Forum Jump: 
 260Likes

post #4591 of 9475 Old 11-01-2007, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good Bye Time Warner, Hello Direct TV!

After way too many empty promises from TWC I'm making the switch to Direct TV (I can get FIOS in my area but I don't want to wait another year for all the HD and Center Ice.)

I signed up with a Verizon bundle pack. I combined my phone, DSL and got Direct TV all in one bill. The discounts save me about $50 a month compared to three separate bills and I get at least 50 more HD channels plus Starz and Showtime (HBO too but I already had that) and NFL ticket for the rest of the season! I'll add the sports pack and Center Ice to get even more HD!!! Install is Sunday morning. I’m going to get a 750GB eSATA tomorrow so after a few days in service to make sure the HR20 is good to go, I’ll be ready to add the extra drive and get up to 165 hours HD on my DVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 9475 Old 11-01-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJW View Post

After way too many empty promises from TWC I'm making the switch to Direct TV

I'm thin thinking of doing the same. I signed up for Digital Phone back in early October, when my first install date came around it was canceled at the last minute, then the alternate install date was canceled at the last minute. So now I have an install date of November eighth. If they end up canceling again I will be saying the same. Congrats on your switch.
post #4593 of 9475 Old 11-01-2007, 05:52 PM

I'm soooo tempted....But the start up costs for two HR20s is too pricey for me to switch right now.

Quote:

After way too many empty promises from TWC I'm making the switch to Direct TV (I can get FIOS in my area but I don't want to wait another year for all the HD and Center Ice.)

I signed up with a Verizon bundle pack. I combined my phone, DSL and got Direct TV all in one bill. The discounts save me about $50 a month compared to three separate bills and I get at least 50 more HD channels plus Starz and Showtime (HBO too but I already had that) and NFL ticket for the rest of the season! I'll add the sports pack and Center Ice to get even more HD!!! Install is Sunday morning. I'm going to get a 750GB eSATA tomorrow so after a few days in service to make sure the HR20 is good to go, I'll be ready to add the extra drive and get up to 165 hours HD on my DVR.

post #4594 of 9475 Old 11-01-2007, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I signed up with a Verizon bundle pack. I combined my phone, DSL and got Direct TV all in one bill. The discounts save me about $50 a month compared to three separate bills and I get at least 50 more HD channels plus Starz and Showtime (HBO too but I already had that) and NFL ticket for the rest of the season! I'll add the sports pack and Center Ice to get even more HD!!! Install is Sunday morning. I’m going to get a 750GB eSATA tomorrow so after a few days in service to make sure the HR20 is good to go, I’ll be ready to add the extra drive and get up to 165 hours HD on my DVR.

I got the Sunday Ticket and Premier pack (4 months) and NASCAR for the rest of the season for what I was going to just get the HDDVR+ and HBO. Call back and get an agent to go over your sign up options. You may find some better choices. I too am getting a VeriZon discount because I have DSL. None of my incentives were disturbed, I just got a lot more for the next 4 months.

Also, I got the 2 HR-20s and an H-21 and the "Slimline" dish. So my start up hardware was $600+tax. Ouch. But TWC is gone! (Well almost, still have cable in my condo, use it for the kitchen TV and QAM tuning in the HDs.)

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #4595 of 9475 Old 11-02-2007, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
What happened to all the QAM channels? November 1 comes and just about everything other than the broadcast networks are gone. Is this a glitch, or is this a permanent change?
post #4596 of 9475 Old 11-02-2007, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post

What happened to all the QAM channels? November 1 comes and just about everything other than the broadcast networks are gone. Is this a glitch, or is this a permanent change?

Who knows, but many are gone.

post #4597 of 9475 Old 11-02-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmattoo View Post

I'm soooo tempted....But the start up costs for two HR20s is too pricey for me to switch right now.

thats my dilemma also...so sick and tired of TWC
post #4598 of 9475 Old 11-03-2007, 01:55 AM

TBS-HD seems to be gone on 417 from Eagle Rock head end for the last couple of days.Not that I've ever seen anything in true HD except for baseball but still...

We have clearance, Clarence.
post #4599 of 9475 Old 11-03-2007, 01:23 PM

I thought everything was gone too until I started channel surfing....now I have channel 2 KCBS-SD and channel 2-1 which is the new HD KCBS....channel 4 KNBC-SD and 4-1 KNBCHD....etc...they are all there just in a different area....I am guessing this took place at 3:00pm because it interrupted something I was recording and the recording stopped at 3:05pm on both my DVR's (one in the bedroom one in the living room)...the new change is smarter....the HD channels on QAM are now closer to the SD channels....
post #4600 of 9475 Old 11-03-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaindelon View Post

TBS-HD seems to be gone on 417 from Eagle Rock head end for the last couple of days.Not that I've ever seen anything in true HD except for baseball but still...

Mojo HD is also gone. WTF?
post #4601 of 9475 Old 11-03-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvset View Post

Mojo HD is also gone. WTF?

I still have both stations here in Westminster in the O.C.
post #4602 of 9475 Old 11-03-2007, 05:08 PM

i have everything still in Encino.
post #4603 of 9475 Old 11-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is TWC blacking out the Oregon-ASU game on ESPN right now because it is also on FSN? AT&T is currently blacking out ESPN and ESPN-HD because of the overlap, just wanted to see if they are correctly doing it or being overly paranoid again.

post #4604 of 9475 Old 11-03-2007, 08:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post

Is TWC blacking out the Oregon-ASU game on ESPN right now because it is also on FSN? AT&T is currently blacking out ESPN and ESPN-HD because of the overlap, just wanted to see if they are correctly doing it or being overly paranoid again.

it's correct.

The game is on ESPN for those who weren't scheduled to get it on FSN.

For the rest, the blackout.

Waiting for my 2012 upgrade...
post #4605 of 9475 Old 11-03-2007, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post

Here's hoping that they will get rid of all the digital channels and replace them with HD offerings. HD is the new Digital. I dunno how much bandwidth the Digital channels take, but surely there would be a good amount gained to offer many HD channels.

Another possibility is they turned TBS-HD on for free for baseball fans and in turning that "in the clear" off hit a glitch, although that's unlikely. Maybe they are simply rearranging the channel setup. I guess time will tell.

Rudy

There - in or at that place <Stand over there>
Their - of or relating to them <Their furniture>
They're - they are <They are so polite>
:)
post #4606 of 9475 Old 11-04-2007, 06:16 AM

so does anyone know on which HD channel will the Laker game be on? Thanks!
post #4607 of 9475 Old 11-04-2007, 09:26 AM

Did TWC recently add ESPN2HD, at the Newberry Park headend?
post #4608 of 9475 Old 11-05-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelmoxi View Post

Did TWC recently add ESPN2HD, at the Newberry Park headend?

I presume you mean Newbury Park - ESPN2HD has been here in Moorpark for quite some time now on 425.

Also, to answer some of the other points above:

1) MOJO HD and TBS HD are still here.

2) No obvious change to the QAM line-up in this area.
post #4609 of 9475 Old 11-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Do you have to subscribe to a particular tier to get TBS-HD? I have most of the tiers, plus HD DVR and HBO, but when I select 417, it says I don't subscribe. Should I call and get it fixed? I'd rather not waste my time if I need to add a tier to get it.
post #4610 of 9475 Old 11-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyG View Post

Here's hoping that they will get rid of all the digital channels and replace them with HD offerings. HD is the new Digital. I dunno how much bandwidth the Digital channels take, but surely there would be a good amount gained to offer many HD channels.

Another possibility is they turned TBS-HD on for free for baseball fans and in turning that "in the clear" off hit a glitch, although that's unlikely. Maybe they are simply rearranging the channel setup. I guess time will tell.

Rudy

They would be much better off dropping analog standard def channels, each analog channel takes up about 6 Mhz of bandwidth which is enough for 6 digital SD channels or two HD channels (this means you would have to drop 3 digital SD channels to add an HD channel, roughly speaking)
post #4611 of 9475 Old 11-05-2007, 04:37 PM

So...on Friday I decided to scan the channels on both of my Hd tv's...and guess what....I now have KTLA channel 5-1 HD on my cable that is off the cable box....it is a fantastic picture...gone are the pumpkin faces.....I can't wait to see Smallville and Supernatural in HD....the only down side is I have to watch them live because my HD DVR does offer the CW in HD yet....sigh...but still I am happy....also I get 417 for free....and I still have all my Qam channels....hope that helps....
post #4612 of 9475 Old 11-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone please let me know if you have to subscribe to something to get 417 TBS-HD???
post #4613 of 9475 Old 11-05-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggymama View Post

Anyone please let me know if you have to subscribe to something to get 417 TBS-HD???

I get 417 free...I do not subscribe to any extra HD channels...it just showed up last month...if it is any consulation it is not very good....but it is HD and "Free"...
post #4614 of 9475 Old 11-07-2007, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Video competition squeezes another cable giant as Time Warner Cable sees higher-than-expected customer defections and misses its third quarter profit target.

In the third quarter, Time Warner Cable says it saw its basic video subscriber numbers decrease by 83,000, with 66,000 of that decline coming from the Dallas and Los Angeles markets, where competition from rivals has heated up. Analysts and investors were expecting user losses of about 50,000.

Failure of cable companies to convert basic video customers into subscribers of multiple digital services like phone and Net access has been exposed as a big vulnerability as players duke it out with so-called triple play offers.

A good measure of how effective cable companies are at selling more services is the revenue generating units number. In the third quarter, Time Warner Cable added 522,000 RGUs, which is down sequentially from the 546,000 mark in the second quarter.

Strong promotion of high-definition programming by satellite broadcasters DirecTV and EchoStar along with the entry of phone companies like AT&T and Verizon in the video market has helped lure customers away from cable players like Comcast, Cablevisionand now Time Warner Cable.

The slowdown was reflected in Time Warner Cable's financials.

Time Warner Cable posted an adjusted profit of 25 cents a share on $4 billion in sales. Analysts were expecting pro forma earnings of 27 cents a share on $4.04 billion in revenue, according to Yahoo Finance.

Looking ahead, the company reaffirmed its 2007 sales target calling for about $16 billion in total revenue. That happens to be in-line with analysts' expectations.

We're planning for a strong finish this year, and we remain firmly on track to generate attractive free cash flow and achieve our ambitious operational goals for the year," CEO Glenn Britt said in a press release Wednesday.

Time Warner Cable shares rose 22 cents early Wednesday to $27.77.

http://www.thestreet.com/s/competiti...FREE&cm_ite=NA
post #4615 of 9475 Old 11-07-2007, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

What a surprise. I was on cable since 1981 and never really wanted to go to D* or any other, FiOS was on my mind but not arriving soon enough. It took TWC to push me to want to go and go now. Way to go and thanks, so far D* is more than I expected!

post #4616 of 9475 Old 11-07-2007, 10:19 AM

Well yesterday I went down to my local TW office, to replace my remote for my DCH3416, and I had a wait of TWO AND A HALF HOURS! suprised? I know I am last time I had to go in, when Adelphia was still around, I just waited 15 minutes. WHAT A JOKE!!
post #4617 of 9475 Old 11-07-2007, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I just signed up for FIOS, so bye bye TWC! The problem is I need to wait two weeks to get installed, as it needed to be a weekend.
post #4618 of 9475 Old 11-07-2007, 01:31 PM

Oh to have FIOS available in Sherman Oaks
post #4619 of 9475 Old 11-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Did a channel scan today and saw the total number of digital channels go from 446 to 451 so 5 new digital channels are either about to show up or have shown up. One of the 5 is the CW-HD that is already on. The other four are a mystery for now. If you see something new post it here of course. This is in West LA.

The QAM number for CW-HD is 121.204
Rudy

There - in or at that place <Stand over there>
Their - of or relating to them <Their furniture>
They're - they are <They are so polite>
:)
post #4620 of 9475 Old 11-08-2007, 01:24 AM

Quote:

The QAM number for CW-HD is 121.204

Thanks,i can get it on my LG dvr with clear quam but i get no signal on 405 with cablecard on my Sony dvr-strange.Btw what's with the dark blue pillar box color on KTLA?I never noticed that when i received it OTA.

We have clearance, Clarence.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception