Los Angeles, CA - TWC - Page 301 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 145Likes

post #9001 of 9313 Old 07-10-2014, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I've had occasional problems in getting the TA to work when I've had to restart the Tivo, so that has given some insight into the channels using SDV. At the very least one is BBC America since we're big Dr. Who fans we found that missing when the TA was not authorized properly.

Here's another question for the group: We're a Moto system and they are issuing the (I think Technicolor/Thomson built) "DCI401TWC2 as the adapter when you request one with HDMI out. Seems to work fine and remote was programmable to command both an ancient Sharp 15" CRT set (analog in) and an early Westinghouse LCD (HDMI in). However, in one or two cases I'd like to use the DTA with an older Tivo that has analog inputs and uses an IR blaster to change channels. I've got that sort of setup in one room but use the standard (non-DVR) Moto STB with a 2nd Gen Tivo and the analog outputs since it is a secondary viewing venue and HD isn't required. However, since it is a full scale STB I can still use the IR blaster to change channels.

Opps! For the office setup where I just use another Gen. 2 Tivo with analog RF in I suspect I'll soon be facing the "black screen of no channel death". Could rent an STB but I'm cheap and don't want to. Could use the DTA, but the Tivo won't be able to talk to it via IR. I'm sure there are ways around that but maybe someone here has already figured this out. Otherwise, the four old analog Tivos go on E-Bay or maybe WeakKnees will take them in trade for a used HD Tivo.

Any thoughts from TWC consumers on this? THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9002 of 9313 Old 07-10-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post
Just set up with the new TW modem. Will report my findings and thoughts in a few days.
Is that actually 300/20??

Where are you located?

And do you know what the brand/model is of that TW modem? Is it a modem+router, or just a modem? If just a modem, what router are you using with it?
post #9003 of 9313 Old 07-11-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hey Big D.

Yes that is 300/20 +
Costa Mesa
Arris TG1672G
http://www.arrisi.com/product_catalo...PF_01JUL13.pdf
phildaant likes this.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #9004 of 9313 Old 07-11-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 61
TWC "Ultimate" Service is now 300 Mbps in a few lucky areas....more to come....soon:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/ab...es-la-nyc.html

Although in San Diego we don't have 300 Mbps (max is still 50 Mbps, they haven't even announced when they're killing the Analog channels), "Ultimate" Service is $65/mo....it might be higher in L.A.
phildaant likes this.
post #9005 of 9313 Old 07-11-2014, 10:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
TWC "Ultimate" Service is now 300 Mbps in a few lucky areas....more to come....soon:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/ab...es-la-nyc.html
This is the TWC MAXX upgrade first announced back in January. So far only Costa Mesa and West Hollywood have been upgraded officially I think, although there are other areas coming online little by little.

Claim in the announcement is "complete for all of LA by end of the year", so there is an ongoing rolling upgrade process.

"The network and Internet speed upgrades will soon come to the LA areas of Covina, Cypress, Hoover, Crenshaw District and Jefferson Park, and to upper Manhattan and additional neighborhoods in Queens and Staten Island in New York City. By the end of June, TWC will be delivering the new, faster speed plans to more than 200,000 customers." There are many millions of broadband subscribers in LA and NY, so planned delivery of the MAXX upgrade to 200,000 by end-of-June (per the April press release, not per reality) is not a very rapid rollout.

Anyway, there's nothing we can do but wait. It's ongoing, and will eventually arrive.

As has been discussed before, this delay just provides more time to think about whether or not to eventually retain Turbo or Extreme service tiers for their additional $10 or $20 over standard speeds... which will newly be 50Mb/s with MAXX instead of current 15Mb/s, and will be much faster than current Extreme (30Mb/s) for that $20 premium. So go back to Standard (which can get by with the 4-channel modem I already have), get 50Mb/s instead of current 30Mb/s with Extreme, and save $20/month by not having Extreme (which will change to Ultimate 200 with MAXX for the same $20 premium over Standard, but which will require a new 16-channel modem purchased or rented).
phildaant likes this.
post #9006 of 9313 Old 07-12-2014, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 35
From the www.dslreports.com forums, these areas have confirmations of MAXX upgrades. The hub I'm in, Monrovia, has upgraded. I'm at 50/5 on the old Turbo plan which is really 100/10 now but my own modem, a SB6121, is capped at 50/5.

Astoria NY 11102, 11103
Long Island City,NY 11106, 11101
Woodside, NY 11377
Sunnyside 11104
New York, NY 10030, 10128, 10028, 10035, 10022, 10021
Flushing, NY 11355
Elmhurst, NY 11373
Jackson Heights, NY 11372
E. Elmhurst, NY 11370

Cypress, CA 90630
Los Angeles, CA 90037, 90007, 90011
Covina, CA 91723, 91724
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Monrovia, CA 91016
Ventura, CA 93003
Corona, CA 92881

Austin, TX
Round Rock, TX

Arvy
post #9007 of 9313 Old 07-14-2014, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvy View Post
From the www.dslreports.com forums, these areas have confirmations of MAXX upgrades. The hub I'm in, Monrovia, has upgraded. I'm at 50/5 on the old Turbo plan which is really 100/10 now but my own modem, a SB6121, is capped at 50/5.

Astoria NY 11102, 11103
Long Island City,NY 11106, 11101
Woodside, NY 11377
Sunnyside 11104
New York, NY 10030, 10128, 10028, 10035, 10022, 10021
Flushing, NY 11355
Elmhurst, NY 11373
Jackson Heights, NY 11372
E. Elmhurst, NY 11370

Cypress, CA 90630
Los Angeles, CA 90037, 90007, 90011
Covina, CA 91723, 91724
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Monrovia, CA 91016
Ventura, CA 93003
Corona, CA 92881

Austin, TX
Round Rock, TX
And I'm happy with 3 meg DSL.
JJK
post #9008 of 9313 Old 07-14-2014, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Wink

TWC deployed in major markets because of demand for higher speeds, the prices they can charge here, etc. Heck, I was happy getting bumped to 56K from 28K just a few years back. All it took was a new chip in the modem, too.
phildaant likes this.

Arvy
post #9009 of 9313 Old 07-15-2014, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
I would be curious as to what the Down/Up-Load Speeds are to Servers at different locations in the U.S. [e.g. NYC, Silicon Valley, Portland, Seattle & where are Netflix, et.al. Servers????] as well as overseas, such as various countries in Europe and same distance as Electronics Support sites in Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong.
Speedtest.net publishes that along with many other net news sources. USA is way down the list worldwide.

Last edited by SPDICKEY; 07-15-2014 at 11:31 AM.
post #9010 of 9313 Old 07-15-2014, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
TWC "Ultimate" Service is now 300 Mbps in a few lucky areas....more to come....soon
I'm totally jazzed. Here in Northridge -- which I call the "armpit of the Northwest LA Valley" -- we actually hit 320Mbps on Time-Warner Cable yesterday:

I've been whining and complaining about bad Crime-Warner (excuse me, Time-Warner) service for years, so I'm kind of in shock that they not only equalled FiOS service but actually surpassed it! No issues so far, but I have to say, I still run into clunky websites with balky servers, and I've realized the problem is not my end but their end.

I've also said for years that 4K video would never work for streaming, but with 320Mbps bandwidth, it might actually be possible, to a point.

For those adding to ISP databases, this is the 91326 area (Porter Ranch / Chatsworth / Northridge) not far from the 118 Freeway. $80/month "ultimate" service is supposed to give you 300Mbps, but we're getting 320Mbps -- more than promised. Right now, the Upload speed (21Mbps) is faster than the old download speed we used to get a week or two ago!
joe221 likes this.

Last edited by Marc Wielage; 07-15-2014 at 02:16 AM.
post #9011 of 9313 Old 07-15-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
$80/month "ultimate" service is supposed to give you 300Mbps, but we're getting 320Mbps -- more than promised. Right now, the Upload speed (21Mbps) is faster than the old download speed we used to get a week or two ago!
In my experience, both speeds are about 5-10% above what they are rated, and have really always been that way for quite a while. This is nothing new with MAXX but to be honest I'm surprised they continue to provide +10% even with the brand new MAX speeds.

I think it started some time ago when they implemented "Turbo-boost" (or some kind of similar name), which provided a HUGE initial much faster speed when you started a download, I guess theoretically to get your very likely fairly small package of data over with quickly and get you out of the way fast. But if you had a big download, your speed would fairly soon reduce back to the proper rated value.

Then they seem to have done away with Turbo-boost, replacing it with what appears to have been a flat 10% higher speed continuously, as Speedtest has been showing (for me, anyway) for a long time now.

I assume that you, too, replaced your modem+router for the new Arris box you're renting from TWC, in order to get your 320/21 speed? Are you using it as a router as well? Or did you have TWC set it to "bridge mode" (for modem-only) to allow you to use your own router? Last year I had originally the Motorola SB6580 modem+router as my own purchased solution to avoiding paying rent to TWC, but was so unhappy with the Motorola firmware and user-interface and inadequate router functionality and stability that I ditched it for a Netgear CMD31T modem-only, so that I could use my own Netgear WNDR4000 router. Netgear knows how to make equipment and functionality, and also how to program a user-interface.
post #9012 of 9313 Old 07-15-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I assume that you, too, replaced your modem+router for the new Arris box you're renting from TWC, in order to get your 320/21 speed? Are you using it as a router as well? Or did you have TWC set it to "bridge mode" (for modem-only) to allow you to use your own router? Last year I had originally the Motorola SB6580 modem+router as my own purchased solution to avoiding paying rent to TWC, but was so unhappy with the Motorola firmware and user-interface and inadequate router functionality and stability that I ditched it for a Netgear CMD31T modem-only, so that I could use my own Netgear WNDR4000 router. Netgear knows how to make equipment and functionality, and also how to program a user-interface.
Yes, new modem (Arris Touchstone DG1670) and router. Even the WiFi speeds are very fast (to me): about 18 down and 21 up -- don't ask me why the upload feeds are faster.

We have 5 computers wired to the router, plus the iPad and the phones and an Apple TV connected via WiFi, and they've been zero trouble so far.
post #9013 of 9313 Old 07-15-2014, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Am getting TV via OTA indoor antenna and internet through TWC. Was getting frustrated with having to adjust for the VHF channels and promotion period ended. Figured I'd bit the bullet and sign up for a bundle since TWC was going to charge me the same for internet only versus starter TV bundle.

Should I expect a drop in video quality or is TWC HDTV quality pretty good?

Also does anyone know when MAXX is coming to 90034 and/or Culver City service areas?
phildaant likes this.
post #9014 of 9313 Old 07-15-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
Figured I'd bit the bullet and sign up for a bundle since TWC was going to charge me the same for internet only versus starter TV bundle. Should I expect a drop in video quality or is TWC HDTV quality pretty good? Also does anyone know when MAXX is coming to 90034 and/or Culver City service areas?
These are all good questions. I'm curious as to whether their cable video bitrate went up when the internet bandwidth went through the roof.

I'm generally satisfied with DirecTV, and my take is that the compression I see via MPEG4 doesn't kill me. I've experienced far more cable outages than I have sat outages over the years.

One major issue with cable: when they need to add channels, they have to either drop the bitrate on everything, drop some existing channels, or both. They only have a finite bucket to work with. With satellite, if they need to add more HD channels, they just buy a new billion-dollar satellite and launch it. It doesn't affect the performanace of the other existing channels (in theory).

I used to slam the crap out of digital cable until I saw a demo of FiOS, and there they were getting roughly 15-16Mbps on HD video, which is very good (albeit only half of an average Blu-ray). So I've tempered my opinion to say, "cable video quality really sucks... unless you've got an ultra-fast connection like FiOS." One hopes Time-Warner MAXX will also grab the crown as well.
post #9015 of 9313 Old 07-15-2014, 11:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
One major issue with cable: when they need to add channels, they have to either drop the bitrate on everything, drop some existing channels, or both. They only have a finite bucket to work with.
Not true any longer.

That's what SDV is designed to solve, although it does require a Tuning Adapter. The premise is that a channel you want to tune to is "requested", and only that channel is delivered. All of the other hundreds or thousands of potentially available channels don't need to be provided through the same pipe if they're not going to be needed at that moment.

So the existing delivery infrastructure isn't "finite". Theoretically there is no longer any limit at all to the number of channels which can now be provided over existing constant infrastructure, since only that channel you need to deliver is delivered. That's what SDV is about, and that's what the Tuning Adapter is for... to request the desired channel to be delivered.
post #9016 of 9313 Old 07-16-2014, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:

I used to slam the crap out of digital cable until I saw a demo of FiOS, and there they were getting roughly 15-16Mbps on HD video, which is very good (albeit only half of an average Blu-ray). So I've tempered my opinion to say, "cable video quality really sucks... unless you've got an ultra-fast connection like FiOS." One hopes Time-Warner MAXX will also grab the crown as well.
Although FiOS does generally have better picture quality than incumbent cable operators, they are limited to the same 135 QAM channels of bandwith for linear video as fully upgraded 860MHz cable systems. FiOS VOD and internet comes over a seperate fiber wavelength which gives them the advantage of about 24 QAM channels that cable operators use for advanced DOCSIS (16 channels) and VOD (8 channels).
post #9017 of 9313 Old 07-17-2014, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Well I'm glad that the internet is working up the street, but here (91324) TV on cableCARD is off the rails. Had a tech yesterday that measured all the signals, pole, ground block outside, ground block to inside, cable inside from ground block, ahead of amp, after amp and all the signal were good. He replaced a couple of questionable connectors and when everything was reconnected had two of the SD Primes that were not getting OOB lock.

Today the TAs are losing pairing and have to be power cycled to keep working. Not very good at all. Had another long talk with Tech support in New York and they are aware of the problems with cableCARD on Cisco systems with the rebuilt and they are working on trying to restore service to a stable service.

Things actually seemed to get worse after the Tech was here but that was only because whatever they're working through inside caused more problems here.

But I have proof now that there is nothing wrong here with signal levels and they know there are problems pairing cableCARD, TAs DAVIC and OOB locks. Also SNR on OOB is all over the map and last night it dropped to 21 db on the Ceton although the 4T model remained locked. Hopefully this will all get fixed quickly--hate to have to wait until Comcast comes in to fix it.
post #9018 of 9313 Old 07-17-2014, 10:12 PM

doh...just realized that i will need a digital tuner for my starter tv package. so much for doing my research. at least the monthly charge gets waived until 2017 :\

sorry if this is a dumb question but should i expect the same video quality using one of these digital adapters versus the qam tuner in my tv? also...is there a recommended digital adapter that works well with harmony universal remotes?
phildaant likes this.
post #9019 of 9313 Old 07-17-2014, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
doh...just realized that i will need a digital tuner for my starter tv package. so much for doing my research. at least the monthly charge gets waived until 2017 :\

sorry if this is a dumb question but should i expect the same video quality using one of these digital adapters versus the qam tuner in my tv? also...is there a recommended digital adapter that works well with harmony universal remotes?
Your choice is what TWC gives you. They have one for Cisco areas and one for Moto areas. The quality should match clearQAM since it's the same signal with the encryption put on it so people can't steal the cable signal. As for the Harmony, you'll have to see if they have codes for either of the two devices. If they don't now, I'm pretty sure they'll be added in the future.

Remember the difference between the DTA and a STB is you will not be able to receive other programming without changing out the DTA for a STB, i.e. anything on tiers other than basic/starter. There are limited outputs on the DTA and to get the best quality you'll need to use the HDMI out which will prevent you from recording the output.
phildaant likes this.
post #9020 of 9313 Old 07-17-2014, 11:49 PM

Picture looks a little softer going from OTAHD to TWC. But its ok. Beats having to adjust the bunny ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw248 View Post
Your choice is what TWC gives you. They have one for Cisco areas and one for Moto areas. The quality should match clearQAM since it's the same signal with the encryption put on it so people can't steal the cable signal. As for the Harmony, you'll have to see if they have codes for either of the two devices. If they don't now, I'm pretty sure they'll be added in the future.

Remember the difference between the DTA and a STB is you will not be able to receive other programming without changing out the DTA for a STB, i.e. anything on tiers other than basic/starter. There are limited outputs on the DTA and to get the best quality you'll need to use the HDMI out which will prevent you from recording the output.
Thank you! Didn't plan on doing any recording. Just wanted to make sure I can keep my setup the same (coming from OTA with no DVR to Starter TV)
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by henhowc; 07-17-2014 at 11:55 PM.
post #9021 of 9313 Old 07-18-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Not so much. In my area, West LA 90025, I got the Technicolor model and it is RF only so no Harmony love at all, ever. {Sad Trombone} I also have an issue with MSNBC and a few others that WERE in HD for the first couple of weeks I had the box then got into an SD squish mode. I checked with a friend and her Technicolor box does the same thing. I've called three times with no resolve. I only have this box on my kitchen TV as I'm DirecTV for everything else in the apt. My condo has TWC so it does kitchen duty.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #9022 of 9313 Old 07-18-2014, 08:17 AM

Bummer. I hope my area gives out a different model. I'm in Palms though so I think we might be part of the same area.

I tried to order a dta online but it's saying I'm not eligible for the equipment. Do they not give them out until your area actually goes all digital or can I just walk into thei office and just request one?
post #9023 of 9313 Old 07-18-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Bummer. I hope my area gives out a different model. I'm in Palms though so I think we might be part of the same area.

I tried to order a dta online but it's saying I'm not eligible for the equipment. Do they not give them out until your area actually goes all digital or can I just walk into thei office and just request one?
Yes just go and get one or more as needed, free now $1.50 later. I'm in "former Adelphia" as it's often referred to. Century, Group W, Theta. If that's your area, most likely Technicolor. I was major bummed too. The wonky channel is the Cherry on top. It will cost me over $100 to put a wireless Genie in the kitchen, so I'm living with it for now. In Sept my contract with D*!rolls so maybe I can wangle a better deal.

post #9024 of 9313 Old 07-18-2014, 12:29 PM

So I just picked mine up. Its the technicolor DCI401TWC2. Harmony lists it as a supported device for my smart control so thats good.

Turned on my TV and the image was pink. Oh no! lol Forgot I had manually set my RGB/colorspace settings. Setting to auto fixed this. Just a FYI in case anyone else has a brainfart like me.

Gonna be a pain in the butt memorizing these channels now that I can't filter out the channels I don't watch like with QAM. Guess I need to print out one of those channel guides. :P
post #9025 of 9313 Old 07-18-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So I just picked mine up. Its the technicolor DCI401TWC2. Harmony lists it as a supported device for my smart control so thats good.

Turned on my TV and the image was pink. Oh no! lol Forgot I had manually set my RGB/colorspace settings. Setting to auto fixed this. Just a FYI in case anyone else has a brainfart like me.

Gonna be a pain in the butt memorizing these channels now that I can't filter out the channels I don't watch like with QAM. Guess I need to print out one of those channel guides. :P
That's the one I have. I tried to set up my One. No go. Can the Smart Control talk to it via RF, directly? I couldn't find the model at all.

post #9026 of 9313 Old 07-18-2014, 01:18 PM

My Smart Control came with a hub
post #9027 of 9313 Old 07-18-2014, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Time Warner Cable promises one-gigabit Internet for L.A. in 2016

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...717-story.html

Anyone see this article? I assume this will only happen if the merger with Comcast is nixed.
phildaant likes this.
post #9028 of 9313 Old 07-18-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastaclocksetta View Post
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...717-story.html

Anyone see this article? I assume this will only happen if the merger with Comcast is nixed.
I will believe it when I see it!
post #9029 of 9313 Old 07-18-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My Smart Control came with a hub
I know I have one but I used it to convert an Ultimate One to an Ultimate. So, does it control the Technicolor?

post #9030 of 9313 Old 07-18-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post
I know I have one but I used it to convert an Ultimate One to an Ultimate. So, does it control the Technicolor?
if you have the ultimate hub it should add RF capability to your remote. when you add a device it should be under timewarner
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page