AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDICKEY View Post
This letter arrived yesterday about the all-digital cut-over. We're still on for 7/8/2014 in 90272. This makes three mailed notices...
I wonder if this is the final one. :P http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/my-channels.html still says "coming soon" in my areas. :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8942 of 9228 Old 06-26-2014, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Odd channel numbers on new TV

Hi, New to this hi-tech stuff, still use a non-smart phone so please understand. At 63, I decided to dump my old tube TV and got a LG Hi Def LED TV. It is nice and picture is great. But, I don't understand something,,, I have TMC in Santa Clarita area. I have "Standard TV" (Basic). I run the cable directly into the TV with no boxes etc.. I receive many channels now but, the numbering is confusing. I receive a couple of channels (2.1, 7.1,etc) which seem to match the TWC listings, but, 90% of the other channels are along the lines of 24-168, 23-193, 76-204,,,, really "higher digit" numbering.

The TV does an "auto-tune" and finds these channels and I have been able to watch a show, find it on the TWC listing but listed under a different channel (say 28 or 32).

It seems the TV is fine and has something to do with what TWC puts on the cable. Any ideas??? Thanks much,,,
phildaant likes this.
post #8943 of 9228 Old 06-26-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenJ View Post
Hi, New to this hi-tech stuff, still use a non-smart phone so please understand. At 63, I decided to dump my old tube TV and got a LG Hi Def LED TV. It is nice and picture is great. But, I don't understand something,,, I have TMC in Santa Clarita area. I have "Standard TV" (Basic). I run the cable directly into the TV with no boxes etc.. I receive many channels now but, the numbering is confusing. I receive a couple of channels (2.1, 7.1,etc) which seem to match the TWC listings, but, 90% of the other channels are along the lines of 24-168, 23-193, 76-204,,,, really "higher digit" numbering.

The TV does an "auto-tune" and finds these channels and I have been able to watch a show, find it on the TWC listing but listed under a different channel (say 28 or 32).

It seems the TV is fine and has something to do with what TWC puts on the cable. Any ideas??? Thanks much,,,
Welcome to the digital world. You are getting both analog and digital (QAM). Also, TWC is going to be dumping both soon, so you will need a cable box/adapter soon from the full digital TV deployment. See http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/my-channels.html for the details.
post #8944 of 9228 Old 06-26-2014, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 29
This looks like TWC's SoCal districting zones. It may be helpful in guessing when MAXX kicks in. The last I heard was everything done by December 31:

http://www.twcmedia.com/TWC/PB/Custo...A&zone=LOS4989
phildaant likes this.

Arvy
post #8945 of 9228 Old 06-26-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 59
First of all, I don't know if we can ASS-U-ME that the WTV recording contains ONLY those bits containing the primary Video signal plus it's AC-3 Audio Signal....it MIGHT contain other "overhead" or "filler" bits, inflating the total.

You didn't give any specific comparison examples. It is POSSIBLE that the OTA signal goes through a STATMUX with another HD Channel or one or more SD Channels and perhaps a low-rate ATSC-M/H Channel.....needless to say it might be taking a big hit on quality since there is only 19.8 Mbps to allocate to all channels. Although a high data rate might SEEM to be "better", the video image is only affected by macroblocking for very short periods of time when the stream runs out of allocatable bits....a rare event which isn't going to reduce the AVERAGE bit rate by very much....the devil is in what REALLY happens during those few milliseconds of time when the image gets mushed up.....which is heavily dependent on WHEN DID THE DTV STATION LAST UPGRADE THEIR STATMUX.....IF EVER......

OTOH, although the answer might be available, we don't KNOW whether a particular Cable Company is getting a (hopefully uncompressed) feed via Fibre-Optic....or the above degraded output of the OTA STATMUX prior to being STATMUXed (again) on a QAM-256 channel, where it can MORE EFFICIENTLY share 38 Mbps. The difference is how WELL are those various STATMUX's working, such as the total extent of TIME over which they run their bit sharing algorithms....and they're getting better each and every year....

We KNOW that TWC is using fairly modern STATMUX's to pack as many channels per QAM as they deem is suitable to provide a minimally acceptable picture quality....but you MAY or MAY NOT be comparing it to a very inefficient OTA STATMUX that was installed 10+ years ago when the station first fired up their DTV Transmitter.....

BTW: STATMUX's are also used for ESPN and other channels typically delivered via C-Band Satellite to the Local Cable Headends....and DirecTV/Dishnet channels. So we may be looking at DOUBLE STATMUX signals on MOST channels.

HOWEVER, when Analog Channels go away, they free up LOTS of capacity which can be used to add more HD/VOD/PPV/SDV channels, higher data rate Internet....and MAYBE better Picture Quality if they reduce the number of channels carried per QAM carrier.....we shall soon see....

Switched Digital Video (SDV) also contributes to freeing up capacity by ONLY putting a particular program on a shared set of QAM channels when actually NEEDED on the Local Neighborhood "Loop".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by holl_ands; 06-26-2014 at 02:19 PM.
post #8946 of 9228 Old 06-26-2014, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

After TWC goes all-digital and starts scrambling the clear QAM channels (those with the dash in the number) and turns off the analog channels (those without a dash), you'll need to get a DTA. I'd order it now before all the procrastinators rush in to get theirs.
phildaant likes this.
post #8947 of 9228 Old 06-26-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 59
When you see a Channel Number with a DECIMAL in it you're watching a DIGITAL Channel using the CLEAR QAM tuner capability in your HDTV. The first number indicates the Channel Number for the Digital QAM Carrier, which are spaced every 6 MHz up to 860+ MHz (usually but not always more than the highest Analog Channel....which is probably about Ch70). The second number indicates the sub-channel number for the particular program you are watching. Each Digital QAM Carrier can support two or three HD channels plus a few SD channels...or a dozen+ SD channels. Most Digital Channels are ENCRYPTED, so you won't see them...or their number will appear but with a blank screen.

Some DVR's (like TiVo & Homerun) and some "Digital Cable Ready" HDTVs have a PCMIA card slot for a CableCARD decryption module (low cost, available only from TWC) which remaps the QAM Channel Numbers into the Channel Number normally displayed by a Cable Box....in addition to decrypting whichever Digital Tiers you pay for (if any).

In the very near future, it is expected that ALL Analog Channels will go away (freeing up LOTS of capacity) and ALL Digital Channels will be ENCRYPTED so you will no longer see ANYTHING (TWC will notify you). When that happens, TWC will mail? you a (FREE for a year?) DTA (Digital Terminal Adapter), a small box that has SOME of the functionality of a full-size Cable Box...including the channel remapping function.

Quote:

phildaant likes this.

and
and

Last edited by holl_ands; 06-26-2014 at 06:22 PM.
post #8948 of 9228 Old 06-26-2014, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvy View Post
This looks like TWC's SoCal districting zones. It may be helpful in guessing when MAXX kicks in. The last I heard was everything done by December 31:

http://www.twcmedia.com/TWC/PB/Custo...A&zone=LOS4989
Good find. This is a list of "systems" within the TWC cluster in Southern California

Those ad sales zones closely relate to the old head end and franchise designations before TWC gobbled up everything.

Back in the 1980s (when I worked in LA Cable) several systems in Los Angeles at the same time were serving different neighborhoods. Valley Cable (West Valley), United Cable (East Valley), Theta/Group W/Adelphia (Santa Monica Mountains from Woodland Hills/Pacific Palisades to Silverlake, Beverly Hills, N. Hollywood, MDR, Bell Canyon etc), CommuniCom (Hollywood-Wilshire, Culver City, LA MDR area, Corona, Bell), American Cablesystems (South Central), and Jack Berry Cable (Playa del Rey, Ladera Heights, Lennox, Westchester and Windsor Hills. These separate systems were eventually all merged together, but the outlines of where they serve is still evident in the Sys Code's TWC uses to designate how the systems are split up and advertising can be delivered to just one system.

These zones may have their own (or share with neighbors) CTMS cabinets that each need to be cut over.
phildaant likes this.
post #8949 of 9228 Old 06-26-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Good find. This is a list of "systems" within the TWC cluster in Southern California

Those ad sales zones closely relate to the old head end and franchise designations before TWC gobbled up everything.

Back in the 1980s (when I worked in LA Cable) several systems in Los Angeles at the same time were serving different neighborhoods. Valley Cable (West Valley), United Cable (East Valley), Theta/Group W/Adelphia (Santa Monica Mountains from Woodland Hills/Pacific Palisades to Silverlake, Beverly Hills, N. Hollywood, MDR, Bell Canyon etc), CommuniCom (Hollywood-Wilshire, Culver City, LA MDR area, Corona, Bell), American Cablesystems (South Central), and Jack Berry Cable (Playa del Rey, Ladera Heights, Lennox, Westchester and Windsor Hills. These separate systems were eventually all merged together, but the outlines of where they serve is still evident in the Sys Code's TWC uses to designate how the systems are split up and advertising can be delivered to just one system.

These zones may have their own (or share with neighbors) CTMS cabinets that each need to be cut over.
What about Century Communications? This was in my city before Adelphia took over. It's crazy how many are gone now. TWC is next.
post #8950 of 9228 Old 06-27-2014, 06:35 AM

Liked: 18
Strange things have started happening in LA County North which is the headend for Northridge and surrounds. On June 19, 2014 when I rebooted one of my HTPC with a Ceton 6 tuner PCIe card, it could not get OOB lock on the cableCARD and thus no CA stream or CP authorization. I filed with Ceton and got another cableCARD from TWC. This time a "new" PKM803 instead of the 800s they had been issuing. Of course it wasn't staged and it also could not get an OOB signal. Thanks to the Market Post, this is TWC System Code 0196 and is Canoga Park, Chatsworth, Granada Hills, North Hills, Northridge, Porter Ranch, Reseda, Van Nuys, West Hills, Winnetka, and Woodland Hills.

I switched to an older PCIe4 tuner from Ceton and that got OOB and the FW upgraded on the cableCARD.

On June 24th a new 6 tuner card arrived from Ceton and I installed it Wednesday morning (there had been a total cable outage on June 24th from 11:03AM to about 2-3PM) and again not OOB signal. TWC had me pull the cableCARD from the Tivo and it also no OOB signal. Back to the PCIe4 and it had to be re-paired (playing with cableCARDs kills pairing). It took TWC several attempts to get the card to get the CP authorization even though it immediately paired and got CA stream and time.

There are still some errors deep in the diagnostics in the cableCARD only on the Ceton device.

I don't know what TWC is doing, but whatever it is relates specifically to Ceton hosts, my Silicon Dust devices are paired just fine but a 6 tuner Ceton PCIe card on this system won't get any OOB signal and just keeps wandering looking for 74.5 the OOB frequency.

Ceton is aware of this and we're trying to find out what's going on. Maybe it's related to the network problem TWC had with their telephone services and the New York problems with cableCARD authorizations dropping due to narrow bandwidth OOB.

If you're running a HTPC with a Ceton tuner, keep a close check on your OOB lock and my MER rate also dropped as well.

Last edited by johnw248; 06-27-2014 at 06:49 AM.
post #8951 of 9228 Old 06-27-2014, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw248 View Post
Strange things have started happening in LA County North which is the headend for Northridge and surrounds. On June 19, 2014 when I rebooted one of my HTPC with a Ceton 6 tuner PCIe card, it could not get OOB lock on the cableCARD and thus no CA stream or CP authorization. I filed with Ceton and got another cableCARD from TWC. This time a "new" PKM803 instead of the 800s they had been issuing. Of course it wasn't staged and it also could not get an OOB signal. Thanks to the Market Post, this is TWC System Code 0196 and is Canoga Park, Chatsworth, Granada Hills, North Hills, Northridge, Porter Ranch, Reseda, Van Nuys, West Hills, Winnetka, and Woodland Hills.

I switched to an older PCIe4 tuner from Ceton and that got OOB and the FW upgraded on the cableCARD.

On June 24th a new 6 tuner card arrived from Ceton and I installed it Wednesday morning (there had been a total cable outage on June 24th from 11:03AM to about 2-3PM) and again not OOB signal. TWC had me pull the cableCARD from the Tivo and it also no OOB signal. Back to the PCIe4 and it had to be re-paired (playing with cableCARDs kills pairing). It took TWC several attempts to get the card to get the CP authorization even though it immediately paired and got CA stream and time.

There are still some errors deep in the diagnostics in the cableCARD only on the Ceton device.

I don't know what TWC is doing, but whatever it is relates specifically to Ceton hosts, my Silicon Dust devices are paired just fine but a 6 tuner Ceton PCIe card on this system won't get any OOB signal and just keeps wandering looking for 74.5 the OOB frequency.

Ceton is aware of this and we're trying to find out what's going on. Maybe it's related to the network problem TWC had with their telephone services and the New York problems with cableCARD authorizations dropping due to narrow bandwidth OOB.

If you're running a HTPC with a Ceton tuner, keep a close check on your OOB lock and my MER rate also dropped as well.
cable card issues should have no relation to phone issues. the phone issues were likely related to either back office systems or CMTS problems during the MAXX upgrades.

sounds like your total levels are marginal/borderline which causes your ceton to not see the OOB signal. a 6 tuner device must split the signal coming in internally 6 times which causes up to 10db of loss. as a comparison a 2 tuner device would have 3.5-4.0 of loss. try temporarily increasing signal strength going in by either installing an amplifier or removing the splitter that feeds your cable modem.

The other major issue of devices not seeing OOB signal is bad connectors that only affect approximately 5-90MHz. Remove/replace any poor quality or self made jumpers. Good luck!
phildaant likes this.
post #8952 of 9228 Old 06-27-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
cable card issues should have no relation to phone issues. the phone issues were likely related to either back office systems or CMTS problems during the MAXX upgrades.

sounds like your total levels are marginal/borderline which causes your ceton to not see the OOB signal. a 6 tuner device must split the signal coming in internally 6 times which causes up to 10db of loss. as a comparison a 2 tuner device would have 3.5-4.0 of loss. try temporarily increasing signal strength going in by either installing an amplifier or removing the splitter that feeds your cable modem.

The other major issue of devices not seeing OOB signal is bad connectors that only affect approximately 5-90MHz. Remove/replace any poor quality or self made jumpers. Good luck!

The phone issues were just a suggestion. The OOB signal issues in this disctrict (TWC System 0196) have been confirmed on another HUB in West Hills with the same problems as here. The Ceton 6 tuner device was one that couldn't receive the signals, the 4 tuner device can receive and lock OOB but has errors in other parts of the diagnostic pages TWC has been notified so this is not restricted to me or my location (and I'm running five cableCARDS and TAs here and now some of the SD devices are starting to show PCR lock issues. No changes made here and signal levels are no marginal just the OOB frequencies such as:

Cisco CableCARD(tm)
Generic Host Diagnostic Report
5. FAT Status Report
PCR Lock: Not locked
MOD-Mode: 256-QAM
Carrier Lock: Not Locked
SNR: 0.0dB
Signal Level: 6481.6dBmV
post #8953 of 9228 Old 06-28-2014, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The phone issues were just a suggestion. The OOB signal issues in this disctrict (TWC System 0196) have been confirmed on another HUB in West Hills with the same problems as here. The Ceton 6 tuner device was one that couldn't receive the signals, the 4 tuner device can receive and lock OOB but has errors in other parts of the diagnostic pages TWC has been notified so this is not restricted to me or my location (and I'm running five cableCARDS and TAs here and now some of the SD devices are starting to show PCR lock issues. No changes made here and signal levels are no marginal just the OOB frequencies such as:

Cisco CableCARD(tm)
5. FAT Status Report
MOD-Mode: 256-QAM
Signal Level: 6481.6dBmV
Just because no changes were made in the home doesnt mean the signals aren't marginal. Warmer temperatures and many other factors affects signal strength. The fact that you have 5 devices plus I'm assuming a cable modem means your signal level was already low to begin with unless you have an amplifier. The OOB signal your CC devices look at is the same as the one that the tens of thousands of TWC issued STBs in your area. If there was OOB issue from the hub then TWC wouldn't be able to do any new installs, upgrades, downgrade, or shutting down of STBs. Non TWC CC devices diagnostics are far from accurate especially since 6481.6dBmV is an impossible level.
post #8954 of 9228 Old 06-28-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Just because no changes were made in the home doesnt mean the signals aren't marginal. Warmer temperatures and many other factors affects signal strength. The fact that you have 5 devices plus I'm assuming a cable modem means your signal level was already low to begin with unless you have an amplifier. The OOB signal your CC devices look at is the same as the one that the tens of thousands of TWC issued STBs in your area. If there was OOB issue from the hub then TWC wouldn't be able to do any new installs, upgrades, downgrade, or shutting down of STBs. Non TWC CC devices diagnostics are far from accurate especially since 6481.6dBmV is an impossible level.

No cable modem--nope on DSL. There is an amp at the drop and signal levels are well within range throughout the installation. For example RF Stats from a TA
CURRENT FDC
Freq: 74.500 MHz
DAVIC: Connected
Level: -1 dBmV
Seconds: 324362
Corr Bytes: 201
Uncor Blks: 511
Errs Avg/Inst: 0 / 0
Total Bytes: 661789154
S/N: 33 dB
CURRENT QAM
Freq: 843.000 MHz
Tuning Mode: QAM-256
Level: 4 dBmV

Also issues have appeared at another location I take care of on a different hub and nine miles west of me in the same system. BTW only the 6 tuner Ceton cards I had would not lock DAVIC on the CableCARD so there may be an issue with the Ceton OOB receiver and I don't know if the FAT and FDC reports from the host to the CableCARD are accurate. But now I'm seeing FAT report errors on Silicon Dust Prime as well. All these devices still have DAVIC lock get CA streams and CP authorizations. It was just the 6 tuner Ceton PCIe card that went unlocked and then unauthorized.
From a SD device
Cisco CableCARD(tm)
5. FAT Status Report
MOD-Mode: Analog
Signal Level: 6425.6dBmV
Cisco CableCARD(tm)
6. FDC Status Report:
FDC Center Freq: 74.50MHz
Carrier Lock: Locked
post #8955 of 9228 Old 06-28-2014, 11:34 AM

Thank you for the explaination. Trying to purchase a DVR will be my next challenge..

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
When you see a Channel Number with a DECIMAL in it you're watching a DIGITAL Channel using the CLEAR QAM tuner capability in your HDTV. The first number indicates the Channel Number for the Digital QAM Carrier, which are spaced every 6 MHz up to 860+ MHz (usually but not always more than the highest Analog Channel....which is probably about Ch70). The second number indicates the sub-channel number for the particular program you are watching. Each Digital QAM Carrier can support two or three HD channels plus a few SD channels...or a dozen+ SD channels. Most Digital Channels are ENCRYPTED, so you won't see them...or their number will appear but with a blank screen.

Some DVR's (like TiVo & Homerun) and some "Digital Cable Ready" HDTVs have a PCMIA card slot for a CableCARD decryption module (low cost, available only from TWC) which remaps the QAM Channel Numbers into the Channel Number normally displayed by a Cable Box....in addition to decrypting whichever Digital Tiers you pay for (if any).

In the very near future, it is expected that ALL Analog Channels will go away (freeing up LOTS of capacity) and ALL Digital Channels will be ENCRYPTED so you will no longer see ANYTHING (TWC will notify you). When that happens, TWC will mail? you a (FREE for a year?) DTA (Digital Terminal Adapter), a small box that has SOME of the functionality of a full-size Cable Box...including the channel remapping function.
post #8956 of 9228 Old 06-28-2014, 11:41 AM

Thank you for a reply. Guess I best figure my next step. Thought I'd like to have a DVR but hate to lease from TMC as they charge for it, and if it is HD and just for it's "service". Better start reading to get up to speed. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Welcome to the digital world. You are getting both analog and digital (QAM). Also, TWC is going to be dumping both soon, so you will need a cable box/adapter soon from the full digital TV deployment. See http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/my-channels.html for the details.
phildaant likes this.
post #8957 of 9228 Old 06-28-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for a reply. Guess I best figure my next step. Thought I'd like to have a DVR but hate to lease from TMC as they charge for it, and if it is HD and just for it's "service". Better start reading to get up to speed. Thanks again.
You could buy a TiVo to subscribe or pay upfront for lifetime. Or build your own DVR with a computer (still requires you to buy a cable card from TWC [not TMC], might be too complex for you, but you would have full control over this).
post #8958 of 9228 Old 06-28-2014, 11:53 AM

Thank you for a reply, guess the world is really changing fast!

Quote:
After TWC goes all-digital and starts scrambling the clear QAM channels (those with the dash in the number) and turns off the analog channels (those without a dash), you'll need to get a DTA. I'd order it now before all the procrastinators rush in to get theirs.
phildaant likes this.
post #8959 of 9228 Old 06-28-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for a reply, guess the world is really changing fast!
It sure is! It's difficult to keep up! Argh!
post #8960 of 9228 Old 06-30-2014, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No cable modem--nope on DSL. There is an amp at the drop and signal levels are well within range throughout the installation. For example RF Stats from a TA
CURRENT FDC
Freq: 74.500 MHz
DAVIC: Connected
Level: -1 dBmV
Seconds: 324362
Corr Bytes: 201
Uncor Blks: 511
Errs Avg/Inst: 0 / 0
Total Bytes: 661789154
S/N: 33 dB
CURRENT QAM
Freq: 843.000 MHz
Tuning Mode: QAM-256
Level: 4 dBmV

Those are decent levels for a single tuner device. I trust diagnostic levels from a TA since it's cable company issued. Diagnostics from Ceton devices are often inaccurate. But for a 6 tuner device, you will need +10db going in because the internal 6 way splitter will cause 10db of loss. Increase your levels going to the Ceton and watch the issues go away.
post #8961 of 9228 Old 06-30-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Those are decent levels for a single tuner device. I trust diagnostic levels from a TA since it's cable company issued. Diagnostics from Ceton devices are often inaccurate. But for a 6 tuner device, you will need +10db going in because the internal 6 way splitter will cause 10db of loss. Increase your levels going to the Ceton and watch the issues go away.

Actually there is a 12db pad in that line. The 6 tuner device was receiving a hotter signal. Right now they're both scheduled to be in the hands of Ceton on Tuesday and I'm told that TWC is investigating issues because of other reports of OCUR issues in this district. We'll see what develops, right now I'm not discounting anything from a problem on a neighbor's drop to the node to the headend. I had a healthy signal and everything was working up to the fateful Thursday June 19.
post #8962 of 9228 Old 06-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Actually there is a 12db pad in that line. The 6 tuner device was receiving a hotter signal. Right now they're both scheduled to be in the hands of Ceton on Tuesday and I'm told that TWC is investigating issues because of other reports of OCUR issues in this district. We'll see what develops, right now I'm not discounting anything from a problem on a neighbor's drop to the node to the headend. I had a healthy signal and everything was working up to the fateful Thursday June 19.
Was that 12db pad there placed by you or a TWC tech. You do understand what I'm telling you that a 6 tuner device needs more signal than a 1 or 2 tuner device.

TWC may say their investigating but problems like this isolated to so few customers AND on equipment not owned or issued by them will always be on the back burner...especially now that their super busy doing analog drops, DTA deployment, and MAXX upgrades.
phildaant likes this.
post #8963 of 9228 Old 06-30-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Was that 12db pad there placed by you or a TWC tech. You do understand what I'm telling you that a 6 tuner device needs more signal than a 1 or 2 tuner device.

TWC may say their investigating but problems like this isolated to so few customers AND on equipment not owned or issued by them will always be on the back burner...especially now that their super busy doing analog drops, DTA deployment, and MAXX upgrades.

Yes I understand about the signal level needing to be higher for a multiple tuner device due to the internal splitting of the signal to the various tuners.

I don't know how fast or when TWC will respond to this but I have heard they are investigating from more than one source inside and outside of TWC. I was one of the first cableCARD customers back in 2005 with a single stream card in a JVC TV set and the first Vista ATI DCT customer as well so I know most of the field techs in my district. We'll see how this gets resolved. When through the learning curve on SDV with TWC when it was introduced and beta tests new TA FW updates as well.
phildaant likes this.
post #8964 of 9228 Old 06-30-2014, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So you sent back 2 devices back to Ceton cause you think it's a hardward issue and you also believe it's a TWC issue? Which is it?
post #8965 of 9228 Old 06-30-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
So you sent back 2 devices back to Ceton cause you think it's a hardward issue and you also believe it's a TWC issue? Which is it?
Time will tell. At first it seemed like it was HW since a second cableCARD also didn't get OOB lock on the original device and I could get OOB lock on a 4 tuner device. It was RMA'd and the second 6 tuner device had the same results with multiple cableCARDs so right now the jury is out. That's when other incidents started appearing so it's an open question.

If I could answer the question, there wouldn't be a question and there wouldn't be a post in the first place. Looking for information and solutions.
post #8966 of 9228 Old 06-30-2014, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Time will tell. At first it seemed like it was HW since a second cableCARD also didn't get OOB lock on the original device and I could get OOB lock on a 4 tuner device. It was RMA'd and the second 6 tuner device had the same results with multiple cableCARDs so right now the jury is out. That's when other incidents started appearing so it's an open question.

If I could answer the question, there wouldn't be a question and there wouldn't be a post in the first place. Looking for information and solutions.
I answered it for you already. It's low signal level going into the Ceton caused by the 12db pad. These things simply do not work without the proper signal level. Take that 12db pad and place it in front of your currently working devices and see what it does. It will make them not work!
post #8967 of 9228 Old 06-30-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I answered it for you already. It's low signal level going into the Ceton caused by the 12db pad. These things simply do not work without the proper signal level. Take that 12db pad and place it in front of your currently working devices and see what it does. It will make them not work!
Sorry you're not following me correctly. There was NO 12db pad on the 6 tuner ceton, I put that in with the TA when TWC CableCARD Support looked at the signal and said it was hot. The Signal doesn't daisy chain through the TA, there is a splitter and each leg goes to a device. The signal to the TA was too hot so the 12 db pad.

Don't have a 6 tuner unit now for comparison and you didn't like the numbers off 3rd party equipment anyway.

Thanks for your comments, but I don't think we're getting anywhere.
post #8968 of 9228 Old 07-01-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
In the last day or two I noticed that MSNBC which was in HD via my tuner box is nor in SD. Is this system wide or a new Tier issue. It's channel 446 via my DTA. The surrounding channels are still in HD. I called it in but obviously they know nothing. Thanks.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #8969 of 9228 Old 07-01-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 106
MSNBC/446 via cablecard (and Ceton 4-tuner HTPC) is in HD here, as always.
post #8970 of 9228 Old 07-01-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
MSNBC/446 via cablecard (and Ceton 4-tuner HTPC) is in HD here, as always.
Thanks. It could be related to the changes but it was in HD until very recently. Sigh.
Oh, and I have the Technicolor DTA.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page