Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by mojomk
Are you saying there is no DVI output?

I don't think the units Adelphia is using has the DVI output, but I can't be sure. However, even if they do have them, they have yet to be activated and are listed as "for future use".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 9154 Old 10-15-2003, 04:17 PM

Yes. Fullerton near Brea Blvd. and Bastanchury.

Unfortunately, no DVI - just empty spot where owners manual says it would normally be...
post #33 of 9154 Old 10-17-2003, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

I don't suppose anyone can compare Adelphia's HD to DirecTV HD or DISH HD yet?

My biggest worry is that if I get it I will be disappointed when comparing it to watching several Monday Night Football games at a friend's house (OTA HD).

I just hope the compression artifacts are not that bad.

Two complaints with that Motorola STB they are using:

1) It's got three tuners, but only one for TV (makes PVR more difficult).
2) No DVI.

Does Adelphia still have 'banner ads' when switching channels?
post #34 of 9154 Old 10-19-2003, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
HDTV SET-TOP PRODUCT INFORMATION

http://www.adelphiasocal.com/hdtv/hdtv_set-top.shtml

* Interactive services, DVI interface, USB connectors, Ethernet port, Smart Card slot, integrated DOCSIS cable modem are all features that will not be active or working at time of purchase. These features were intended for future use.
post #35 of 9154 Old 10-20-2003, 12:48 AM

I got off the phone a couple hours ago with someone from Adelphia. The 1st time I called the person said HD should be available in Nov or Dec. I think they just made that up but anyways, I know better then to just talk to one person so I call again and what do you know. ITS AVAILABLE IN ANAHEIM!!! So... Im on hold for a very long time and the lady on the phone says that the schedule for installation is full and that the department will call me tomorrow and if they do not call to schedule an appointment I have her ext. #. I will let everyone know how it goes.
post #36 of 9154 Old 10-20-2003, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

I talked to Adelphia last night after receiving a couple mailings from them. It seems that HDTV is available in Seal Beach now and I was pretty excited about it - until I started reading their new cable prices. They have gone up pretty substantially. My package went up $20 - and thats before adding the HDTV equipment. The main reason I keep them around is because I like their internet service and I haven't had that many problems with them in general. Anyway, this may be the straw... to be continued.
post #37 of 9154 Old 10-20-2003, 08:26 PM

I live in Glendora which I understand is one of the area for HD roll-out for adelphia. I talked to a tech and he said it is available. When I went to the office, they tell me it is not. What gives?

Needless to say, I canceled my cable service. Got a Samsung SIR-T165 on ebay for $370, installed a silver sensor in my attic, and received all the DTV/HDTV OTA in L.A. area. I'm a happy camper. NFL over the weekend on CBS-HD was amazing on my Samsung HLN567 DLP.

I do like Powerlink from adelphia with the 3MB d/l, however, so I'm keeping that. Now if I can find a better broadband deal, I'll rid of adelphia, forever, hehehe [evil grin].
post #38 of 9154 Old 10-21-2003, 09:16 PM

I had to call Adelphia back since they did not return my call. After talking to a supervisor who schedules the techs to come sent up, he personally took care of the situation. So, they should come out this Friday, 24th between 1-3..... For some crazy reason, I feel a no-show (knock on wood), but I'll update on then and see if Anaheim "Officially" has HD.
post #39 of 9154 Old 10-21-2003, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

GOT HDTV today in Hermosa Beach.

Called 2 weeks ago and they said it would be 3-6 months. Called on Friday regarding something else but asked again about HD and BADA BOOM BADA BING... they suddenly had it. Whatever.

NOT ENOUGH CHANNELS. I'd say that everyone should barrage them w/emails so we could get more channels- actually, the HD basics- but it sounds as if I'm lucky to have anything at all. Guess running a company from jail makes it difficult to keep standards up.

I have to say, I moved here from somewhere else (who didn't?) and have realized I've become spoiled- Hello!?! I live in LA. I'm supposed to get things FIRST, not some rube in Tennessee (and I can say that b/c I'm from there)

About installation:

The tech was nice but kind of clueless.

Didn't know when we'd be getting any other channels.

Looked at me blankly when I said the word "inputs"... not a good sign.

Luckily, things went smoothly, overall.

