4Likes

post #361 of 26587 Old 12-14-2003, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by LisaM
"Losing channels" means that, when I move from 704 to 705, all I get is a blank screen. Sometimes I can get the channel back by going to 706 and then going back to 705. More often, I can't tune in 705 until I reboot the box.

Strange. I have the Pioneer 3510, and have had it for as long as TWC has offered it, and I have never encountered this particular problem.
Sounds like a bad box, even though I believe you said this is not your first one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 26587 Old 12-14-2003, 06:38 PM

Little help? I got the Pioneer 3510 HD box yesterday to replace the SA3100 TWCNYC brought me last week. I tried to use the DVI out to my Panasonic TH-50PHD6UY plasma with the DVI blade. No joy. I get the following message on Input 1 on my plasma:

"Please connect the set-top to an HDTV set. See the operating instructions."

Now, we know that this is an HDTV set, so why the message and no DVI signal? The 3510 works fine through component. Presumably, the box is sending some kind of signal becuase the message is displayed. Similarly, the plasma must be reading something because the message shows up.

I've tried shutting everything down and rebooting, etc. I haven't called TWC yet (which I'll do tomorrow, but I'm not optimistic).

The TWC tech said the DVI-out on the box is disabled and he had seen this message before. He didn't seem to know how the problem had been resolved in these prior experiences. When I ordered the box, TWC said it was DVI enabled.

I'm baffled. I specifically wanted the 3510 to use the DVI. Does anyone else have a pioneer 3510 hooked up through DVI to a Panasonic commercial plasma? Anyone else have this problem on a Panasonic or any other set?
post #363 of 26587 Old 12-14-2003, 06:38 PM

Little help? I got the Pioneer 3510 HD box yesterday to replace the SA3100 TWCNYC brought me last week. I tried to use the DVI out to my Panasonic TH-50PHD6UY plasma with the DVI blade. No joy. I get the following message on Input 1 on my plasma:

"Please connect the set-top to an HDTV set. See the operating instructions."

Now, we know that this is an HDTV set, so why the message and no DVI signal? The 3510 works fine through component. Presumably, the box is sending some kind of signal becuase the message is displayed. Similarly, the plasma must be reading something because the message shows up.

I've tried shutting everything down and rebooting, etc. I haven't called TWC yet (which I'll do tomorrow, but I'm not optimistic).

The TWC tech said the DVI-out on the box is disabled and he had seen this message before. He didn't seem to know how the problem had been resolved in these prior experiences. When I ordered the box, TWC said it was DVI enabled.

I'm baffled. I specifically wanted the 3510 to use the DVI. Does anyone else have a pioneer 3510 hooked up through DVI to a Panasonic commercial plasma? Anyone else have this problem on a Panasonic or any other set?
post #364 of 26587 Old 12-14-2003, 06:46 PM

Yes, I had the exact same problem on my Philips 60PP9502 rear projection set.

No idea what the problem is though, but some HDTVs just aren't working with the 3510's DVI connection.
post #365 of 26587 Old 12-14-2003, 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MikeNY718
Yes, I had the exact same problem on my Philips 60PP9502 rear projection set.

No idea what the problem is though, but some HDTVs just aren't working with the 3510's DVI connection.

Did you find a solution? I only have one component input and really need the DVI to avoid having to switch through my receiver (don't want to buy 2 extra component cables).
post #366 of 26587 Old 12-14-2003, 08:59 PM

the problem (which has been discussed in the RPTV forum) with the DVI is being resolved by pioneer. Supposedly they already have the code written and it is in the testing phase. It may or may not work depending on the display currently. If you search in the RPTV forum you will find a large thread regarding this and I believe I posted a link to it already in this thread. I will double check later when I have more time and edit this post.

- JB
post #367 of 26587 Old 12-14-2003, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Sickman:

I am in the same boat. Got the Pioneer box to use DVI and its a no-go. I have a Pioneer 503CMX and I was told DVI does not work on the 5002 video card for my plasma. I think it works with the aurora card... however the aurora card does not pass the signal through DVI natively... so it kinda defeats the benefit of DVI.

I am still glad I got the Pioneer box though... i hear its a much better box anyways.

