259Likes

post #541 of 9474 Old 12-29-2004, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Eyecannon
I called twice and they tried to provision it, but the device wouldn't get an IP. I also tried messing with the triggers to get IP and whatnot, but nothing worked. So Adelphia is sending a tech out tomorrow.

That is fast service, here in North Orange we need wait more than 5 days to a tech visit.

TRADE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 9474 Old 12-29-2004, 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by trade
That is fast service, here in North Orange we need wait more than 5 days to a tech visit.

TRADE

Well, I'm on standby for tomorrow actually, so hopefully I will be lucky.
post #543 of 9474 Old 12-29-2004, 12:12 AM

Does anyone receive Discovery HD in Los Feliz/Hollywood Hills?I keep doing channel scans every couple of days but have yet to see it.Please post specific digital ch# if you do receive it.

We have clearance, Clarence.
post #544 of 9474 Old 12-29-2004, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Originally posted by alaindelon
Does anyone receive Discovery HD in Los Feliz/Hollywood Hills?I keep doing channel scans every couple of days but have yet to see it.Please post specific digital ch# if you do receive it.

I'm in Los Feliz and have had it since around the 15th (channel 930).
post #545 of 9474 Old 12-30-2004, 03:31 AM

bruce73,Do you have a way of finding out the specific digital channel#(ex.83-12 or 110-2)? The 930 is only the way Adelphia labels it and i have a Quam-tuner.For example KABC-DT is on 79-2 and KCBS-DT is on 110-1.

We have clearance, Clarence.
post #546 of 9474 Old 12-30-2004, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't, sorry. All I know is 930 from my digital cable box.

PS. Love the sig. Is that from "Airplane"?
post #547 of 9474 Old 12-30-2004, 12:37 PM

Has anyone in Santa Monica gotten CinemaxHD or DiscHD yet? I've seen thee 750mhz issue post above but had called CS twice and they both confirmed that yes, I should be getting those channels but they don't show up on my Moxi.
post #548 of 9474 Old 12-30-2004, 01:20 PM

i'm in ventura county, and haven't seen any of the new HD channels yet, not discoveryHD or cinemaxHD,...although to be honest, I'm not really that interested in either
post #549 of 9474 Old 12-30-2004, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by belsokar
i'm in ventura county, and haven't seen any of the new HD channels yet, not discoveryHD or cinemaxHD,...although to be honest, I'm not really that interested in either

We don't have them either but I'll take any extra channels I can get at this point. I had one CS rep tell me we cannot get em but I called back two days later and another said we should be getting them but had no idea why we are not getting them. After getting cut off and two other failed calls I gave up and figured they are like Fox-HD and will show up one of these days. Sorry customer service.........

Jim
post #550 of 9474 Old 12-31-2004, 12:11 PM

check out the santa monica channel line up.. discovery HD and cinemax HD are no longer there http://www.adelphiasocal.com/LocalOf...-2400-SM.shtml
post #551 of 9474 Old 12-31-2004, 02:04 PM

Were they ever?
post #552 of 9474 Old 12-31-2004, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Cable Operators Prepare for Switch to All-Digital Systems
Comcast, Charter, Adelphia & Other MSOs Gear Up for Digital Simulcast Trials

JANUARY 01, 2005

By Alan Breznick, editor, Cable Digital News
http://www.cabledatacomnews.com/jan05/jan05-2.html

As the new year opens, the cable industry finally seems poised to start making its much-ballyhooed shift to an all-digital format for its core video product.

Six months after Charter Communications launched the nation's first all-digital cable system with a big splash in Long Beach, CA, many large cable operators are quietly drawing up plans for similar digital simulcast field trials and deployments in their territories. MSO executives and tech vendors say they expect to see a flurry of such trials and initial deployments in 2005 and 2006 as cable operators seek to move more and more of their customers away from analog broadcasts and set-top boxes.

