Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #721 of 26590 Old 02-05-2004, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From the TWC-NYC website: "Effective November 19, we launched our new $3.95 Digital Sports Package which is available to all DTV customers. Channels in the package include: NBA-TV, Fox Sports Digital Nets, The Tennis Channel and FUEL."

It's not HD.

For details: http://www2.twcnyc.com/index2.ftcs.d...rea=NM&sType=T

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 26590 Old 02-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Since you guys use TWC and their 3510 HD Box I am wondering if anyone has experienced a problem with the audio digital connection? Someone locally gets a "crackle and pop" every time they change channels.

TIA

Hugh Campbell
post #723 of 26590 Old 02-05-2004, 03:37 PM

Not using the digital audio but I will test it out and let you know.

XBOX Live: JROC9

My DVD Collection
post #724 of 26590 Old 02-05-2004, 03:45 PM

I sometimes get audio dropouts on channel 705 (Fox) using the coax digital connection.
post #725 of 26590 Old 02-05-2004, 10:59 PM

Time Warner Cable goes with 'CherryPicker' in the Big Apple

Jeff Baumgartner, CED

Time Warner Cable said its New York City division will groom digital video content via the deployment of Terayon Communications Systems' DM 3200 Network CherryPicker.

The MSO is using the gear in two headends to create tailored digital programming lineups and, through the CherryPicker's rate-shaping technique, to maximize the available bandwidth and free up bandwidth for services such as video-on-demand. TWC's New York City division serves 1.2 million subs.

TWC's NYC division is also using an earlier version of the CherryPicker to pass high-definition television programming.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this mean TWC NYC will be able to acquire more bandwidth and broadcast more HD stations
post #726 of 26590 Old 02-05-2004, 11:11 PM

Ignore the last post its Old.
BUT WHEN WILL TWC Reslove these bdandwidth issues
post #727 of 26590 Old 02-06-2004, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Considering that RCN is on the brink of filing chapter, I can assure you that TWC is not particularly worried about RCN at this time. Sure, they may lose a few lunatic fringe customers like us who are willing to switch cable companies to pick up a few HD channels, but we are a negligible minority.

TM

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #728 of 26590 Old 02-06-2004, 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by anthonymoody
Considering that RCN is on the brink of filing chapter, I can assure you that TWC is not particularly worried about RCN at this time. Sure, they may lose a few lunatic fringe customers like us who are willing to switch cable companies to pick up a few HD channels, but we are a negligible minority.

TM

No argument there. RCN does not pose a threat to TWCNYC. No one poses a threat to TWCNYC, actually. Frustrating but true. Relatively few buildings are wired for RCN and very few people have the SW exposure needed for a dish. At the end of the day, TWCNYC really has little incentive (other than a moral one) to give customers what they want. If I want cable TV, TWCNYC is the only way to go.

Anyway, I will prepare the letter to Bob Watson this weekend and email it on Monday. Hopefully he'll provide us with some honest answers, even if they don't happen to be the answers we'd like to hear.
post #729 of 26590 Old 02-07-2004, 06:04 AM

Anyone else notice that the TWCNYC web site now says that HD-DVR boxes will not be available until "late 2004" ?

http://www3.twcnyc.com/NASApp/CS/Con.../hdtvtechnical
post #730 of 26590 Old 02-07-2004, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, that answers jergans' question:

Quote:

Originally posted by jergans
So, what's the over/under date for an update on the TWCNYC website, which still indicates Q1 2004?

Rich
post #731 of 26590 Old 02-07-2004, 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by rgrossman
Well, that answers jergans' question:

On a somewhat similar note: Isn't there a federal law (FCC reg?) that requires cable operators to allow customers to purchase cable boxes beginning sometime soon (I think April '04)? Am I making this up, confused, etc? I've read threads on this and the cable card issues, but I'm confused about when the rules will be implemented.

If I happen to be correct, I suppose it's possible that another box manufacturer will produce an HD-DVR before then that we can purchase.
post #732 of 26590 Old 02-07-2004, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Perhaps the site change is due to jergans (I think) asking the TWC SC person to tell TWC NYC to change the website

As for the law...yeah I think that's supposed to happen this April, we'll see I guess, and if they don't comply, to whom do we complain? And even if they do comply, I guess there has to be a nice supply of boxes from various mfrs first!

TM

Double True!
post #733 of 26590 Old 02-08-2004, 05:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Originally posted by oprig
Anyone else notice that the TWCNYC web site now says that HD-DVR boxes will not be available until "late 2004" ?

http://www3.twcnyc.com/NASApp/CS/Con.../hdtvtechnical

All my attempts at accessing TWC's website time out with no response. My bookmarks indicate a www2.twcnyc main address, but it doesn't work either.

Late 2004 for the SA8000HD DVR is too delayed for me, so thought I'd look into getting RCN's HD DVR, which probably means paring back my "It's All Here" TWC subscription (all the premiums) and subscribing to RCN's premiums. (Yes, greedily, I have both services.) -- John
post #734 of 26590 Old 02-09-2004, 07:09 PM

Anybody else not get Las Vegas in widescreen tonight on 704? Sound was dolby digital, but picture was crappy.
post #735 of 26590 Old 02-09-2004, 08:20 PM

I didn't get Las Vegas in widescreen either. Seems like someone forgot to flip the switch.
post #736 of 26590 Old 02-10-2004, 07:05 AM

I sent the following email to Bob Watson yesterday morning. I'll let you know when/if I hear back from him. I apologize if any points were omitted.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 10:41 AM
To: 'Watson, Robert'
Subject: HD Questions

Bob:

I am writing on behalf of the TWCNYC High Definition Programming Forum on the Audio Visual Science Forums Website (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...c&pagenumber=1). You have been very helpful to individual members who have had questions in the past. We hope that by writing as a group, you will only have to answer these questions once.

1. You have mentioned in the past that TWCNYC is unable to add any HD channels at this time (specifically HDNet, HDNet Movies, INHD and INHD2, stations that are carried by other TWC affiliates) due to the lack of available bandwidth in the TWCNYC system. You previously mentioned that TWCNYC hopes to have additional bandwidth available "sometime in 2004." Are you able to provide a more accurate estimate at this time? Did the recent elimination of 5 PPV stations free up any bandwidth that will be used for additional HD stations?

2. Once additional bandwidth is available, what are Time Warner Cable's and TWCNYC's plans for adding high definition stations in 2004? We are aware of the ongoing negotiations between Time Warner and ESPN regarding ESPNHD. Locally, we are interested in any news regarding the carriage of WPIX-DT (WB Network), WWOR-DT (UPN) and MSGHD. Nationally, are there any plans to add StarzHD, EncoreHD, CinemaxHD, TNTHD (once it begins broadcasting) or any other high definition stations in the near future?

3. Are there any plans to add a high definition PPV channel in the near future, or is that a longer term initiative?

4. The group also has a number of technical questions. I realize that you are VP Programming & New Business Development, so these questions may be better addressed to someone else. If you know of someone to whom we may address these questions, please let me know. In the meantime, we are wondering why the rollout date of the HD-PVR was moved back from "first quarter of 2004" to "late 2004" (the change was made to TWCNYC.com over the weekend). Everyone is anxiously awaiting the HD-PVR box so we will finally be able to timeshift high definition programming.

We greatly appreciate any feedback you are able to provide. We realize that some of this information may be confidential or sensitive and that you may not be able to provide answers to all of our questions. We understand the bandwidth and technology-related hurdles that TWCNYC faces today. However many of us are getting impatient. With RCN's recent addition of CBSHD to their lineup, which already includes ESPNHD, INHD and HDNet (in addition to all other HD stations TWCNYC provides), many of us have the opportunity to switch to a cable service that currently provides superior high definition programming. RCN will also have an HD-DVR available before TWCNYC.

The members of the TWCNYC High Definition Programming Forum are anxious to learn any information that you are able to provide about TWCNYC's high definition programming plans. We sincerely appreciate your time and thank you in advance for any information that you share with us.

Thank you again,
post #737 of 26590 Old 02-10-2004, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Excellent email...Thanks for taking the time to compose and send it. Hopefully, we will hear back from Bob with some positive news.
post #738 of 26590 Old 02-10-2004, 07:14 AM

I think you got every issue there jergans in a really well-written letter. Thanks a lot.
post #739 of 26590 Old 02-10-2004, 07:21 AM

Koudos to you Jergens !! Thanks very much !! My fingers are crossed !

XBOX Live: JROC9

My DVD Collection
post #740 of 26590 Old 02-10-2004, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Once RCN gets the HD-DVR to Queens... I am switching over.
post #741 of 26590 Old 02-10-2004, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

I have the DTV package with TWC and will soon use the Pioneer 3510HD with my new (forthcoming) EDTV set.
Will any of the channels I'll be accessing be analog?
Or will they all be digital?

Thank you.
post #742 of 26590 Old 02-10-2004, 01:08 PM

I believe the channels under 100 are analog? or maybe the first 50 or thereabouts?
post #743 of 26590 Old 02-10-2004, 01:13 PM

First 100 is what has been mentioned before. I personally dont know. Makes send since these are the channels you can still get with an analog box.

- jb
post #744 of 26590 Old 02-10-2004, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for writing that email jergans - well done!

TM

Double True!
post #745 of 26590 Old 02-11-2004, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

Hey all,
I don't know if this is the right place to post about it, but I recently got the RCN HD DVR box in lower manhattan. I have to say it is pretty good. A little kludgy in the interface, but it is nice to be able to record and pause live HDTV. They also got CBS in HD just in time for the Superbowl, so now they have all the major networks and a good HDTV lineup on the side.
I am not a fan of all things RCN, but considering that people are saying they are going bankrupt, they seem to be really getting their act together recently. I am just upset that I am now moving and will only be able to use RCN for another month!

-Gergg

post #746 of 26590 Old 02-11-2004, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I have the DTV package with TWC and will soon use the Pioneer 3510HD with my new (forthcoming) EDTV set. Will any of the channels I'll be accessing be analog? Or will they all be digital?

With three exceptions I've come across, they'll be digital. Channels 21, 25, and 31, for some reason, are switched analog (from the ~100-channel analog band) while all the others are carried as 64 or 256 QAM digital. Getting into a converter's diagnostic mode (for 3100HD on NYC's TWC) shows channel details.

TWC, IMO, should eliminate the analog band, as outlined here , to free up ~43% of our bandwidth for added HD and other services. -- John
post #747 of 26590 Old 02-11-2004, 11:12 AM

Was hoping perhaps someone on this thread has come across a similar problem, and at the very least, I think offers a puzzle to the group to noodle around on. I sincerely apologize if I'm posting in the wrong area...but I'm a TWC NYC subscriber, and I think the problem may have to do with TiVo and its interaction with the Pioneer 3510.

I'm trying to hook up my TiVo Series 2 box to my new HD set, and have been having huge problems. Note: I'm NOT trying to pass the HD signal through TiVo...rather just go around it.

Anyway, so I've got the 3510's DVI-out going into the TV set to carry the HD signals (Video 7 on the TV). Then I've got the 3510's s-video out (and audio cables) going out to the TiVo, and then TiVo to the TV through composite cables (Video 1). I get no TV signal...but I do get TiVo's on-screen menus. As such, I know that there is a signal going from TiVo to the TV, just not the video signal.

Now, just for kicks, I connected the s-video out directly into video 1 (not through TiVo), and I DID get a video signal. So I know that the 3510 is definitely sending both the HD signal through the DVI, and well as the analog signal through the s-video.

The bottom line: Somewhere inside my Tivo, the video signal is getting lost, and it's either the 3510's fault, or TiVo's fault. Has anyone else experienced this problem??
post #748 of 26590 Old 02-11-2004, 11:24 AM

randymac,

FWIW, and it's not going to help (or make you feel better about your problem), I am using the 3510HD with a first generation ReplayTV, with basically the same setup you are using, and it works fine. The Replay even records the HD channels (downrezzed to 480i, of course, but preserving the 16x9 aspect ratio), which results in a much better picture than when it is recording the analogous SD channel. Perhaps if you tried composite instead of s-vid?
post #749 of 26590 Old 02-11-2004, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I've tried composite as well, going in to multiple different video inputs on the TV. No luck. I've even tried using the component outs into the TiVo, without the DVI going in to the TV. No luck.

My fear is that somehow I blew something inside TiVo, and that I'll have to send it back for "refurbishing" (ugh).
post #750 of 26590 Old 02-11-2004, 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by randymac88
Was hoping perhaps someone on this thread has come across a similar problem, and at the very least, I think offers a puzzle to the group to noodle around on. I sincerely apologize if I'm posting in the wrong area...but I'm a TWC NYC subscriber, and I think the problem may have to do with TiVo and its interaction with the Pioneer 3510.

I'm trying to hook up my TiVo Series 2 box to my new HD set, and have been having huge problems. Note: I'm NOT trying to pass the HD signal through TiVo...rather just go around it.

Anyway, so I've got the 3510's DVI-out going into the TV set to carry the HD signals (Video 7 on the TV). Then I've got the 3510's s-video out (and audio cables) going out to the TiVo, and then TiVo to the TV through composite cables (Video 1). I get no TV signal...but I do get TiVo's on-screen menus. As such, I know that there is a signal going from TiVo to the TV, just not the video signal.

Now, just for kicks, I connected the s-video out directly into video 1 (not through TiVo), and I DID get a video signal. So I know that the 3510 is definitely sending both the HD signal through the DVI, and well as the analog signal through the s-video.

The bottom line: Somewhere inside my Tivo, the video signal is getting lost, and it's either the 3510's fault, or TiVo's fault. Has anyone else experienced this problem??

I didn't think you could use an S-Video in and composite out. I thought it had to be S-video to s-video or composite to composite.

Anyway, mine is hooked up s-video from the 3510HD into Tivo, s-video out of Tivo into my Sammy.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page