New York, NY - TWC - Page 259 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #7741 of 26571 Old 06-27-2006, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im really hoping the Verizon gets a Staten Island TV franchise, I am getting pretty P.O. at TWC's horrible service. For those of us who know SI, I find it no surprise that they only rolled out FIOS south of the expresway(Mason Dixon line of SI).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7742 of 26571 Old 06-27-2006, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coneyparleg View Post

grrr!!!
Last night on one of the HD+ channels the guide said 'The Omen 2006' with Julia Stiles. I said Holy F!!! already. maybe INHD had some sort of deal to show the movie to HD customers. I call TWCNY to confirm. They say that the menu was correct. I go ahead and finally sign up for the HD extra package. 9pm switch to the movie and ta da...
the 70's version is playing, after all the exclamitories I spewed, I am considering keeping the extra package, is there anything of worth on these channels besides ESPN?
thanks

Indeed I also got fooled... I set it to record the middle of the night showing. Shoulda known this was a mistake!

I dropped Cinemax because they aren't carrying it's HD channel and I saw some interesting things on the HDXtra tier (my cable bill actually went DOWN by $1.05/month). It looks like you get a fair amount of music, concerts, things like that. Plus 2 of the channels have movies... far as I can tell ALL are in HD (not all movies on HBO HD or SHO HD are HD!) plus TV shows, mostly fairly recent stuff (one of them is running SciFi's BattleStar Galactica, a favorite of mine). As for ESPN, it seems they don't really carry any sports... it seems to be 24/7 of news (oh, I think I saw they had some college basketball one time...).

I'd love it of all NYC HD fans would drop either MAX or STARZ in favor of HDXtra AND let them know why. Both MAX and STARZ have had HD channels for quite a while... and TWC won't let us have them. So you're paying for something you don't get!

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #7743 of 26571 Old 06-27-2006, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

I'd love it of all NYC HD fans would drop either MAX or STARZ in favor of HDXtra AND let them know why. Both MAX and STARZ have had HD channels for quite a while... and TWC won't let us have them. So you're paying for something you don't get!

This has been discussed on a number of occasions in the past, and a bunch of us have done exactly this. Page back about 4-5 pages in this thread....I even provided an email address so you can email a TWC executive the reasons that you're dropping the premium services, so it will actually make a difference....

Here, it's not a claim of whether TWC will "let" us have them or not -- the execs are claming that they're out of bandwidth space to add new HD channels here in the NYC area....so technically they can't let us have them without doing something else to add capacity.
post #7744 of 26571 Old 06-27-2006, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afinemetsfan View Post

Im really hoping the Verizon gets a Staten Island TV franchise, I am getting pretty P.O. at TWC's horrible service. For those of us who know SI, I find it no surprise that they only rolled out FIOS south of the expresway(Mason Dixon line of SI).

Yeah because Verizon must think everyone north of the expressway is poor, which isn't true at all.

I'm glad I'm moving off the island in September.
post #7745 of 26571 Old 06-28-2006, 04:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yup, another foolee here with the '06-Omen listing. I've seen this happen with other films in the guide. Maybe whoever is writing up the guide uses the IMDB site. A title search there turns up both films and frequent duplications of other titles with searches.

INHD2 may be boosting its HD movie content. Caught the well-made "...Killing the Great Chefs of Europe" yesterday. Only problem: that overly plump INHD logo, bottom right, on screen.

BTW, can't agree with an earlier post mentioning lack of ESPN-HD content. There's quite a bit of 720p there as the listings at the HDsporstguide shows. Also see this thread . Now we need ESPN2, too, (among other channels) since we're missing good HD programming there now. -- John
post #7746 of 26571 Old 06-28-2006, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Funny that you guys are all clamoring for Verizon service. I guess you haven't had much of any experience with Verizon beyond "regular" services (i.e. turn on my phone line please) b/c if you had then you'd know what an absolutely abysmal company they are from a technical (in the field) standpoint. I remember when they first rolled out DSL - what a frickin fiasco. Took almost a year before anyone inside the company knew what the hell they were doing with it. I can't imagine FIOS will be any different.

And no, TWC isn't great in this regard either. Just don't hope for a panacea if you switch - you won't get it. The best hope is that 12-24 months after FIOS is widely available it will have created sufficient pricing and service pressures that both Verizon and TWC will have to improve their offerings.

TM

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #7747 of 26571 Old 06-28-2006, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Funny that you guys are all clamoring for Verizon service. I guess you haven't had much of any experience with Verizon beyond "regular" services (i.e. turn on my phone line please) b/c if you had then you'd know what an absolutely abysmal company they are from a technical (in the field) standpoint. I remember when they first rolled out DSL - what a frickin fiasco. Took almost a year before anyone inside the company knew what the hell they were doing with it. I can't imagine FIOS will be any different.

And no, TWC isn't great in this regard either. Just don't hope for a panacea if you switch - you won't get it. The best hope is that 12-24 months after FIOS is widely available it will have created sufficient pricing and service pressures that both Verizon and TWC will have to improve their offerings.

TM

I know how bad verizon is as a company. I think we're all so disgusted with TWC at this point that we'll take any kind of alternative, and the hope that this will in turn force TWC to later rates at some point.
post #7748 of 26571 Old 06-28-2006, 10:28 AM

Quote:

TM

I'm well aware how much Verizon sucks. I live 1/4 mile from the Forest Ave Central Office and DSL service inside my house was total crap, constantly dropping the connection. Verizon basically forced me to get a cable modem. My POTS service goes down more frequently than it should, and it takes them days to fix it.

I do worry that FiOS will be unreliable, but I can't see it being much worse than Verizon's current offerings.
post #7749 of 26571 Old 06-28-2006, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

... The best hope is that 12-24 months after FIOS is widely available it will have created sufficient pricing and service pressures that both Verizon and TWC will have to improve their offerings.

TM

That's what it's all about.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #7750 of 26571 Old 06-28-2006, 03:44 PM

I took a ride on Forest Hill Road today near the SI Mall and saw Verizon trucks installing FiOS at a house. They put signs on the front lawn that said "FiOS Installed Here!"

I'm not really sure that I would want to have Verizon advertising on my front lawn.
post #7751 of 26571 Old 06-28-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMAN71 View Post

I know how bad verizon is as a company. I think we're all so disgusted with TWC at this point that we'll take any kind of alternative, and the hope that this will in turn force TWC to later rates at some point.

This is exactly how I feel.

BTW,
Does anyone know how long TWC NYC been using the 'not enough bandwidth' excuse for not providing additional HiDef channels in a timely manner?
post #7752 of 26571 Old 06-28-2006, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcos_p View Post

This is exactly how I feel.

BTW,
Does anyone know how long TWC NYC been using the 'not enough bandwidth' excuse for not providing additional HiDef channels in a timely manner?

I've been hearing that for just about year now.

keep in mind they most likely made some space available but filled it with SNY-HD, WB-HD & UHD.

So now we're back to having no space and no knowledge of when more space will be freed up. (specially for HD)

Email Melinda Witmer at TWC Corporate, the SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT & CHIEF PROGRAMMING OFFICER if you want more HD Channels!!!
Melinda.Witmer@twcable.com
post #7753 of 26571 Old 06-28-2006, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

My Email:

"Hello Mr. Kessler I have heard that Cinemax-HD launched on TWC in Texas. Can you tell me when this channel will be available nation wide on TWC, especially NYC?

thanks, Andy"

Response:

"Hello Andy,
Thank you for your interest in Cinemax HD. We value your subscription to Cinemax.
As I am sure you know, cable system channel line-ups vary. Different cable systems have different bandwidth capacities and different programming options in different markets. Decisions are often made locally.

Again, thanks for your interest in Cinemax HD."

Matthew Kasman
Senior Vice President & GM, Affiliate Sales
Home Box Office Services, Inc.

Email Melinda Witmer at TWC Corporate, the SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT & CHIEF PROGRAMMING OFFICER if you want more HD Channels!!!
post #7754 of 26571 Old 06-28-2006, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Verizon and Actiontec bring 100Mbps FiOS to homes

http://www.tvover.net/PermaLink,guid...f7c3fce2c.aspx

post #7755 of 26571 Old 06-28-2006, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

That's what it's all about.

So true. And so sad This world we live in - we hope for another evil so that we may choose the lesser of the two...

TM

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #7756 of 26571 Old 06-29-2006, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricScott View Post

Cool. Thanks for the response. So it sounds like the 8300's aspect ratio settings don't mess w/ the Slingbox's picture. What happens when you try to watch a widescreen HD channel via the slingbox? Do you get a widescreen picture? Not even sure how the composite outputs handle this.

I haven't tried looking at a HD channel via the Slingbox...will try it later today and let you know.

UPDATE: An HD channel has grey "letterbox" bars at the top and bottom of the picture.
post #7757 of 26571 Old 06-29-2006, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHDTV View Post

Verizon and Actiontec bring 100Mbps FiOS to homes

Just because the router is "capable" I doubt we see such connection speed.

The best service that I know of seems to be Sweden with 24M/8M service for less than what I pay for my 5/384k (my cable service).

Verizon has tiered their "broadband" service with a 768k down for 18 bucks and a 3M down for about 35 (last I checked). With FIOS, my guess is their 35 tier might be 5M down, or maybe 6 or 7 so they can tout it as better than cable.

post #7758 of 26571 Old 06-30-2006, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I watched the Robert Plant "Soundstage" episode that was on last night, and was amazed by how poor the picture quality was.

Admittedly, I haven't watched much PBS-HD lately, but I was wondering if the horrible PQ was due to the programming itself, or if it was something more symptomatic of either the local PBS-HD broadcast (and its numerous subchannels stealing bandwidth), or some bit-squeezing by TWC providing less bandwidth to PBS-HD?

Any PBS-HD devotees out there with any ideas?

Scott
post #7759 of 26571 Old 06-30-2006, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhanna261 View Post

I haven't tried looking at a HD channel via the Slingbox...will try it later today and let you know.

UPDATE: An HD channel has grey "letterbox" bars at the top and bottom of the picture.

Thanks. Actually got my slingbox yesterday and hooked it up without too much trouble (I'm going wireless from the sling to the router which made is somewhat more complicated). Noticed the gray bars on HD but the PQ on HD channels doesn't appear to be any better than SD channels so no point in watching the HD versions - better off watching SD and filling the screen.
post #7760 of 26571 Old 06-30-2006, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post

I watched the Robert Plant "Soundstage" episode that was on last night, and was amazed by how poor the picture quality was.

Admittedly, I haven't watched much PBS-HD lately, but I was wondering if the horrible PQ was due to the programming itself, or if it was something more symptomatic of either the local PBS-HD broadcast (and its numerous subchannels stealing bandwidth), or some bit-squeezing by TWC providing less bandwidth to PBS-HD?

Scott

I didn't catch that show in the guide until about 45 minutes into it. I was watching that thing on the History channel regarding the history of Pizza.
The food show was in 16 X 9 with side bars so I had the STB zoomed in. When I put Sound Stage on I forgot to de-zoom but it didn't look bad, to me.

I went back to the History Channel and realized what I did and went back to Sound Stage to see the picture with out the zoom mode on and was pleased with the picture. I only had it on for a few seconds but those close ups on Robert Plant, man, he is definitely past his HD time.
I recorded the 1 AM showing.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #7761 of 26571 Old 06-30-2006, 09:28 AM

To all you Staten Island, TWC guys.....

Is it possible we can get locals HD channels by plugging the cable directly into our HDTVs or does TWC block that..
post #7762 of 26571 Old 06-30-2006, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got the Slingbox and hooked it up to my 8300. The sling is connected wirelessly to my G router. Everything works great when viewing on either my wireless laptop or wired desktop - I have streaming bitrates north of 1,000 Kbps. However when I tried viewing in my office the bitrate was only 300-350 Kbps. I'm guessing this is b/c the upload speed on roadrunner is limited (correct me if I'm wrong, but the upload speed only matters when I am outside of my home network?). I went to speakeasy and ran the speed test via both my laptop (wireless) and desktop (wired) and in both cases, download speed was about 3,000 Kbps (about what I expected) but upload speed is about 350 Kbps (very similar to the speed I am seeing in my office).

So I guess my question is, assuming that it is the upload speed that's slowing me down here, is there anything I can do to increase this? Can I call Time Warner and ask them to increase my upload speed? Can I pay a little extra to get faster upload and download (IIRC, RCN had something like that where you could pay a slightly higher rate per month to get 5 Mbps download instead of 3)?

Any thoughts?
post #7763 of 26571 Old 06-30-2006, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Well it looks like Road Runner offers a "Premium" service which increases your download and upload speeds to 8 Mbps and 512 Kbps (from 5 Mbps and 384 Kbps). Looks like it costs $25 or so extra per month although it's not entirely clear ($69 per month if you get cable vs. $44 per month for regular road runner if you get cable) - don't have my bill in front of me. I have to say that really sucks. If you go to Optimum Online they have a feature called "Online Boost" which costs $10 or $15 extra per month (with or without Voip) but increases your download and upload speeds to 30 Mbps and 2 Mbps - now that is a meaningful improvement and it's cheaper than TW.

Yet another example of TW taking advantage (by the way I don't appear to even be getting the speeds I'm supposed to today - at least not on the download). Wondering who I can complain to about this.

I don't even care about increasing my download speed - it would be nice but not essential. So to pay that much to get a slight improvement on upload speed doesn't seem worth it. What I really want is to pay to have a meaningful increase in upload speed (say to 1 Mbps or greater).
post #7764 of 26571 Old 06-30-2006, 04:45 PM

Quote:

Well it looks like Road Runner offers a "Premium" service which increases your download and upload speeds to 8 Mbps and 512 Kbps (from 5 Mbps and 384 Kbps). Looks like it costs $25 or so extra per month although it's not entirely clear ($69 per month if you get cable vs. $44 per month for regular road runner if you get cable) - don't have my bill in front of me. I have to say that really sucks. If you go to Optimum Online they have a feature called "Online Boost" which costs $10 or $15 extra per month (with or without Voip) but increases your download and upload speeds to 30 Mbps and 2 Mbps - now that is a meaningful improvement and it's cheaper than TW.

Yet another example of TW taking advantage. Wondering who I can complain to about this.

I don't even care about increasing my download speed - it would be nice but not essential. So to pay that much to get a slight improvement on upload speed doesn't seem worth it. What I really want is to pay to have a meaningful increase in upload speed (say to 1 Mbps or greater).

Yes the upload speed with RR is pretty low. This is where FIOS has a big advantage. With FIOS i get 10 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up for $34.95. They also have 2 other levels, one of which is 30 Mbps down and I believe 5 Mbps up for $54.95.
post #7765 of 26571 Old 06-30-2006, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHip View Post

To all you Staten Island, TWC guys.....

Is it possible we can get locals HD channels by plugging the cable directly into our HDTVs or does TWC block that..

You're better off with an antenna. I tried, and it seemed like the locals were SD only.
post #7766 of 26571 Old 06-30-2006, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if the HDMI issue with the 8300HD and AV Receivers has been resolved yet? Last I heard the problem was with the 8300 not playing nicely...and it would need to be addressed with a software update. Anyone passing HDMI through successfully?
post #7767 of 26571 Old 07-01-2006, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

FWIW, I tried HDMI to TV, TV does passive pass-though to an optical out port, then from that port to my AVR. After setting the audio output on the 8300 to HDMI, I did get audio passed through. BUT no DD5.1! Went back to using the optical out from the 8300 to the AVR, that functions properly.

As for broadband, way back in the day, asymmetric connection (plenty down, little up) were essentially an excuse for the broadband providers to offer much cheaper pricing than they would for "business" accounts. There's no "technical reason" for it, they don't "save money/reduce expense" by capping upload speed. In those days, the $ difference was huge... example, 5MBs down/384kbs up for $45, 5Mbs down and up $350.

If you pinned anyone of them down today, they'll mention that these accounts are "not meant to provide for serving." And they kinda do have a bit of a point. I'd probably run some service pout of my house if I had a 5Mbs up connection. Like your example wanting to running streaming video from your house to you outside of your house.

The ting that really gets my goat is that we are so way, way behind the rest of the world in this matter, it isn't even funny. Do you realize that for something like $30-35 a month, in Sweden one get 24Mbs up, 8Mbs down?

As for plugging the cable into the TV's tuner, yes you can do that. BUT, you get NO HD channels. You only get 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and (oddly enough) TNT on 3, C-Span on 6. Everything else is scrambled. Long time ago, this wasn't the case. But, as cable proliferated, they were very sloppy about running cable, this stuff was all very much exposed. VERY, very easy to hook into it. Then they thought they'd get clever and install line traps; again, just remove it and you're in business. THEN they got smart and started scrambling most everything from the head end.

post #7768 of 26571 Old 07-01-2006, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post

Didn't catch this program. But with many PBS sources in the area, and such variations from each channel, sometimes it seems detailed investigations are needed to pin down PQ variations. I've been fooled a few times by station-upconverted wide-screen PBS programming; it looks great, but the lack of 1080i detail requires looking closely for fine details. See complaints from OTA PBS viewers about stations delivering a few (or even 5) 480i multicast channels, which greatly reduces 1080i resolution; (no 1080i with 5 subchannels). Yet for the main TWC PBS HD channel, can't say I've noticed any significant drop in resolution once multicasting started, suggesting we're getting a head-end fiber feed independent of OTA delivery. -- John
post #7769 of 26571 Old 07-02-2006, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

So I did some more research and I've concluded that Time Warner / Road Runner is a total ripoff.

Optimum (Cablevision) has a default speed that is dramatically faster than ours. I was at someone's house on LI yesterday and ran a speed test and he was getting 5Mbps down and 1.6Mbps up. And if that's not good enough you can pay $15 extra per month to upgrade to 30Mbps down and 2 Mbps up. I actually called TW to inquire about increasing my upload speed told them about Optimum and the guy said what I read on the Internet must be incorrect b/c their technology is the same as ours and it is not possible to achieve these speeds (this was before I had personal evidence of the 1.6 Mbps upload).

Since we can't get Optimum in NYC, I went to RCN's site to check out what they offer. Their basic package is 5Mbps down and 384Kbps up (just like TW). But their upgraded package costs $16 per month extra for 10Mpbs down and 800Kbps up.

This compares to Time Warner's absurd option "Road Runner Premium" which costs $20 extra per month and only increases your speed to 8 Mbps down and 512 Kbps up. So they are charging more and offering less - sounds about right for Time Warner.

I am extremely frustrated and am trying to figure out how I can escalate this and who I can complain to - any suggestions?
post #7770 of 26571 Old 07-02-2006, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I did some more research and I've concluded that Time Warner / Road Runner is a total ripoff.

Optimum (Cablevision) has a default speed that is dramatically faster than ours. I was at someone's house on LI yesterday and ran a speed test and he was getting 5Mbps down and 1.6Mbps up. And if that's not good enough you can pay $15 extra per month to upgrade to 30Mbps down and 2 Mbps up. I actually called TW to inquire about increasing my upload speed told them about Optimum and the guy said what I read on the Internet must be incorrect b/c their technology is the same as ours and it is not possible to achieve these speeds (this was before I had personal evidence of the 1.6 Mbps upload).

Since we can't get Optimum in NYC, I went to RCN's site to check out what they offer. Their basic package is 5Mbps down and 384Kbps up (just like TW). But their upgraded package costs $16 per month extra for 10Mpbs down and 800Kbps up.

This compares to Time Warner's absurd option "Road Runner Premium" which costs $20 extra per month and only increases your speed to 8 Mbps down and 512 Kbps up. So they are charging more and offering less - sounds about right for Time Warner.

I am extremely frustrated and am trying to figure out how I can escalate this and who I can complain to - any suggestions?

Be very careful, I want higher speeds as well but supposedly it would take away from our already at max bandwidth. I want more HD channels first and higher Internet speeds second.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page