Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 558 Old 09-08-2003, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Welcome to the new Central Florida Fall 2003 thread!

The new season is set to begin and that means more network HD!!!

Link back to the old Central Florida Summer 2003 thread for reference:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1

WRDQ-DT 14 still silent. :(

WMFE-DT 23 still nothing!
I see your marquee in front of the station says DTV is coming, but when??? :confused:

Here is a list of contacts for many local stations you may want to contact if the station is experiencing technical problems or your STB is encountering problems with their signal.

Orlando station's emails:
WESH: Richard.Monn@Hearst.com
WKCF: flynn@wb18.com
WFTV/WRDQ: john.demshock@wftv.com
WKMG: ftorbert@wkmg.com
WCEU: bill_schwartz@wceu.pbs.org
WOFL/WRBW: sknot370@FOXTV.COM (GM)
WOFL engineer: stevearowell@yahoo.com
WMFE: mike_simmons@wmfe.pbs.org
WOPX: Unknown
WBCC: padgetta@brevardcc.edu
WVEN/WOTF: aguernica@entravision.com (GM)

For more info about HD and DTV reception visit the following sites:

www.orlandodigital.tv has more information on HD programming availability, links to equipment manufacturers, weekly HDTV listings and links to earlier Central Florida AVS threads.

www.antennaweb.org has information you might find helpful for setting up your OTA antenna and recommendations on antenna requirements.

Be sure to check out the AVS forum's (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...p?s=&forumid=6) programming, hardware and recording threads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 558 Old 09-08-2003, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Satpro for a great forum...

Just a quick update on MNF, looks like ABC showed up with a few SD camera's and they're using them on the replays and Skycam which totally looks like hell during what is otherwise a great looking broadcast. My neighbor who came over to check it out on a REAL tv couldn't belive that he could see the holes in the refs jerseys and players jerseys or better yet, each individual blade of grass. Even after 9 moths this stuff is still unreal!
post #3 of 558 Old 09-08-2003, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

...but I still can't get over some unexcusable issues with the box.

Howdy, central FL neighbors. I'm in an interim house until my new one gets built. In lieu of sticking up my antenna for locals and getting satellite here, I decided to "simplify" my HDTV in my temporary house by getting HD cable. Now, you all have heard me complain about this before, and I'm not trying to just pointlessly rant, but I've just got to check in again and find out if a couple of the really annoying, inexcusable issues with BHN's HD hardware irritate anyone else like they do me...

Really there are only two biggies: why can't the audio for ALL of the channels be carried over the digital coax (like it can with satellite)? and why won't the channel guide work with the HD channels? I want seamless surfing without having to swap inputs on my receiver or flipping over to the tv's speakers and it'd be nice to see what's on next hour and get some info.

I will say that the service has been decent so far like mentioned in the Summer thread recently by some. I won't even talk about cost b/c we all know about that.

Oh, yeah, I've gotten more HD video drops in the first 5 days of cable then I have ever seen on satellite (including rain fade)...no joke.

Oh well, maybe the next box will be better. Anyone know when and what it may be? Perhaps RCA or Sony could show SA how to make a decent box?

Rich
post #4 of 558 Old 09-08-2003, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Every time someone has a problem with dropouts on digital cable it is signal strength. Call the techs and get BHN out to your place to measure your drop.

We have been so focused on video I never asked Greg if the next gen stb's will encode the analog audio channels to a 2.0 PCM on the digital output.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website
Central Florida ISF Calibration

post #5 of 558 Old 09-09-2003, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the tip Barry, I'll try that. I really should calm down a little b/c after never having a good experience with cable in the past, this time with BHN was pleasant.

Question for you Barry: What would you suggest to use to clean CRT lenses? I know I can search that forum, but I'd like to hear what you think. I split my 65" to move it (nerve racking!) and noticed the lenses are dirty, but was afraid to touch them. I'll have it split again next Spring and may try to clean them and have a look at the mirror.

Thanks,
Rich
post #6 of 558 Old 09-09-2003, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Rich,

You were right to be cautious about touching the CRT lenses or mirror inside your RPTV. Both of these surfaces are very easily scratched so great care and patience are required. Most experts have posted best results by first blowing the dust layer off with moisture free compressed air then using a super soft makeup brush to gently pull the dust from the center of the lens to the outer edges.

