Old 12-26-2003, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Originally posted by MikeNY718
Moving just THREE of the least popular networks from analog to digital would provide enough bandwidth to add 36 standard-definition digital channels or 6 HD channels.

The problem is that many networks negotiate to be on analog in order to reach a larger customer base.

You can't overstate the enormity of this issue. I was on the inside of a negotiation b/t TWC and a cable network that was added w/in the last few years, and the major sticking point was getting on the analog spectrum. It wound up almost being a deal breaker and the network had to make *major* concessions in order to get the analog slot.

I can't say for certain that every network that currently has an analog slot has it written in so ironclad fashion in their contract with TWC, but I *can* tell you that there is no way in hell TWC will ever move this particular network into digital. If they did they'd incur a prohibitively material penalty. In fact, the language states that even if subs somehow *increased* with a move to a digital slot (which will never happen...it would never be better than an even swap), it requires the network's approval, which they have no particular incentive to give. Would you trade a 'low' channel number for a high one? Not likely.

TM

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2003, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I can't say for certain that every network that currently has an analog slot has it written in so ironclad fashion in their contract with TWC, but I *can* tell you that there is no way in hell TWC will ever move this particular network into digital. If they did they'd incur a prohibitively material penalty. In fact, the language states that even if subs somehow *increased* with a move to a digital slot (which will never happen...it would never be better than an even swap), it requires the network's approval, which they have no particular incentive to give. Would you trade a 'low' channel number for a high one? Not likely.

Once again, as with most issues, the "bandwidth" problem TWC speaks of is really more of a political one than a technical one...
Old 12-26-2003, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Actually I'd say it's more of a legal one (if what I said is true of other cable networks as well). At the end of the day, they are bandwidth constrained. They don't have enough digital spectrum to just add more HD channels willy nilly. [I like saying willy nilly]. The pipe as it stands has little room around the edges. The question of why doesn't change that reality unfortunately

TM

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
Old 12-27-2003, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

UPDATE:

Ok... I just called TWC-NYC and the CSR I spoke to said that Cablevision and Time Warner came to an agreement regarding MSG/FOXSports so the channels will not be removed.

I called because I went on twcnyc.com and saw the notice was taken off. The CSR I spoke to said Time Warner will make a public announcement regarding this sometime in early January. I did ask if these would ever go Hi-Def and I got the usual answer, "Well... the more people that order hi-def boxes... will determine if we add more hi-def channels". Blah.

Well at least I don't have to switch to RCN (for now). I thought you would all like to know this.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Old 12-27-2003, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
thanks for the updates. i guess i won't be cancelling my TWC subscription after all. sure wish they could add MSG-HD though...maybe next year.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by broadwayblue
sure wish they could add MSG-HD though...maybe next year.

if we're lucky.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:47 PM

I find the main problem is people who won't upgrade to digital cable. Analog signals take up a hell of a lot more bandwidth. I have a friend who is like that and doesn't even have a remote for his box. He actually gets up to change the channel accross the room. He just refuses to upgrade yet comes over all the time and watches ondemand and HD at my place. Funny thing is that every time he complains there aren't enough hd channels, I tell him about this and he still won't upgrade his cable! People are just complacent with their service and don''t see the "greater good." Until TWCNYC puts more pressure by removing more and more analog channels, we arent going to see a large increase in HD unless the come up with some new method of squeezing more in.

- JB
Old 12-27-2003, 10:10 PM

I don't know if I buy this bandwith excuse. How was TWC able to give us INHD 1 in Staten Island for almost a month on channel 708 after it launched before it mysteriously vanished without explanation. What ..they had bandwith to carry the channel and then suddenly did not?
Old 12-28-2003, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Did they add DiscoveryHD on Staten Island since then?

Rich
Old 12-28-2003, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

ok, here's a good one for you.

I used to have an HD box (SA3100HD) and a regular digital box (hooked up to ReplayTV) all on one television.

When the DVR came out, I got rid of both boxes and just had 1 box - the DVR.

I just called up to see if I can go pick up a new HD box. The rep told me this: I cannot pick up the box, it must be installed, b/c I am not trading it with the DVR, but adding it in additon to.

That will cost $30 for install.

Also, my DVR will go up from $7 to $9, b/c I got it on special, and as soon as you make any service changes, they take specials away.

And, the HD box will be an additional $7 for the box, which I expected.

So, it looks like I am not going to do this. Because of their backwards policy, they will not be getting more money from me.

Doesn't this seem like a dumb policy?

Also, the rep said they expect the HD DVR first quarter - same as usual. Hopefully, it will be nearer to Jan, as it looks like I won't have HD until I get the HD DVR and trade it in for my regualr DVR.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Man, I leave this place for a week and two pages of comments go up! Terrible news on the HDNET and INHD channels being pushed off until the fall, that certainly is 'next year" per Bob Watson's scripted e-mail.

MSG and Fox would be nice, but the whole cablevision thing makes me think that those channels wont be added anytime soon.

The whole analog cable channel thing is a major debacle for the cable companies. The cost to support these channels is huge, but it's still the majority of subscribers (and thiefs who don't pay for, but receive analog cable).

I also don't believe the bandwith issues, but I guess it's better than "we have no information".

Can't wait for the HD DVR. I'm sure it will be March 31st since that is still technically the 1st quarter.

Drew
Old 12-28-2003, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Can I use the component & DVI output on the pio 3510 at the same time? I have two sets, a fuji plasma and an older rptv. I'd like to feed the dvi output of the 3510 to the fuji, and the component output to the rptv.

I've read in some thread somewhere that when you use dvi, the component output is limited to a low res signal. Is that true?

I currently have a 3100HD. Seems most people prefer the 3510. Any downside to swapping the 3100HD for the 3510HD? I think I read somewhere that the sd output from the svideo is worse on the 3510. Is that true?

Thx

Alex
Old 12-28-2003, 08:16 PM

Actually, when you use the DVI output, the component output becomes completely disabled. You can only use one or the other.

What purpose that serves, I have no idea.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks mike. I suppose the purpose is to annoy me . If I physically disconnect the dvi, does the component magically get enabled? Or do I need to go through menus.

Have you tried the svideo output on std def channels? How is it compared to the 3100?

Alex
Old 12-29-2003, 05:27 AM

Once you disconnect the DVI, the component becomes enabled again. You may have to reset the box (I don't remember), but there are no menus that you have to mess around with.

As for the 3100HD, I don't know... I never had one. But even on S-Video, I find the Pioneer to be as good as my old 2100 SD box.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:06 PM

according to this article time warner only has 25,000 high def customers in the nyc area (i'm not sure when the article was written)

http://www.nynewsday.com/business/ny...ort-navigation

We need more than that to get them to give us more high def channels.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by shk718
according to this article time warner only has 25,000 high def customers in the nyc area (i'm not sure when the article was written)

http://www.nynewsday.com/business/ny...ort-navigation

We need more than that to get them to give us more high def channels.

25,000 x $100 per month = $2.5 million a month or $30 million a year. Without getting into TWC's cost structure, that sounds like a revenue source worth keeping happy. And it ain't shrinking!
Old 12-30-2003, 02:55 PM

My sister-in-law just got her Pioneer HD box (not sure which one). They (TWC) hooked it up to her HDTV with a std RCA cable (the yellow one) for video and the red and white audio cables. Should they have given her component cables or a DVI cable? She is getting video on the HD channels, I haven't been to her apartment to see what it looks like but she says it appears to be HD. She's in Manhattan. I live in CT and Cablevision gives you component cables when the install the SA4200HD box.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:36 PM

you definately need componant cables. Call TWCNYC. She is not getting HD. This seems to be a common problem as the TWC reps don't know what they are doing a lot of the time with HD. BTW - There is only 1 pioneer HD box for twcnyc.

- JB
Old 12-30-2003, 08:18 PM

It is disgraceful that TWCNYC charges to install an HD box and many of the techs do not know that you MUST use component cables to view high definition. I wonder how many TWCNYC subscribers don't realize that their TV isn't hooked up correctly. I bet it's quite a few as this isn't an isolated incident. As I've previously posted, it happened to me and a couple of friends.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by lmitch55
. Should they have given her component cables or a DVI cable? She is getting video on the HD channels, I haven't been to her apartment to see what it looks like but she says it appears to be HD. She's in Manhattan. I live in CT and Cablevision gives you component cables when the install the SA4200HD box.

Your sister will need either component cables or a DVI cable to view HD signals in HD (the Pioneer box outputs only 480i when other cables are used). And I would be astounded to hear that TWCNYC will supply either of those. DVI is probably the better choice, but the Pioneer box's DVI output is incompatible with a number of HDTVs with DVI inputs. She should just buy a good quality but not overpriced set of component cables at her favorite retailer and, if she's feeding the box's audio to a receiver (instead of the TV) a digital audio cable if she wants to be able to enjoy DD 5.1.

Since your sister thinks that what she's seeing now looks like what she imagines HD might look like, just have her view Channels 706 or 713 after she's properly hooked up.

Forsan et haec olim meminisse juvabit. -- Popeye

Passport 2.6.002
Samsung 500 GB SATA2 HD501LJ
Apricorn EZ-BUS-DTS-EKIT
Old 12-30-2003, 09:22 PM

twcnyc will provide componant. They are actually of good quallity supposedly.

- JB
Old 12-30-2003, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mrkaos
twcnyc will provide componant. They are actually of good quallity supposedly.

- JB

If so, JB, I stand corrected (I also sit corrected). TWCNYC has installed two SA3100HDs and two Pioneer 3510HDs in my apartment (at different times), and none of the "installers" came with any cables, component, DVI, or otherwise.

Forsan et haec olim meminisse juvabit. -- Popeye

Passport 2.6.002
Samsung 500 GB SATA2 HD501LJ
Apricorn EZ-BUS-DTS-EKIT
Old 12-30-2003, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One question: because my TV has a DVI input should I use the DVI output?

I'm not able to get DVI to work with either of my two fuji plasmas. I get the dreaded "connect your cable to an HDTV" message. The component signal looks fine.

Quote:

If so, JB, I stand corrected (I also sit corrected

I can verify that when you pick up a 3510 from the 23rd st office, you get a (fairly decent) set of component cables.

Quote:

25,000 x $100 per month = $2.5 million

$100/month for hi-def? I haven't been charged anything extra yet (though I suspect that will change now that I swapped my 3100 for a 3510).

Alex
Old 12-30-2003, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the IR port on the 3510 an IR INPUT port, or an OUTPUT port?

Alex
Old 12-31-2003, 08:48 AM

I've been hearing that the IN-HD 1 & 2 along with ESPN-HD and others, when they come in the fall, will be a separate tier that will cost extra ( $9 + ).
Does anybody know?
Old 12-31-2003, 12:11 PM

Work Permit -- I also get the dreaded message. I figure about $100/month total as a rough average guesstimate for people with HD. If you want, use $75. I think my point is about 3/4 as strong in that case.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

sickman

I get it. You mean your TOTAL bill. Thats true, one approach to servicing your customers is to make them happy.

I think Time Warner uses another approach. They figure I'll pay $100/month no matter how many hi-def channels they provide. As long as I don't switch to direct-tv (not practical when you live in a manhatten apartment), they could care less how happy I am.

I like your approach.

Alex
Old 01-01-2004, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
very true...although i think you meant to say that "they couldn't care less."