However, didn't leave instructions on how to change 480/720/1080 (said didn't have any- they "wouldn't give me any at the meeting today") and I have forgotten his "it's easier to do from the box than the remote" instructions, so I'm going to have to look it up like that other guy did. Tech said it was easy but I've pressed all buttons I feel safe pressing, and the screen hasn't come up yet. Hmmmmm... Guide change IS awesome- way faster.

Gonna go watch Leno and his big *ss chin in HD.

A-

"Quote."
post #40 of 9154 Old 10-22-2003, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member

Watching Leno.

CBS WHERE ARE YOU?

"Quote."
post #41 of 9154 Old 10-22-2003, 12:28 PM

I jinxed myself, well, Its just my luck. They called and left a message appologizing that they will not be coming this Friday because "HDTV is not yet available in Anaheim", but im "on file"..... I knew it was too good to be true.
post #42 of 9154 Old 10-23-2003, 10:34 PM

adelphia hdtv beta tester in 91765 reporting audio dropouts and digital tiling on hdtv, also very poor picture quality on all analog.
adelphia is currently using motorola dct5100, with rumors that they will eventually change over to the dct62xx.

technicians have been out to the house several times and report excellent signal levels.reportedly they have also checked their outlying systems and that report is all good.I suspect a dirty signal or carrier.

in the meantime I have padded down the signal 14db and now hdtv is very good and analog is very, very bad.so now I watch analog on the raw feed and digital only through the dct5100.

256 Qualm.
post #43 of 9154 Old 10-28-2003, 12:06 AM

Bradbury
Brea
Buena Park
Calabassas Park
Costa Mesa
Fullerton
Glendora
HermosaBeach
La Habra
La Habra Heights
La Verne
Manhattan Beach
Monrovia
Placentia
Redondo Beach
San Dimas
Santa Ana
Seal Beach
Simi Valley
Ventura
Villa Park
Yorba Linda

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

haha EVERYWHERE BUT ANAHEIM!!!!!!! I want it now....
post #44 of 9154 Old 10-30-2003, 12:06 PM

This is updated from the website, I know its only a little more, but it may help someone out

Beverly Hills
Bradbury
Brea
Buena Park
Calabassas Park
Costa Mesa
Diamond Bar
Fullerton
Glendora
Hermosa Beach
La Habra
La Habra Heights
La Verne
Manhattan Beach
Monrovia
Placentia
Redondo Beach
Rowland Heights
San Dimas
Santa Ana
Seal Beach
Simi Valley
Ventura
Villa Park
West Hollywood
Yorba Linda
post #45 of 9154 Old 10-31-2003, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Those that have the service through Adelphia, what are your current impressions? I know some early impressions were, well... not impressive. The channel line up is still quite lacking, but how is the picture quality and overall experience with the service? My HDTV capable set arrives Wednesday and I am debating between ordering the HD service through Adelphia and getting an OTA STB. Any information is appreciated. TIA.
post #46 of 9154 Old 11-01-2003, 12:02 AM

With this motorla set top box there giving us, can we connect an OTA antenna to it?
post #47 of 9154 Old 11-02-2003, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

If this question is answered here in this thread I missed it, but what level of service do you need to maintain in order to get Adelphia's HD offerings?

I would *hope* that since many people can get all these channels for next to nothing OTA (start-up expenses), that Adelphia wouldn't require customers to have huge subscriptions in order to receive HD. If/when HD rolls out in Thousand Oaks, I'd like to get it, but only as a supplement to my D*.

If I have to pay ~$50 just to get a few HD channels, then unfortunately I'll have to pass.

Rick

Perfect Video
ISF Calibration
Southern California & Elsewhere
Xbox Live: EnderWiggin21
post #48 of 9154 Old 11-09-2003, 11:17 AM

I just got the Adelphia HD upgrade on Saturday morning, and unfortunately I had to leave on a trip before I could attempt any fixes...but here are my early impressions:

1) The installer had no clue. For example - he insisted that analog cable channels HAD to be watched via the RF input on my TV.

2) HD content looked impressive at a cursory first glance. At the time, the only one of the three HD channels which was showing HD content was KCET...I'll wait to make judgments until I can see Monday Night Football in HD tomorrow.

3) SD cable looks like ASS -- MUCH worse than the digital cable package I had previously from Adelphia. I can't imagine why the addition of HD would screw things up so badly. The RF feed looks slightly better than the component video input, strangely enough.

As mentioned, there are only three channels (ABC, NBC, PBS) available, with no ETA for ESPN-HD or CBS. My primary interest for HD is sports, although certain primetime shows being in HD is a plus. Given the cost and the fact that many sporting events are on SD cable, I might cancel my HD subscription if PQ doesn't improve.

Hardware and configuration stuff: Samsung 507W DLP, Motorola DCT5100. I have the cable box outputting 1080i on HD and 480p override on SD so I can plug the component into Component 3, which can't handle 480i. (Component 1, the 480i/480p input on the Samsung, is occupied with my Playstation 2.) The cable box is set for 16:9, and I use the Samsung aspect control to bring SD back to normal (4:3) aspect.

Any suggestions on how to improve PQ? I haven't had a chance to mess around with turning DNIe on/off or any of the other permutations of options yet.
post #49 of 9154 Old 11-09-2003, 01:31 PM

I was a beta tester, and have since switched back to direct. I got more channels OTA (don't subscribe to movie channels), and they could not give me a date or answer if they would ever carry espn HD. In my area Y.L. I thought the standard picture looked like crap on my 55511, direct looked alot better and it was cheaper. If they had espn HD i might have stayed. But if I could not recieve channels OTA I think I would go back. I cant see spending 500 bones plus for a direct reciever. Hopefully they will follow dish and intro a reciever that will use the decoder in my tv for around 100 bones.
post #50 of 9154 Old 11-09-2003, 03:28 PM

How dissappointing.... almost nothing postive about Adelphia HD.... Maybe thats why there taking so long to get it running in my area. Thats weird how the SD looks worse.
post #51 of 9154 Old 11-10-2003, 12:32 PM

For anyone who cares about the Anaheim, California HD roll out, this is an email I recieved from them today.

Dear Habib Salamipour,

Thank you for your recent interest in HDTV. We anticipate having HDTV
available in your area by the end of the year. Recently we launched it in
Yorba Linda, Brea and La Habra. I will keep your information on file, and
when it becomes available, we will contact you.

Sincerely,

Sara Wilson
Business Office Supervisor
Adelphia of North Orange County
post #52 of 9154 Old 11-11-2003, 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jinx90277

3) SD cable looks like ASS -- MUCH worse than the digital cable package I had previously from Adelphia. I can't imagine why the addition of HD would screw things up so badly. The RF feed looks slightly better than the component video input, strangely enough.

Hardware and configuration stuff: Samsung 507W DLP, Motorola DCT5100.

I wonder if the SD problem is in the box.
Does any of the other cable cos in the area use this Moto 5100?

I have the digital feed now (Seal Beach) and the pic is pretty good. They switched out the old box for a new Motorola DCT2000 when I went to digital. I remember seeing an improvement at the time.

I would be pretty jacked up if I went to all the expense of going to HD only to have the other 98% of my content go downhill...
post #53 of 9154 Old 11-11-2003, 04:31 PM

I'm starting to suspect that the problem is the box. The DCT5100 FAQ (link available elsewhere on this forum) actually mentions that SD picture quality is a known problem with that unit.

Part of the problem is that the output resolution seems to be fixed over the component interface, if I'm reading things correctly. That means that instead of using the good Faroudja scaler in my Samsung DLP, I'm using whatever is in the box. I got a little bit of improvement by setting it to 720p (the native resolution for the Samsung), but not major strides.

The truly weird thing is that the picture quality seems to be proportional to the channel number. Digital channels (100 and above) look terrific on the new box. Analog channels (below 100) are not as good, but you can really see a difference between higher-numbered stations and lower-numbered one. For example: ESPN (channel 3) looks terrible compared to Fox Sports Net (32). CBS (2) looks the worst of all. Any guesses?

The HD signal looks AWESOME, though. If only they had more channels available...
post #54 of 9154 Old 11-11-2003, 05:36 PM

Even though I don't have it yet, It'd be nice if the could include one of the four big channels (ESPN, HDNET, Discovery, and HDmovies).... I guess with time they'll add more channels for more out of your pocket
post #55 of 9154 Old 11-18-2003, 06:11 PM

I had another appointment schduled for this morning and it took a while to get it hooked up. At first, the tech said that he reccommends putting in new wiring and splitters. The splitters actually had to be removed because they were too old. As for the wiring, I was planning on waiting till they came over and they didn't charge me either. The tech came at 9 20 and it took him about a hour to re wire and also, he grounded the wires since it wasn't there before. Once we got the HD box hooked up, he couldn't get a signal and one it part that he connected the cable to the VCR slot on the box. Once connected correctly, the box didn't download the software correctly. After about a hour we was getting ready to give up because he kept asking the control center to send "hits" but nothing worked. At about 11 30, 4 other techs came to assit with the grounding while he still messed with the box. The tech mentioned that I was the first in Anaheim so everyone is intrested to see what happens.
One tech that did most the installs in Yorba Linda was doing most the work at this point and they kept having the signal or codes reset because I couldn't get the 900's which are the HD channels. Finally at about 12 30, they sent some sort of signal and we got HD.
There are only 5 channels like everybody has beein saying (NBC, ABC, PBS, HBO, SHW). My annalog channels improved dramastically! In fact, every non-HD channel is remarkable compared to before and I say beats satellite. The digital channels are all like DVD quality. The rewiring truly made a huge difference. As for the HD channels, PBS is obviously the only one truly all HD, and I don't even watch that. I'll have to wait till tonight for the prime time shows, but, you could definitly tell how much better it is. There is no signs of compression or any pixel problems. The techs said in Yorba Linda they were having a lot of trouble with there equipment but there getting more experienced installing HD's that it'll be quicker. Not all Anaheim is available but those who can get it, I would definitly recommend it but they could definitly use ESPNHD, HDNET or Discovery. I'm a happy customer after 10 years
post #56 of 9154 Old 12-07-2003, 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by raphaelt
Hi,

There are a couple comments on the So Cal Adelphia tests at hdtvpub.

Also, I talked to a tech rep at Adelphia who informs me that my city, Sierra Madre, and neighboring Arcadia, will be part of a later rollout phase next Spring. So if your towns aren't listed here, look to next Spring to possibly get your HD signals.

It's frustrating that I'm not in the first group as I can only receive NBC and PBS off-air at my location.

Raphael

I talked to a Adelphia tech on the street yesterday and he said HD is coming to Sierra Madre in January or Febuary 2004. And the cheapest level of subscription with HD is the "bronze package" That and the box you're looking at $55 per month. BEV is a much better deal and works great in Sierra Madre!
post #57 of 9154 Old 12-29-2003, 11:10 PM

Adelphia has been doing some work. Here is an update for anyone in these areas that may not be aware of it. Straight from there web site:

HDTV is now available in the following areas:

Anaheim
Arcadia
Beverly Hills
Bell Canyon
Bradbury
Brea
Buena Park
Calabassas Park
Camarillo
Chino
Costa Mesa
Diamond Bar
Eagle Rock
El Monte
Fullerton
Glendora
Hacienda Heights
Hermosa Beach
La Habra
La Habra Heights
La Verne
Manhattan Beach
Marina Del Rey
Monrovia
Newport Beach
Ontario
Oxnard
Placentia
Redondo Beach
Rowland Heights
San Dimas
Santa Ana
Santa Monica
Seal Beach
Sierra Madre
Simi Valley
Sherman Oaks
South Gate
South Whittier
Upland
Ventura
Villa Park
West Hollywood
West Los Angeles
Yorba Linda
post #58 of 9154 Old 12-30-2003, 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Red Dwarf
BEV is a much better deal and works great in Sierra Madre!

What is BEV?
post #59 of 9154 Old 12-30-2003, 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Randu
What is BEV?

BEV is short for Bell Expressvu which is a DBS service for Canada. Their footprint covers a large part of Canada and most of the US. They offer both east and west coast networks in HD. They have CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, PBS, etc. On the other had Adelphia only offers ABC, NBC, PBS, HBO, and Showtime. BEV requires the use of a address broker for those of us in the US.
post #60 of 9154 Old 12-30-2003, 11:29 PM

Thanks
So, DBS = Satellite system?
I'll have to check them out.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page