The use of cleaning solutions and fine non abrasive cloth is not recommended by all technicians. The techs who do use a solution prefer this one from film tools.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cinemasu...lencleanf.html

The soft cleaning cloths are here.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cinemasu...ilmikclot.html

Just go slow and don't be surprised if you find scratches and fingerprints from the factory before you begin.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website
Central Florida ISF Calibration

post #7 of 558 Old 09-09-2003, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info and the links to products! I'll try to get up the nerve and be very careful. I was really surprised how dirty they looked for being less than one year old. I was also concerned about moving the set outside in the Florida humidity for the move, but what can you do? Thanks again,

Rich
post #8 of 558 Old 09-09-2003, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone at or near Bay Hill / Dr. Philips / Southwest Orange County successfully gotten a decent OTA signal from the Bithlo/Christmas towers with an indoor antenna? I could get one channel (UPN) with a $10 RCA cheapo. I may try an amplified one next, but I think I'm too far away. I can't (yeah I know the FCC ruling) put up my outdoor antenna...borrowed/temporary house and all.

Rich
post #9 of 558 Old 09-09-2003, 11:52 AM
WGW

Up until a few weeks ago, I was getting 100% signal strength for the WRBW (UPN) digital signal on 41-1. Since then the signal strength has gradually faded until now I get no signal at all. I've not experienced degradation of signal for any of the other digital channels, and loss of signal is reported by both of my HDTV receivers (DST-3000 and MyHD). I'm located about 15 miles west of the Bithlo antenna farm. Anyone else experiencing this problem with the local UPN affiliate?
post #10 of 558 Old 09-09-2003, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I posted earlier in the summer thread that I lost CBS-HD signal in 2 out of 3 of my directv HD receivers. thanks to the replies, it was actually last Saturday's morning storm. It rotated my antenna by almost 45 degrees. If anybody else has had problems recently, check your antenna, as the last few T-storms had pretty nasty winds (if you have an outdoor OTA antenna).

Paul Seng
post #11 of 558 Old 09-09-2003, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

No problems with WRBW-DT here.

You also want to check any connectors, especially those outdoors. Wind could have weakened/loosen them or water could have gotten in.
post #12 of 558 Old 09-09-2003, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WGW
Up until a few weeks ago, I was getting 100% signal strength for the WRBW (UPN) digital signal on 41-1. Since then the signal strength has gradually faded until now I get no signal at all. I've not experienced degradation of signal for any of the other digital channels, and loss of signal is reported by both of my HDTV receivers (DST-3000 and MyHD). I'm located about 15 miles west of the Bithlo antenna farm. Anyone else experiencing this problem with the local UPN affiliate?
I just cheked and I'm at 89% (give or take) from the Lake/Orange line on SR50.
post #13 of 558 Old 09-09-2003, 07:44 PM

Is anyone else having problems with audio sync on WB18-HD?

Also has anyone else noticed that they're now broadcasting DD5.1 for the audio? I wonder if that has anything to do with the audio sync problems?

UPDATE: Looks like they switched over to the SD feed because of the sync problems. The audio is still in 5.1 though so there goes my original theory.
post #14 of 558 Old 09-09-2003, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WB 18 is beginning to put the needed hardware together to eventually provide DD 5.1 on WB network. Right now true 5.1 is a ways down the road since the net distributor GDMX first needs to start providing DD 5.1 to affiliates. Right now WB 18 is just simulating 5.1 from 2.0.

I don't currently notice any lip sync problems. Could be unique to network broadcasts or could be a config problem at your end.
post #15 of 558 Old 09-09-2003, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by satpro
WB 18 is beginning to put the needed hardware together to eventually provide DD 5.1 on WB network. Right now true 5.1 is a ways down the road since the net distributor GDMX first needs to start providing DD 5.1 to affiliates. Right now WB 18 is just simulating 5.1 from 2.0.
I figured as much because I didn't think that a rerun of Smallville would magically have a 5.1 soundtrack when it didn't originally.

Seems like they'll be taking the WFTV route and piping all sound regardless of origin through a 5.1 stream.

satpro, would you happen to know which WB shows will originate in 5.1 from the network this season?
post #16 of 558 Old 09-09-2003, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by satpro
I don't currently notice any lip sync problems. Could be unique to network broadcasts or could be a config problem at your end.
The sync problems were for the first 40 or so minutes of Smallville. It disappeared immediately after they went to the SD feed, so it wasn't a problem on my end.
post #17 of 558 Old 09-09-2003, 09:38 PM

REPOSTED from Summer 2003 Thread--

Hey all!

I'm moving to Winter Garden at the end of the month and I will be continuing to use BrightHouse as my cable and internet provider.

I have been very happy with our new PVR here and want to get a new one when I move. I am also upgrading to a new Sony WEGA 36" HDTV in a few weeks.

My question is what exactly will I be getting if I want a PVR that will also allow me to view the HD channels?

mybrighthouse.com has some vague verbage on what's up:

21. Will I be able to view High Definition (HD) programs and take advantage of the PVR's advanced recording features?

No. The Explorer 8000 PVR cannot record or display HD programming. To view HD programming using a PVR, an HD-capable digital cable terminal must be obtained and installed by Bright House Networks. The PVR will neither decode nor record high definition programming.

Can anyone with a HD PVR set me straight on how it all works? If it works!?

Thanks!

-Zampa
post #18 of 558 Old 09-09-2003, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Kid_Digital_NYC

So then the sync problem is unique to the HD feed on WB 18.
I doubt it has to do with the new 5.1 capability though since there was some sync problems on HD network presentations on WB 18 before the new changes.

Sorry, I am not sure which shows are currently mastered in 5.1 but I would assume Smallville and many others that will be HD this season are actually mastered in 5.1 even though due to technical constrants they are not distributed as such.
post #19 of 558 Old 09-09-2003, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Zampa - To my knowledge BHN does not yet have a HD PVR out, although they are supposedly testing several models. The only HD PVR that I am aware is out on the street is the Zenith HDR230 which is an OTA receiver/recorder. It looks like the cable and satellite HD PVRs are still a few months away, but I'd love BHN to prove me wrong.
post #20 of 558 Old 09-09-2003, 10:34 PM

Location: Ormond Beach (Daytona Beach suburb, Orlando viewing area)
Quote:
Originally posted by RichUF
Question for you Barry: What would you suggest to use to clean CRT lenses? I know I can search that forum, but I'd like to hear what you think. I split my 65" to move it (nerve racking!) and noticed the lenses are dirty, but was afraid to touch them. I'll have it split again next Spring and may try to clean them and have a look at the mirror.
Don't trust any cleaning rags that claim, 'won't leave any streaks." Any wet cloth will! I learned the hard way.

Even using a dry cloth, however, it makes a big difference cleaning all of that dust off the lenses. I was suprised at the improvement. It not only makes the picture a little clearer, but the dust also inflates the white levels, so your contrast and black level will be better after cleaning.

JD
post #21 of 558 Old 09-10-2003, 05:46 AM

So I wonder what "To view HD programming using a PVR, an HD-capable digital cable terminal must be obtained and installed by Bright House Networks." means...

Does that mean it CAN be viewed through a PVR, but with a 2nd box? Or does that mean BH just hasn't picked a HD-capable PVR yet?

Confusing...

I'm going to call and see if anyone can set me straight.

-Zampa
post #22 of 558 Old 09-10-2003, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Zampa,

The only person that has ever been able to "set me straight" with BHN is gmclaughlin, and he posts here quite a bit. I'm not saying don't try to get the info you need by calling a CSR, I'm just saying that in my experience (with them and directv for that matter) if your question is anything but basic/common in nature you'll likely stump them, and get frustrated in the process if you are at all like me (I'm working on that part :) ). I don't blame them as they are usually courteous and all, it's just that we are in a minority as far as understanding HDTV.

Good Luck,
Rich
post #23 of 558 Old 09-10-2003, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doctor52
Don't trust any cleaning rags that claim, 'won't leave any streaks." Any wet cloth will! I learned the hard way.

Even using a dry cloth, however, it makes a big difference cleaning all of that dust off the lenses. I was suprised at the improvement. It not only makes the picture a little clearer, but the dust also inflates the white levels, so your contrast and black level will be better after cleaning.
Doctor52,

Thanks so much for the advice. I've read/heard of a lot of the opinions and warnings...there are many of them. Barry has worked on my TV before and I trust his experience and wanted to know what he prefers. This just re-affirms that there is no one good opinion on the subject. I'm going to keep reading and take it all in and then decide if I want to give it a go.