Oh... and good luck dealing with Time Warner. They will just say they dont support DVI. Its not in any of their documentation.
post #368 of 26587 Old 12-15-2003, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by DjPiLL
Sickman:

Oh... and good luck dealing with Time Warner. They will just say they dont support DVI. Its not in any of their documentation.

Not quite correct. TWCNYC's web site does refer to the 3510's DVI output feature. It is not disabled, but it is incompatible with many but not all DVI-equipped TVs. The 3510's DVI incompatibility problem has been thoroughly aired in several threads, especially Error message when connecting, etc..

Forsan et haec olim meminisse juvabit. -- Popeye

Passport 2.6.002
Samsung 500 GB SATA2 HD501LJ
Apricorn EZ-BUS-DTS-EKIT
post #369 of 26587 Old 12-15-2003, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Is the 3510 the latest box for HDTV's with only component imputs?

See My AVS Classified Ad .
post #370 of 26587 Old 12-15-2003, 01:20 PM

I have a 3510 hooked up to a Fujitsu plasma. When the cable (TWC)company first came out the dvi didn't work and they were going to sent another tech out. I began fooling around and found a menu item on the plasma dispay that needed to be set to accept the DVI input in place of one of the RGB inputs. All began working.
post #371 of 26587 Old 12-15-2003, 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Blue Rain
Is the 3510 the latest box for HDTV's with only component imputs?

The box has DVI, Component, and Composite video outs. No coax.
post #372 of 26587 Old 12-15-2003, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Finally, a answer!

Thankyou so much MrKaos!

Blue

See My AVS Classified Ad .
post #373 of 26587 Old 12-15-2003, 08:38 PM

Right now I have 2 cable boxes hooked up to my TV, SA8000 for DVR and SA3100HD for HD. Im sick of having to use 2 boxes and not being able to record HD material. I have heard that the Scientific Atlanta 8000HD has been released by TW in Minnesota. Anyone heard anything about when the 8000HD will be coming to NYC.
post #374 of 26587 Old 12-15-2003, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Officially it's 1st Quarter, 2004. Someone reported that a CSR said the first week of 2004, but I suspect that s/he was mistaken or mis-heard.

Rich
post #375 of 26587 Old 12-17-2003, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Not a lot of new news to report around here lately since we all got Discovery HD, so I thought I would add that TWC in CA is adding INHD and, get this, HDNET this month! This is the first I've heard of any TWC division adding HDNET.

Here is the thread....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=328620

Very interesting. Looks like it's time for us to start our Petition!

Drew
post #376 of 26587 Old 12-17-2003, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Upon further research, it looks like this is a corporate deal. Now I am psyched!

http://www.hd.net/2003-prarchive/2003-12-16-01.html

---------------------------
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contacts:
Time Warner Cable HDNet
Keith Cocozza Mark Cuban
keith.cocozza@twcable.com mark@hd.net
203-351-2039

Time Warner Cable Adds HDNet And HDNet Movies To High-Def Lineup

Bolsters Robust High Definition Offering and Helps to Create New HD Destination Tier for Time Warner Cable Customers

STAMFORD, CT, December 16, 2003 -- Time Warner Cable today announced a carriage agreement with HDNet and HDNet Movies for inclusion in its high definition programming line up. The two channels will accompany iN DEMAND's two INHD channels on a high definition destination tier, available to Time Warner Cable HD customers at an incremental retail cost.

Time Warner Cable will continue to deliver its robust HD basic lineup at no additional charge, which includes high definition programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, WB, UPN, HBO, Showtime, Discovery HD Theater and select Fox Sports regional sports networks.

"HDNet's collection of live, original and licensed high definition programming is a perfect addition to our burgeoning HD offering," said Chuck Ellis, executive vice president and chief marketing officer for Time Warner Cable. "Creating a premium HDTV tier is the next logical step as we continue to deliver on our promise to provide customers with the best in choice, value and control available for high definition programming."

Launched in September of 2001, HDNet became the world's first national television network broadcasting all of its programming in spectacular 1080i high definition. HDNet produces and televises more original high definition than any other domestic network. Original HDNet series include "HDNet World Report," "Across America," "HDNet Concert Series," "True Music," the "NHL on HDNet," the "MLS on HDNet," and "Higher Definition."

"With more original programming shot in HD than any other network, and with more movies premiering in HD (and in their Original Aspect Ratio) than any other network, we're excited to be partnering with Time Warner Cable, to bring HDNet and HDNet Movies to their HD customers," said Mark Cuban, president and co-founder of HDNet.

Time Warner Cable is growing its high-definition programming line-up by expanding the number of value-added HD channels that have standard definition counterparts already being offered, and by adding new premium high-definition services. Time Warner Cable is not charging additional fees for its value-added HD programming. It will offer premium HD services in a destination tier at an incremental retail cost. Currently, Time Warner Cable carries more high definition programming than any other cable operator.

Time Warner Cable currently makes high-definition television capable set-top boxes available to 98 percent of its customer base. Time Warner Cable owns and manages cable systems serving 10.9 million subscribers in 27 states, which include some of the most technologically advanced, best-clustered cable systems in the country with more than 75% of the Company's customers in systems of 300,000 subscribers or more. Utilizing a fully upgraded advanced cable network and a steadfast commitment to providing consumers with choice, value and world-class customer service, Time Warner Cable is an industry leader in delivering advanced products and services such as video on demand, high definition television, high-speed data, wireless home networking and digital video recorders. Time Warner Cable is a subsidiary of Time Warner Inc.

HDNet, (www.hd.net), the leader in high definition broadcasting, produces and televises more hours of original HDTV sports, entertainment and news programming each week than any other network. Original HDNet series include the groundbreaking HDNet World Report, Across America, True Music, HDNet Concert Series, Bikini Destinations, Get Out, and Higher Definition - Celebrity Interviews. Licensed programming includes series from Paramount, Warner Brothers and Sony. HDNet Movies broadcasts 24/7 full-length feature films from Warner Bros, New Line, Paramount, MGM, Buena Vista, Lions Gate, Artisan and Sony Pictures Television. HDNet Movies also features movies produced and finished in true 1080i high-definition. Live HDNet sports productions include National Hockey League games, Major League Soccer games, The HDNet Horse Racing Challenge, CART auto racing, Boxing Explosion, and college football and basketball games. Co-founded by Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks, and General Manager Philip Garvin, the HDNet networks are also available on Charter Communications, Insight Communications, DIRECTV, DISH Network, and several NCTC cable affiliate companies.
post #377 of 26587 Old 12-17-2003, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This would really be great. I saw HDNet at my parents' home in Florida and the sports broadcasts are really great.

Interesting that CA has The WB and we still do not.

Hopefully, HDNet will be the first of several new channels added....soon.
post #378 of 26587 Old 12-17-2003, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I'm really starting to hate TWC-NYC... Why are we so behind?

Phil C.
"Where does he get all those wonderful toys"
Jack Nicholson as the Joker in Batman
post #379 of 26587 Old 12-17-2003, 11:46 AM

This has nothing to do with high def but it might be a DISASTER for twc-nyc sports fans. There is a scroll running on the weather channel that says basically tht cablevision has denied a TWC-NYC request to renew MSG and FSNY and the contract expires Jan. 1/2004. It also said if it's not resolved the stations would disappear from the cable lineup and we would all get a $2 amonth reimbursement. That would mean no Knicks, Rangers and Mets for everyone in Manhattan except for RCN and satellite customers. This HAS to be a bluff. I don't see how those sports franchises could allow this.
post #380 of 26587 Old 12-17-2003, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Oh come on we're not that far behind. Of all the ones they carry overall:
"ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, WB, UPN, HBO, Showtime, Discovery HD Theater and select Fox Sports regional sports networks. "

...the only ones we don't have yet are WB, UPN and the Fox stuff. And now InHD of course. Clearly the glass is at least half full, especially since WB and UPN show so little HD.

My biggest question is this: they say we'll get these "at an incremental retail cost."

Any thoughts? Don't get me wrong, this is great news, and a great find Drew, thanks! But I wonder how much they'll start to charge us as they add more?

TM

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #381 of 26587 Old 12-17-2003, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
BelB64: That sounds a lot like what happened to Cablevision and the YES Network, which precluded a lot of NYC viewers from watching the Yankees for a year.
post #382 of 26587 Old 12-17-2003, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Anthony,

TWC is a joke. How do other TWC's around the country have things that we do not? Why are Austin, Texas and Kansas City ahead of NYC when it comes to HD? It just doesn't make sense. You get Fox in HD? I don't. I get channel 705 in whopping 480i WS format, not even 480p. What about INHD, HDNET, WB, UPN, Starz, Cinemax, TMC, ESPN, MSG, & FSNY? INHD is the biggest joke of all since TWC is an investor in the company. I for one would gladly pay to have all the content available. The glass is half full, but it should be overflowing here in NY.

Phil C.
post #383 of 26587 Old 12-17-2003, 05:08 PM

I just got something in the mail about TWC NYC increasing my massive monthly bill by $5.00/month. I don't know what to do since I will want the HD PVR as soon as it's available and I will want the new HD movie tier. I will need another job to afford all this technology.
I wonder if other TWCs around the country are also in the process of increasing rates...
post #384 of 26587 Old 12-17-2003, 06:16 PM

They increase at this time every year. Why do you think they added Discovery HD recently and several other channels (non-hd). "It's our money at work" right? All a big scam, but as far as cable goes, I have seen sooooooooo much worst.

- JB
post #385 of 26587 Old 12-17-2003, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

I will be the first to say... if TWC ceases broadcast of FoxSports and MSG... I am officially done with them and ill give RCN a call.
post #386 of 26587 Old 12-17-2003, 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by anthonymoody
Oh come on we're not that far behind. Of all the ones they carry overall:
"ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, WB, UPN, HBO, Showtime, Discovery HD Theater and select Fox Sports regional sports networks. "

...the only ones we don't have yet are WB, UPN and the Fox stuff. And now InHD of course. Clearly the glass is at least half full, especially since WB and UPN show so little HD.

My biggest question is this: they say we'll get these "at an incremental retail cost."

Any thoughts? Don't get me wrong, this is great news, and a great find Drew, thanks! But I wonder how much they'll start to charge us as they add more?

TM

I disagree. TWCNYC's HD offerings are among the skimpiest of any TWC affiliate (some affiliates may have the same number of stations as we do, but I doubt any have fewer and plenty have more).

The worst part of it is that HDTV does not seem to be a priority at all with TWCNYC. Today it took me 25 minutes before I was connected with someone who I was told "might" know something about an announcement regarding an HD Tier. Actually, "connected" is the incorrect word. I left a message for a woman in public affairs who then left me a message saying, that "it must have been a Time Warner Cable corporate announcement and that TWCNYC didn't have any information at this point."

I understand the way corporations work and that it takes time for information to trickle out. But Time Warner Cable is headquartered in Stamford, Conn, a stone's throw from NYC. And Time Warner is headquartered here. Why do TWC affiliates in San Diego and Cincinatti have these channels added weeks or months before we do? Why are they able to speak to competent customer service reps, when we have to waste the better part of an hour being transferred from operator to operator before speaking to someone who knows something about HDTV? Can you remember a single example of TWCNYC being the "first" at ANYTHING? I mean, TWC Hawaii had the PVR (non-HD model) in March of this year. We had to wait until August or September.

I've said this before: We're paying upwards of $100 a month to TWCNYC for cable (and internet) service. We deserve competent help and an HD lineup that matches that of other TWC affiliates.
post #387 of 26587 Old 12-17-2003, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

What jergans said...Ditto.

Phil C.
post #388 of 26587 Old 12-17-2003, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

got notice today, TW rates increase FEB 1, 04, I hope they expand the HDTV programing.
post #389 of 26587 Old 12-18-2003, 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DjPiLL
I will be the first to say... if TWC ceases broadcast of FoxSports and MSG... I am officially done with them and ill give RCN a call.

Anyone know what HD box RCN uses? DVI? DVR?
post #390 of 26587 Old 12-18-2003, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Rcn.com, in its HDTV section spells out their latest hardware. I have RCN's Motorola 5100 (non DVR & DVI) with the 4-channel HD tier plus NBC, ABC, PBS, Fox (480i/p). Some NYC areas can get a new Motorola DVR/converter now, but not sure if it has active DVI. (Search for the recent local RCN thread title, where someone has a brief review of the RCN DVR/converter.) If TWC kicks in all those announced new channels one of these years, I'd drop the RCN tier and add TWC's HD tier to my current 'it's all here' subscription, which now duplicates all but three RCN HD channels (2 HDNets, ESPN-HD). -- John
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page