New York, NY - TWC - Page 241 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #7201 of 26721 Old 04-16-2006, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Nets on YES-HD right now, not on guide.

Email Melinda Witmer at TWC Corporate, the SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT & CHIEF PROGRAMMING OFFICER if you want more HD Channels!!!
Melinda.Witmer@twcable.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7202 of 26721 Old 04-16-2006, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHDTV View Post

I'm over on 30th and haven't experienced any problems, I've been debating weather or not to swith to Digital Phone, your story is adding to my fear of the phone going down.

TW Digital phone is not VoIP
post #7203 of 26721 Old 04-16-2006, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV Freak View Post

TW Digital phone is not VoIP

Excuse the confusion

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keat...oip-to-nyc.asp

Email Melinda Witmer at TWC Corporate, the SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT & CHIEF PROGRAMMING OFFICER if you want more HD Channels!!!
post #7204 of 26721 Old 04-17-2006, 04:38 PM

anyone know why I have the green/purple bars on my HD channels?

Also, I'm thinking of going with the CableCARD (yes I know theres no Interactive abilities), but the TWC guy told me you can't get HDExtra with one. Is this true? Doesn't the HDExtra just require them to send a signal with the extra channels? I don't understand why they can't send the signal for HDExtra, he said that the STB can descramble it, but the CableCARD cannot. My TV has 8 VSB, ATSC, NTSC, and Clear QAM tuner, is this not good enough?

I've tried plugging the cable straight into the TV without a STB or a Card, and I pick up about 150 channels (about 80 are digital). I get HD Channels from 1.2 to 1.13. What good is the CableCARD then if he's telling me that it does no more than what the TV can already do??
post #7205 of 26721 Old 04-18-2006, 06:42 AM

If the CableCARD sounds that bad to you, is it really worth getting over a STB?

From the many different posts I have read here and in other forums, the CableCARD does not sound too impressive. Yes, the STB takes up a little space, but I want all the features I can get for my money.

Sounds to me like you should wait a bit for an improved CableCARD.

Samsung SMT-H3090, XBox 360 Elite, Sony BRAVIA KDL-52XBR4
post #7206 of 26721 Old 04-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslingin View Post

anyone know why I have the green/purple bars on my HD channels?

Also, I'm thinking of going with the CableCARD (yes I know theres no Interactive abilities), but the TWC guy told me you can't get HDExtra with one. Is this true? Doesn't the HDExtra just require them to send a signal with the extra channels? I don't understand why they can't send the signal for HDExtra, he said that the STB can descramble it, but the CableCARD cannot. My TV has 8 VSB, ATSC, NTSC, and Clear QAM tuner, is this not good enough?

I've tried plugging the cable straight into the TV without a STB or a Card, and I pick up about 150 channels (about 80 are digital). I get HD Channels from 1.2 to 1.13. What good is the CableCARD then if he's telling me that it does no more than what the TV can already do??

If you correctly understood what you were told, what you were told is incorrect. I have both a CC and the 8300HD DVR and can receive all the HDExtra channels on both of them. What the CC can't receive is any program that requires 2-way communications between the card and the headend, such as the on-demand and PPV channels.

Forsan et haec olim meminisse juvabit. -- Popeye

Passport 2.6.002
Samsung 500 GB SATA2 HD501LJ
Apricorn EZ-BUS-DTS-EKIT
post #7207 of 26721 Old 04-18-2006, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Time Warner Eyes Clips' Service

http://www.multichannel.com/index.as...leid=CA6325095

post #7208 of 26721 Old 04-18-2006, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Upcoming HD Games

04/18
NY Mets 7:00pm SNY-HD
NY Rangers 7:00pm MSG-HD

04/19
NY Mets 1:00pm SNY-HD
NY Knicks 7:30pm MSG-HD
NJ Nets 7:30pm YES-HD

04/20

04/21

04/22
NY Yankees 1:00pm YES-HD

04/23
NY Yankees 1:00pm YES-HD

post #7209 of 26721 Old 04-19-2006, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHDTV View Post

Time Warner Eyes Clips' Service

http://www.multichannel.com/index.as...leid=CA6325095

More than just confirmation of the "clips" service, here is the black-and-white confirmation of the replacement of the "navigator" (guide) app on our DVRs with TWC's own that will integrate the VOD/HD/Start Over service with the main channel through an "Enhanced TV" button on the remote.