Rich :)
post #24 of 558 Old 09-10-2003, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally posted by Zampa
So I wonder what "To view HD programming using a PVR, an HD-capable digital cable terminal must be obtained and installed by Bright House Networks." means...

Does that mean it CAN be viewed through a PVR, but with a 2nd box? Or does that mean BH just hasn't picked a HD-capable PVR yet?

Confusing...

I'm going to call and see if anyone can set me straight.

-Zampa
You will probably be more confused if you call one of their CSRs :)

It just means they don't yet have a HD PVR. In the above example they would give you two boxes, the 3100 HD box and the 8000 PVR box which can not record (or even tune for that matter) the HD stations. These are the two boxes I have. Clear as mud right?
post #25 of 558 Old 09-10-2003, 08:54 AM

Zampa,

It means that the PVR (the current Explorer 8000) will neither process, nor record, HD content. To have PVR for SD programming, and still be able to view HD programming, you'll need a separate HD box, connected to a different input on the TV. The coax coming into the boxes must be split and run individually to each box. The Component outputs of the HD box are run to the component inputs of the TV, and either the RF, Composite, or Svideo outputs of the PVR are run to the TV.

The issues involved are that with both boxes in the same proximity, there's a good chance that commands from the remote will go to both boxes, which can be a problem when ordering PPV or VOD (get charged twice). Some customers have made innovative solutions, such a blocking the IR receiver of one of the boxes when not in use.

The reason we don't deploy an HD PVR is that there isn't one available for deployment yet. An S/A version and a Pioneer version are in testing, and have been promised for availability in the 4th quarter. But we never believe those timeframe promises, so please don't count on it.

Hope that answers your questions. The sad part is that I think I wrote the original text in our FAQ's that you couldn't understand...

Greg
post #26 of 558 Old 09-10-2003, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gmclaughlin

Hope that answers your questions. The sad part is that I think I wrote the original text in our FAQ's that you couldn't understand... [/b]
Greg,

Thanks for the reply! Now I know what to ask for when I call the CSR's up. I can understand the level of expertise varies for them as I used to be a TSR for Dell and Gateway and there were a TON of coworkers that had no clue.

So I wonder if they will charge me extra to have the two boxes. I was currently paying the $6 extra a month for the PVR. I guess if the HD box is supposed to be no extra charge then my bill shouldn't be any higher to have 2 boxes.

We don't do any PPV or On-Demand movie watching. We are avid Netflix fans. :) So the whole "commands to both systems" shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again for the reply. Let us know when those HD PVR's are set to deploy. I'll be first in line. :)

-Zampa
post #27 of 558 Old 09-10-2003, 12:04 PM

I hate to break it to you, but if you want both boxes, you'll have to pay the additional fee ($8.44/mo before taxes) for having a second box. The HD box is no additional fee when it REPLACES an SD box, but in this case you'd have TWO boxes. There's a lot of reasons behind it, including some FCC box-lease fee regulations, but regardless, that's how the pricing works.

The ideal situation would be to deploy an HD-PVR, but until then, we're stuck with this. That's the main reason we're trying not to encourage the two box deal.

When the HD PVR arrives, I don't have any idea what the price will be, but it will be one box only.

Greg
post #28 of 558 Old 09-10-2003, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Major lipsink problems on WCKF last night during smallville. Looks like they were testing the new DD5.1 hardware and had some issues. WB is supposed to start broadcasting 5.1 sometime in the future.
post #29 of 558 Old 09-10-2003, 04:44 PM

:( bummer!

I was hoping you wouldn't say that! Well now I'm stuck. Do I choose HD or PVR. I have lived without HD for a long time and I'm sure my new TV will have a much better, bigger picture than I have now on my old Sony 20" so I guess I will just stick with the PVR until the HD-PVR rolls out. Until then I will constantly hound you and ask "Is it here yet?"

:)

-Zampa
post #30 of 558 Old 09-10-2003, 06:46 PM

Anyone else having audio issues with 41.1 (UPN)? I've been enduring dropouts during the show along with some video artifacting but the levels are at 90% and better. Anyone???
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception