Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 4128 Old 06-26-2006, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltinvt View Post

If one can not currently receive a very good signal from any of the analog stations off of Mt Mansfield now, would have any chance of getting the digital signals when they go live this Fall?

I'm near the Connecticut River (Bradford) at about 800 feet but don't have a clear view to the West or North. I have is a decent UHF antenna, rotor and amp but no longer any VHF.

When I did have the VHF, I do remember getting a kind of snowy picture from WCAX but it was worse than cable.

Walt, I will not pretend to understand radiated power and tower heights, but the attached clearly shows the DT signal for Ch. 3 to be significantly stronger than the analog. However if you look at the contour map of each there is no appreciable difference. Maybe someone else can shed some light.

I also looked at Ch. 31 and note the reverse, a stronger analog signal than digital and that is definitely true for me as I could receive a good picture on analog but cannot watch digital as signal strength is too weak so there are many dropouts.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=46728
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4128 Old 06-26-2006, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nheagle View Post

Walt, I will not pretend to understand radiated power and tower heights, but the attached clearly shows the DT signal for Ch. 3 to be significantly stronger than the analog. However if you look at the contour map of each there is no appreciable difference. Maybe someone else can shed some light.

I also looked at Ch. 31 and note the reverse, a stronger analog signal than digital and that is definitely true for me as I could receive a good picture on analog but cannot watch digital as signal strength is too weak so there are many dropouts.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=46728

I don't begin to understand the technicalities involved either.

I'm just real tired of it being so hard to get HD up here and hope we're finally getting closer. We're been years behind the rest of the country and it's gone on long enough.

It wouldn't be so bad if the people involved would give straight answers. The only person that has always told me like it was, good or bad, was the engineer at WNNE durning their transition to digital last year. Roger always answered my emails and returned my phone calls. He's a great asset to Hearst Argyle and I imagine he'll move up the ladder quickly. I can't say as much for his boss at WPTZ.

Now I have the opposite as you for WNNE reception. I never received a very clear signal from their analog (31) station but have always gotton a great, rock solid signal from their digital (25). I also get a good signal from the VTPBS digital (24) on Mt Ascutney.

I wish someone could get a straight answer regarding whether Dish Network will have these Burlington digital signals this year. They were listed in the original group of 50 DMAs that Dish planned to launch sometime this year but I haven't been able to find out anything since. In order for Dish to add the digital feeds to the locals package, these affiliates would have to give Dish retransmission consent, which means they have to know something about this, yet none of them seem to be talking.

A moral wrong is not a civil right
post #363 of 4128 Old 06-26-2006, 03:00 PM

Walt; I get Northern NY Mountain lake PBS pretty good via digital but the analog feed is snowy. However not all digital receivers are the same; my very old Sammy STB works OK; the MYHD 100 was worse, the MYHD120 I just picked up better (similar to the Sammy) and a Directv HD Sony HD300 receiver I had was the best.....YMMV.
post #364 of 4128 Old 06-27-2006, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter View Post

Walt; I get Northern NY Mountain lake PBS pretty good via digital but the analog feed is snowy. However not all digital receivers are the same; my very old Sammy STB works OK; the MYHD 100 was worse, the MYHD120 I just picked up better (similar to the Sammy) and a Directv HD Sony HD300 receiver I had was the best.....YMMV.

I agree. Although I've not tried any digital receivers other than Dish Networks, I have used their 811, 942 and 622 and found all of them different.

Channels 24 & 25 from Mt Ascutney I receive well on all 3 units with signals avg in 80s to 90s but for fringe stations like WMUR-DT (59) in Manchester,NH, I actually locked on it a couple of times with the 811 when the signal went over 65% but most of the time it would read 49 to 55% and wouldn't lock. Similar with a couple Boston stations. However none of those stations will even wiggle the meter on either the 942 or 622. It's like they don't exist.

post #365 of 4128 Old 07-16-2006, 06:49 PM

Good News and Bad News
Good - They have gotten the antenna and transmitter installed at the Burke Mtn VPT site. It is broadcasting on 20-1 only right now while it is still in testing. I get a good digital signal while the analog is snowy. Walt you may get this station in Bradford.

Bad - I talked to the engineer a couple weeks ago and the last I heard there were problems with the tower anchor bolts on Mount Mansfield. They didn't stretch as much as they were supposed too when they torqued on them. They were going to try to break them free of any possible source of binding in the rocks below by over stressing them. I may see him in the next couple of days I'll post what I find out.

Steve
post #366 of 4128 Old 07-16-2006, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey, Steve.

Were the problems with anchor bolts on Mansfield related only to VPT's tower? They better be! Delays with WETK don't bother me that much because I already have WCFE coming in strong, but God forbid anything going wrong with the other two towers for the main networks. I NEED THEM FOR SEPTEMBER!

I might be going down to VT in middle-late August to check on their progress (I'm hoping to see towers). On a related note, is anyone else interested in the idea I floated earlier (about having a mountain-top party when the work will be completed)?
post #367 of 4128 Old 07-17-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker_pick View Post

Good News and Bad News
Good - They have gotten the antenna and transmitter installed at the Burke Mtn VPT site. It is broadcasting on 20-1 only right now while it is still in testing. I get a good digital signal while the analog is snowy. Walt you may get this station in Bradford.

Bad - I talked to the engineer a couple weeks ago and the last I heard there were problems with the tower anchor bolts on Mount Mansfield. They didn't stretch as much as they were supposed too when they torqued on them. They were going to try to break them free of any possible source of binding in the rocks below by over stressing them. I may see him in the next couple of days I'll post what I find out.

Steve

Where these anchors bolts cast into concrete footings (usually hooked on the bottom or fastened to steel plates at the embedded end) or where they adhesive type (straight ends that fit into drilled holes filled with epoxy adhesive)?

The adhesive type could actually be drilled into the mountain ledge?

Either way, I don't understand what you mean by "didn't stretch" unless it's that the tensile strength of the bolt didn't meet specs and thus couldn't stand the applied torque.

Somethimes the term "stretch" is used as slang when discribing the inability to fix a situation where the anchors were set too deep and didn't allow enough protrusion to accomodate the tower base plate plus the appropiate washers and nuts: "we couldn't stretch them enough"....

In any event, there's a tremendious amount of tensil stress on tower anchors, so it's critical they meet specs for material grade AND be installed correctly.

The key here is what type of anchor configuration they used and what the EOR (engineer of record) will and won't allow for repair possibilities. This could conceivably cause a long delay or could be a one day fix - depending on the circumstances.

For instance if the EOR allowed extensions to be welded to the anchors, that might not be too bad. If on the other hand the anchors have to be replaced and they were cast into concrete footings, we could be talking a major delay.

Has any of this hit the media yet?

post #368 of 4128 Old 07-17-2006, 09:22 PM

Walt and Foxfan,
I don't know the answers to either of your questions but will try to find out. I need them for football season too. Hope all is well will post back anything new.
Steve
post #369 of 4128 Old 07-17-2006, 09:34 PM

P.S.
The way he explained it to me, and he said it was complicated, was that when they tested the tower anchor bolts they didn't "stretch" the required two inches or whatever. They were only about a fourth of what they should have been. Now this guy was a VPT engineer so it may have only applied to the tower that he cared about.
And yes a party to celebrate OTA HDTV in Vermont when they get them up would be fun. Do you know if there is a road to drive up there? Might be a fun motorcycle ride.
Steve
post #370 of 4128 Old 07-20-2006, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

As stated on the FCC web site:

Are they ever gonna broadcast????????

- REASONS FOR REQUIRING AN EXTENSION OF TIME TO CONSTRUCT

AS NOTED IN WVNY-DT'S PENDING FORM 337 APPLICATION FOR EXTENSION OF TIME TO CONSTRUCT, BEPCDT-20050802ADU, WHICH IS INCORPORATED BY REFERENCE, DUE TO THE VERY SHORT CONSTRUCTION SEASON AT THE MT. MANSFIELD SITE (WITHOUT TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION ANY UNFORESEEN FURTHER DELAYS) AND STRICT ENVIRONMENTAL CONSTRAINTS ATTACHED TO THE LOCAL PERMITS, LAMBERT BROADCASTING OF BURLINGTON, LLC ('LAMBERT') ANTICIPATES THAT IT CANNOT COMPLETE CONSTRUCTION OF WVNY-DT BEFORE MID-NOVEMBER 2006. LAMBERT IS SUBMITTING THIS APPLICATION TO REFERENCE ITS MODIFIED CONSTRUCTION PERMIT BMPCDT-20060221ACX, WHICH WAS ISSUED MARCH 13, 2006 FOR A SIX-MONTH TERM ENDING SEPTEMBER 13, 2006.

ATTACHED HERETO FOR THE CONVENIENCE OF THE COMMISSION IS A COPY OF THE LETTER DATED JUNE 23, 2005, WHICH WAS FILED TO SEEK WAIVER OF THE JULY 1, 2005 REPLICATION AND MAXIMIZATION DEADLINE. THAT LETTER FULLY EXPLAINS THE PROTRACTED REGULATORY DELAYS THAT LAMBERT AND OTHER BURLINGTON STATION LICENSEES EXPERIENCED IN GETTING AUTHORIZATION TO CONSTRUCT DTV FACILITIES AT MT. MANSFIELD, AND LAYS OUT THE SCHEDULE FOR COMPLETING CONSTRUCTION, WHICH IS PROCEEDING AS ANTICIPATED. FOR EXAMPLE, LAMBERT AND THE OTHER BROADCASTERS CONSTRUCTING THE SITE HAVE LAID BUILDING AND TOWER FOUNDATIONS, CONSTRUCTED THE BUILDINGS, AND ORDERED ALL NECESSARY EQUIPMENT. IT IS ANTICIPATED THAT WVNY'S ANTENNA WILL ARRIVE NEXT WEEK, AND THAT THE TRANSMITTER WILL ARRIVE IN EARLY SEPTEMBER.

THE STRICT LAND USE REQUIREMENTS ON MT. MANSFIELD AND UNAVOIDABLY SHORT CONSTRUCTION PERIOD ARE OUTSIDE OF LAMBERTS CONTROL. ACCORDINGLY, LAMBERT REQUESTS EXTENSION OF ITS CURRENT SEPTEMBER 13, 2006, CONSTRUCTION DEADLINE IN ORDER TO CONTINUE AND COMPLETE ITS DTV BUILD-OUT EFFORTS.
post #371 of 4128 Old 07-22-2006, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Ah common this sucks !!!
post #372 of 4128 Old 07-24-2006, 10:10 AM

I agree TheRedknight - football season is coming up fast too........and NBC, ABC, and CBS just denied my waivers to received the feeds from the New York / L.A. feeds. This really sucks!!
post #373 of 4128 Old 07-25-2006, 04:48 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedknight View Post

Ah common this sucks !!!

This is disgusting totally a friggen joke. 2007 before northern vermont gets any real DTV. oh and btw guys I talked to the PBS Engineer and the 20-1 is live but its just a simulcast of thier analog feed. They are wating for mansfield to go live cause once that does they will get their HD and other simulcast channels via microwave from mansfield to populate the burke mtn tower. Also I dont think that walt will get st j its very low power right now only 23KW or so. Unless you have a clean line of site Idont think your goign to get anything off it.
post #374 of 4128 Old 07-25-2006, 04:56 PM

just wondering does anyone have the new 5 lnb dish from directv? if so is there any more hd channels available with it? getting frustrated with the whole hd situation in vt.
post #375 of 4128 Old 07-26-2006, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt33b View Post

just wondering does anyone have the new 5 lnb dish from directv? if so is there any more hd channels available with it? getting frustrated with the whole hd situation in vt.

Directv is making promises for local into local HD nothing else
post #376 of 4128 Old 07-26-2006, 06:17 PM

I talked to the VPT engineer again yesterday and he told me that they were supposed to deliver the steel for the commercial towers yesterday. They would be doing some assembly and then the helicopter would start installing them on the 8th of Aug. (22nd for the VPT tower using a crane.) The issue with the foundations was indeed only for the VPT tower and it required them to jackhammer into the base to repair a coupling.

P.S. jmcgee_jr you're right, I forgot to mention that it was just a rebroadcast of the analog feed for testing.
post #377 of 4128 Old 07-27-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgee_jr View Post

This is disgusting totally a friggen joke. 2007 before northern vermont gets any real DTV. oh and btw guys I talked to the PBS Engineer and the 20-1 is live but its just a simulcast of thier analog feed. They are wating for mansfield to go live cause once that does they will get their HD and other simulcast channels via microwave from mansfield to populate the burke mtn tower. Also I dont think that walt will get st j its very low power right now only 23KW or so. Unless you have a clean line of site Idont think your goign to get anything off it.

Are you upset Jim?

post #378 of 4128 Old 07-28-2006, 05:20 AM

Quote:

Are you upset Jim?

LOL yeah welll you know my situation. I dropped 140 bucks on that samsung 451 and then I dropped another 50 for the CM 4228 and then poles were about 7 bucks each I got 2 of them then spent another 60 on the Radio Shack Rotor. And Coax. And I also got a CM 7777 Pre amp. Put it all up on my roof. Victorian style my guestamate is im about 50+ feet up in the air. Im up on the hill in groton about 850ft about sea level and with that setup I can only get about 2 bars from the littleton PBS I know they are only broadcasting low power right now and I can only get 1 bar for ST J PBS. I moved here from phoenix where I got every channel OTA without a preamp nicely GOD I miss those days . I just would be happy to get one channel in HD like PBS I really enjoyed thier programming in AZ. That and maybe some G-Men this fall in HD. Oh well lifes not always fair is it

I just for giggles ran my TOPO 5 Software and drew line of site to ST J and Littleton and Mansfield. From me to littleton there is only about 1 little mtn that btw us nothing huge I think its like 1600ft up and littleton is on the 1200ft antenna and im at 800 so there is a chance there I wont get it. PBS out of ST J looks a bit better. Nothing to much higher then me and they are broadcasting from about 2300ft up some hills btw us around 1500-1700ft and nothing really close. Now Manny is where it gets hairy for me. Going over the Groton heights mtns in the national forest is about 1600 feet up Im at 850 remember. Then just before mansfield is hogback mountain south of stowe its 3000ft up to the top or so and then a bit farther away is mansfield showing at 3500ft to the top and thats waht the FCC is showing that they are 1260 meters above sea level so thats about 4100 feet up so I dont know who or what is right there. So basically looks like didigtal from mansfield for me is going to be a no go ST J is a probobly and Littleton is a maybe. Time for me to put the house up for sale. Since charter wont get any HD anytime soon. And I wont settle for the HD lite that dish offers.
post #379 of 4128 Old 07-28-2006, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I got news from WCAX this week that they should be assembling the towers about now and raising them by chopper on the 8th of August. Transmitters in September and October...

Unfortunately, we probably won't be able to go when the work will be completed since the toll road up the mountain closes the 15th of October.
post #380 of 4128 Old 07-28-2006, 11:52 AM

I am not holding my breath they will be broadcasting this anytime. Seems like someone farts wrong up there and they get put back on the schedual. Were already one year behind.
post #381 of 4128 Old 07-28-2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgee_jr View Post

.... So basically looks like didigtal from mansfield for me is going to be a no go ST J is a probobly and Littleton is a maybe. Time for me to put the house up for sale. Since charter wont get any HD anytime soon. And I wont settle for the HD lite that dish offers.

You may actually be the first person to sell their house because of no HD signal.

post #382 of 4128 Old 07-28-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfan View Post

I got news from WCAX this week that they should be assembling the towers about now and raising them by chopper on the 8th of August. Transmitters in September and October...

Unfortunately, we probably won't be able to go when the work will be completed since the toll road up the mountain closes the 15th of October.

I assume you're referring to the "party" and not a "no go" on completion this Fall (even if the road closes)?

Don't want poor McGee to sell his house on a missunderstanding

post #383 of 4128 Old 07-28-2006, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Too bad, i was planning this trip with the family......

When you talked to the WCAX engineer, did he told you that all the transmitters need to be online at the same time? Are we able to get some channels before october?
post #384 of 4128 Old 07-28-2006, 02:13 PM

Quote:

I assume you're referring to the "party" and not a "no go" on completion this Fall (even if the road closes)?

Don't want poor McGee to sell his house on a missunderstanding

LOL yeah the wife wasnt too happy when I came home today told her we need to sell the house cause we wont be getting any HD soon she said if we sell this houe thats not the only thing I wont be getting anytime soon. So man does that Analog cable from charter look great
post #385 of 4128 Old 07-29-2006, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Sort of OT - I hiked Lyon Mountain today (PBS HD tower{can be seen from the fire tower}) what a beautiful view from the peak of Chazy Lake to the north and other mountains to the south. Apparently the Montreal sky line can be seen on a clear day, unfortunately it was cloudly. Mount Mansfield is next.
post #386 of 4128 Old 07-29-2006, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

The WCAX contact said that stations are free to sign on whenever they're ready (although they probably have to turn down the power when the others are up there). I don't think we'll see something before October.

I'll probably be going to Mt. Mansfield at the end of August to check out the new towers. Apparently you can also see the Montreal skyline from there, but it has to be on a clear and dry day...

On a related note, is anyone close enough to get some pictures of the helicopters flying up the towers starting August 8th?
post #387 of 4128 Old 07-29-2006, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

On a related note, is anyone close enough to get some pictures of the helicopters flying up the towers starting August 8th?

I've got line-of-sight to the peak of Mansfield from my house. If I can manage to find my tripod, I'll try to take some video on the 8th (my video camera has much higher zoom than my still camera).

Unfortunately, I'd be shooting through something like 30 miles of summer haze, so a decent shot is not likely.
post #388 of 4128 Old 08-05-2006, 08:06 AM

Looks like the weather will cooperate Aug 8th for tower raising!
Sunny and upper 70's. Got my fingers crossed.......
post #389 of 4128 Old 08-06-2006, 09:26 AM

Woooohooo we shall see....I am still hoping cause looks like mansfield is going to be my last resort for OTA HD. According to VT PBS ST J is full power right now and I cant get them. And so is Littleton for NH PBS and I cant pull them in either. And theres no chance in hell from the southern part of the state cause of mtns right behind me. Ugh......
post #390 of 4128 Old 08-07-2006, 05:26 AM

Ok a personal update guys. I added antoher 6ft mast to my already 6ft then rotor then antoher 6ft mast so I am now 6ft rotor then 12ft up. I still cant get enough of a signal to pull in PBS from littleton or ST J. I have a good picture of 33 and 22 has a severe ghost to it 44 I can pick it up enough to watch. I cant check any VHF channels cause I have UHF only antenna. So What do you guys think when mansfield goes live will I get OTA DTV or not LOL. I have one last card up my sleeve. My uncle has a really long yagi style UHF antenna classified as Super Deep Fringe. Mine is only fringe. So when I can get up to whitefeild to get it I will give it shot has to be soon snow is goign to start falling LOL.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page