Definitely worth a read for everyone on this forum, and probably anyone who has TWC as a provider.

Can't wait to see the bugs in this one! Ugh.
post #7210 of 26721 Old 04-19-2006, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post

More than just confirmation of the "clips" service, here is the black-and-white confirmation of the replacement of the "navigator" (guide) app on our DVRs with TWC's own that will integrate the VOD/HD/Start Over service with the main channel through an "Enhanced TV" button on the remote.

Definitely worth a read for everyone on this forum, and probably anyone who has TWC as a provider.

I just hope the S3 Tivo is out by then so I can dump my 8300.

Although I think I read somewhere that if your cable company goes to switched digital broadcasting (which I thought TW was planning to do), then cablecards will require two-way communication and the Tivo is only going to be one-way, meaning the S3 may not even work with TWC.

Anyone know how close we are to switched broadcasting and whether or not this is true.

Seems like a convenient way for the cable companies to force you to use their boxes and dump the cable cards.
post #7211 of 26721 Old 04-19-2006, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

With the new guide, viewers will be able to press the Enhanced TV button on the remote control while watching a network's scheduled programming and see links for Start Over; Quick Clips; the HD feed of that network, if it exists; the network's on-demand lineup; and Look Back, eventually, all while staying on the linear channel, Stern said.

I'm curious how this is actually going to work. I wonder if we will still have the separate HD channels line up or will we have to engage them solely through the regular channel? This better be good.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #7212 of 26721 Old 04-19-2006, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

I'm curious how this is actually going to work. I wonder if we will still have the separate HD channels line up or will we have to engage them solely through the regular channel? This better be good.

Given that pretty much all I watch are the HD channels, I sure hope they don't eliminate the HD equivalents and require extra button presses to access these channels. I can just imagine how complicated it is going to be to program the DVR.
post #7213 of 26721 Old 04-19-2006, 05:42 PM

This may have been addressed in previous posts, but has anyone been able to address the "delay" when switching channels when using HDMI on TWC NYC SA 8300? Perhaps this is only a problem with Panasonics (it was addressed in another thread), but users were able to adjust settings (set picture -- upconvert 1 or upconvert 2) that don't appear to be in TWC NYC's software on the SA 8300. Any help? Thanks.
post #7214 of 26721 Old 04-20-2006, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder if we will still have the separate HD channels line up or will we have to engage them solely through the regular channel?

I was wondering the same thing. I hope you can still tune the HD channels directly with the new Navigator! Maybe there'll be a preferences setting for automatically tuning HD channels when they're available?
post #7215 of 26721 Old 04-20-2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:

With the new guide, viewers will be able to press the Enhanced TV button on the remote control while watching a network's scheduled programming and see links for Start Over; Quick Clips; the HD feed of that network, if it exists; the network's on-demand lineup; and Look Back, eventually, all while staying on the linear channel, Stern said.

I am guessing when this goes live, TWCNYC will be issuing new remotes to work with the SA 8300 unless there is a new DVR model in the works too?

post #7216 of 26721 Old 04-20-2006, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was wondering the same thing. I hope you can still tune the HD channels directly with the new Navigator! Maybe there'll be a preferences setting for automatically tuning HD channels when they're available?

http://www.timewarnercable.com/austi...ccessmenu.html

I don't think we have anything to worry about. It looks like you can press the A button and get a menu of choices while watching any channel. There obviously will still be seperate HD and SD channels, I don't know why you could not enter 701 for HBO directly.

You never know but I can't imagine they would be so stupid as to not allow that.

Mike

"Will you stop, Dave? My mind is going."
post #7217 of 26721 Old 04-20-2006, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

This doesn't look too bad. I just hope they don't clutter the GUI w/ ads like the motorola boxes have. Those are so infuriating.
post #7218 of 26721 Old 04-20-2006, 08:57 AM

Ain't that the truth! I was with RCN a few months ago before returning to TWC and those ads take up a third of the screen pretty much denying you from seeing an extra bar of information on the TV Guide gui.

