Burlington, VT - HDTV - Page 139 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #4141 of 4149 Old 05-01-2015, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Welcome Movies! to the Champlain Valley... WCAX 3-2 changed last night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 4149 Old 08-18-2015, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
On vacation in Burlington, VT. The place we're staying near downtown has a beautiful Insignia HDTV, hooked to a DTA getting nothing but SD programming. So, naturally, I pulled out an antenna and decided to do something about it. Hooked my antenna up and scanned. You guys really aren't kidding, WVNY is nearly impossible to pull in. I'm using a Terk HDTVi and after 20 scans, I ended up using my spectrum analyzer to max out the signal by holding it in an awkward position in the center of the room with the VHF elements fully extended. It finally scanned in, but breaks up and is unwatchable no matter where I put it. I have yet to see a clean signal from WVNY.

Got every other station, including W25BT-D which almost always scans in but never seems to actually decode. So as long as I don't want to watch ABC, I'm in good shape, I guess.

44-2 really should be running a simulcast of WVNY.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #4143 of 4149 Old 08-18-2015, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
On vacation in Burlington, VT. The place we're staying near downtown has a beautiful Insignia HDTV, hooked to a DTA getting nothing but SD programming. So, naturally, I pulled out an antenna and decided to do something about it. Hooked my antenna up and scanned. You guys really aren't kidding, WVNY is nearly impossible to pull in. I'm using a Terk HDTVi and after 20 scans, I ended up using my spectrum analyzer to max out the signal by holding it in an awkward position in the center of the room with the VHF elements fully extended. It finally scanned in, but breaks up and is unwatchable no matter where I put it. I have yet to see a clean signal from WVNY.

Got every other station, including W25BT-D which almost always scans in but never seems to actually decode. So as long as I don't want to watch ABC, I'm in good shape, I guess.

44-2 really should be running a simulcast of WVNY.

- Trip
Downtown Burlington is a tough spot for Mt. Mansfield stations, of all types. Even WEZF and WVPS radio aren't the best down there, which has always confused me since that is the COL. WVPS HD locks south of Barre and holds all the way to just before St. Albans in my car staying on I-89. However, get off and go down the hill (US 2) into downtown Burlington and it drops a lot. I guess what is what WOXR HD is for. Back to TV, WVNY is my strongest signal, and that's with the antenna pointing at Montreal. To be fair, all of the Mt. Mansfield signals show 65 to 70% and WVNY is steady at 75 or so it's not that much different. WCFE is semi-blocked due to a small ridge, but it is still fine in the 40s. I used to get a couple of the translators on analog, but not on digital. CBC Montreal varies from 30% to 50% depending on atmospheric conditions, but locks most of the time.
post #4144 of 4149 Old 08-19-2015, 02:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That's not what I'm seeing. Excellent signal on all UHFs with minimal trouble, WVNY a struggle. WVPS sounded great all the way here outside of some picket fencing (multipath).

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #4145 of 4149 Old 08-19-2015, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's not what I'm seeing. Excellent signal on all UHFs with minimal trouble, WVNY a struggle. WVPS sounded great all the way here outside of some picket fencing (multipath).

- Trip
That is good to hear about the other TV signals. I have never done OTA TV downtown but I have in the North End when my cousin lived there, which has LOS to everything. WVNY is definitely antenna dependent. I have had good luck getting VHF with mine, but I definitely know that people have trouble with WVNY, especially with indoor antennas. My friend's parents are cord-cutters and I gave them an old indoor antenna I had. LOS and about 10 miles from Mt. Mansfield, they get WVNY well, but it requires making sure the antenna is just so. I used the same antenna here, and WVNY would (sometimes) scan in, but rarely show enough picture to tell what was on.

I have always based my thinking that TV would be tough OTA downtown based on the static on the radio and the TVFool maps. Click image for larger version

Name:	wfffLR.png
Views:	7
Size:	530.7 KB
ID:	895802
post #4146 of 4149 Old 08-19-2015, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ah, I'm just north of Pearl, so I'm definitely outside that apparent void. I'm actually impressed with how well I've done getting WCFE at the same time as the other broadcasters given its location in the opposite direction.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #4147 of 4149 Old 08-20-2015, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
On vacation in Burlington, --snip-- I'm using a Terk HDTVi and after 20 scans, I ended up using my spectrum analyzer to max out the signal --snip--

- Trip
You bring an antenna and spectrum analyzer on vacation. Now that's dedication! My kind of guy.

-Tony
post #4148 of 4149 Old 08-20-2015, 06:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disto View Post
Quote:
On vacation in Burlington, --snip-- I'm using a Terk HDTVi and after 20 scans, I ended up using my spectrum analyzer to max out the signal --snip--

- Trip
You bring an antenna and spectrum analyzer on vacation. Now that's dedication! My kind of guy.
Nah, I didn't bring an antenna. I brought three. :-)

- Trip
post #4149 of 4149 Unread Today, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Antennas are one of the best things to bring on vacation!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception