New York, NY - TWC - Page 849 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #25441 of 26590 Old 12-28-2011, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All these TWC box horror stories make me even more glad to have a TiVo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25442 of 26590 Old 12-28-2011, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmz00 View Post

All these TWC box horror stories make me even more glad to have a TiVo.

Don't Tivos come with their own set of problems? I constantly hear of TWC screwing up the CableCard programming. Where are you located and how has your experience been?

I'm not at all appose to jumping ship if the grass is indeed greener.

A_C

Manhattan Supremacist
post #25443 of 26590 Old 12-28-2011, 07:11 AM

Time warner is just pain garbage. I find myself praying that FIOS would reach my building everyweek. The past 5 days all my recorded shows looked like they were being 'deleted'. However, it turns out that they are not even being recorded to start with. The red recording light comes on but after there's no recorded content. I just looked in the dvr logs and for the 'recorded & deleted' shows; the log says they were never recorded to start with. Error: "The set-top was unable to record this program".

Hilarious thing: TWC price hikes correspond with the decline of their already garbage service. As always one thing is constant with TWC; their service is inversely propotional to the cost.
post #25444 of 26590 Old 12-28-2011, 07:20 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_C View Post

Don't Tivos come with their own set of problems? I constantly hear of TWC screwing up the CableCard programming. Where are you located and how has your experience been?

A_C

I'm a NYC/TWC/Tivo user, and there are certainly trade-offs in using a Tivo and cablecards. The bad includes no PPV/OD unless you also have a TWC box, which I find very annoying (although I do have a TWC box on another TV in the apartment that I can use if I'm desperate, but it's a much smaller set). The other issue is that I've had periodic (once or twice a year) issues with the Tivo having trouble downloading the guide data. I have been able to resolve it each time, although in each instance I've had a few days where I've had no guide data, and once it was restored, I had to re-enter my season passes. And of course Tivo costs $.

What you get in exchange is the incredibly easy and functional Tivo interface and recording process. The several year old XL box I have not only has an enormous amount of storage, but the season pass and conflict resolution process on Tivo blows away anything I ever experienced with TWC. It also has Netflix, Amazon, and YouTube built in to the box (even if they aren't particularly elegant versions of any of them).

Bottom line is that so long as Tivo is working I will probably keep it (I bought lifetime service on this box, so there's no ongoing cost for me). Would I go to it if I had to start from scratch? I'm not entirely sure. Elsewhere I have a Fios box that I could probably live with instead of Tivo, but TWC's boxes and software are so bad I'm not sure I would have a strong desire to rely on it as my only DVR.

My $.02 for what it's worth.

Cheers.

Shemmy
post #25445 of 26590 Old 12-28-2011, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post

Time warner is just pain garbage. I find myself praying that FIOS would reach my building everyweek. The past 5 days all my recorded shows looked like they were being 'deleted'. However, it turns out that they are not even being recorded to start with. The red recording light comes on but after there's no recorded content. I just looked in the dvr logs and for the 'recorded & deleted' shows; the log says they were never recorded to start with. Error: "The set-top was unable to record this program".
Hilarious thing: TWC price hikes correspond with the decline of their already garbage service. As always one thing is constant with TWC; their service is inversely propotional to the cost.

This is exactly what happing to me. What model box do you have?

A_C

Manhattan Supremacist
post #25446 of 26590 Old 12-28-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:

This is exactly what happing to me. What model box do you have?

A_C

I have a 8300HD
post #25447 of 26590 Old 12-28-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just got back from the 96th St store - tried to place both of my boxes (an old SA4250 and a Sammy 3090).

They gave me a Samsung 3362 to replace the 4250, but didn't have any newer DVRs in stock (they called down to 23rd st for me and they didn't have any either). In fact they only had 8300s..... that's really bad...

The website says the HD channels for the free preview of league pass will only work with newer Cisco and Sammy boxes (3090 not on the list), so I was a bit annoyed. But of course when I plugged my 3090 back in, the channels now work.... weird... They definitely didn't work before (other than TEAM1) and I did try rebooting.
post #25448 of 26590 Old 12-28-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:

A_C

Financial district. I've also read some TiVo horror stories, but I've never had any problems with my HD or Premiere XL.
post #25449 of 26590 Old 12-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 View Post

[...] they only had 8300s..... that's really bad...

