Los Angeles, CA - TWC - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 260Likes

post #361 of 9475 Old 09-23-2004, 01:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
dadndudes, thanks much for the info. I have 7.10. I have only seen that HD content message a couple times and then it goes away, so I don't know if I'm really having a problem or if the connection could be better. The connection is definitely through the DVI so I assume if I really had a problem with the firmware there would be no picture at all through the DVI. Anyway, I called Adelphia and of course got someone who had no idea what I was talking about ("You mean Dolby 5.1?" "You mean the picture is not 6.19?"). But at least she scheduled a technician to come with a new box. I may not need a new box but with a tech coming at least I can talk to someone who might understand. And maybe just maybe he'll have the new DVR with him too.

markt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 9475 Old 09-23-2004, 05:03 PM

Channel 1123 showed up in my channel lineup last night. It does not have an ID or any channel info though. Maybe a new HD channel? Hope... hope... hope...

octavian
post #363 of 9475 Old 09-25-2004, 10:10 AM

Call the Ontario office, they'll set you up. I had mine in two days after calling. Motorola box w/Firewire and DVI (haven't tested them yet) ABC NBC CBS KCET KTTV ESPN-HD HBO SHO
Cheers.

Fullscreen is an F-word
post #364 of 9475 Old 09-30-2004, 12:48 PM
bwb

I've had my DVR installed for a week now and I'm loving it. Being able to record HD material is fantastic. However, I am experiencing more sound level issues with this box then with my previous box. Not just programing vs. commercials, but occasionally fairly big differences between stations. I'm running my sound through a Yamaha 2400 via optical. Anybody else having this problem?

bwb
post #365 of 9475 Old 09-30-2004, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
yes audio levels are sometimes whacked with BMC9012 from Adelphia (eagle rock headend)

Yamaha htr5250 optic in
post #366 of 9475 Old 10-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bwb
...I am experiencing more sound level issues with this box then with my previous box...

I'll pass that feedback along to our developers. What was your previous box? Was it also delivering Doby Digital? With Moxi, when set to Dolby Digital, the digital channels can be noticeably quieter than the analog channels. The levels are currently set to the Dolby specifications, so this is the expected result.
post #367 of 9475 Old 10-01-2004, 02:41 PM

Am I the only person in so cal on adelphia having problems with the HD ABC channel? On the moxi, when that channel has any type of non-HD signal, I seem to get picture problems all the time...the picture jumps alot, bends alot (kind of like its trying to tune it)

My guess is that the box i'm using (moxi) may be having a hard time coverting whatever signal to 1080i output for my HD set. the problems only occur with what is obviously non-hd type programming, mostly during commercials...but last night during the presidential debates, it was unwatchable!
post #368 of 9475 Old 10-01-2004, 03:39 PM
bwb

Thanks Moxiguy.

My previous box was a Motorola 6200, and yes I did receive 5.1 whenever it was broadcast. I did have some sound level issue with the 6200, but they are significantly more pronounced with my "Moxi" box. The problems are intermittent so I'll have to keep an eye on whether or not 5.1 is a factor.

bwb

PS the sound levels are not analog vs digital, but HD (907) vs HD (904).
post #369 of 9475 Old 10-01-2004, 03:41 PM
bwb

Belsokar,

I'm not having any problems with KABC through either Moxi or OTA.

bwb
post #370 of 9475 Old 10-01-2004, 03:49 PM

Bwb

Seems that we are in Fullerton too, I have a question did you paying for the HDTV channels or is part of the service with the Moxi box. I have only HDCBS and HDShowtime and I don't know if the others channels came with the box.

Trade
post #371 of 9475 Old 10-01-2004, 04:23 PM
bwb

Trade,

I pay for the box ($9.95 for 6200 or $12.95 for Moxi DVR) and get HD channels for ABC, CBS, NBC, KCET. On top of that I pay an extra $1.50 for ESPNHD.

bwb
post #372 of 9475 Old 10-06-2004, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

October 6, 2004

Ventura County Star

http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs...233875,00.html
post #373 of 9475 Old 10-07-2004, 02:53 PM

Liked: 12
Hey all.

I contacted the Adelphia office main number and I was told that HDTV was not available in Sherman Oaks (91411 zip code). Anyone else talk to Adelphia from the east Valley and gotten a straight answer about this? I was looking into D* TV but if Adelphia is going to have it in my area soon then I can wait a bit.

"What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?"
post #374 of 9475 Old 10-07-2004, 02:59 PM

Sonnyboy -

I'm in the same boat in valley village 91607. Just waiting for them to roll out HDTV. We don't move in until early november and the last guy I talked to said late october, but you know how these cable folks are.

I was also considering directv but the hd-dvr is SO expensive 999 for the tivo one, and the LG OTA dvr is also really expensive. I have a motorola 6208 from Comcast where I live now and it SUCKS majorly. I'm hoping I can get a moxi box instead, see if that one is any better.

--Devoted Tivo Fan
Jason

Fix a man's PC once and he'll call you to fix it again every day. Teach a man to fix his own PC...
...and he'll call you to fix it again every day.
post #375 of 9475 Old 10-07-2004, 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jasonsirota
Sonnyboy -

I'm in the same boat in valley village 91607. Just waiting for them to roll out HDTV. We don't move in until early november and the last guy I talked to said late october, but you know how these cable folks are.

I was also considering directv but the hd-dvr is SO expensive 999 for the tivo one, and the LG OTA dvr is also really expensive. I have a motorola 6208 from Comcast where I live now and it SUCKS majorly. I'm hoping I can get a moxi box instead, see if that one is any better.

--Devoted Tivo Fan
Jason

Yeah, with Adelphia it's hard to say what to do. I know plenty of Adelphia customers who have had to switch to the dish because of the issue of availability. Now that Adelphia has officially announced that it's in our area, I sure wish they would have a better information for it. Frankly, I am only willing to give them till the end of this month before I look elsewhere. Too many past experiences with Adelphia are not making me very optimistic about this issue.

post #376 of 9475 Old 10-07-2004, 03:17 PM

For me there's really no good solution. I like the idea of the HDirecTivo but then I lose all my wonderful Home Media Options on the Tivo like streaming music and photos to my tv. No need to wire whole house audio anymore, it all comes out of the Tivo!

Fix a man's PC once and he'll call you to fix it again every day. Teach a man to fix his own PC...
post #377 of 9475 Old 10-07-2004, 04:47 PM

Hey Sonny and Jason,

I'm in Encino 91436 and I've had HD from Adelphia since March and it's been great. You're right about the cost of the Direct tv equipment, and there's also the hassle of installation and the need to have a sat box on every tv. The best thing about cable HD is that you get the broadcast network channels through the cable. Currently, Dtv doesn't give you the high def broadcast network channels; instead you have to put an old-style antenna on your roof which may or may not work. Living in the hills, I figured it wouldn't work. I've read that the satellite picture quality is better, but I can't see the difference (compared to a neighbor's). Overall, the cost and convenience makes it worth your while to wait for Adelphia. I also found that they were not overly inaccurate about their predictions about when they'd provide some new service (HD service, adding FOX HD, adding ESPN HD). Currently, I'm waiting for them to start DVR service via their Moxi box in my neighborhood, which they have been promising for a few weeks and which surprisingly will cost only $3 more per month.

markt
post #378 of 9475 Old 10-07-2004, 06:14 PM

When I talked to them on the phone they indicated when HD was rolled out it would be rolled with Moxi and Motorola as a choice so that's good news for markt.

I had DirecTV for years and only changed because my current building didn't allow me to put a dish on the roof. I didn't have an HDTV then but I'm so glad I did change because it allowed me to get inexpensive hdtv.

I'm jealous though because this years hdtv's have built in tuners and cable cards so a friend of mine actually get the hd channels from adelphia through the cable line WITHOUT any kind of digital box.

Jason

post #379 of 9475 Old 10-07-2004, 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by markt170
Hey Sonny and Jason,

I'm in Encino 91436 and I've had HD from Adelphia since March and it's been great. You're right about the cost of the Direct tv equipment, and there's also the hassle of installation and the need to have a sat box on every tv. The best thing about cable HD is that you get the broadcast network channels through the cable. Currently, Dtv doesn't give you the high def broadcast network channels; instead you have to put an old-style antenna on your roof which may or may not work. Living in the hills, I figured it wouldn't work. I've read that the satellite picture quality is better, but I can't see the difference (compared to a neighbor's). Overall, the cost and convenience makes it worth your while to wait for Adelphia. I also found that they were not overly inaccurate about their predictions about when they'd provide some new service (HD service, adding FOX HD, adding ESPN HD). Currently, I'm waiting for them to start DVR service via their Moxi box in my neighborhood, which they have been promising for a few weeks and which surprisingly will cost only $3 more per month.

See, but therein lies the problem. I live probably around a mile, maybe 2 miles tops away from you Mark, and you have had HDTV for 7 months- SEVEN MONTHS!!!! My friends with Time/Warner have had it for two years! I mean, how hard is it for Adelphia to service one of the most densely populated areas in the nation? Either they don't want the extra money OR they are incompetent. I think we know which one of those is the truth!

