Nashville, TN - Comcast - Page 51 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 3802 Old 01-04-2007, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I think what it is, is that FCC is requiring for EAS systems to be installed on any and all subchannels, and the thing is, is that Sinclair, who owns MyTV 30, is requiring The Tube Network to purchase the necessary equipment. The Tube hasn't paid or won't pay or something like that, and they (Sinclair) can't do anything about it until The Tube pays for equipment. FCC says if requirements for the necessary equipment aren't met, subchannels don't go on. So therefore, it comes down to (No Money = No Equipment = No Channel). I think that is how someone else in another forum explained it. Hope that helps.

NashDigie signing off.

NashDigie signing off.

Nashville Digital TV News & More

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 3802 Old 01-05-2007, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently got a Panasonic TH-PX60U 42 inch Plasma that has the QAM HD Tuner built in. I have read and heard that you can pick up the unencrypted channels through comcast without the STB in play, but I am not having any luck at all getting anything beyond the basic cable channels of 2-99. Can anyone provide me with a good source of info for setting this up, troubleshooting it, and just seeing if it's even available in Franklin, TN?

Thanks!
post #1503 of 3802 Old 01-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Check your owner's manual about how to scan for digital channels. You can't tune them if the receiver doesn't know they are there.

When news breaks...we fix it.
post #1504 of 3802 Old 01-05-2007, 01:07 PM

Would that be more than just telling the TV to auto program both analog and digital signals? I have gone through that process, but I wasn't able to pick up any channels above 100. Does anyone here have a channel guide of what I should be able to get in this area? For instance, channel 231 with the STB is our local ABC affiliate. Should I be able to tune to that channel on my TV and pick up the same HD content without the box?
post #1505 of 3802 Old 01-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Be sure you are scanning for digital cable channels. My Sony allows me to direct it to scan OTA and cable separately. Digital QAM channel numbers will not be the same number as OTA or STB channel numbers. If memory serves, they will be above 88 and probably involve a decimal...e.g. 92.6, etc.

post #1506 of 3802 Old 01-05-2007, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoobiedo View Post

I recently got a Panasonic TH-PX60U 42 inch Plasma that has the QAM HD Tuner built in. I have read and heard that you can pick up the unencrypted channels through comcast without the STB in play, but I am not having any luck at all getting anything beyond the basic cable channels of 2-99. Can anyone provide me with a good source of info for setting this up, troubleshooting it, and just seeing if it's even available in Franklin, TN?

Thanks!

Step 1 would be to RTFM to see how to hook it up and how to scan for digital clear QAM channels. This varies widely from set to set from brand to brand.

It looks like for this set there is just a single coax input, so you can't go wrong there. Then on the menus you choose cable TV and "all" (digital and analog) then do the scan - it will take a LONG time, maybe 15 minutes.

User Jon J is correct for OTA channels - you have to let the TV scan and find them and map then to the local channel numbers. HD channel 4 is on VHF 10, for example. So when it finds a digital signal OTA on 10 it sees in the ID that it is "4.1" to that is what it displays and that is what you tune. So your TV has learned that 4.1 = HD digital VHF 10. This is not the case in a QAM tuner. If you know that channel 4 in HD is on 93.4 or than channel 8 HD is on 115.1 you should be able to tuner those up w/o scanning first. Just hit 93 prog 4 or 115 prog 1 on your remote to directly access these.

As has been covered here a 'zillion times now, the HD digital channels can be hard to get and any older/bad splitters, amps, and coax will prevent you from getting all the QAM channels locked in. If you have trouble, then wire your TV up as direct as possible to where the cable enters the house bypassing all other drops, splitters, etc. You can get a double F female and roll of RG-6 with the ends in place (in several lengths) from RadioShaft. String the coax in through the window, across the floor, whatever. Once you have all the channels coming in good, then start adding the other stuff back. You may find (as others have) that you are going to need new coax, new splitters, and maybe an amp or two.

The list of QAM channels is posted many times in this thread and I think Franklin's channels = Nashville, but I could be wrong.

Dennis
post #1507 of 3802 Old 01-06-2007, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwynne View Post

Step 1 would be to RTFM...

Wonder why this is so often overlooked??

post #1508 of 3802 Old 01-09-2007, 03:18 PM

Hi all,

I have limited basic service in Nashville with an HD box. The quality has been pretty good, but I noticed that on sports programs (and sometimes on INHD) there tends to be a lot of artifacts that look like the signal is really compressed. Am I the only one getting these? Perhaps a bad box or my TV (not the most high-end TV, but looks fine when viewing HD videos from my computer)? Fox tends to be the worst since it's only 720p- CBS definitely looks better.
post #1509 of 3802 Old 01-09-2007, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Channel 4 is the worst since locally they use up bandwidth on the OTA signal for Telemundo sub-channel. I watched the game last night (OTA) on my HD Tivo and it looked fine - about like Fox always does. I rarely notice compression effects on the football with Fox or CBS, but always did (bad) on NBC Sunday night games.

I have QAM tuners too and had an HD box from Comcast at one time, and never noticed any quality difference between the OTA, QAM, and the HD box - and I do not notice in any between clear QAM and OTA. I have been told that Comcast sends the OTA HD signal without any compression or changes so it should look just like OTA.

If you are seeing a lot of problems on Fox I would guess the problem could be on your end - or you have a more critical eye than I do . Years and years of being a Dish and then DirecTV subscriber tend to make you more immune to noticing compression artifacts that other folks. Fox or 17 does have a problem with audio drop outs (in 5.1) - I didn't notice it during the game, but I have during some of the normal prime time shows in the past.

Dennis
post #1510 of 3802 Old 01-09-2007, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! I was wondering how the channels looked on OTA; I'm thinking about picking up an antenna and comparing. It very well might be something on my end, although my component inputs seem to be working well since I play xbox using them all the time. I'd say generally sports looks the worst (yesterday night's game looked a lot better than the Giants on Sunday though), especially for fast-moving objects.

Perhaps it is my eyes, but I feel like I'm getting used to it already
post #1511 of 3802 Old 01-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

What model TV do you have? I assume since you want to try OTA that it has an ATSC tuner in it? I also assume that since you are renting the digital HD box from Comcast ($5 a month, I think) that your set does not have a QAM tuner in it ?

If you have a QAM tuner in your TV you can bypass the Comcast box and get the locals and INHD in HD via clear QAM and see how that looks.

Depending on where in town you are and how high up your TV room is VS the surrounding hills you may be able to pick up some or all of the locals on a simple loop or bow tie antenna. All but 4.1 are on UHF and may come in fine for you. A step up would be something like the Zenith Silver Sensor directional UHF antenna, which is not expensive - but does cost more than a loop or bow tie. Heck, for testing you could even try rabbit ears just to see how it goes.

Dennis
post #1512 of 3802 Old 01-09-2007, 05:18 PM

I'm using a viewSonic TV; you're right in that it doesn't have a QAM tuner but it does have ATSC. In fact, I tried putting the cable directly into the TV just to make sure. I'm not too far from downtown, but since I'm on the first floor and there's some two-floor buildings around, I'll just have to try to see what kind of signals I get. I guess the antenna hunt starts now!
post #1513 of 3802 Old 01-10-2007, 04:53 PM

Yesterday, I received a mailer from Comcast warning that their negotiations with Sinclair for carriage of Sinclair's HD stations are still ongoing with Feb 2 being the cutoff date unless an agreement is reached.

While I do understand the business behind not "rolling over" for any and all rate increases from content providers, I get a little preturbed when my mailbox is littered with propaganda urging me to contact Sinclair (and I also am aware that Sinclair is problematic with most carriers). But, in an era when cable co's are recording record profits and still raising rates, I detest having to listen to their whining and solicitation to "write a letter."

In fact, this was the reason I left Dish Network in the first place.

Does this aggrevate anyone else here?
post #1514 of 3802 Old 01-10-2007, 10:35 PM

I am OK with it. The NFL season is winding down and with the exception of a few PO'ed American Idol fans, I don't expect much of a reaction one way or the other. Let Sinclair run a test pattern all night long....their loss, not mine.
post #1515 of 3802 Old 01-11-2007, 07:57 AM

check this out....pics of the comcast tivo interface.....I want this now! Anyone know when it'll come our way?

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/01/09...pics-features/
post #1516 of 3802 Old 01-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

So i'm surfing for new channels this past weekend, 'cause every once in a while, I'm hoping Comcast will adde a few I got to 103-09, and noticed what seemed to be an X-rated movie! But, the picture would freeze and kinda fastforward.

I don't subscribe to SHO, Spice or any of those channels. What is this channel?

nc
post #1517 of 3802 Old 01-11-2007, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTNN View Post

I am OK with it. The NFL season is winding down and with the exception of a few PO'ed American Idol fans, I don't expect much of a reaction one way or the other. Let Sinclair run a test pattern all night long....their loss, not mine.

Nascar fans will disagree, this will not be pretty in Feb.

Jerry
post #1518 of 3802 Old 01-11-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillecat View Post

So i'm surfing for new channels this past weekend, 'cause every once in a while, I'm hoping Comcast will adde a few I got to 103-09, and noticed what seemed to be an X-rated movie! But, the picture would freeze and kinda fastforward.

I don't subscribe to SHO, Spice or any of those channels. What is this channel?

nc

Sounds like you happened upon a neighbor watching On-Demand.
post #1519 of 3802 Old 01-12-2007, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Hello All,

Looking for some general feedback: I live in Murfreesboro and will be switching soon to Comcast from D* due to D*'s HD Lite and because I'll be getting the Tivo S3. My question is this: How does the Comcast analog SD look in comparison to D*'s SD on your HDTV displays?

I'm hearing general rumblings that in many places, Comcast analog SD is starting to look better than D* because a) Comcast is getting slightly better in that regard, and b) D*'s SD has progressively gotton worse over time. Is that true of Nashville/Murfreesboro?

Generally speaking, will they look about the same on an HDTV display? Are there noticable differences? What is your take on this?
post #1520 of 3802 Old 01-12-2007, 08:09 AM

Didn't Comcast and Sinclair go through this about this time last year until one or both of them blinked?

As much distaste as I have for cable companies in general and Comcast in particular, Sinclair is far worse IMHO: This kind of last-minute screw-twisting is just crazy. Comcast obviously had no problems arriving at deals for any of the other 200+ channels they carry, but one regional provider wants them to pay through the nose for something they could pick up OTA and rebroadcast intact?

Give me a ing break.

-John
post #1521 of 3802 Old 01-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mike, Comcast now has digital simulcast for their SD channels. So if you pick up one of the newer all-digital-only set top boxes like the 3416 DVR for example you will only be able to get the SD channels in MPEG-2 digital just like from satellite.

I used to be a Dish customer, and in my opinion Comcast provides a better digital SD quality than Dish was providing me 2 years back.
post #1522 of 3802 Old 01-12-2007, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
does Comcast have new HDTV boxes that they are handing out as well or just digital SD boxes only? We have 3 DCT-5100 boxes...
post #1523 of 3802 Old 01-13-2007, 07:30 PM

I've been successfully watching the usual OTA HD channels (NBC, CBS, ABC, INHD, etc) for quite a few months on my Sony Bravia with my Comcast Basic Analog cable service. Within the last couple of days they have disappeared! I'm no longer able to get any digital signals into the TV.

Has Comcast changed something? Do I have other options apart from "finally" upgrading to Digital cable? I was quite satisfied with the few channels I was receiving.

thanks for any ideas or input.
post #1524 of 3802 Old 01-15-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

does Comcast have new HDTV boxes that they are handing out as well or just digital SD boxes only? We have 3 DCT-5100 boxes...

Comcast supplied me with a Motorola DCT3416-I set top box and I love it.

BluRay titles - 46 and counting
BluRay players - PS3 and BDP-S1
post #1525 of 3802 Old 01-15-2007, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Well, the new VS and Golf HD channel appeared today. Does this channel have ANY HD content? What a waste of bandwidth!

Rick
post #1526 of 3802 Old 01-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

I think it's supposed to have some NHL hockey?
post #1527 of 3802 Old 01-16-2007, 02:56 AM
Advanced Member

there was a Red Wings game from VS. on last night.
post #1528 of 3802 Old 01-16-2007, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 50
OK, that's one show in 24 hours. Wheeee.

Rick
post #1529 of 3802 Old 01-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

It's not listed but the FSN south feed of the Predators- Red Wings game is on INHD in HD!

(EDIT) I stumbled across the game while channel surfing between periods. There was no announcement of the broadcast that I heard about. There was no sort of "Presented in HD" logo on either the SD (Ch. 28) broadcast or the HD (Ch. 206) broadcast and no mention of the HD airing by the announcers. Must have been a test by FSN South. It was our local broadcast with Pete Webber and Terry Crisp calling the game and local commercials. The game looked great! Commercials were in 4:3 and the game was only in 2ch stereo sound. There a few production glitches in the early part of the game (commercials not comming on and such.) Hopefully we can expect either a FSN HD channel or at least Preds or Grizzlies games getting aired in HD soon.
post #1530 of 3802 Old 01-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Tonights Predators - Blackhawks game is also being aired on InHD. Pete Webber even mentioned the fact it's the first home game broadcast in high def durring the pregame. So I guess we can look forward to HD Preds games from here on.

It looks really good too, except they interviewed David Legwand during the pre game, he had cuts all over his face, a black eye (purple actually) and a missing tooth maybe HD ain't such a good idea for hockey they look pretty rough in 1080i LOL.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page