Los Angeles, CA - TWC - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 81Likes

post #271 of 9143 Old 08-18-2004, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got my moxi today its great.. but i can figure out a few things. Like using both HD and SD so i can run my tivo too. The moto 6208 box allow both at the same time. This box seems to not have the feature. Interface is a ton better the moto 6208. not having DVI enable sucks. I dont use DVHS so i dont care as long as i can plug in a bigger Hard drive. 80 gigs is Weak... it need 250 gig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 9143 Old 08-18-2004, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
8 hours recording time in HD is not much.

Since I don't have the new box I can only dream. But my thought was to back down the channel lineup for Tivo to basic cable bypassing the cable box and eliminating the need for ir blasters. I would use Tivo to record the analog channels only; leaving moxi to record the digital and HD channels.

I don't understand the technical reasons but when I see the analog channels routed through the Moto HD cable box the PQ is not good. The PQ is improved when the signal is fed direct into the TV.
post #273 of 9143 Old 08-19-2004, 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by johnty
I finally had a 6200 installed yesterday and saw the first HD material in my Mt. Washington home. Pitiful. A few locals, HBO & SHO and that's it. No HDNet, INHD, Discovery, ESPN, etc. All of the HD channels break up with macro-pixelazation, both locals and satellite feeds. Pretty unwatchable.

Are others of you in the LA area having the same problem? Do any of their systems NOT have this problem? Is it the 6200? Who do I yell at next?

Thanks,

John Tyson

Yes, I am also getting heavy (and steadily getting worse) macro-pixelization in HD. I see it mostly on NBC and HBO, some on KCET. I have a Pioneer Elite 42" plasma. I hope it's the 6200 and not my Pioneer.........
I'll have to get a cable guy out here and kill a day trying to figure it out.

PS: The big A charging extra for ESPN-HD = Chicken S#*%t
post #274 of 9143 Old 08-20-2004, 09:36 AM

Has anyone received the "HD content display protection has been compromised" message? I received it once today and it has gone away. I called Adelphia and was told that they never heard of it before.
post #275 of 9143 Old 08-20-2004, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by GoFaassttt
Has anyone received the "HD content display protection has been compromised" message? I received it once today and it has gone away. I called Adelphia and was told that they never heard of it before.

I had that with firmware v 7.10 when using the DVI connection but works ok with v 7.15.
Jim
post #276 of 9143 Old 08-20-2004, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MoxiGuy
Adelphia is currently deploying the Motorola BMC9012. It has DVI out, but that feature is currently not enabled. We are planning to enable it in a future release.

MoxiGuy,
Do you have any time frame as to when the DVI port will be activated on the DVR units? I really want a DVR but want to keep the DVI.
Thanks,
Jim
post #277 of 9143 Old 08-20-2004, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Can't promise, but we expect it by end of year. If not, then early next year. I'll let you know as soon as we have a firm date.
post #278 of 9143 Old 08-20-2004, 11:48 AM

Moxi more than anything lets get the external harddrive drivers setup.. WE NEED more Space!!!
post #279 of 9143 Old 08-20-2004, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://www.adelphiasocal.com/pressroom.shtml

ADELPHIA CONTINUES PUBLIC AFFAIRS TRADITION WITH LAUNCH AND DISTRIBUTION OF 24-HOUR ALL POLITICAL NEWS CHANNEL FROM ABC...

ADELPHIA INTRODUCES STATE-OF-THE-ART
DVR SYSTEM FOR ORANGE COUNTY CUSTOMERS...

ADELPHIA INTRODUCES STATE-OF-THE-ART
DVR SYSTEM FOR VENTURA COUNTY CUSTOMERS...

ADELPHIA LAUNCHES NEW HIGH DEFINITION
TELEVISION PROGRAMMING IN ANTELOPE VALLEY...

ADELPHIA LAUNCHES NEW HIGH DEFINITION
TELEVISION PROGRAMMING IN INLAND EMPIRE...