What this is coming down to for me is I am sick of dealing with Adelphia. They are bad. B - AAAAAAAA - D. They pretty much screwed me over for a long time with cable modem access and I only stuck with them because I had no other choice for broadband in my area. Well, for HDTV I actually have a choice. And although like everyone else I am loathe to pay the $$ for the gear, there is an added bonus that I will not be waiting for Adelphia to come through for me. They are completely unreliable in most every way that a cable company can be. Like I said, I'll wait a bit longer. But that's all.

post #380 of 9475 Old 10-08-2004, 01:12 AM

Give it 6 more months and they'll probably be owned by Time/Warner...
post #381 of 9475 Old 10-08-2004, 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by markt170
Hey Sonny and Jason,

I'm in Encino 91436 and I've had HD from Adelphia since March and it's been great. Currently, I'm waiting for them to start DVR service via their Moxi box in my neighborhood, which they have been promising for a few weeks and which surprisingly will cost only $3 more per month.

I am confusing about the Adelphia DVR service, I got 2 HDTV channels with Moxi box but the rest none, I ask to Adelphia Customer service and receive 3 different answers, 1) I need reset the box (I did not works), 2) I need a DVR to HDTV channels I told I am watching 2 HDTV channels, 3) I need a converter with the moxi box and I don't be supposed to see that channels because I am not paying for HDTV.

I think that DVR box comes with the HDTV channels because I can use it, I am paying $12 at month only to see Analog channels?

TRADE
post #382 of 9475 Old 10-08-2004, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

According to the Wall Street Journal, Comcast and Time Warner could be forced to compete against one another to yield a higher price for Adelphia.
post #383 of 9475 Old 10-08-2004, 11:26 AM

I heard comcast, but yes, since they declared bankruptcy, they're probably a bargain. Maybe we should pool our money and buy them? Just kidding, I'd rather die than own a cable company

press room with chapter 11 news

post #384 of 9475 Old 10-08-2004, 02:40 PM

It's not the first time I have heard rumour of Adelphia being bought out. But that doesn't really help solve my HDTV problem since it will still take forever to get HD in my area even if that happens! Just bought the new JVC D-ILA so I gotta take care of this.

Sigh- I guess it's gonna have to be D* TV. More money, more money... grumble grumble

post #385 of 9475 Old 10-08-2004, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you are able to pick up the local DT channels ota then look into renting the dbs and ota equipment from Voom. They have the best HD line up of all the dbs ops.

Once HD was available in my area from Adelphia I canceld Voom without any penalties. However the promo Voom is now offering requires a one year commitment which still isnt bad as long as you verify local ota DT reception before signing the year commitment.
post #386 of 9475 Old 10-13-2004, 02:56 PM

I e-mailed Adelphia-socal, asking why no KTTV, inhd and hdnet, despite news releases and just received this response:

Mr. Einstein,

We currently are built up for any more channels. We will be by February
or March next year. So we will get Fox and many more channels when we get
built to have them.

Thank you,
Adelphia
post #387 of 9475 Old 10-13-2004, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FYI next years budget does include HD lineup expansion however be advised not to hold Adelphia to these plans as they are subject to change.

Adelphia plans to add 10 more HD channels next year which may or may not include pay channels like Cinemax, satellite channels such as TNT or Discovery and hopefully locals KTLA (WB) or KCAL (Lakers).
post #388 of 9475 Old 10-13-2004, 04:17 PM

Really I don't think that Adelphia should be charging by few HD channels, I had a Moxi HD DVR but with so few channels and poor programing in them, I will not pay by this service $10 more.

TRADE
post #389 of 9475 Old 10-14-2004, 01:59 PM

I was complaining about the HDTV Channels and a Adelphia Customer representative told me that my Moxi include the HDTV channels also, and I must received all chanels that I have under my digital cable plan (in my case except HBO and ESPN).

Adelphia will send a technician to review my Moxi and fix that only receive CBS and Showtime HD channels.
I asked about have a second Moxi in my kids room and she said that it will cost $15 more, Adelphia charge more for a second box (digital, HDTV or DVR), well I think that paying $15 more could be better have a TIVO or REPLAY TV with a bigger Hard disk and record all the stuff that my Moxi can not store and I want put on DVD.

I know that I need pay for the DVR box and doesn't have 2 tuners or HDTV quality but making numbers a second Moxi will be more expensive that a suscription DVR.

TRADE
post #390 of 9475 Old 10-26-2004, 12:32 PM

Has anybody else noticed that the last couple of days the HBO-HD channel looks awful. Any motion in a scene and the picture breaks up really bad. This is not a signal problem, but seems like a bandwidth problem. Is Adelphia transcoding HBO to a lower bandwidth?

octavian
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception