Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1081 of 26604 Old 05-06-2004, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just get a splitter. Make sure it is for digital cable.

I have my cable split twice. One split goes to cable modem. The other split goes to a splitter which then goes to the Pioneer HD box and the DVR.

Works nicely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 26604 Old 05-06-2004, 10:43 AM

Problem with the last suggestion.... it turns your 7 dollar a month DVR service into a VCR. If you only have one cable device, just split the coax and send to both boxes. If you use a high quailty splitter you should be fine signal strength wise. Then use the s-vid input on your TV for your DVR and the DVI for the HD box. The only issue is that they use the same remote, so you could possibily screw up something you are recording on the DVR, so either block the front when not using it or make sure it is in standby. I use a similar setup as this, with the exception that my DVR is on a different TV. I use the coax out of the DVR into my HD set(which is on a different floor), and repeat the IR signal from one floor to another.
post #1083 of 26604 Old 05-06-2004, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by questec
Thanks for the response Manatus. Will that work with the TWC DVR box that I currently have? I.e. can the non-HD Time Warner DVR STB with receive its input from the Pioneer HD non-DVR STB (that will also output directly to the TV)?

My response would have been different if I'd known that your DVR is the TWC SA8000 (with a built-in tuner) not a DVR (like a Tivo) without a cable tuner. With that setup, just install a high-quality 2-way splitter on your incoming cable, route its outputs separately to the Pioneer STB and the DVR, and connect their respective outputs to your TV. That way, you'll be able to watch and record 2 different channels simultaneously. If and when TWCNYC ever makes a HD-DVR (like the SA8000HD) available, you'll be able to substitute it for both your Pio STB and current DVR.

Forsan et haec olim meminisse juvabit. -- Popeye

Passport 2.6.002
Samsung 500 GB SATA2 HD501LJ
Apricorn EZ-BUS-DTS-EKIT
post #1084 of 26604 Old 05-06-2004, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the help. I'll buy a Monster or some such splitter for now, and will wait and see if TWC ever rolls out a HD-DVR (and ESPN-HD, and MSG-HD, and WPIX-HD ...).
post #1085 of 26604 Old 05-06-2004, 11:55 AM

...and Cinemax HD, Starz HD, Fox HD when it comes out, InDemandHD1 & 2, and HDNet & HDNet Movies. The list goes on.

How sad is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #1086 of 26604 Old 05-06-2004, 01:52 PM

Just called TWC. They won't give me a HD STB unless I swap my current one. The customer service rep said I can only have two boxes if they come to my home and install a second cable line on another TV.
post #1087 of 26604 Old 05-06-2004, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just called TWC. They won't give me a HD STB unless I swap my current one. The customer service rep said I can only have two boxes if they come to my home and install a second cable line on another TV.

Never take at face value anything that a TWCNYC telephone CSR says, especially when HD is involved. Any logic behind a prohibition against having both a standard and a HD-STB for a single TV shouldn't extend to the combination of a SD-DVR and a HD-STB. For what it's worth, TWCNYC has been trying to persude me to add its SD-DVR to my setup almost as long as I've had one of its HD-STBs. Persist.

And, BTW, when you get beyond this impass, you don't need a Monster Cable splitter (even if such a thing exists). TWC supplies HD-compatible splitters gratis (I have 3 of them).

Passport 2.6.002
Apricorn EZ-BUS-DTS-EKIT
post #1088 of 26604 Old 05-06-2004, 02:57 PM

Quote:

They'll give you both boxes, but you have to pay for both.
post #1089 of 26604 Old 05-08-2004, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Sickman is correct, you will have to pay for both boxes, but you will also have to pay an additional charge to have any premium services replicated on the second box. This is only a factor if you have Shotime, HBO, or some other premium services. It's basically a scam that I don't know how they get away. I guess nobody complains!

The best way to go about getting both boxes is to have them swap out the DVR for the Pio HD Box, and then go back to pick up a second box (DVR) for your second TV. Be sure to call them and to note your account that your adding a second box. Alternatively, just unhook your DVR and put it in the drawer and just tell the guy when he shows up that the DVR cable box is in the bedroom and that you don't have cable on the HD set.

Good luck. Maybe we'll get the HD-DVR soon enough.

