New York, NY - TWC - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #61 of 26587 Old 09-15-2003, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
708 is gone here in uptown manhattan as well. I feel they should not have tease us this way. Man if it wasn't because of Road Runner I would give up on Time Warner and go with DirectTV. I hate Time Warner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 26587 Old 09-15-2003, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I don't know where I've been looking and why it took me a week to find this thread... After reading through, most of the questions I was going to post about have already been asked. If I could get RCN in Queens I would switch or at least add the missing HD I do not have. It's ridiculous that we do not have all the HD offerings that TW is offering throughout the country. It astounds me how TWC-KC and others like Austin Texas have a better website with more information and more programing than we do here in NYC.

Now this is starting to get even more ridiculous.

Press Release

Any ideas as to what to do?

Phil C.
"Where does he get all those wonderful toys"
Jack Nicholson as the Joker in Batman
post #63 of 26587 Old 09-15-2003, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Those able to install DBS or even BUD dishes locally sure have an advantage. Those in larger buildings have to convince management boards that satellite HDTV offers advantages over cable HDTV.

Perhaps, if Cablevision's/Rainbow/Voom/ DBS/cable HD coverage is even half that described (see program forum sticky note and thread) more multiple-dwelling buildings will supplement cable coverage with newer DBS HDTV services, bypassing local cable systems.

Haven't had much ammunition to convince folks in my 21-story building to add satellite coverage. But TWC's HD sluggishness and the potential Rainbow option for tremendous HD coverage may tip the balance. -- John
post #64 of 26587 Old 09-15-2003, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Phil, nice catch on the Austin Press Release. It seems that INHD will be an add on service for HDTV, $5.95 for both channels. This is actually pretty big news as it represents a shift in HD offering for TWC. Everything else is free so long as you subscribe (i.e., Sho, HBO, etc.). My guess is that this also a primer for ESPN-HD billling as a premium service once they get contract negotiations resolved.

Why NYC is so lacking in all areas related to other TWC divisions is beyond me! Website, programming, HD-offering are all sub-standard.

Drew

PS: Just fuond this on Multichannel.com. INHD Free on Comcast

----------------
Comcast to Carry INHD on Basic

-- Multichannel News, 9/15/2003 12:15:00 AM

In Demand will launch its new basic-cable HDTV service Sept. 15 with critical basic-tier carriage on co-owner Comcast Corp.'s systems.

Comcast subscribers will not have to pay an additional fee for INHD 1 and 2, which will also bow on Time Warner Cable, Bright House Networks and Cox Communications Inc. systems, although it's unclear whether the services will reside on basic or expanded-basic HD tiers.
post #65 of 26587 Old 09-15-2003, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Drew,

That $5.95 only appears to be for Austin. Take a look at the TWC KC link above and look at the HD offering there...Makes you wonder what the hell is going on. I for one would have no problem paying for HD services if they were offered. I'd rather have to pay than not have them.

Phil C.
post #66 of 26587 Old 09-15-2003, 12:27 PM

Apologies if this is a repost; I see there's a lively discussion on Voom going on in the Programming room. And I know it's Cablevision, not TWC, but this is from today's NY Post:

CABLEVISION TRIES TO WOO VIEWERS WITH NEW HDTV SATELLITE SERVICE

By STEPHEN LYNCH September 15, 2003 -- Hoping to cherry-pick the high-end, high-definition television viewer, Cablevision Systems will reportedly launch an HDTV-intensive satellite TV service Oct. 1.

So far, HDTV has been a disappointing business, with compatible televisions in only about 2 million homes. But Cablevision hopes its service, to be called either Rainbow 1 DBS or Voom, will help energize couch potatoes, according to a report in Broadcasting & Cable Magazine.

Cablevision is trying to sign the rights to every high-definition channel, from sporting events on ESPN to movies on HBO. Some popular cable channels, like A&E and Bravo, broadcast high-definition versions, and the NBA offers its games in HDTV. Basic service would cost about $50 a month.

The company, which plans to sell its dishes in Sears and other retailers, wants to sign up 30,000 viewers by the end of the year. Its main competitive target will be DirecTV, which has about 10 million subscribers. News Corp., owner of The Post, is in the process of buying DirecTV.

For investors, the launch can't come a moment too soon. Cablevision officials have said the service could cost up to $2 billion, and many stockholders hope they spin off the satellite company after its premiere.

Link here, but I'm not sure if it'll be any good after today:
http://www.nypost.com/business/5772.htm

Anyway since it's in the Post, it's plausible this will roll out in NYC? Anyway, the Oct. 1 date beats out TWC's rumored Nov-Dec timeframe for ESPN-HD et. al.
post #67 of 26587 Old 09-15-2003, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
No no no no no no NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I want more HD channels, and I want them NOW!!! Come ON TWC, get with it! I've been a supporter for a while b/c we've been pretty much spoiled...but now we're WAY behind. HURRY DAMN IT!

Sorry, had to get that out!

TM

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #68 of 26587 Old 09-15-2003, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Phil, I missed the KC link on free INHD. I can't believe that TWC would not be in synch on this one regarding pricing. The only thing that comes to mind is that their Billing systems might not be able to support an HD tier.

As for the Rainbow discussion, that is awesome news and if Cablevision get's it off the ground, then it will be successful. Actually, the satellite is already off the ground and in orbit. They are supposed to have some programming offered by the end of the year, which is the deal Cablevision has with the FCC.

So apex, yes, if launched, it should be available everywhere in the continental US. Of course, if you live in a NYC apt building you have to deal with the Dish issues. I actually live in a building where I can get a dish installed without much hassle. I haven't yet, but if I can downgrade my TWC service to basic with HD feeds, than get all my HD programming through Rainbow, it's a done deal! Unless TWC comes up with a compelling reaction.

Somehow, I feel that 2004 will be the year for HDTV to really break out. It's just now being recognized the power of HD as a differentiator and the price point is right for new TV buyers to consider for the fast approaching holiday season.

Drew
post #69 of 26587 Old 09-15-2003, 02:56 PM

My building in Tribeca is wired both for TW cable and Direct TV, but I went with cable because I wanted the broadband net connection and because I didn't want to spend money on an HD box for Direct TV. Not sure how much these are now, but they were rather pricey last fall.

But I agree with others that TW's HD rollout is pretty lame. ESPN HD after football season ends doesn't do me much good.
post #70 of 26587 Old 09-15-2003, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Hmmm... I wonder how much the equipment will cost for this Rainbow system. Would be awesome if they only charge a very nominal rental fee like $5/month.

_Man_
post #71 of 26587 Old 09-15-2003, 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by alberich
708 is gone here in uptown manhattan as well. I feel they should not have tease us this way. Man if it wasn't because of Road Runner I would give up on Time Warner and go with DirectTV. I hate Time Warner

same here in north bergen, NJ. Living in an apartment, dish is not an option for me. I wonder if there are any way I can get out from under the twc. They su*k. If I can get another cable service, I would, in a hearbeat, change over to earthlink for broadband.
post #72 of 26587 Old 09-16-2003, 07:10 AM

I called TWC in Manhattan to ask what happened to channel 708 and the INHD station and the supervisor didn't have a clue. He did say something very interesting however. He said " I do know thw we will have a new HD tier added sometime this fall". This leads me to believe that INHD and possibly Discovery and ESPN will be added in atier similar to what Comcast and DirecTV have, with INHD instead of HDNet.
post #73 of 26587 Old 09-16-2003, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the info, BelB64. If TWC is committed to adding a special HD tier, ala NYC's RCN, someone there should have the common sense to add a one-sentence note to the list of current HDTV at their website--maybe even issue a press release. Otherwise their flaky maneuvers seem to be angering many of us. -- John
post #74 of 26587 Old 09-16-2003, 08:10 AM

To recap an earlier post, I called yesterday and was told that TW NYC was planning to add ESPN HD, Discovery HD, and MSG HD in Nov or Dec. The rep also said that InHD was not being added.
post #75 of 26587 Old 09-16-2003, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

John, totally agree. What could be used as a marketing tool is rather turned into a total lack of information and a customer frustration tool. Thanks.

Also, not to be a pessimist, but TWC representatives tend to issue statements that turn out never to be true. Holding breath is not recommended.
post #76 of 26587 Old 09-16-2003, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Did anyone take advantage of TWC's offer to install the DVR at no charge during the initial promotion where they contacted customers about the DVR? If so, check your bill because I was charged the installation fee on my last bill.

The best part is that when I called to have the charge removed, I was told that no such promotion existed and that TWC would not remove the install charge. Quite naturally I wasn't pleased since THEY CALLED ME! They are researching the promotion now and plan to get back to me with an answer.

Drew
post #77 of 26587 Old 09-16-2003, 08:26 AM

I have been recieving INHD since my 3100HD was installed on Saturday
post #78 of 26587 Old 09-16-2003, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by drew138
Did anyone take advantage of TWC's offer to install the DVR at no charge during the initial promotion where they contacted customers about the DVR? If so, check your bill because I was charged the installation fee on my last bill.

The best part is that when I called to have the charge removed, I was told that no such promotion existed and that TWC would not remove the install charge. Quite naturally I wasn't pleased since THEY CALLED ME! They are researching the promotion now and plan to get back to me with an answer.

Drew

I received the promotion mailing after I had the box installed already so I called them and they agreed to remove the installation charge and the fee for the first month.

Phil C.
post #79 of 26587 Old 09-16-2003, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by frankx99
I have been recieving INHD since my 3100HD was installed on Saturday

Can anyone else confirm this? If this is true, TWC is more screwed up than I thought.

Phil C.
post #80 of 26587 Old 09-16-2003, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Frank,

INHD wasn't supposed to go-live until the 15th. Do you actually have programming coming through the channel?

I just checked the website:

http://www.twcsi.com/index2.cfm?c=dtv/hdtv

and I didn't see INHD listed. Not that it means anything?

Also, what is Channel 709 WWOR? And why is 713 listed as an HD channel?

Thanks for posting the link.

Drew
post #81 of 26587 Old 09-16-2003, 01:59 PM

drew,

Like I said, I have been recieving programming since I hooked up the 3100HD.

watched some of Full Metal Jacket last night and will check out at least some of the Yankee game tonight

I'll let you guys know how the pic quality is for the game
post #82 of 26587 Old 09-16-2003, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
That's it! I'm moving back to Staten Island! (Grew up there...shhh!)

TM

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #83 of 26587 Old 09-16-2003, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I am also at a loss about INHD. No INHD here in Queens.
post #84 of 26587 Old 09-16-2003, 07:45 PM

I think the Yankees game was supposed to be blacked out in New York.
post #85 of 26587 Old 09-17-2003, 03:50 AM

The Yankee game was blacked out on INHD last night, sorry I couldn't review the pic quality
post #86 of 26587 Old 09-17-2003, 02:32 PM

Scientific Atlanta 8000HD
For specs, go to
ww.scientificatlanta.com/customers/Source/4004400.pdf
(sorry, this site wouldn't let me post a link. just add a "w" to the beginning of that address)

The 160GB model allows up to 20 hours of HD programs or up to 90 hours of SD programs to be recorded and stored using DVR functions.

Does anybody know if/when this will be available in TWC NYC? It would be nice to not have to schedule my life around whats on in HDTV.
post #87 of 26587 Old 09-17-2003, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Here's word , indirectly from INHD, saying it'll be added to TWC by months end. Ah rumors. Wish they'd use their website.

Also, spotted a crawler on the weather channel from TWC saying they're finishing Manhattan's digital upgrade tonight (no PPV, VOD from 11-6). -- John
post #88 of 26587 Old 09-18-2003, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Also, spotted a crawler on the weather channel from TWC saying they're finishing Manhattan's digital upgrade tonight (no PPV, VOD from 11-6).

Well, at about 11 pm Wednesday, while on the HBO Comedy channel (205) I noticed some rare macroblocking developing.

Not sure what TWC did to complete its digital upgrade in Manhattan that required stopping PPV/VOD in the wee hours. Does anyone? Images don't look different Thursday. But I've noticed a small change in my 3100HD diagnostics mode that may have cropped up recently: you can now view HDTV channel data. Earlier I got an 'out of range' message.

To enter diagnostics with NYC's TWC (3100HD), you hold down both +(SELECT) and EXIT until 'diag' is displayed on the converter. Then enter 1999 with the remote. The diagnostic page shows data on the last channel tuned. You can tune new channels while in diagnostics by using UP/DWN/LFT/RT buttons around SELECT. Scroll to the TUNING> page, then to four-digit channel numbers, tap in a new channel, and press SELECT. Scroll left to select various data pages.

I notice channels 702 and 713 (1080i) share 713 MHz. But the MPEG-data page's fluctuating 'PCR Lock Status' numbers don't seem to differentiate between HDTV and SDTV channels. Channels 702/713 displayed lock numbers of 37410_ _ _ _ _, for example, while TWC's channel 1 news at 783 MHz (SDTV) showed 38860_ _ _ _ _ (the blank digits are fluctuating).

Today, channel 4 at 753 MHz, with 64 QAM delivery like some other local channels instead of 256 QAM, showed 390510_ _ _ _ _ PCR Lock, not that different from channel 2. Yesterday, though, I noted channel 2's PCR Lock was only 15050_ _ _ _ _. Curious to see if CBS's weekend golf and other sports feeds on channel 2 still look like they're being fed from a VHS deck in extended-play mode.

What doesn't seem to be reflected in diagnostic data is all the massaging and manipulation of digital cable data before it's delivered. This includes rate shaping of data to remove null bits as well as requantization, plus statistical multiplexing to maximize bandwidth use between numerous channels with action/static scenes. -- John
post #89 of 26587 Old 09-18-2003, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

John, some day we'll all have to get together for a lesson on the diagnostics mode of the 3100 and the finer points of QAM and PCR Locks. In the interim, any place I can learn more about this???

Thanks

Drew

PS: Nice find on the INHD rumor, didn't know abuot the HDTV in NYC yahoo group.

PSS: I clicked the link and found the broadcastingengineering web site. Thanks
post #90 of 26587 Old 09-19-2003, 04:21 AM

The Time Warner Cable logo is still prominent on the INHD website and presumably an essential part of their business plan. This service is an exclusive of digital cable, so I'd be surprised if TWC didn't eventually carry it (unless the entire channel is aborted).

Does anyone know if the movies on INHD are commercial free?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page