"Now they're practically all gearing up for trials," said Seth Kenvin, vice president of strategic marketing for BigBand Networks, a tech vendor working with many cable operators on the digital transition. "Some operators are laying out a time frame now and placing orders... I think this is going to be a major wave for two to three years."

Indeed, several large MSOs have already tipped their hats. In December, Comcast Corp. unveiled ambitious plans to launch digital simulcasts of its analog channel lineups in most of its systems by the end of 2005. Speaking at two separate financial analyst conferences in New York last month, senior Comcast executives outlined their strategy for carrying out the digital transition.

"Now, what we're doing is we are already beginning to put the simulcast signals on to our systems," said David Fellows, chief technology officer (CTO) of Comcast. "And over the course of 2005, we will bring that up across our entire footprint."

In somewhat less bold fashion, Adelphia indicated last month that it's also gearing up to introduce digital simulcasts in several of its systems as early as the first quarter. The MSO disclosed its plans in a Dec. 15 meeting with FCC officials in Washington.

"We're definitely looking at it," said Doug Ike, vice president of advanced video engineering for Adelphia. "We're looking at candidate markets."

Such other large cable operators as Cox Communications, Cablevision Systems, Insight Communications and Bright House Networks are not making their plans just yet, at least not publicly. But they're closely monitoring the landscape.

"We know it's being tested in various places around the country," said a spokeswoman for Bright House. "We're watching that. We're going to keep track of what's happening."

The push towards all-digital systems comes as Charter continues to report positive results with its Long Beach pilot. Charter, which started digital simulcasts in the 75,000-subscriber system in early July, has been delivering its 91-channel basic cable lineup in both digital and analog formats with few technical or operational hitches.

"It's been a surprisingly easy transition after all," said Wendy Rasmussen, vice president and general manager of Charter's Los Angeles metro markets division. "It was not onerous at all to our customer base."

With 70% of Charter's Long Beach subscribers now opting for digital, Rasmussen said the all-digital move has produced better picture and sound quality for the bulk of the MSO's subscribers, raising their satisfaction levels, cutting churn rates and bolstering the system's competitive position against satellite TV providers. She said the switch has also improved the company's relationship with the city and boosted employee morale.

"There have been some good, tangible benefits," she said. "We're very pleased with the results so far. Internally, I'd definitely deem this a success."

Satisfied with Long Beach's initial success, Charter executives are now looking at ways to offer more digital offerings. Among other things, they're weighing Hispanic and broader foreign-language tiers, particularly aimed at the local Asian-American community.

Charter officials declined to say where they'll try digital simulcasts next. But, without saying so explicitly, they made it clear that they will expand the pilot and extend the simulcasts to more markets.

"That's the future," said a Charter spokesman. "Digital simultrans and all-digital are in Charter's plans."

Taking their cue from Charter, other large cable operators are plunging into the digital simulcast business too. As noted before, Comcast, seeing simulcasts as the first step towards true all-digital systems, is leading the pack.

In a move to spur its digital transition, Comcast notched a 20-year, $100 million deal with Level 3 Communications for inner-city and metro dark fiber early last month. The fiber backbone deal, encompassing the lease of 19,000 route miles reaching 95% of Comcast's cable systems, will give the MSO much greater capacity for the delivery of all-digital services, including video-on-demand (VOD) and high-definition TV (HDTV).

"We are in the process of connecting or lighting up that fiber," Fellows told financial analysts in New York last month. "We have already lit up the Boston to Washington, D.C. corridor and are passing packets over that section of the network."

Like Charter, Comcast will keep its 80-channel or so analog lineup intact for its non-digital subscribers as it begins its transition to all-digital systems. So the MSO, while taking care not to lose any of its analog customers, will use up precious bandwidth transmitting the 80 channels in both analog and digital format.