JUST IN TIME FOR THE FALL SPORTS SEASON KICK OFF
ADELPHIA LAUNCHES ESPN HD...
post #280 of 9143 Old 08-20-2004, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

I wonder if they are still working on getting HDNet?
post #281 of 9143 Old 08-20-2004, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MoxiGuy
Can't promise, but we expect it by end of year. If not, then early next year. I'll let you know as soon as we have a firm date.

Thank you sir....

Jim
post #282 of 9143 Old 08-22-2004, 03:17 PM

My sister is moving to Fullerton, CA in less than two weeks and I am looking into her cable/internet needs. The adelphiasocal.com site is not very helpful in pricing. Also, when I plug in her new address, the site says the address cannot get service via their online utility.

I personally have DirecTV at home and am not familiar with cable HD. What she would like is to get the basic digital cable with whatever HDs she can get (i.e. the locals). Perhaps we can add HBO or SHO later. I see the Adelphia BronzePak listed at around $64 (including high-speed internet). I don't see an online utility to add the cost of HD programming to this package. How much extra is HD? Do you just pay a premium for the set top box and nothing extra for basic HD programming (i.e. locals)?

Also, do the premium channels work similiar on Adelphia as they do for DirecTV? If you subscribe to the HBO package, would you automatically get HBO-HD provided you have the HD set top box?

Thanks in advance,

- Ahsan
post #283 of 9143 Old 08-22-2004, 04:08 PM

Figure $49 for Basic Cable on top of any of the packages.
There is also a Digital Cable grouping that is addt'l, about another $12.50.

A Std STB is $3.85. HD STB is $9.95, so $6.00 more for HD.
post #284 of 9143 Old 08-22-2004, 04:28 PM

So one needs to pay about $49 for basic cable before getting the "BronzeAdvantagePak"? Is Basic Cable digital? What is the minimum package one can get to receive the free HD channels?

Thanks,

- Ahsan
post #285 of 9143 Old 08-22-2004, 05:17 PM

Wait a minute...you're telling me that Basic Cable starts at $49 out in California? Why would anyone choose cable over satellite out there? Too bad my sister will be living in an apartment. What a rip off!

- Ahsan
post #286 of 9143 Old 08-22-2004, 06:05 PM

the price of living in paradise.........
post #287 of 9143 Old 08-22-2004, 09:18 PM

I figure I'll post this here first and see how it goes.

In Sherman Oaks a friend of mine has basic cable (read a line fed signal - no box). Today he got a new hdtv (mitusbishi 62" 525 series) and I had the tv scan for new channels. Here's the part that I got stuck at. At one point it was searching for digital channels but I figured may as well cancel this. It had managed to add channel 79-2. This turned out to be KABC in digital (no HD broadcast in the middle of the day)!? I immidiately had the tv rescan for channels again hoping to find more digital signals. This time though it found none and 79-2 was no longer there (the channel when entered manually says 'no broadcast.'

So what the heck did I just encounter? For a moment there it looked like the digital channels were in fact being passed along in the basic range but now I cant find them. This TV does have a cable card slot (QAM support) but its not being used for this setup. Did I create some sort of glitch when I killed the search in the middle of detection? Anyone else come across this?

Sorry if this has been posted before, I didnt know what to search for.
post #288 of 9143 Old 08-23-2004, 02:29 AM

Here are all the unencrypted digital channels I found:

256QAM
79-1 ABC
81-1 NBC
81-2 GOLTV
83-1 IFC
83-2 BBCA
83-3 Fox Sports World
83-4 Toon Disney
83-5 STYLE
83-6 Soap
100-1 FOX 11
100-2 KCET
101-1 Oxygen
101-2 GoodlifeTV
101-3 Discovery Home
101-4 National Geographic
103-3 InDemand previews
106-1 MBC
110-1 KCBS
122-14 PPV Previews (tiny)

64qam
82-1 MTV2
82-2 NickToons
89-1 FOX Sports World
104-1 InDemand Previews
108-1 FITTV
post #289 of 9143 Old 08-24-2004, 12:02 PM

The Moxi boxes are now available on the Westside and Southbay areas of LA. Mine will be installed next week. I finally get to record HD. www.adelphiasocal.com has all the cities that are available listed under the DVR page.

octavian
post #290 of 9143 Old 08-24-2004, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is Moxi able to record all channels, not just HD? And would it replace my current HD box (the 6200)? Finally, what are the costs?

LSA One Monitors, LSA LCR Center, LSA On Wall surrounds, dual Hsu VTF-3 subs, Denon AVR-X4000, Adcom GFA-6000 amp, UTurn Orbit turntable
post #291 of 9143 Old 08-24-2004, 12:18 PM

Called Adelphia to see when the DCR will be available in Seal Beach, and was able to schedule an install for next week.

Business as usual with Adelphia-signed up for a "priority install" but still haven't heard from them. Lucky I read postings here about news releases.

I was told I would be getting a Moxi box with $2.95 charge a month over the HD box.

Gary E
post #292 of 9143 Old 08-24-2004, 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pg_rider
Is Moxi able to record all channels, not just HD? And would it replace my current HD box (the 6200)? Finally, what are the costs?

Moxi will record HD and SD. Plus it has 2 tuners built in so you can record one channel and watch another. It does replace your current 6200 (unless you need an extra HD box) and costs $12.95 insead of $9.95 for the 6200. At least this is the info for Redondo Beach.

The good:
Much better user interface.
2 tuners.

The bad:
80g hard drive. 10g/hr for HD; 1g/hr for SD.
DVI port not active till firmware update at end of year.

Here is a thread with a lot more info from a person that works for Moxi:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=412846

octavian
post #293 of 9143 Old 08-24-2004, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by octavian
80g hard drive. 10g/hr for HD; 1g/hr for SD.

No DVR can quote a precise ratio of time to hard drive space. If you look at ads for any of them, you'll find the words "up to" in the fine print. The reason we can't pin it down is that programs are digitized with different amounts of compression at the source. If you know the bit rate, you can do the math. But bit-rates vary. BTW: getting an hour of programming down to 1 gb would require extreme compression that would yield a lot of artifacts in most program material. Analog channels are digitized by Moxi, but at a much higher rate to preserve picture quality.
post #294 of 9143 Old 08-25-2004, 12:44 AM

Today was the big day. First on my block to get Adelphia's Moxi HD DVR!!!
I even took off work early to be here for the big event.

They showed up at 2:30 to install the Moto BMC 9012 Moxi, plugging into a Pioneer PRO-910HD 43" plasma.

The local area lead man showed up along with an installer that had some experience (he's been Beta testing at home for a couple of weeks on a 65" RP). It was the first customer install of this unit for both of them.

The install went fairly smooth, the boys knew their stuff pretty well and had me up and running in short order.

I had more than a few issues with the unit tho... and it appears most have been mentioned already in this thread, but I'll add my impressions.

1) When the 1080i option is selected it applies to all, Wide-screen and 4:3, which is a deal-breaker for me right off the bat. Yes, you can go into the Set-up/Video Options menu and reset to 480p/i to view 4:3 un-stretched, but that adds a certain PITA factor to the channel surfing experience to say the least. No thanks, I don't want my 4:3 stretched.
My current 6208 Moto HD STB is smart enough to figure out how to apply full-screen mode to wide-screen material and leave 4:3 alone. I can then apply full, zoom, w/s, cinema modes or leave it 4:3 as I choose.

2) Speaking of the menus, the fact that this is more a computer than a tuner is quite apparent as it takes forever to scroll (and I use that word lightly) thru the menu options and occasionally, no, frequently gets stuck. I'd say it takes a good 15 to 30 seconds for each click on a menu item to complete.

