post #7471 of 26668 Old 05-20-2006, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppo View Post

Was the game not in HD on WB last night? So far the home games on WB have been in HD, and look just as good as the SNY games.

This afternoon, it's on Fox, and I must say it looks like crap compared to SNY. I don't remember all Fox sports looking this poor, but maybe my memory is suspect.

the game yesterday on WB-11 was in HD.

Email Melinda Witmer at TWC Corporate, the SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT & CHIEF PROGRAMMING OFFICER if you want more HD Channels!!!
Melinda.Witmer@twcable.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 26668 Old 05-20-2006, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

This afternoon, it's on Fox, and I must say it looks like crap compared to SNY. I don't remember all Fox sports looking this poor, but maybe my memory is suspect.

You're right, the game today DOES look like crap-almost as if it was one of their old 480P games.
post #7473 of 26668 Old 05-20-2006, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd86 View Post

You're right, the game today DOES look like crap-almost as if it was one of their old 480P games.

something that bad, it has to be widescreen 480p.

Email Melinda Witmer at TWC Corporate, the SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT & CHIEF PROGRAMMING OFFICER if you want more HD Channels!!!
post #7474 of 26668 Old 05-21-2006, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post

I posted this in another thread, but seems appropriate for this thread:

I'm sure this [ESPN2-HD and the World Cup Finals not being available on TWC-NYC] is not making the public radar because the percentage of people who are HDTV-knowledgeable, are aware of ESPN2-HD, and also care about the World Cup is very small. (Compared to the number of people who watch Disney Channel or WABC). So we're not making enough waves.

Maybe someone on this board who cares enough about it should contact the newsroom at the Daily News or NY Post to tip them off to the story? Seems like exactly the type of thing they'd love to cover (especially The Post, being owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp which owns Fox, which has their own history of contentious negotiations with TWC -- recall when they had to sue TWC to get them to carry Fox News?).

Just another avenue to attack this front on, for those who are motiviated....

Scott

Question: According to the schedule the Finals will be available on ABC, although not on HD(?) How can they not show one of the most globally watched shows in HD? Also, one quarterfinal will only be shown on ESPN2 so therefore unavailable to TWCNYC subscribers. Is this correct?

I'm thinking about getting premium HD just for the World Cup and then cancelling afterwards, since in general I'm not interested in premium HD.
post #7475 of 26668 Old 05-21-2006, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm getting bad distortion on all channels in UES circa 8-9 pm, anyone else?
post #7476 of 26668 Old 05-22-2006, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coneyparleg View Post

I'm getting bad distortion on all channels in UES circa 8-9 pm, anyone else?

Yes. Getting distortions right now on all channels . Im on the u.pper west side

ITS HOW YOU LOOK AT IT
post #7477 of 26668 Old 05-22-2006, 07:52 AM

can i replace my pioneer 3510 voyager hdtv for my own bought scientific atlantic? Is there a list of compatible cable boxes that work with TWC in NYC? thanks in advance
post #7478 of 26668 Old 05-22-2006, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

It wasn't in HD on Fox -- just widescreen SD. Note that the listings on the guide didn't have it listed as HD.
post #7479 of 26668 Old 05-22-2006, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3on3o View Post

can i replace my pioneer 3510 voyager hdtv for my own bought scientific atlantic? Is there a list of compatible cable boxes that work with TWC in NYC? thanks in advance

It seems unlikely that you can replace the cable boxes that TWC provides with one of your own choosing.

For you to get any of the "paid" channels, the box must be "authorized" by TWC, and they are not going to authorize a box that they haven't provided.
post #7480 of 26668 Old 05-23-2006, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I am thinking about buying the following receiver: http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4109401
the SONY HT-DDW900 5.1
Does anyone know if the HDMI switching will work with the 8300? It says HDMI passthru, will this trip up the HDCP?
ANy info or Ideas will be greatly apreciated.
Thanks
post #7481 of 26668 Old 05-23-2006, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I did a search. I did a search. I'm now more confused than ever.