Wouldn't be if they hadn't trashed it with untested updates. The 8300 worked just fine for me for years.

A_C

Manhattan Supremacist
post #25450 of 26590 Old 12-28-2011, 04:04 PM

is swapping the 8300HD for something else worth it? What's the best DVR that TWC has?
post #25451 of 26590 Old 12-28-2011, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

is swapping the 8300HD for something else worth it? What's the best DVR that TWC has?

as far as i can tell - the 8300hd is only useful if you have an external HD (last i heard these were the only boxes that had a decent chance of getting an external hard drive to work)

Otherwise you are limiting yourself with recording space - as it has a smaller internal HD than every other box out there (other than the 8300hdc)
post #25452 of 26590 Old 12-28-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wouldn't be if they hadn't trashed it with untested updates. The 8300 worked just fine for me for years.

A_C

o yeah - i had an 8300hd for 4 years - worked great until the big software update came.
post #25453 of 26590 Old 12-28-2011, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

A_C

Crap!

As much of a PITA as it is, I would schedule a service call. Sometimes a customer will pull up the diagnostics and it shows OK ranges, but there could be something else on a specific channel range or outside the home in your node causing problems. Even though Direct To Tech (so far) has not been helpful in your case-you mentioned that they did see some signal issues. Therefore, I would reply within that thread and have them set up a call. Navigator, regardless of software version/box type is VERY, VERY, finicky about signal levels through all distribution points. Service calls are free, so you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Have the tech guy specify on the work order the box you want if it needs to be replaced. There are the following DVR boxes out there with bigger hard drives:

Samsung 3270
Samsung 3272

The Sammy's are faster than the SA/Cisco's, but sometimes have issues with HDMI.

Cisco 8642
Cisco 8640

I heard that some divisions have the new Cisco 8700 series box, but have not heard enough about it to review it.

Tell the guy to write on the work order that if at all possible, you don't want an SA-8300HDC. Mine actually works OK, but if you get that, it is slower than your MDN box and has the smaller hard drive.

Or, if the tech can get your SA-8300 to hold resolutions and resolve the recording issues, you might want to keep it. However, as you have had multiple issues with this box, since the MDN 3.0 update, I would have the tech do the following:

Signal Strength evaluation for all channels that have recording issues. (Make a note of this for them to put on the work order.)

Drop Line Check and replace line if necessary.

New cables.wiring if needed.

Box Swap to a newer model if needed.

Jack

PS. The fact described above that you have a recording issue that has come back is VERY LIKELY a Signal/drop-line issue. (They already suspect this at the forum.) I would venture them to be correct with a probability of about 60%. I would request a newer model box too, as indicated above.

It is also possible that this software update for MDN 3.0 may have released certain parameters or conditions related to signal strength that were not present in your previous version of MDN, likely 2.5. (This often happens with in-house designed software, as is the case of Navigator.) I would do a service call for sure.

SA-8300-HDC: TWC Navigator: ODN 7.2.11

Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin

post #25454 of 26590 Old 12-29-2011, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post

Crap!

As much of a PITA as it is, I would schedule a service call. Sometimes a customer will pull up the diagnostics and it shows OK ranges, but there could be something else on a specific channel range or outside the home in your node causing problems. Even though Direct To Tech (so far) has not been helpful in your case-you mentioned that they did see some signal issues. Therefore, I would reply within that thread and have them set up a call. Navigator, regardless of software version/box type is VERY, VERY, finicky about signal levels through all distribution points. Service calls are free, so you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Have the tech guy specify on the work order the box you want if it needs to be replaced. There are the following DVR boxes out there with bigger hard drives:

Samsung 3270
Samsung 3272

The Sammy's are faster than the SA/Cisco's, but sometimes have issues with HDMI.

Cisco 8642
Cisco 8640

I heard that some divisions have the new Cisco 8700 series box, but have not heard enough about it to review it.

Tell the guy to write on the work order that if at all possible, you don't want an SA-8300HDC. Mine actually works OK, but if you get that, it is slower than your MDN box and has the smaller hard drive.