3) Remote - What to say here...? I guess a comparison will be best. You know how you can wave most remotes in the general direction of the intended target equipment, or even on a 90+ degree angle and it still works? Not so with this baby. Not only do you need to aim it directly at the box, it's real picky about the angle the box is sitting at compared to the beam from the remote. You had better have a clear and straight-on angle of attack, then move inside of 6ft. There, now you have a "remote".
***Hey, at least you're close enough to pull off that convenient little 2-button short-cut on the face of the box to change from 1080 to 480!!***

4) OK, how about the picture? It's pretty hard to screw up HD stuff, but on the SD material, the PQ was significantly impaired by this box, I mean A LOT worse. Focus was much softer, color muted. You know the Claritin commercial where they peel back the film layer and the world gets clearer? This thing is the before shot. (I know, if I had a DVR, I wouldn't have to watch those commercials...). We put the HD STB back to do a comparison because the installers insisted that there should be "no difference in PQ". All they could do was say wow and shake their heads after the old Moto HD was back in place.

Well, I'll suffer thru commercials and watching stuff as it airs for now.
I sent this POS back with the installers.

Randu
post #295 of 9143 Old 08-25-2004, 09:57 AM

Randu and Moxiguy and anyone else with info:

I am scheduled for a DVR install next week.

Based on Randu's post, I am ready to postpone the install until the issues of screen size and analog quality can be fixed.

Any suggestions/input?

Thanks
post #296 of 9143 Old 08-25-2004, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Randu
My current 6208 Moto HD STB is smart enough to figure out how to apply full-screen mode to wide-screen material and leave 4:3 alone. I can then apply full, zoom, w/s, cinema modes or leave it 4:3 as I choose.

I always had a question about this. I have my 6200 connected to my RCA DLP via DVI. I have the HD output set to 1080i, and the SD output set to 480p. Now, on the TV the HD channels look great and any SD content on them comes through in 4:3 as it should. But all the regular SD channels are automatically stretched to fill the whole screen!

Pressing the Format button on my TV has no effect on this. When I change the 6200 to output SD channels in 480i then they show up in 4:3 and again, pressing the Format button has no effect. This is also true for a component question.

Why is this? Is it something specific to my TV? It seems as though with a DVI or component connection the Stretch modes are defeated. Any thoughts?

LSA One Monitors, LSA LCR Center, LSA On Wall surrounds, dual Hsu VTF-3 subs, Denon AVR-X4000, Adcom GFA-6000 amp, UTurn Orbit turntable
post #297 of 9143 Old 08-25-2004, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greinstein
Based on Randu's post, I am ready to postpone the install until the issues of screen size and analog quality can be fixed.

Any suggestions/input?

greinstein,

I appreciate your asking... and I appreciate Randu's post. (In fact, you should know that it's getting wide circulation here to all the folks in a position to make a difference).

1. Stretching 4:3. We have a software update in the pipeline that doesn't stretch. It will automatically switch output resolutions to match the resolution of the incoming signal (Native Mode). We expect this before the end of the year. I've got Moxi at home, and while manual switching is less smooth than automatic switching, it's not a huge barrier for me. (But this is a subjective issue.) My advice: try it and see how it works for you.

2. Scrolling and menus. This one puzzles me a bit. We've seen occasional hiccups, but the behavior that Randu describes is not typical. For the most part people report that scrolling is very responsive. (We have a feature called Turbo Mode, where you hold down one of the arrows and the scrolling accelerates). Hypothesis: in the first hour, the system is very busy downloading the latest program info. That may be what caused the delays that Randu saw. Let the download settle in for an hour and then put it through its paces.

3. Remote. Not sure what the issue was. Maybe old batteries? I'm not seeing that problem at home. (added: After work I put this to the test at home... found the remote worked over very wide angles. I even stood next to the TV and bounced the IR off the back wall and had no problems.)

4. PQ. There are three types of program sources. HD, SD (digital), SD (analog). Most of the reports we get back (and posts on this forum) report great HD and SD (digital) picture quality. Analog PQ is an issue for all DVRs--because the DVR has to convert the signal to digital (encoded as MPEG2) in order to record it. You have to weigh the benefit of DVR functionality against the necessary analog-to-digital conversion. Some people choose to watch analog directly, by-passing the DVR. If they have a strong cable signal, they split their cable feed and use a direct connection to the TV antenna input. They switch TV inputs to watch analog. (You can't pause it, of course. But the PQ may be better.)

Bottom line: thousands of folks have Moxi at home and are very happy with it. I'd suggest you go ahead with your installation and make up your mind based on how it performs for you. Cable makes it pretty much a no-risk offer.

Please post your feedback when you have it. Thanks.

MoxiGuy
post #298 of 9143 Old 08-26-2004, 12:35 AM

pg_rider,
I don't know how to answer your question except to say I'm using components and it works for me. I haven't tried DVI yet because my Pioneer has HDMI ins, not DVI and I haven't ordered a DVI to HDMI cable yet.
I do know that as this technology has developed, each generation of TV has progressed a step at a time. It does seem that it might be inherent to your unit, or it could possibly be in the way your cable co has it programmed, I'd have them out & ask them. I remember when they installed my HD box, the guy left it set on 480p and my HD looked obviously bad, I went in and changed it to 1080i and everything worked fine.

MoxiGuy,
Thanks for your feedback.

The 4:3 fix is big, I'd be willing to give it another shot when that's done.

Remote - I asked the same question. They claimed brand new batteries, I took their word for it as everything was brand new, still in the original wrappers. Actually, the installer that had the Beta unit at home warned me as he handed me the remote that it was much more (less?) sensitive and I wasn't going to be able to point it in the general direction of the box like I was used to with the 6208.

As far as the scrolling, yes, there were instances where it was clearly needing to grab a fist-full of programming data to display, but even the simple functions like going to Set-up/Video Output took much longer than I expected. I was pretty frustrated by that time and maybe the poor remote function played some role in my take on this, but it definitely hung up at least 3 times while going thru the menus, we even discussed at the time how long it took for the Moxi to process even simple commands. You can see when the remote "pushes the button" on screen as there is a white flash around the border of the button, so I could tell when it received a command, and how long to took to perform.

PQ - Having a fairly high end plasma, I'll admit, I'm damned picky about PQ to begin with. I have definitely grown accustomed to a great picture, but I was shocked when I checked analog NBC for instance. Even the digital HBO/Showtime channels were very disappointing to me. I was amazed that the Adelphia guys thought that was normal, "it looks like that on my 65" rear projection too...". So I had them swap the 6208 back in, went back to the same channels, and then they saw the difference too, it is not slight.

Yes, I could split the signal and change inputs for analog, but not for all the digital cable channels, and they're just as bad IMO, plus, that's just another PITA factor anyway.

I spent a lot of time, energy and $ to have a fantastic picture, and I'm not going backward.

MoxiGuy, if your office is in SoCA, I'd be happy to have you over for a trial run. I'll even throw in the chips & salsa!

BTW, I'm curious, why did Time-Warner SoCA delay their roll-out of this unit? Did they try it out and decide it needed more work??

Randu
post #299 of 9143 Old 08-26-2004, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by greinstein

I am scheduled for a DVR install next week.

Any suggestions/input?

Thanks

I agree with MoxiGuy, give it a whirl. What have you got to loose except an hour or two?
Than you can tell us how it works for YOU!

Have Fun
post #300 of 9143 Old 08-26-2004, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://www.santapaulatimes.com/news/...customers.html

now enjoy an entirely new cable television experience that provides unprecedented choice, convenience, and control.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page