Can I get DD 5.1 output from my 8300HD DVR? There are all these bugs that I read about. My configuration, for what it's worth is:

Video:
[8300HD DVR] -> DVI -> [DVDO IScan HD] -> DVI ->[JVC HX2]
Audio:
[8300HD DVR] -> Toslink -> [DVDO IScan HD] -> Toslink -> [Yamaha HTR 5140]

Thanks to those who know...

Using Passport ****ing OS.
post #7482 of 26668 Old 05-23-2006, 06:50 PM

has anyone tried HDMI passthrough since the software update to see if it now works?
post #7483 of 26668 Old 05-23-2006, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul View Post

I did a search. I did a search. I'm now more confused than ever.

Can I get DD 5.1 output from my 8300HD DVR? There are all these bugs that I read about. My configuration, for what it's worth is:

Video:
[8300HD DVR] -> DVI -> [DVDO IScan HD] -> DVI ->[JVC HX2]
Audio:
[8300HD DVR] -> Toslink -> [DVDO IScan HD] -> Toslink -> [Yamaha HTR 5140]

Thanks to those who know...

Using Passport ****ing OS.

I have 8300HD and no prob with DD 5.1. There were some earlier probs but they seem to have stopped with the software update.
post #7484 of 26668 Old 05-25-2006, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
A question for some of the people here who have been watching HD on TWNY for a few years or more-- do you think that the HD quality is not as good as it used to be on our TW system? I realize there are many variables but just in general, do you see a lesser wow factor in HD?

I haven't done any special testing, as some here- (as John Mason), I only go by what I see. One easy point of reference that I have always used and always has worked for me is, when watching sporting events, I look to the crowds of people. I always make a point to observe the quality of the HD by the magnificent detail in the little faces in the stands. I recall seeing much more detail in years past than I see today. And I'm referring to comparing exact situations-- comparing an indoor or outdoor event with a similar event, Hockey game, Tennis match, Basketball, Football, Golf etc.

While watching this post season basketball, I look into the stands and see a face not as crystal clear as I was able to see several years ago. I don't need any special testing gear to see that the quality is not the same. Just thought I'd put this out there.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #7485 of 26668 Old 05-25-2006, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't noticed much difference between the PQ from years ago to now. All I know is that The PQ could be bumped up on TNT & HDNet Movies.

post #7486 of 26668 Old 05-25-2006, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI, there is a video running on channel 1892 here in manhattan showing TWC accomplishments, LOL I wonder why HD isn't on their.

The name of the Internally developed set-top box software is MDN, "Mystro Digital Navigator". It will allow for Start Over Technology. Unknown release date.

post #7487 of 26668 Old 05-25-2006, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a reminder

Deals for:

ESPN2-HD - on the near horizon
National Geographic-HD - on the near horizon
TMC-HD - is done
CINEMAX-HD - is almost done
STARZ-HD - End of the year at the earliest
Wealth TV-HD - are not in the works
Outdoor Channel 2-HD - are not in the works
MHD (MTV) - will take many months to conclude.
Food Network-HD - Scripps has not yet made us a proposal.
HGTV-HD - Scripps has not yet made us a proposal.
NFL Network-HD - the nfl net is not likely to be on soon.
Sleuth-HD - Late 2006
A&E-HD - No Word

post #7488 of 26668 Old 05-25-2006, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHDTV View Post

Just a reminder

Deals for:

Does that mean in time for the beginning of the 2006 baseball season as promised? Oh, wait, they already missed that target. In time for the World Cup?
Quote:

And will there be a slot for it when it is done?
Quote:

TMC-HD - is done

Really? Does that mean it'll be on the air by the end of May? If they can't get the channels they've got contracts for on the air, why are they bothering to work on getting more contracts?
Quote:

It astonishes me that TWC doesn't more or less automatically have carriage agreements with all of the TW owned channels. There shouldn't be any adversarial negotiations involved here.
Quote:

Again, does that mean it'll be on the air, or that we'll be told there's a contract but no bandwidth?
Quote:

I'm inclined to actually take these updates at face value.
Quote:

By conclude, do you mean get on the air, or sign a contract?
Quote:

Does TWC always wait for the channels to come to them?
Quote:

Will TWC subscribers be able to see HD feeds of the games that will be exclusively carried on this network in the fall?
Quote:

Sleuth-HD - Late 2006

I'll expect to be able to tune to it before December 31st...
Quote:

A&E-HD - No Word

None of this makes me optimistic. TWC has enough of a track record of not putting on channels they've got the right to carry that I no longer care when they secure the rights. If TWC wants to gain my trust on this front, they'll spend more time announcing new channels actually going on the air than they spend making excuses for why we don't have more channels. I expect to be able to see the World Cup in HD. I expect to be able to see the NFL Network games in HD. I expect every TW owned HD station to be carried on TWC.

That last point in particular dictates how little TWC takes advantage of its relationship with their corporate parent. TWC should not have to negotiate for Cinemax or HBO. When Cablevision pulled channels from TWC, all TW channels should have been pulled from Cablevision. It's as if TW doesn't really want to work with TWC...
-JMP
post #7489 of 26668 Old 05-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I expect to be able to see the NFL Network games in HD.

I expect you'll be disappointed. And you should be. If you interpret a TW statement of "NFL Network-HD - the nfl net is not likely to be on soon" to mean that you should expect to see that channel by this fall, then I think you have seriously misread their statement. Frankly, it sounds to me like you are reading everything with a bias toward instant solutions.

I'd like some more HD channels too (especially NFL Network-HD), but I actually appreciate it when TW gives us some feedback as to what progress is or isn't made. Based on the sentence I read, I'm _hoping_ to see NFL Net HD in the fall of 2007.

-barry
post #7490 of 26668 Old 05-25-2006, 11:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

SNY-HD is very sharp & I'm impressed by their HD presentaion of Mets game seven though I'm not a big fan of Baseball anymore. PQ is outstanding!

GO SPURS! GO COWBOYS!
post #7491 of 26668 Old 05-26-2006, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margoba View Post

I expect you'll be disappointed. And you should be. If you interpret a TW statement of "NFL Network-HD - the nfl net is not likely to be on soon" to mean that you should expect to see that channel by this fall, then I think you have seriously misread their statement. Frankly, it sounds to me like you are reading everything with a bias toward instant solutions.

I'd like some more HD channels too (especially NFL Network-HD), but I actually appreciate it when TW gives us some feedback as to what progress is or isn't made. Based on the sentence I read, I'm _hoping_ to see NFL Net HD in the fall of 2007.

I should have been clearer. I didn't read the statement as TWC promising that the NFL network would be available by the time the channel is airing games. That's what I expect from a cable company that cares to provide their customers with good service. I expect that if TWC wants to maintain a monopoly, they should be forced to provide the kind of service they would have to provide if they had truly viable competition.

Sure, they're trying to manage expectations now, but that's a day late and a dollar short. I've been hearing the same excuses and getting the same shoddy customer service for years. At this point they have to do more than manage expectations to win me over. They have to provide outstanding customer service, and they aren't anywhere close.
-JMP
post #7492 of 26668 Old 05-26-2006, 04:59 AM

I saw this on dslreports.com and thought some would be interested.
Also, does anyone know the 3 markets where switched video was already tested and which markets are planned for next year?

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/74811
"Speaking this week at the CableLabs Financial Analyst Conference in New York, Time Warner Cable CEO Glenn Britt said the company's primary thrust in 2006 has been to employ switched digital video (SDV). The technology frees up bandwidth on cable systems by delivering fewer channels to the cable-box, and keeping the rest waiting at the edge router.

A trial of the technology in Austin resulted in bandwidth savings greater than fifty percent, according to Time Warner execs. Out of the 1,000 homes in that trial, 45 out of 170 channels were being simultaneously viewed. The remaining un-used channels still gobbled up network bandwidth while sitting un-viewed.

Time Warner, the most aggressive MSO on this front, says they've deployed this technology in three markets, with four to six planned next year. When asked about the cost of such an initiative, Britt states the MSO rolled out switched digital, digital simulcast and "Start Over" technology in one recent market for about $16 per home."
post #7493 of 26668 Old 05-26-2006, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... All I know is that The PQ could be bumped up on TNT...

To say the least^
TNT is certainly not an HD showcase channel.

Larry

post #7494 of 26668 Old 05-26-2006, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

To say the least^
TNT is certainly not an HD showcase channel.

Ha! How can one really even consider it an HD channel at all? It seems like >50% of what they show is S T R E T C H E D in a HORRIBLE way.....
post #7495 of 26668 Old 05-26-2006, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just a reminder

Deals for:

TMC-HD - is done
Sleuth-HD - Late 2006
A&E-HD - No Word

It seems to me that these negotiations at the corporate level seem to have little bearing on when or if any channel actually shows up on our system or not (Where is TMC-HD if the deal is done?)
post #7496 of 26668 Old 05-26-2006, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post

Ha! How can one really even consider it an HD channel at all? It seems like >50% of what they show is S T R E T C H E D in a HORRIBLE way.....

Can't disagree with that....
but I was specifically referring to TNT's HD broadcasts (is there anything else on that channel in HD besides basketball?). It's been looking worse than before.

Larry

post #7497 of 26668 Old 05-26-2006, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Boy, some thread here... being a TW-NYC customer, I love it!

Lots to talk about, but I have a question I'll start with. I had read a discussion elsewhere about the "black bars/pillars," and their color. Specifically, sometimes these are light gray, some times, dark black (forgetting that some channels like YES in HD put actual images as part of the pillar area). I've tried to follow and see any patterns about when one or the other is used, so far, it appears totally random.

The box is a 8300HD, and I see some "elsewhere" claim one can set "borders" to be all black once you get a SA box into some diagnostic mode. I found 2 things... tuning to channel 996 (seems useful for an easy way to tell the OS version) and a "press/hold Exit/Select on the box, then Exit" (very cool, I can get to a screen that tells me the HD space, used and free). Neither of these two things seem to allow me to change the bars to black only.

Anyone have an idea of how to do this?

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #7498 of 26668 Old 05-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Anyone have an idea of how to do this?

Yes. Move to a city where the SARA operating system is used on the 8300HD. Black bars are not an option with the Passport OS used by TWCNYC.

Forsan et haec olim meminisse juvabit. -- Popeye

Passport 2.6.002
Samsung 500 GB SATA2 HD501LJ
Apricorn EZ-BUS-DTS-EKIT
post #7499 of 26668 Old 05-26-2006, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

My Email:
Can you tell me when TW will have HD versions of Cinemax, The Movie Channel & Starz?
I know Cablevision carries all of the premiums in HD for their customers. I myself have been waiting patiently for well over a year and have been wasting money in the hopes that I would get these channels.The only premiums that I watch is HBO & Showtime and that's only because they have an HD version for me. I looks like I will be canceling my subscripstions to some premium channels that I can't bare to watch in SD.

Dressler's Response:
"it would appear that with current plant upgrade plans, these HD services will be made available sometime in "07."

OMG. I'm cancelling all my premiums except hbo & Showtime until january 07'. If they have any competence at all it better be up and running by then.

post #7500 of 26668 Old 05-26-2006, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
To me, the statement "sometime in 07" means on or before December 31, 2007. I certainly wouldn't expect to see these HD services in January of 2007.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page