AVS Forum banner

New York, NY - TWC

3M views 27K replies 1K participants last post by  G1Ravage 
#1 ·
Well, in that other thread (that discussed the 3100 -> 3510 transition) a bunch of folks were saying we should do this, so here it is!

I haven't called yet to try to swap my box out. Reports from some about marginal PQ improvements are making me stay put for the moment...

Maybe I'll try to get one for my bedroom to replace the SD box in there...

TM

#17,641 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy /forum/post/15389090

ALL video is compressed so the issue is the "amount."

Not only that, but Verizon's agreement is to deploy FIOS to all of NYC by... 2017. Yes, two thousand and seventeen. AND there was no "obligation" for them to have some vague idea of a schedule. Not has Verizon, as a matter of customer service, even hinted at when hoods would be able to get it. PLUS there's the whole "property owner letting us in."

Despite all that, if TWC service stays the way it is right now, I'm switching in a heartbeat. There are just way, way too many "breakups/skippage" to really being able to watch something without glitching. I'm getting way tired of missing that 5 seconds of critical dialog...

I've been experiencing similar breaks/skips near City Hall running a 8300HD. I had a complete rewire by TW a few years ago. FIOS has been in my building since the summer and ought to have any kinks worked out. I've been with TW and predecessors since 1978.

FIOS arrives Monday between 1 and 5 pm. The NY FIOS forum reports that MSNBC is available on 103 in Manhattan. I'll miss NY1 and Rangers in HD at least until TW and CV come to their advertising senses.

#17,642 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk718 /forum/post/15389691

help - i have the 8300hdc and know there is a way to schedule a recording based on theme - like if i want to to record anything related to "Volleyball" but can't figure out how to do it - does anyone know? Thanks for your help

i dont think this is possible with the current software.

#17,643 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV Dude /forum/post/15386498

I made a list comparing the HD channels that are presently exclusive to both TWCNYC and FiosTV. Being that Fios is TWC's only legitimate competitor in NYC I wanted to see how TWC stacked up against them and to be quite honest they stack up pretty well if not better.

FiosTV

WGN America HD

NFL Network HD

Outdoor Channel HD (Available in Some TWC Markets)

Smithsonian Channel HD

Lifetime HD (Postponed by TWC Until Further Notice)

HSN HD (Expected to be Launched by TWC on February 4th)

Wealth TV HDTV

4 Showtime HD West Coast Feeds

2 TMC HD West Coast Feeds

7 HBO HD West Coast Feeds

4 Cinemax HD West Coast Feeds

TWCNYC

CBS College Sports HD

MSG HD

MSG+ HD

Crime & Investigation HD

Style HD

TV One HD

G4 HD

Cartoon HD

Golf HD

Game HD

Team HD

NHL Network HD

HD MOD

HD Showcase On Demand

I still dont get CBS COLLEGE SPORTS HD CHANNEL 467

#17,645 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamanaco /forum/post/15390019

...I'm getting to watch all of the paid channels for which I have no subscription. All paid channels are currently unblocked. Anyone else experiencing this?... Is this a TWC Holiday promotion? I just finished watching Hollow Men on Outer Max HD... Thanks TWC.

EDIT: I guess is not just me... my friend in Queens is experiencing the same thing.

Yeah, promo I think from 12/25-12/28. It was on the back of the envelope of my last TWC bill. Too bad I am in southern manhattan so I have limited HD options for these...

#17,646 ·
...to everyone here. Lurker on the site a while but not so much in the thread. But doing a search I found it and all I have to say...I am not alone!!!! But I have always had dropouts, stuttering, pixelation and the GSOD (grey screen of death). Hell the FOX HD feed was GSOD for the Super Bowl (I actually shed a tear).

Anyway is this all going to go away when the analog channels go bye bye? Has anyone contacted TWCNYC in regards to this here and gotten a somewhat truthful response?

#17,648 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc28 /forum/post/15394924

...to everyone here. Lurker on the site a while but not so much in the thread. But doing a search I found it and all I have to say...I am not alone!!!! But I have always had dropouts, stuttering, pixelation and the GSOD (grey screen of death). Hell the FOX HD feed was GSOD for the Super Bowl (I actually shed a tear).

Anyway is this all going to go away when the analog channels go bye bye? Has anyone contacted TWCNYC in regards to this here and gotten a somewhat truthful response?

Are you sure your coax cable coming in from the cable box is up to spec? If you go to channel 996, is everything green in terms of signal strength?

#17,649 ·
Greetings to everyone at AVS!

Santa was good to me this year and brought me a shiny new 46" LCD . I am considering switching from component to HDMI for my 8300HDC. However, I use the digital coaxial out to provide DD5.1 to my receiver. I remember reading a while back that enabling HDMI disables the coaxial/optical digital audio connections. Is this true? If so, what would you guys do in this situation?

Any info would be greatly appreciated before I go ahead and order any cables.

Thanks!

#17,650 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNY718 /forum/post/15398115

Greetings to everyone at AVS!

Santa was good to me this year and brought me a shiny new 46" LCD . I am considering switching from component to HDMI for my 8300HDC. However, I use the digital coaxial out to provide DD5.1 to my receiver. I remember reading a while back that enabling HDMI disables the coaxial/optical digital audio connections. Is this true? If so, what would you guys do in this situation?

Any info would be greatly appreciated before I go ahead and order any cables.

Thanks!

If your receiver doesn't have HDMI input - then you're out of luck... thats the only way to get any digital sound out of the box if you use the HDMI port for video

There is no reason to worry though - there isn't supposed to be any video quality between HDMI vs component cables.

#17,652 ·
It's nice having this HD Showcase on Demand channel (#699), but it does have its glitches. One episode of the most recent season of "Mad Men" never showed up at all, and now I'm having a new problem. I've been trying to watch the James Taylor episode of the Sundance Channel's "Spectacle: Elvis Costello With...", but I keep getting "Error 032." All the other episodes are working fine. I've already called in and e-mailed a complaint.

Is anyone else able to access this particular episode on channel 699?

#17,653 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2680 /forum/post/15387817

BravoHD= haven't seen anything hd on that channel

of course A&EHD is the leader of stretch vision.

The "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" Sunday night block (6PM to 2AM) is in HD on Bravo HD. And today (Sunday) A&E showed two movies, "Escape from New York" and "The Shining," that have been making the rounds on other HD channels (HDNet, Universal HD, etc.). But did A&E HD used the same HD masters as these other HD channels? Nope, it was their usual 4:3 picture stretched to fill the 16x9 screen. What a waste of bandwidth this sorry excuse of a once-great channel is.

#17,654 ·
Hi folks,

I haven't contributed much, but I am hoping for some help. I have been without real cable service since Thanksgiving. I won't tell the whole story, but a tech did come to my home a month ago and established the the problem is not with my equipment or in my apt. The problem is in the building. I have spoken to many "Senior" customer service agents at TWC. I have logged my calls and their ID numbers. The latest is that they may get a building team to me by Jan 2. This would be at least the third date they promised.

My question: does anyone know the numbers, addresses, and any other contact info for senior executives at TWC. Someone there must be appalled by this right? I'm getting no luck on the phone and my emails go ignored.

If anyone has help, I will be most grateful.

Thank you,

A

#17,656 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 /forum/post/15401826

not sure when this happened - but the recently added 'QVCHD' has actually become a 'real' HD channel in the last few days. Just noticed now...

Happened after their Christmas "sign-off" special

#17,657 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wx27 /forum/post/15394654

Yeah, promo I think from 12/25-12/28. It was on the back of the envelope of my last TWC bill. Too bad I am in southern manhattan so I have limited HD options for these...

Well, this promotion is also causing some problems for me. This morning the DVR rebooted itself and I'm back with the 75 analog channels none of which work properly. Maybe those new extra HD channels have weaken the signal to my house because I continue to get only one progress bar after several reboots. Anyone else currently having this problem on the UWS?

For I while I thought we were getting one over TWC with all those unblocked subscription channels... I now see the promo on the back of the envelope... The Cable Man wins again.

#17,658 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamman100 /forum/post/15401401

Hi folks,

I haven't contributed much, but I am hoping for some help. I have been without real cable service since Thanksgiving. I won't tell the whole story, but a tech did come to my home a month ago and established the the problem is not with my equipment or in my apt. The problem is in the building. I have spoken to many "Senior" customer service agents at TWC. I have logged my calls and their ID numbers. The latest is that they may get a building team to me by Jan 2. This would be at least the third date they promised.

My question: does anyone know the numbers, addresses, and any other contact info for senior executives at TWC. Someone there must be appalled by this right? I'm getting no luck on the phone and my emails go ignored.

If anyone has help, I will be most grateful.

Thank you,

A

PM'd Rick L's direct number.

A_C

#17,659 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansangb /forum/post/15396476

Are you sure your coax cable coming in from the cable box is up to spec? If you go to channel 996, is everything green in terms of signal strength?

Thanks for responding...I am a noob so I have no idea how to access signal strength on this box. I assume this is not common knowledge (or rather something TWC wants you to know)? Anyway back in the day when I had RCN I googled my box and found out how to get to the maintenance menu. I will try and look up my current box (sci atl 8300HD DVR). If you know then posting that would be awesome!!!

#17,660 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc28 /forum/post/15403210

Thanks for responding...I am a noob so I have no idea how to access signal strength on this box. I assume this is not common knowledge (or rather something TWC wants you to know)? Anyway back in the day when I had RCN I googled my box and found out how to get to the maintenance menu. I will try and look up my current box (sci atl 8300HD DVR). If you know then posting that would be awesome!!!

if its the 8300hd - then hold select and exit on your cable box for a few seconds until it 'dings' and says DIAG on the box - then go to ch 1999.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.