Los Angeles, CA - TWC - Page 301 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #9001 of 9006 Old 07-10-2014, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've had occasional problems in getting the TA to work when I've had to restart the Tivo, so that has given some insight into the channels using SDV. At the very least one is BBC America since we're big Dr. Who fans we found that missing when the TA was not authorized properly.

Here's another question for the group: We're a Moto system and they are issuing the (I think Technicolor/Thomson built) "DCI401TWC2 as the adapter when you request one with HDMI out. Seems to work fine and remote was programmable to command both an ancient Sharp 15" CRT set (analog in) and an early Westinghouse LCD (HDMI in). However, in one or two cases I'd like to use the DTA with an older Tivo that has analog inputs and uses an IR blaster to change channels. I've got that sort of setup in one room but use the standard (non-DVR) Moto STB with a 2nd Gen Tivo and the analog outputs since it is a secondary viewing venue and HD isn't required. However, since it is a full scale STB I can still use the IR blaster to change channels.

Opps! For the office setup where I just use another Gen. 2 Tivo with analog RF in I suspect I'll soon be facing the "black screen of no channel death". Could rent an STB but I'm cheap and don't want to. Could use the DTA, but the Tivo won't be able to talk to it via IR. I'm sure there are ways around that but maybe someone here has already figured this out. Otherwise, the four old analog Tivos go on E-Bay or maybe WeakKnees will take them in trade for a used HD Tivo.

Any thoughts from TWC consumers on this? THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9002 of 9006 Old 07-10-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post
Just set up with the new TW modem. Will report my findings and thoughts in a few days.
Is that actually 300/20??

Where are you located?

And do you know what the brand/model is of that TW modem? Is it a modem+router, or just a modem? If just a modem, what router are you using with it?
post #9003 of 9006 Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hey Big D.

Yes that is 300/20 +
Costa Mesa
Arris TG1672G
http://www.arrisi.com/product_catalo...PF_01JUL13.pdf

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #9004 of 9006 Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 49
TWC "Ultimate" Service is now 300 Mbps in a few lucky areas....more to come....soon:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/ab...es-la-nyc.html

Although in San Diego we don't have 300 Mbps (max is still 50 Mbps, they haven't even announced when they're killing the Analog channels), "Ultimate" Service is $65/mo....it might be higher in L.A.
phildaant likes this.
post #9005 of 9006 Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
TWC "Ultimate" Service is now 300 Mbps in a few lucky areas....more to come....soon:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/ab...es-la-nyc.html
This is the TWC MAXX upgrade first announced back in January. So far only Costa Mesa and West Hollywood have been upgraded officially I think, although there are other areas coming online little by little.

Claim in the announcement is "complete for all of LA by end of the year", so there is an ongoing rolling upgrade process.

"The network and Internet speed upgrades will soon come to the LA areas of Covina, Cypress, Hoover, Crenshaw District and Jefferson Park, and to upper Manhattan and additional neighborhoods in Queens and Staten Island in New York City. By the end of June, TWC will be delivering the new, faster speed plans to more than 200,000 customers." There are many millions of broadband subscribers in LA and NY, so planned delivery of the MAXX upgrade to 200,000 by end-of-June (per the April press release, not per reality) is not a very rapid rollout.

Anyway, there's nothing we can do but wait. It's ongoing, and will eventually arrive.

As has been discussed before, this delay just provides more time to think about whether or not to eventually retain Turbo or Extreme service tiers for their additional $10 or $20 over standard speeds... which will newly be 50Mb/s with MAXX instead of current 15Mb/s, and will be much faster than current Extreme (30Mb/s) for that $20 premium. So go back to Standard (which can get by with the 4-channel modem I already have), get 50Mb/s instead of current 30Mb/s with Extreme, and save $20/month by not having Extreme (which will change to Ultimate 200 with MAXX for the same $20 premium over Standard, but which will require a new 16-channel modem purchased or rented).
phildaant likes this.
post #9006 of 9006 Old Today, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
From the www.dslreports.com forums, these areas have confirmations of MAXX upgrades. The hub I'm in, Monrovia, has upgraded. I'm at 50/5 on the old Turbo plan which is really 100/10 now but my own modem, a SB6121, is capped at 50/5.

Astoria NY 11102, 11103
Long Island City,NY 11106, 11101
Woodside, NY 11377
Sunnyside 11104
New York, NY 10030, 10128, 10028, 10035, 10022, 10021
Flushing, NY 11355
Elmhurst, NY 11373
Jackson Heights, NY 11372
E. Elmhurst, NY 11370

Cypress, CA 90630
Los Angeles, CA 90037, 90007, 90011
Covina, CA 91723, 91724