Or, if the tech can get your SA-8300 to hold resolutions and resolve the recording issues, you might want to keep it. However, as you have had multiple issues with this box, since the MDN 3.0 update, I would have the tech do the following:

Signal Strength evaluation for all channels that have recording issues. (Make a note of this for them to put on the work order.)

Jack

PS. The fact described above that you have a recording issue that has come back is VERY LIKELY a Signal/drop-line issue. (They already suspect this at the forum.) I would venture them to be correct with a probability of about 60%. I would request a newer model box too, as indicated above.

It is also possible that this software update for MDN 3.0 may have released certain parameters or conditions related to signal strength that were not present in your previous version of MDN, likely 2.5. (This often happens with in-house designed software, as is the case of Navigator.) I would do a service call for sure.

Satch,

I appreciate your help, but I believe you’re making some unsupported assertions;

First, service calls in my experience are never, ever productive and they’re definitely not free. If I have to take a half-day off from work… Pull my AV cabinet apart to give them access… And then deal with a tech that typically isn’t even remotely qualified to understand what my problem is; that’s not free – That’s a waste of time.

Point of fact; In the 22 years I’ve lived at this address I’ve had many service calls for one reason or another. Not once (really nor even once) was the problem something they could resolve at my premises.

1) “[…] if the tech can get your SA-8300 to hold resolutions and resolve the recording issues”.

What exactly would the tech do that I can’t or haven’t done? To operate the box in ‘pass through’ mode you simply enable each and every resolution (with the possible exception of 480p, why do they even have that?). That’s what I’ve always done and it’s always worked fine in the past. Now it syncs to the lowest, not highest possible resolution enabled. Even if I enabled just 720p & 1080i I’d get CBS and NBC syncing at 720p (yes, I’ve tried it), so what exactly are the techs supposed to do?

2) “The fact described above that you have a recording issue that has come back is VERY LIKELY a Signal/drop-line issue. (They already suspect this at the forum.) I would venture them to be correct with a probability of about 60%.

I don’t think so… I can see the programs being recorded while I’m watching another; It simply doesn’t get retained in the recorded programs list, and shows up in the log as “The set-top box was unable to record this program” (see enclosure). There’s no degraded picture quality or micro-blocking, so the chance of the signal being too low to record is not very plausible in my view.

3) “It is also possible that this software update for MDN 3.0 may have released certain parameters or conditions related to signal strength that were not present in your previous version of MDN, likely 2.5.”

I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

I have a ticket opened up with TWC Regulatory, so I’ll be sure to post the outcome.

Cheers,

A_C

PS: Starting off a reply with "Crap!" is not a good way to promote constructive dialog.
LL
LL

Manhattan Supremacist
post #25455 of 26590 Old 12-29-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:

Crap!

Samsung 3270
Samsung 3272

Cisco 8642
Cisco 8640

Jack

This whole post is plain garbage. All the assumptions and conjecture...one would think you had actually made service calls to the people that are actually having the issues. the same issues miraculously happening to multiple users at the same time...and you ascribe it to bad signal/drop lines? ridiculous!
post #25456 of 26590 Old 12-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

I'm seriously considering jettisoning my SA 8300HD DVR in favor of a Tivo, so I'd like some advice on how the cabling would work.

[See enclosure] - I'm pretty sure I've got the basic config down; the only thing I'm not sure about is what kind of splitter to use and which outputs to connect to what.

I have two splitters in the drawer:

1) 3-Way Balanced 1GHz......... -5.5db / -5.5db / -5.5db

2) 3-Way Unbalanced 1GHz..... -3.5db / -7.5db / -7.5db

Which one should I use and which outputs go with which component?

Thanks!

A_C
LL

Manhattan Supremacist
post #25457 of 26590 Old 12-29-2011, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm seriously considering jettisoning my SA 8300HD DVR in favor of a Tivo, so I'd like some advice on how the cabling would work.

[See enclosure] - I'm pretty sure I've got the basic config down; the only thing I'm not sure about is what kind of splitter to use and which outputs to connect to what.

Thanks!

A_C

In light of all of this,

And if anyone is unhappy after multiple service calls that go nowhere, switch to another provider. Looks like you might be looking at a TIVO? Are you considering Direct TV, U-Verse, or just OTA, or OTA, with something like a Netfix subsciption?

Keep us posted!

Satch

post #25458 of 26590 Old 12-29-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:

In light of all of this,

And if anyone is unhappy after multiple service calls that go nowhere, switch to another provider. Looks like you might be looking at a TIVO? Are you considering Direct TV, U-Verse, or just OTA, or OTA, with something like a Netfix subsciption?

Keep us posted!

Satch

How very constructive. Unfortunately most of us in NY are not blessed with multiple provider choices.
post #25459 of 26590 Old 12-29-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

A_C

Is there a reason for keeping the twc dvr? I'd suggest the -5.5 balanced
post #25460 of 26590 Old 12-29-2011, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How very constructive. Unfortunately most of us in NY are not blessed with multiple provider choices.

I wish your division had better TWC service! Here in Wisconsin, it's pretty good. I think with the scenarios I have seen, TWC offers better deals, but the competition's equipment is much better, more modern, and more reliable.

Our family has had cable since 1985, and the only thing we hate are the rising prices every six months to a year, and sometimes the Navigator guide is a bit slow. (I am trying to get them to add Manual Recording and Keyword Search here in Wisconsin.) LOVE Road Runner and Digital Phone through!

Do you have TWC Road Runner and Digital Phone, or just TWC Digital Cable?

Satch

post #25461 of 26590 Old 12-30-2011, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Before, I had a lot of issues with TWC. Audio drops, video glitches, you name it. Ironically, one of the reasons that contributed to my problem was that I had great cabling (ran it new, when I moved). The signal was too hot. So the splitter had to introduce some dB loss to compensate. Also, don't look just at the RDC/FDC power. Make sure you're not seeing errors for your tuners. IIRC, I believe it was FEC (forward error correction). So for me, I had one bad tuner in my DVR and my signal was too hot.

After I got that all sorted out, almost all of my problems went away.

Thanks,
Hansang
post #25462 of 26590 Old 12-30-2011, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In light of all of this,

Keep us posted!

Satch

I presently don't have any other options besides TWC. Like I said in my original message, I'm just circling the drain waiting for FIOS.

Any opinion on which splitter I should use?

A_C

Manhattan Supremacist
post #25463 of 26590 Old 12-31-2011, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

MSG and MSG+ are gone
post #25464 of 26590 Old 12-31-2011, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I just googled and saw the news.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/sp...r-systems.html

Sorry about that. We have had disputes with our local RSN's here in Orlando in the past and it is rough to lose sports programming.

Hopefully, MSG is not off TWC NYC too long.
post #25465 of 26590 Old 12-31-2011, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

http://twcconversations.com/msg/

Sports Pass free preview for all of January
post #25466 of 26590 Old 12-31-2011, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
When we last lost Sun Sports here in Orlando about 10 years ago, they gave us free NBA League Pass.

It is nice they are giving you something for free.
post #25467 of 26590 Old 12-31-2011, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDOrlando View Post

When we last lost Sun Sports here in Orlando about 10 years ago, they gave us free NBA League Pass.

It is nice they are giving you something for free.

last time TWC lost MSG 7 years ago - we got NBATV instead for the duration (when it was a premium channel)
post #25468 of 26590 Old 01-01-2012, 05:06 AM

I think the big issue here is not TWC, but the companies run by James Dolan (he runs both Cablevision and MSG Network). Given how Dolan has caused no end of grief to everyone, I think TWC pulled the plug just to spite Dolan (you DO remember Cablevision dropping the ABC and FOX for a while in recent years, right?). It's small wonder why the New York Yankees left MSG and formed the YES Network, which has turned into a major moneymaking machine for the team.

Raymond in Sacramento, CA
post #25469 of 26590 Old 01-01-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 View Post

MSG and MSG+ are gone

The irony is that MSG-HD just got enabled on FIOS 2 weeks ago?!
post #25470 of 26590 Old 01-01-2012, 08:42 AM

I wish NHL would now lift the blackout restrictions for NYC. I would immediately sign up for the NHL center ice package.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page