Not sure if any of you read on the Associated Press about the new technology available for STB's and future TV's that will force you to watch a commercial and not be able to switch the channel.

I know this is not HDTV related directly, but it will have some effect on how you view programming.

The future of TV and Cable viewing will feel like a pop up ad on a PC.

post #7219 of 26721 Old 04-21-2006, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Although I am thrilled to have 711 as a new HD channel, I am curious as to why the non HD programing is not exactly 4:3 and is somewhat stretched, and the tickers at the bottom of the screen on newscasts are not fully visible? Thanks.
post #7220 of 26721 Old 04-21-2006, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiti View Post

Although I am thrilled to have 711 as a new HD channel, I am curious as to why the non HD programing is not exactly 4:3 and is somewhat stretched, and the tickers at the bottom of the screen on newscasts are not fully visible? Thanks.

WB is the only channel that displays non-HD content in a 14:9 ratio. This is how it comes in over an OTA antenna also. Although weird, I'm glad that TWC doesn't tinker with the signal at all.

LIC-Queens, Verizon FIOS

post #7221 of 26721 Old 04-21-2006, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdroth View Post

WB is the only channel that displays non-HD content in a 14:9 ratio. This is how it comes in over an OTA antenna also. Although weird, I'm glad that TWC doesn't tinker with the signal at all.

Hmmm...never noticed, since I haven't had occasion to watch ANYTHING on that channel since we got it. Is there anything [particularly HD content] worth watching on there at all (for a non-baseball fan)?
post #7222 of 26721 Old 04-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNYC View Post

Ain't that the truth! I was with RCN a few months ago before returning to TWC and those ads take up a third of the screen pretty much denying you from seeing an extra bar of information on the TV Guide gui.

Not sure if any of you read on the Associated Press about the new technology available for STB's and future TV's that will force you to watch a commercial and not be able to switch the channel.

I know this is not HDTV related directly, but it will have some effect on how you view programming.

The future of TV and Cable viewing will feel like a pop up ad on a PC.

There is no way this technology is going to be implemented. People have been changing channels during commercials since the remote control was invented. Any network, cable system that tries to stop this is NUTS.

Mike

"Will you stop, Dave? My mind is going."
post #7223 of 26721 Old 04-21-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatus View Post

If you correctly understood what you were told, what you were told is incorrect. I have both a CC and the 8300HD DVR and can receive all the HDExtra channels on both of them. What the CC can't receive is any program that requires 2-way communications between the card and the headend, such as the on-demand and PPV channels.

I correctly understood what I was told as I went over the guy that it made no sense since no software was involved with a signal being sent. I have read elsewhere though that this might be the case. So you're 100% positive that you have CC and have no problem getting the HDExtra? My biggest concern is the ESPN HD especially during the football season. They need to educate their service better.

Each time I've called them they initially say that HD is not available at all with the CC. Then they ask their supervisor and they're like oh.. i was wrong blah blah. I'm planning on going to their 23rd street location and asking there when I bring back the STB i have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNYC View Post

If the CableCARD sounds that bad to you, is it really worth getting over a STB?
From the many different posts I have read here and in other forums, the CableCARD does not sound too impressive. Yes, the STB takes up a little space, but I want all the features I can get for my money.
Sounds to me like you should wait a bit for an improved CableCARD.

It's not that it sounds bad, I actually want one. I don't care for the interactive stuff since I seldom use it. But the service reps try their hardest to make you don't want a CC. The way they've described it make it seem like it's useless. Hopefully Manatus is right in saying you can get HDExtra even with the CC.
post #7224 of 26721 Old 04-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm planning on going to their 23rd street location and asking there when I bring back the STB i have.

The situation may have changed since I had my CC installed 6 months ago, but then, at least, there was only one person at TWCNYC who handled CC orders, and she wasn't at 23rd St. The main reason that I have a CC AND a DVR is to be able to watch one live show while recording two others (something that actually does happen from time to time).

Passport 2.6.002
Apricorn EZ-BUS-DTS-EKIT
post #7225 of 26721 Old 04-21-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatus View Post

The situation may have changed since I had my CC installed 6 months ago, but then, at least, there was only one person at TWCNYC who handled CC orders, and she wasn't at 23rd St. The main reason that I have a CC AND a DVR is to be able to watch one live show while recording two others (something that actually does happen from time to time).

I don't see why things would have changed with the way the CC works. CC's are still version 1. Perhaps it works for you since you do have the DVR box?? Maybe they can send you a signal with the box and in turn the CC can pick it up and descramble it? Who knows.

All I know is I spent about 20 mins the other night talking with the rep about it and he insisted that there was no way at all for getting HDExtra with the CC. I knew there were people that had it. Oh well, just gotta be persistent.

On another note, the purple and green lines, they like shade the content on the tv, is that from t he box? or the component cables that TWC gives you? When I plug the cable into the tv and have the tv's tuner handle things, i don't have the lines.
post #7226 of 26721 Old 04-21-2006, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

... Perhaps it works for you since you do have the DVR box?? Maybe they can send you a signal with the box and in turn the CC can pick it up and descramble it? Who knows...

I doubt that's the case. I can't see how one has anything to do with the other. If you want the CC then just order it and see how it works out. If I had CC ability on my set I'd defiantly get it and also keep the STB specifically for the reasons already stated by Manatus.

If I recall correctly, I believe the person that initially dealt with the CCs when they were first introduced is named Yogawatti (sp?). She could probably get you some answers if you can track her down. She's the best in my book. I dealt with her back in the day when the very first HD boxes were rolled out. She was instrumental in their distribution too.

But, as I ramble on OT, and as I said, just grab one and see how it works for you.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #7227 of 26721 Old 04-21-2006, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't see why things would have changed with the way the CC works. CC's are still version 1. Perhaps it works for you since you do have the DVR box?? Maybe they can send you a signal with the box and in turn the CC can pick it up and descramble it? Who knows.

All I know is I spent about 20 mins the other night talking with the rep about it and he insisted that there was no way at all for getting HDExtra with the CC. I knew there were people that had it. Oh well, just gotta be persistent.

On another note, the purple and green lines, they like shade the content on the tv, is that from t he box? or the component cables that TWC gives you? When I plug the cable into the tv and have the tv's tuner handle things, i don't have the lines.

Perhaps you should actually try a CC instead of continuing to speculate about something you know nothing about. No sane person would use component video cables supplied by TWCNYC -- they're junk.

Passport 2.6.002
Apricorn EZ-BUS-DTS-EKIT
post #7228 of 26721 Old 04-22-2006, 06:58 AM

I have a TWCNYC cable appointment this a.m. to address the constant pixelation I'm getting on on-demand shows only. I've tried to watch shows for weeks on HBO and Showtime on demand, and for the first 20 minutes they're ok, they start pixelating and then become completely unwatchable. Sometimes rebooting or simply turning it off helps, but after a while, the pixelation always comes back. I've got an SA 8300HD.

When I spoke to Canada (!) they said that they've been getting constant complaints about pixelation, there is no fix "yet", and they can just credit me (exact details TBD).

anybody else have this experience? What kind of service should we be expecting from TWC in this regard?
post #7229 of 26721 Old 04-23-2006, 06:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 26
This recent news item , following the national cable show, mentions that TWC will be installing a number of switched-broadcasting (SB) operations this year. Other than trial-cities Austin and Columbia, no other specific cities are mentioned. SB, by delivering only channels selected, not all channels simultaneously, expands bandwidth utilization for more HD sources (and other services). Descriptions of SB use often indicate the most-watched channels would still be continuously cablecast to everyone. -- John
post #7230 of 26721 Old 04-23-2006, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

This recent news item , following the national cable show, mentions that TWC will be installing a number of switched-broadcasting (SB) operations this year. Other than trial-cities Austin and Columbia, no other specific cities are mentioned. SB, by delivering only channels selected, not all channels simultaneously, expands bandwidth utilization for more HD sources (and other services). Descriptions of SB use often indicate the most-watched channels would still be continuously cablecast to everyone. -- John

John,

Is SB a "two way" technology? In other words, will the current one-way cable cards be able to work with it? The main reason I'm asking is because (if and) when the Series 3 HD Tivo comes out it will have one-way cablecards so if this isn't compatible w/ SB, then I'd be reluctant to purchase one if TW is planning to ultimately roll out SB in most markets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page