Burlington, VT - HDTV - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 4128 Old 09-29-2006, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need clarification: The HD version of channel 33 broadcasts on Channel 32? I ask because the Titan TV listing that VPT links to from their website has a Channel 33.5 that's carrying all the HD programs but there's no 32 listed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4128 Old 09-29-2006, 11:52 AM

Yipikyer,

Your T-165 may be not the problem. In Brossard, I have problems with 2 TV's. Kro have problems in St-Eustache. Disto have problems in Montreal. either video or audio or both !!!????

I do not beleived that all of us have a problem with Burlington VPT while all other channel work fine. It must be something with the signal.

Do you have a contact at VPT, can you ask them to check the signal if thing are in spec ?

I hope they will find the problem. It is probably a small thing but crucial. We have to give them a chance they are up for only a day.

My guest is the problem will disappeared and we will never know what happen.
Another case of C.B.F.M. :-)

Thanks,
post #633 of 4128 Old 09-29-2006, 12:06 PM

Powerdog,

If I read the question right, my answer is :
VPT from Mt-Mansfield is transmiting on Channel 32 but encoded the channel info 33.1 to 33.5 when your receiver decoded the signal. (they used the same number as their analog channel 33).
Montains lake PBS in Plattsburgh do the same. They transmit on channel 38 but encode the channel info 57.1 and 57.2(same as analog channel 57). Your receiver showed 57 when it is channel 38.

I hope it help.
Thanks,
post #634 of 4128 Old 09-29-2006, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdog View Post

Need clarification: The HD version of channel 33 broadcasts on Channel 32? I ask because the Titan TV listing that VPT links to from their website has a Channel 33.5 that's carrying all the HD programs but there's no 32 listed.

They physically broadcast on channel 32, but the receiver digitally pretends that it's on 33, so the old grannies won't bitch that they can't find their "stories" on the same channel that they used to.

It seems that the FCC is forcing stations to do this, although I would have prefered it if they would have stations map to whatever their final post-transition channel position would be.
post #635 of 4128 Old 09-29-2006, 01:33 PM

Thanks! I'd also appreciate any help figuring this out, even tho I'm sure this is the wrong forum:

My Sony HDTV is the only piece of equipment I have that "understands" HD. I have my roof antenna's coax attached to a Panny E85 DVD recorder and sound coming from an optical connection to a 3 y.o. Denon receiver.

My guess is that I need to get a coax splitter, second coax cable, and a second optical cable. Run antenna input to both E85 and TV through the splitter, and optical from TV to receiver. Does this sound about right? I mean, with my current setup the E85 can't just get out of the way and let the TV do the tuning, can it? (Obviously, I'm not trying to record HD...just watch it.)

Also, is there such a thing as a good coax splitter -- better than the cheap things you buy for a few dollars?
post #636 of 4128 Old 09-29-2006, 02:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks! I'd also appreciate any help figuring this out, even tho I'm sure this is the wrong forum:

My Sony HDTV is the only piece of equipment I have that "understands" HD. I have my roof antenna's coax attached to a Panny E85 DVD recorder and sound coming from an optical connection to a 3 y.o. Denon receiver.

My guess is that I need to get a coax splitter, second coax cable, and a second optical cable. Run antenna input to both E85 and TV through the splitter, and optical from TV to receiver. Does this sound about right? I mean, with my current setup the E85 can't just get out of the way and let the TV do the tuning, can it? (Obviously, I'm not trying to record HD...just watch it.)

Also, is there such a thing as a good coax splitter -- better than the cheap things you buy for a few dollars?

I'll jump in here even though I'm technically challenged but I do have an E-85.

If Sony HDTV is the only way to get the HD signal, then that's where the digital signal has to get to. You could split the coax like you say but maybe there's a better way.

How are you watching regular tv now? With coax into the E-85, then coax out to the tv or have you just got composite and or component out to tv?

Even though the E85 can't use the digital signal, it might carry through a RF (coax)connection so the tv can see it. The E85 may or may not have to be on for the carry through.

Assuming that works, you should be able to pick up the digital channels with the tv's digital tuner.

Now I assume you're taking advantage of the E85 with all the other channels to use it similar to a DVR? Record, time slip, pause, skip ahead, etc?

You may be able to do that with the digital signal too if your tv has composite outputs - preferably S-Video & Red / White audio.

If so just run those to any of the 3 composite inputs on the E-85 (L-1, L-2 or L-3) and you should be able to intergrate a good 480 signal back into the E-85 where you can then do all the stuff you do with the other channels. Even though it won't be HD, the E85 makes a real good dvd from HD converted down to 480.

Once you figure out some of the tricks (which you probably already have), the E85 is a great machine.

Good luck.

A moral wrong is not a civil right
post #637 of 4128 Old 09-29-2006, 02:35 PM

My first post. I've been monitoring this thread for months. Just thought I'd chime in. I have a medium sized UHF/VHF outdoor antenna mounted inside the roof my garage. I live in Shelburne, VT, about 22 Miles line of site from Mansfield. I currently have the antenna directed about 90 degrees away from Mansfield (For WFFF analog) and still pull in 33.5 Fine. I can also pull in the NY PBS channel, 57.1 (a tick over 40 miles). I'm using a Window XP MCE PC with an ATI HDTV Wonder. Love it! Can't wait for the rest of them to come on line. Wooohoooo! My only missing component is the tv...I've waited in anticipation that pricing would relax. Guess it's time to step it up!
post #638 of 4128 Old 09-29-2006, 05:25 PM

Here's a bummer. My dish 942 won't show any audio or video on vpt. Both CBC and SRC work fine.. My Directv Toshiba dst-3000 shows both audio and video.
So I think there's a problem with vpt signal and dish receivers, not with the signal itself...
Problem is my 942 records HD and my Toshiba does not.

We'll wait and see.

ps: I've picked up a 942 off ebay cheap, and it record and pauses HD.
Sweet.
post #639 of 4128 Old 09-29-2006, 06:49 PM

I live in Pointe-Claire on the island of Montreal and I am able to receive the signal using a Samsung TS-160 receiver with a RadioShack bowtie antenna. Steady signal but my meter shows 35-40%. Receiving both sub-channels. Audio and video is fine.
post #640 of 4128 Old 09-29-2006, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I tried calling their engineer but didn't reach him. There definitely is a compatibility issue with their stream.

I hope they're not gone for the weekend and that there is someone there to fix it.
post #641 of 4128 Old 09-29-2006, 07:10 PM

Hello everyone!

I live in Lasalle which is located between the Mercier and Champlain bridge in Montreal and about 120 Miles from Mt-Mansfield.

I use a "Channel Master model 4248 Yagi Style UHF Antenna", which is approximately 55 to 60 feet above ground.

I receive VPT-DT channels at 98% and WCFE DT 57-1 at around 89%. I sure hope that the signal from all the other DT channel signal will come in as strong.

The antenna is connected to the ASTC tuner of a Toshiba 37HL95 LCD tv.

Thanks all for keeping us informed
post #642 of 4128 Old 09-29-2006, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow. It's nice to see so many former lurkers of this thread join the forum. Welcome!

For Ettisl who is using a Samsung 160, did you keep it attached to a DirecTV dish or did you just keep it OTA only? I'm trying to figure out if it just works on your Samsung because the firmware would have been updated automatically via satellite?
post #643 of 4128 Old 09-30-2006, 12:42 AM

Just an FYI , Both digital 33 and 57 are fine , I have locked in all 7 channels. My setup is a VOOM satellite receiver for my OTA reception .Radioshack VU-160 antenna pointing at Mansfield w/RG6 cable, no amp and my location is Chazy NY. Signal is 99% for WETK and 91% for WCFE and not experiencing any problems. Perhaps some of you experiencing problems might have multi path reflection issues, I would try a very directional
antenna unless Dish recievers infact have an OTA issue. Just my humble opinion.
post #644 of 4128 Old 09-30-2006, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

I will try to update my T-165 this weekend. I have the software, i just need to buy a cable to interface with the sammy.

Let you know asap if this change anything

Hoping for the best.

ps i'm waiting a response from the head engineer. As soon as he respond, i'll post it here.
post #645 of 4128 Old 09-30-2006, 03:59 AM

Walt, I now have the coax from antenna to E85, and component from E85 to TV. You're saying that the E85 might take the place of a splitter. No harm in giving it a try, since I'd need another coax cable whether I use a splitter or not. I just wish there were a way to find out if the E85 just passes through whatever coax signal it receives. Trial and error, huh?
post #646 of 4128 Old 09-30-2006, 06:38 AM

Quote:

Walt, I now have the coax from antenna to E85, and component from E85 to TV. You're saying that the E85 might take the place of a splitter. No harm in giving it a try, since I'd need another coax cable whether I use a splitter or not. I just wish there were a way to find out if the E85 just passes through whatever coax signal it receives. Trial and error, huh?

Well I know it passes cable signals through to my tv whether the E85 is on or off, so it should work.

post #647 of 4128 Old 09-30-2006, 06:54 AM

Great! Here's goes...
post #648 of 4128 Old 09-30-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fniat View Post

Hello everyone!

I live in Lasalle which is located between the Mercier and Champlain bridge in Montreal and about 120 Miles from Mt-Mansfield.

I use a "Channel Master model 4248 Yagi Style UHF Antenna", which is approximately 55 to 60 feet above ground.

I receive VPT-DT channels at 98% and WCFE DT 57-1 at around 89%. I sure hope that the signal from all the other DT channel signal will come in as strong.

The antenna is connected to the ASTC tuner of a Toshiba 37HL95 LCD tv.

Thanks all for keeping us informed

here, we are in Prevost PQ, up the Laurentian mountains at 45° 52' N, 74° 05' W. 150 miles away from Mt Mansfield.

I use a Channel master 4221 (4 bowties) and a radioshack 30db preamp. I can pull VPT digitals at 28db will all analogs from burlington and platsburg (no rotor needed)

I'm far away but I get an unobstructed view to mt mansfield due to the elevations of my own and VPT antennas

receiver is a dvico fusion hdtv 5 PCI card next to my satellite DVB pci card.

---------------------------------------------------
listening to digital HD OTA 120 miles away.... with a reliable signal.
post #649 of 4128 Old 09-30-2006, 01:03 PM

SmogTDI

You are 90 mi away from Ottawa how good a signal are you getting from CBC / SRC Ottawa and Montreal. You can answer on the Montreal thread so we do not hijack this one.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6523323
post #650 of 4128 Old 09-30-2006, 03:45 PM

Liked: 11
After reading this thread for a few weeks I'd thought I'd chime in here.
I'm in Wheelock and using a set of rabbit ears hooked to a dish 622.I get a reading of 70-73 but I only get 1 out of the 5 channels and it appears to be the same as what I get from Dish and the quality is the same-definitely SD.The other 4 channels are black with no audio.
post #651 of 4128 Old 09-30-2006, 07:07 PM

Did VPT get a boost in signal strength? Right now my antenna isn't pointed directly at Mansfield, but I'm pulling a 60% signal, yesterday it was a 25% signal pointing in the same direction. The best I could do yesterday was get it to 65% when pointed directly at Mansfield, but then I lost the WCFE signal. Hopefully now I'll be able to find an antenna position to watch both VPT and WCFE without rotating.

I'm located in Laval, just north of Montreal. I can get channels 19 and 20 when the antenna is pointed in the right direction, but I can't get all the digital channels without rotating the antenna. Hopefully this will change if/when Canadian channels start broadcasting from Mt. Royal.
post #652 of 4128 Old 09-30-2006, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfan View Post

Wow. It's nice to see so many former lurkers of this thread join the forum. Welcome!

For Ettisl who is using a Samsung 160, did you keep it attached to a DirecTV dish or did you just keep it OTA only? I'm trying to figure out if it just works on your Samsung because the firmware would have been updated automatically via satellite?

I purchased this receiver on ebay with the software upgrade already there. I believe it came with version 1.?.14 which includes the broadcast flag update. I am using it for OTA only and never connected to DirectTV.
post #653 of 4128 Old 10-01-2006, 09:44 AM

Was just surprised this morning that channels 033.1 and 033.5 were not broadcasting any sound, image is nice. Everything was great up to this early morning. Anyone of you had noticed a similar situation? Thanks.
post #654 of 4128 Old 10-01-2006, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangara100 View Post

Was just surprised this morning that channels 033.1 and 033.5 were not broadcasting any sound, image is nice. Everything was great up to this early morning. Anyone of you had noticed a similar situation? Thanks.

What receiver are you using? The concensus on this forum seems to be that Echostar/DishNetwork equipment is having trouble getting any audio from VTP OTA.
post #655 of 4128 Old 10-01-2006, 10:01 AM

I didn't have any problem since this morning. Sound and image were perfect, reception is still around 70%. I have a HDTV TV, Sanyo, model HT30744 with a DT tuner built in. If I make research, I might find the real type of tuner in this TV. thanks.
post #656 of 4128 Old 10-01-2006, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vttom View Post

What receiver are you using? The concensus on this forum seems to be that Echostar/DishNetwork equipment is having trouble getting any audio from VTP OTA.

Hughes/LG as well, plus the old Samsung tuners can't get anything.
post #657 of 4128 Old 10-01-2006, 11:34 AM

Hi,
Another one of the lurkers. I live in Richmond and right now I have dish network with an hd receiver. Is it possible to tie into that or should I go buy an antenna and go direct in with coax? Also, I happen to have extra dishes attatched on the roof, can I use any of these in lieu of purchasing an antenna? Whoops, I have a sony with an internal tuner.

TIA
post #658 of 4128 Old 10-01-2006, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vttom View Post

Hmm.... I'm also using a ViP622, which is lacking sound. I see a pattern. Time to fire up Google. I'll let you know once I get it figured out.

Incidentally, the very first time I tuned into VPT-HD at around 1:00PM this afternoon, it messed up my ViP622: I'd tuned into VPT-HD, and when I noticed the lack of sound, I started surfing up and down the dial, trying to figure out if other channels were(n't) giving me any sound. At that point, no matter what channel I tuned to (including returning to VPT-HD), I got no sound AND no picture. I eventually rebooted the box. The got me back to where I am now. Great picture on VPT1 and VPTHD, just no sound.

VTTom.
There is no question that it is a problem with teh 622. I received a replacement 622 for other problems (randon resets, cold reboots etc...) same results with VPT and lack of sound with the new receiver. So I tried my 811 this morning and it pickep up VPT solid with SOUND.
Same antenna, same conditions etc...
How can I convince E* that's its their problem when they don't even own up to the random reboots? lately I have seen the worst CSR with E* when it comes to 622, they always blame it on software. What are the options? None. I will never go back to cable, and D* has even less HD.
post #659 of 4128 Old 10-01-2006, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey folks.

I've been able to test WETK's signal at my other location in Longueuil with an outdoor antenna. After rotating it off Plattsburgh and pointing it on Mt. Mansfield, I managed to get WETK's signal with a 95!

However, I was still not able to watch anything with an HTL-HD that gets all its updates. I did manage to get the signal to work with a D* H10 and my Sony TV.

Also, I think I may have found what their problem is. When VPT's channels showed up in my H10's guide, I saw the channels listed as 33.1, 33.3, 33.4, 33.5. However, the .2 subchannel shows up as 41.2, meaning that they ARE having a PSIP problem.
post #660 of 4128 Old 10-02-2006, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfan View Post

....Also, I think I may have found what their problem is. When VPT's channels showed up in my H10's guide, I saw the channels listed as 33.1, 33.3, 33.4, 33.5. However, the .2 subchannel shows up as 41.2, meaning that they ARE having a PSIP problem.

Sure sounds it. That also may account for people having problems with their Dish 622s. I know that receiver is real sensitive to any anomolies in the data stream.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page