Despite the loss of bandwidth from such duplication, Fellows argued, the digital simulcasts will produce "some significant near-term benefits" for Comcast. First of all, he said, the switch will provide the MSO's digital subscribers with "higher quality pictures" because they won't be getting any analog signals anymore. This is especially important for customers with large-screen digital TVs, a group that spends heavily on video services and is quick to notice analog imperfections on their big-screen sets. MSOs are particularly concerned that these high-value customers could be enticed to switch to competing all-digital satellite TV services.

Second, Fellows said, the switch will enable Comcast to offer VOD more widely, including its free, ad-supported on-demand product. In addition, he said, moving at least some customers to all-digital service will allow Comcast to cut the cost of its digital set-top boxes because the new set-tops won't require expensive analog circuitry. Finally, he contended that the shift will permit Comcast to create more specialized and low-end tiers to attract cable subscribers, just as Charter is aiming to do.

"We're not forcing our customers to go digital," Fellows said. "I'm going to give [Comcast COO] Dave Watson the opportunity to incent customers, to get them to realize they really do want digital and not just analog HBO, but all of the on-demand that comes with being even a basic digital subscriber."

Over the longer term, Fellows definitely sees the move opening up more bandwidth for Comcast. He estimates that the MSO could "triple the capacity of our hybrid fiber coax network" once it recaptures all the bandwidth used by the 80 analog channels.

"Once we have the digital signals up there, we can begin to take back the analog signals," he said. "I don't think we're going to take them all back in the near-term. But every time we take one analog signal back, we can offer 12 channels in its place in standard-definition, three channels in its place in high-definition."

Fellows figures that it will take about $150 million for Comcast to bring its infrastructure up to snuff for the digital simulcasts this year. Calling it "a modest investment," he said most of that money will be spent on digital ad insertion and encoding equipment.

As for the new, cheaper digital set-top boxes that Comcast and other cable operators envision, Fellows believes the costs could come down to $50 per set-top or lower in a few years. Currently, Comcast executives said, low-end digital-only set-tops cost around $70 to $75 apiece. This is about $50 less than the cost of today's low-end hybrid analog-digital boxes. In hybrid set-tops with digital video recorders (DVR), going all-digital could drop the box cost by as much as $100.

"Actually taking the analog circuitry out of one of our digital set-tops saves an awful lot of money," Fellows said. "It's another step towards getting that sub-$100, maybe even $50 set-top box."

At Adelphia, executives are studying their fully upgraded 750-MHz systems to see where they have enough capacity to carry the same channels in both analog and digital format. They're also testing digital encoders, splicers and multiplexers to see how to make the digital simulcasts work. "Certainly, we need to look for a cost-effective way to do digital programming insertions," Ike said.

Adelphia and other MSOs are keen on solving this challenge because local cable advertising is a $5 billion and growing annual business in the U.S. alone. Once a cable system moves to digital simulcasts, local TV commercials must be inserted and delivered in both analog and digital formats.

In addition, Adelphia officials are weighing the costs of low-end digital set-tops. Like their counterparts at Comcast, they're seeking boxes with price tags of $50 or lower.

"We're still looking for the mysterious $30 set-top box or at least $50 on the low-end," Ike said. "There's a lot of discussion with the set-top box folks about what we need that set-top box to do."
post #553 of 9474 Old 12-31-2004, 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Scotes
Were they ever?

Yes. If you went to www.socaladelphia.net and entered ZIP's for "any" LA area, it listed DiscoveryHD and CinimaxHD. Last week they removed the channels from lineup. They even removed the channels from places that receive them like Manhattan Beach.

What's even funnier is that I had the channels with guide info on my Moxi (no signal of course). And they removed those from the Moxi last week. My uncle lives less than 5 miles away in Manhattan Beach and both new channels look great on his TV. Yet they can't seem to get them into my house.

octavian
post #554 of 9474 Old 12-31-2004, 07:04 PM

i am down in san diego and know that adelphia down here leases or sales a Motorola High-Definition Cable Receiver DCT6200 to receive hd signals via their cable. has anyone gone out to the store and bought this receiver and tried using it with their adelphia cable? adelphia's price is $250 and i am sure i could get it cheaper elsewhere, but i am not sure if motorola did anything to the ones adelphia sells to make it proprietary...

any thoughts would be helpful..

thanks

i strive to figure out what the heck i am doing
post #555 of 9474 Old 01-01-2005, 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Scotes
Were they ever?

Yes they where on there, and they have been taken off the list (discovery HD and Cinemax hd)
post #556 of 9474 Old 01-01-2005, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I can still go into the Moxi menu and search for a shows air times and it shows Discovery-HD and Max-HD along with the normal channels but you can't access the HD versions.

I'd like to see them add KTLA-HD to our local channels also.

Jim
post #557 of 9474 Old 01-01-2005, 11:55 AM

Hey there Poison,
How long have you had your Moxie box?

I have been calling and calling to see if it is available and for many months they kept saying, it should be here by the end of the month. FINALLY I called last week and they signed me up for an install Wednesday morning... I'm pretty psyched... What is your opinion on how it is working.. I can be patient with working out the kinks because I've been waiting for a DVR for so dang long anything will make me happy... err.. unless it just freezes up all the time....

-D
post #558 of 9474 Old 01-01-2005, 04:48 PM
bwb

Right in the middle of the Rose Bowl my Moxi box rebooted for no apparent reason (missed 1st Michigan touchdown - thank God for OTA back-up and instant replay) Did this happen to anybody else? Why would the box reboot?

bwb
post #559 of 9474 Old 01-02-2005, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mwofsd
has anyone gone out to the store and bought this receiver and tried using it with their adelphia cable?

Digital cable recievers are designed so that they need to be specifically recognized by the local cable system before they will decode digital channels. They are not generally available through retail outlets, but are sold directly to the cable operators by Motorola. The encoding and decoding is known as "conditional access" and has been designed so that cable operators can reliably ensure that you get only the package of programming that you are paying for.

BTW: There is a new class of consumer devices with embedded digital cable receivers built in. but these can only be activated with a CableCARD that you must obtain from your local cable company. In the case of these devices, the authorization is handled through the CableCARD.
post #560 of 9474 Old 01-02-2005, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
December 30, 2004
STATE OF THE ART
By DAVID POGUE
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/30/te...rint&position=

WHAT if I told you about a new product that could improve your TV picture, eliminate one of your remote controls, simplify your home-theater setup and save you money every month?

And then what if I told you that your local distributor wished, in its heart of hearts, that nobody even knew about it?

The brilliant invention really exists. It's the CableCard, a small metal card (a so-called PC card, actually, like the ones designed for laptops) that slides into a slot on the back of many new high-definition TV sets from nearly every manufacturer. The CableCard's simple mission is to eliminate your cable box. The card stores all the account information that used to be monitored by the box, like descramblers for your movie channels - a bit of circuitry miniaturization that's about 15 years overdue.

Life without a cable box is blissfully simple. The cable-TV cable from the wall plugs directly into the TV. You change channels using the TV's own remote control. (Both the box and its remote go back to the mother ship. Incidentally, getting rid of the box makes an especially big difference when it comes to smaller screens, like kitchen-counter TV's.)

Losing the box frees up one power outlet on your wall, one valuable input on the TV and one component's worth of space in your equipment rack or wall unit.

Furthermore, if you ever move, you won't have to learn how to use a new cable company's box. You'll operate the same TV using the same remote in the same way.

Eliminating a detour through the cable box also spares your video signal an analog-to-digital conversion or two. As a result, the picture may be noticeably clearer and sharper (depending on which box you had and how it was wired to your system).

On top of all these advantages, it costs a lot less to rent a CableCard than a cable box. For example, the monthly CableCard fee is $1.25 at Cablevision, $1.50 at Adelphia and $1.75 at Time Warner, as compared with $4 to $7 a month for a cable box. (Your cable programming package costs the same. This parenthetical remark is provided for the benefit of the customer who, according to a cable-industry spokesman, bought a CableCard TV last week because she thought it would provide her with free cable TV.)

Could all this be true? Is it really possible that the government, cable companies and TV makers all sat down one day and cheerfully agreed to a new, advanced standard designed to save you money and simplify your life?

Don't be silly.

As it turns out, hammering out the CableCard standard wasn't especially quick or amicable.

In fact, it took years. What everyone wanted was a technology that duplicated every feature of today's digital cable box. But the cable companies and the set makers first had to learn to work with and trust each other, and meanwhile an F.C.C. deadline was looming. So what emerged at the end of Round 1 was only a partial solution: a one-way CableCard.

In other words, today's CableCard can't send information back to the cable company from your television set, a loss that has several ramifications.

First, you no longer receive the cable company's onscreen TV guide. Of course, most CableCard TV sets (marketed as "Digital Cable Ready") have their own built-in channel guides, and so do hard-drive recorders like the TiVo.

Second, you lose the ability to order pay-per-view movies with your remote control. You have to order them using your cable company's Web site or by calling its toll-free number.

Third, today's CableCard can't handle video-on-demand services. (They're like pay-per-view movies, except that you can start a movie whenever you like, and even pause it while it plays.)

Now, you may not particularly care about losing these features. Plenty of people, perfectly content with sources like HBO, Blockbuster and Netflix, have never ordered a movie through the cable box and never will.

But there are people who care deeply about pay-per-view and video-on-demand services: the cable companies. They've spent years and millions of dollars cultivating these services, some of which satellite services can't match. To the cable companies, the one-way CableCard represents not only a huge new headache (involving billing, inventory, business development, customer service, installer training and so on), but also a potential kick in the spreadsheet.

So if you're interested in the CableCard at this early stage, you may have to take on a relentless "60 Minutes" persona. All cable companies offer the CableCard, but few promote it, and the front-line operators may not even know what you're talking about. Last week, for example, Cablevision mailed a brochure to its customers listing the price increases for 2005 and describing its latest services, with nary a word about the CableCard.

In fact, you may get the distinct impression that the cable companies are trying to talk you out of a CableCard. At a Web site for Time Warner Cable, a Frequently Asked Question about CableCard televisions (also called Digital Cable Ready sets) reads; "Q: Why should I get one? What are its advantages over a set-top box? A: A Digital Cable Ready television may not be for you. If you want to take advantage of Time Warner Cable's interactive services, such as iControl or our Interactive Program Guide, then you want the expanded features of a digital set-top box." (Um - those are advantages?)

Eventually, all this caginess will evaporate, as soon as the industry settles on a standard for two-way CableCards. By most estimates, however, two-way CableCards are at least two years away. Meanwhile - listen up, pay-per-view patrons - the two-way CableCard won't work in today's CableCard-equipped TV sets.

Before kissing your cable box goodbye forever, there's one final consideration: TV-set compatibility. At this early stage, different TV makers have designed their CableCard slots with different degrees of gracefulness.

I learned this fact from the knowledgeable Cablevision installer who put CableCards into my two testing sets: Panasonic's gorgeous Viera TH-42PX25U/P, a 42-inch plasma, and Sharp's 45-inch Aquos LC-45GX6U. (You can't install a CableCard yourself. A cable-company technician must do the job, which includes programming the card to work only with your specific TV set in your specific location, all part of an elaborate registration process that makes these cards a lot more difficult to hack than either cable boxes or satellite security cards. The installation charge is usually around $40 or $50, although it's free from Time Warner.)

The Panasonic Viera worked flawlessly with the CableCard; using the TV's own sleek remote to change channels, rather than an ugly cable-box remote, feels infinitely more natural and obvious. (Changing channels takes about the same amount of time.) The cable guy reported similar good luck with Panasonic sets across its CableCard line (and recommended Sony's sets, too).

The Sharp Aquos wasn't quite as accommodating. For some goofy technical reason, the Sharp set treated analog and digital channels differently once the CableCard was installed. So if you have Cablevision (a company whose channels aren't yet all digital), for example, you have to switch video inputs on the remote whenever you want to view a channel higher than 84. Yuck.

If you use, or think you might someday use, video-on-demand and similar interactive features, don't invest in the CableCard until the two-way version arrives in 2006 or whenever.

But otherwise, if Santa brought you a Digital Cable Ready set - meaning one with a CableCard slot - becoming an early adopter of this promising technology means lower monthly fees, fewer wires and remotes, and maybe even a slightly sharper picture. Those are gifts of an especially rare sort: the kind that simplifies your technological life instead of complicating it.

David Pogue's video companion will return next week. He can be reached via e-mail at Pogue@nytimes.com
post #561 of 9474 Old 01-02-2005, 06:58 PM

^^^ I called Adelphia about getting a cable card, but was thrown off when they told me it would cost $25 for a tech to come out and "install" it. Is there really anything they would have to do besides plug it into the slot??
post #562 of 9474 Old 01-02-2005, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
^^^ I called Adelphia about getting a cable card, but was thrown off when they told me it would cost $25 for a tech to come out and "install" it. Is there really anything they would have to do besides plug it into the slot??

Yes, take your money.

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Representing VIZIO, DVDO,
Luxury Technology Show,
Kimber Kable, Krell
post #563 of 9474 Old 01-02-2005, 10:15 PM

They wanted $25 to install my moxi box this week when I made the appointment. I said, "Ouch really?.. pause.... is there anyway around that" CS rep said, let me talk to a supervisor..... Done... :-D Never hurts to ask....
post #564 of 9474 Old 01-03-2005, 12:46 AM

Quote:

I suggest that call again. maybe they believed that you are a new customer, because I made that my techie visit twice to bring the HDTV cable box and never ask that I pay the visit.

In the case of the Moxi, why pay for the installation if this is another service (DVR more than cable box)?

About the 6200 box, this is available by request, usually is the most recent Motorola box, the old one is the 5100, so I demand that box to my DVI input TV.

TRADE
post #565 of 9474 Old 01-03-2005, 07:40 AM

Pogue listed things you can't do with cableCARD (PPV purchase, VOD). He left out... run a cable DVR
post #566 of 9474 Old 01-03-2005, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by belsokar

Got DiscoveryHD in Moorpark sometime last week. Don't subscribe to Cinemax, but I'd guess it's on here as well.

- Rick -
post #567 of 9474 Old 01-03-2005, 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by trade
I suggest that call again. maybe they believed that you are a new customer, because I made that my techie visit twice to bring the HDTV cable box and never ask that I pay the visit.

In the case of the Moxi, why pay for the installation if this is another service (DVR more than cable box)?

About the 6200 box, this is available by request, usually is the most recent Motorola box, the old one is the 5100, so I demand that box to my DVI input TV.

TRADE

They are coming to swap my Moxi on Thursday, so I ask the lady if they can install the Cable Card for free since they will be there anyway, and she said YES. Then, I am transferred to someone else who tells me that it will require a seperate visit and I must pay $25.
post #568 of 9474 Old 01-04-2005, 01:04 PM

Quote:

Got DiscoveryHD in Moorpark sometime last week.

Don't see it yet in Thousand Oaks, though.

I second the KTLA-HD request, too.

Would have been nice to see the Rose Parade in HD without all of the commercial interruptions.
post #569 of 9474 Old 01-04-2005, 03:24 PM

Anyone have an ETA on when the DVI port is going to be enabled on the Moxi?
post #570 of 9474 Old 01-04-2005, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by apao
Anyone have an ETA on when the DVI port is going to be enabled on the Moxi?

AFAIK, it will be part of the 3.2 upgrade coming late February/early March. See more here.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page