Drew
post #1090 of 26604 Old 05-11-2004, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
TWC is one of the large MSOs participating in an upgrade plan apparently aimed at gradually phasing out analog cable bands to provide more cable spectrum for other services. It's quite secretive, according to this CED article , so perhaps that accounts for all the failed inquiries to TWC officials here. -- John
post #1091 of 26604 Old 05-11-2004, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
anything to get us more bandwidth. let's hope it takes less than 5 years.
post #1092 of 26604 Old 05-11-2004, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone who responded. I ended up just getting the Pioneer HD3510 box from TWC. I'll get a second DVR box for my bedroom non-HDTV.

Thus far, it seems like I get the best results when I use the DVI connection for the HD channels and composite cables for the other channels. With the composite cables the non-HD channels' picture seems both clearer and significantly larger. Is this consistent with other people's experience? My TV is a Sony KF-42WE610.

Also, is there a way to be sure the 3510HD is configured to automatically output channels in the same resolution they're input?

Thanks everyone.
post #1093 of 26604 Old 05-11-2004, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Also, is there a way to be sure the 3510HD is configured to automatically output channels in the same resolution they're input?

Thanks everyone.

Yes. Press the SETTINGS button on the TWC remote control, then the MORE SETTINGS button, and scroll down to OUTPUT FORMATS. Select which of the 4 possible formats (480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i) that you want the STB to pass through unaltered. Just be sure that the TV input you're using supports all the formats that you select on the STB (my second generation Samsung DLP HDTV, for example, doesn't support both 480i and 480p on any one of its 3 Component inputs).

Passport 2.6.002
Apricorn EZ-BUS-DTS-EKIT
post #1094 of 26604 Old 05-12-2004, 07:49 AM

Thanks Manatus. I'd already made the appropriate adjustments to Output Formats (for whatever reason that selection only appears on the Settings menu when a component rather than a DVI connection is used). When I used a component connection, I would manually change the resolution output by the set box for each channel by holding down the Diamond Key and pressing Volume Down key on the front of the STB and then selecting the resolution the channel was input at.

The procedure is set forth here:
http://www.pioneerbroadband.com/pdf/...20Passport.pdf

What I'd like to know is whether there's a way to verify that if, for example, I'm watching a 720p broadcast, the STB is outputting the program in 720p rather than in 1080i, particularly when I'm using a DVI connection which doesn't permit use of the "Diamond/Volume Down procedure."
post #1095 of 26604 Old 05-12-2004, 10:29 AM

I spoke to both TWC and Pioneer customer support. My understanding now is that TWC has not set up the 3510HD to automatically output at the same resolution that each channel is input at. The user needs to do that manually for each channel through the procedure I described above, which is only possible with a component rather than a DVI connection. The default is a 1080i output.

It also seems that the best results will be achieved using a composite or S-video connection for SD channels and a component connection for HD channels. I'm not entirely sure why that's the case.
post #1096 of 26604 Old 05-12-2004, 09:15 PM

Is the Pioneer HD3510 available in Staten Island? I have heard of a Pacer box available on Staten Island, is that as good as the Pioneer?
post #1097 of 26604 Old 05-12-2004, 09:39 PM

To update:

It appears that I was misinformed about the 3510HD, and that it does output in the appropriate formats using DVI or component connections. However, I continue to get a better SD picture using composite than either DVI or component.
post #1098 of 26604 Old 05-13-2004, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

You have inspired me to try S-Video. The SD channels look real bad on my Zenith HDTV. I have to crank contrast and brightness like mad and even then it look crummy.
post #1099 of 26604 Old 05-13-2004, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I continue to get a better SD picture using composite than either DVI or component.

Me too. However, I found out that by routing an S-video connection from the Pioneer STB to my Panasonic DVD recorder DMR-E30 and from the E30 to the TV (Panny PWD6UY) via component, I get a still better PQ for SD programs than thru composite. It seems that the E30 somehow cleans up the picture while converting it to component format. Perhaps someone can explain better than me what actually happens to the signal. In any case, I always watch SD via the DVD connection.
post #1100 of 26604 Old 05-14-2004, 12:25 AM

Any word on if TNT-HD will be on TWC in NYC in time for the western finals?
post #1101 of 26604 Old 05-14-2004, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

It is unlikely there will be any channel additions in the near future, and I doubt TNT-HD is at the top of the list.

Rich
post #1102 of 26604 Old 05-14-2004, 11:24 AM

Why is it that TWC is adding channels to other markets but not to NYC?
post #1103 of 26604 Old 05-14-2004, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobert
Why is it that TWC is adding channels to other markets but not to NYC?

Because TWCNYC doesn't have enough bandwidth to add any HD channels. This is discussed many places in this thread (I know the thread is long...). Last we heard, they plan to add stations (HDNet, INHD, probably TNTHD) by the end of the year. We heard that in December 2003.

On this subject, I'm more than a bit frustrated with TWCNYC right now. I've emailed Bob Watson on a number of occasions asking simple questions and haven't heard a single peep of a reply since December. Even though it's unlikely we'd get any answers we want to hear right now, I think it would be nice to hear SOMETHING. With the complete lack of information from TWCNYC regarding future HD plans (other than the amorphous, "We'll add channels and give you the HDDVR box by the end of the year...after most other TWC affiliates have them"), I'd switch to D* or RCN in a second if I had the choice in my apartment.

Has ANYONE heard ANYTHING from TWCNYC lately?
post #1104 of 26604 Old 05-14-2004, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

In addition to what jergans said, be aware that the various TWC cable systems are operated quite independently.

Rich
post #1105 of 26604 Old 05-14-2004, 07:33 PM

This really sucks! I would switch to VOOM or DTV in a second if I could, but my building won't allow them to install it. This leaves me stuck with TWC, so that leaves me with crappy HD selection.

I doubt anything will change until they start losing a LOT of people to providers that DO have a good selection of HD in there programming. It always comes down to the all mighty dollar. I guess nothing will change til they start losing some. Those of you that can change, hit em where it hurts!!!
post #1106 of 26604 Old 05-14-2004, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mobert, I'm afraid that just won't work. The bandwidth capacity of the cables running under the streets of NYC cannot be increased for any amount of money--and no one will invest the money (and years) that it would take to run new cables.

TWCNYC has a maximum physical bandwidth. Period. It's not going to change, unless someone comes up with a better type of laser or something to transmit higher density signals on the existing cables. And even if it were available tomorrow it would take a while to install.

The only thing TWCNYC can change is how this bandwidth is used. As cited in the post above (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...51#post3785451) there is an effort to convert the analog TV transmissions (a real bandwidth hog) to digital. That apparently will take years.

Otherwise, all they can do right now to add HD channels is to delete other services. This is primarily a financial question (though PR and political considerations will be factors).

Despite the way it may seem on this forum, relatively few homes in the TWCNYC area have HD-capable sets (people with small apartments are less likely to get a big TV). I wouldn't be surprised if it's still under 10%. I very much doubt it's 20%. Not a big target for TWCNYC to go after. Of course this will increase as time goes on, but this also will take years.

When you add in the factor that so few of us can switch to another provider, I don't see TWCNYC making any big moves to significantly increase HD service for a while. I think their stategy will be to wait until they have enough potential HD customers who will pay for an HD package.

I doubt they'll add more than a channel or two by the end of the year, no matter how many of us switch.

Rich
post #1107 of 26604 Old 05-14-2004, 10:05 PM

Why is it that other cable providers like Comcast and RCN..etc in the NYC area have the bandwith in there lines to add channels but TWC-NYC does not? Was it just VERY poor planning for the future on TWC's part compared to these other companies?
post #1108 of 26604 Old 05-14-2004, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

RCN doesn't cover nearly as much territory as TWC, which greatly reduces its costs. TWC is required by its city franchise to cover every block of its territory, whether it's profitable or not. (BTW, I heard RCN is one step from bankruptcy court--though it probably will survive.)

I don't know about Comcast. Do they have to run their cables underground, the way TWCNYC does (much more expensive)? Do they allocate as much bandwidth to high speed internet access, VOD, or premium foreign language channels (a big moneymaker in NYC)?

Maybe TWC has a different customer base than Comcast (i.e. more HDTV owners). Maybe it was just poor planning. But whatever the reason, I doubt that it's going to change much in the next few months.

Rich
post #1109 of 26604 Old 05-15-2004, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobert
This really sucks! I would switch to VOOM or DTV in a second if I could, but my building won't allow them to install it. This leaves me stuck with TWC, so that leaves me with crappy HD selection.

I doubt anything will change until they start losing a LOT of people to providers that DO have a good selection of HD in there programming. It always comes down to the all mighty dollar. I guess nothing will change til they start losing some. Those of you that can change, hit em where it hurts!!!

i don't think your building can prevent you from getting it - you should look into that if you want voom. the research i did indicated that my co-op couldn't prevent me from installing satellite if i wish to
post #1110 of 26604 Old 05-15-2004, 05:03 AM

Regarding VOOM, does anyone have any opinions on it ? I am hearing more and more about it and being just as frustrated with TWC as most other people I am seriously considering VOOM.

Thanks.

XBOX Live: JROC9

My DVD Collection
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page