source would have told me she was getting trained on it....

VOD is slated to be released VERY soon. Not sure where the person you talked to got 2 weeks from, but maybe we shall get lucky and get it by then or earlier. They've been trying to release it but I did find out they ran into a couple problems. Again, from my sources they are doing everything they can to get this going.

And the speeds, are supposed to go up on the internet soon (maybe the 30th). Starz and Max HD should be here by then too. Maybe we will get lucky and get VOD tomorrow too.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:28 PM

Comcast sent a letter saying that their internet speeds were going to double at a new rate of 3.0 MB/sec. That's a dramatic upgrade on internet speed.

Zenith SAT-520 shown on a Pioneer Elite PRO-620HD connected by Better Cables Silver Serpant VGA
Pioneer Elite DV-45A DVD Player
Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX A/V Receiver
Old 01-29-2004, 07:38 AM

Thanks for the info, guys. Keep me posted. I have no beef with DirecTV or Direcway other than the fact I can't get HD locals without mounting a monstrous antenna. Of course, I say that without ever having tried a smaller antenna but I'm just being pessimistic. Anybody have any success with antennas and HD in my area? I'm approx. 20-25 miles from the feeds.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:02 AM
unk

well, its 2 am.. anyone have anything yet? Nothing here. I imagine it will be sometime during the day.. I am anxiously waiting!
Old 01-30-2004, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

2 pm and nothing new on the iNet speeds.

Trevor
Old 01-30-2004, 02:27 PM
unk

Starz HD is on 179 and looks like 177 Max is about to go online.. there is a channel, but nothing listed.

Internet speeds are here too.. make sure to unplug your modem for a few seconds.. then plug back in so the new bootfile can load in your modem.

Woo...
Old 01-30-2004, 02:35 PM
unk

yup, it now says MAXHD on 177, still no pic. Guess they are about to flip the switch. One thing i also noticed.... there is an ad for Rugrats VOD in the menu. Maybe...just maybe... would be a sweet day if that gets turned on too.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

I got home about 4:30 and my HD box wouldn't work so I unplugged it. Now it seems ok but, I dont have 177 yet, is that right? Also when I hit the menu button the middle row now says Comcast in Demand with the row being blank. Could be a good day indeed. Have yet to reset my cable modem.

Jerry

Jerry
Old 01-30-2004, 03:56 PM
unk

177 MaxHD is still saying one moment please on my box. However 179 StarzHD is working. Nothing with the on demand yet.

When you unplugged the box it also erased the memory of the box. All the menu info and channel info will have to rebuild. It can take some time.. (up to 2 hrs).
Old 01-30-2004, 04:14 PM

The new higher speeds on the internet are great!! I'm getting 3.0 MB/sec now. I ran a speed test after I reset my modem and then went to www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest

Zenith SAT-520 shown on a Pioneer Elite PRO-620HD connected by Better Cables Silver Serpant VGA
Pioneer Elite DV-45A DVD Player
Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX A/V Receiver
Old 01-30-2004, 11:45 PM
unk

anyone have ch 177 maxhd yet???? Still getting the same. I may make a call tomorrow to see if they are just having tech dificulties.

*EDIT*
Called my friend and she said they were having problems and -should- have it up Monday sometime.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

nope not yet either.

Jerry

Jerry
Old 02-04-2004, 03:00 PM

I just received some info regarding a re-structuring of Comcast's Digital packages. Starting tomorrow they will be offering a CHOICE of three of the five premium packages for the same price. For example I currently have the silver package HBO-HD, Shotime-HD, and TMC (non HD)...I can now drop TMC for either the Cinemax package (HD included) or the Starz (HD included) and not pay anymore. This is good news because I hated seing the HD channels go across the screen with the dreaded "subscription note". The only catch is that you have to ask for it as they will not be advertising it.

Good luck as you will probably know more than the CSR's.

Now which should I get Starz or Cinemax?
Old 02-04-2004, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

I would say Cinemax. I havent watched much on there yet but I'm not pleased with Starz. I havent seen a whole lot in HD yet. I was looking foward to watching Gangs of New York but was upset to see it's not in HD. Maybe down the road there will be more stuff but not right now.

Does anyone know if they are upgrading the boxes for DVI yet? Also heard a rumor they may be dropping the Motorola boxes, does anyone know anything about this?

Jerry

Jerry
Old 02-05-2004, 12:32 AM
unk

from my understanding, all CSR's have been trained on this and will have the info on it... it is true they will probably not be advertising this, as normally you only see ads for the specials. However they should have a rate card like they have now with the updated packages. Afterall the old ones will not be available after tomorrow. Old customers will not have to change their package rates. They will still recieve the same packages, unless they call and change something.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:17 AM

I signed up for Comcast digital bronze just last week which comes with showtime and tmc by default, but wanted to switch to hbo (sopranos rocks). I was told i couldn't switch out just tmc or just showtime for hbo because showtime and tmc are one in the same, so i had to drop both to get hbo. Are you saying that they can now switch you from tmc to another premium lineup without having to also drop showtime?

On a similar note i'm also a little upset that one of my hbo hd channels was dropped to make room for cinemax hd. Why couldn't they just add another channel? Basicly i'm still paying the same price and getting less hd channels, which is hard because now i'm spoiled and will hardly watch anything unless it's in hd.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:33 AM

Hey Armstrong I think that we are all spoiled. Starting today you should be able to swap out TMC, just tell them that you know the packages are changing and that you want the most HD channels you can get. I am not sure of the specifics of the bronze package but it will probably work the same as the silver.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:15 PM

INHD - do we have to have digital basic to get these channels? I only have the HD locals right now (anxiously awaiting DVR so that I can drop Directivo). Sometimes INHD works, while other times it says "channel will be a vailable shortly".

Thanks
Old 02-05-2004, 12:39 PM

Alright everyone I apparantly jumped the gun (Comcast actually did) The new packages are not available just yet, they said maybe next week. I will keep you posted.

Domer-I believe that you have to get the bronze digital package to receive INHD 1 and 2. (they are GREAT channels in my opinion)
Old 02-05-2004, 12:51 PM

Thanks pred. I will definitely get them as soon as the *amn dvr comes out. Called CS today and this lady said March. I guess that this is consistent with what the other areas of the country are hearing from Comcast re: recalls on 6208, etc.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:23 AM

I agree with bluepred, the INHD picture is the best i've seen yet from a HD perspective. If you didn't catch their coverage of the 7th hole at Pebble Beach yesterday i highly recommend it. You can see it again today live around 2pm i think and a replay at around 9pm. Absolutely breathtaking, even if you don't care for watching golf.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:51 AM

Speaking of INHD; has anyone noticed that when they have a sporting event scheduled, it's blacked out here? Every time I've tried to watch one of their NBA or College games, I get nothing. Anyone know why this is?
Old 02-06-2004, 11:20 AM

I have had no problems with any of the sporting events except the NBA as they have contracts with individual markets and the majority of the games here are blacked out. You should get the baseball, college sports, golf, tennis just fine.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:24 AM

I get the same problem. I hadn't made the connection with the sports thing but now that you mention it you're right. I could get golf yesterday, but it seems that every time i try to tune into an NBA game the channel changes but i get a frozen frame of whatever program i was tuned to previously, and it stays like that until i change to another channel. Should probably report it to comcast.